ImageImageImageImageImage

Charles Oakley on the knicks

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85

knicksnyk
Sixth Man
And1: 42

Charles Oakley on the knicks 

Post#1 » by knicksnyk » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:34 am

Maybe the Knicks should practice a little role play this offseason.
Former Knick Charles Oakley says Carmelo Anthony and Co. need to understand where they fit in on the team if they have any hopes of winning a championship this season.

“I think it’s all about how you view your team and everybody knowing what their roles are,” Oakley told The Post. “You look at Miami, the first year together, they made the finals, but the second year they won it. They had a better understanding of their roles together. I think that’s what the Knicks need to do and players need to understand if they’re the first option, second option or third option. When a team is paying you $100 million you shouldn’t be arguing over who is first.”

The Knicks have their own “Big Three” in Anthony, Amar’e Stoudemire and Tyson Chandler, but proved to be no match to the eventual NBA champion Heat in the playoffs.
KNICKS SCHEDULE
For much of the season Anthony, Stoudemire and Chandler struggled while on the floor together, with spacing issues causing Stoudemire to average 17.5 points per game after scoring 25.3 per game in his first season with the Knicks.
“It’s up to Coach [Mike Woodson] to decide how he wants to coach the offense,” Oakley said while promoting Moore Training resistance bands. “I think the problem with the Knicks is that their best two guys don’t make the people around them better. You see it with the Miami’s, the Oklahoma City’s, the Bulls, their top guys make others better. If that’s the case, I’m going to make sure that my top two guys have the ball at all times.”
The Knicks’ big three have all been honing their games this offseason, with Chandler and Anthony winning Olympic gold in London and Stoudemire working with Hall of Fame center Hakeem Olajuwon in Houston.
“[Stoudemire] is looking to fine tune his game, because if you want to be successful in this league you have to change up your game,” Oakley said. “Amar’e is just doing whatever it takes to make himself better and for that I tip my hat to him.”
Oakley also addressed the most-recent “who’s better” debate that has emerged after LeBron James helped lead Miami to the NBA title and Team USA to the gold medal. Following the Olympics, Syracuse head coach and U.S. assistant coach Jim Boeheim said James is the best player he has ever seen play, including Michael Jordan.
“I don’t know why they started this. Jordan had six rings, LeBron has one. Jordan has six Finals MVPs, LeBron has one,” Oakley said. “I think the better comparison is Kobe Bryant.
“They weren’t even talking about this a year ago. LeBron wasn’t in the picture last year, but now that he’s won a title and a gold medal he is? It’s just more hardware, it doesn’t change the field.”

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knicks/o ... z23nnoj5FN
Rasho Brezec
Knicks Forum Euro Scout
And1: 18,400

Re: Charles Oakley on the knicks 

Post#2 » by Rasho Brezec » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:45 am

Everything Oakley said is true. That won't prevent people from saying he's butthurt because Knicks won't hire him.
omerome
RealGM
And1: 7,818

Post#3 » by omerome » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:51 am

Rasho Brezec wrote:Everything Oakley said is true. That won't prevent people from saying he's butthurt because Knicks won't hire him.

Yeah. I have no issues with what Oakley has said.

The fact of the matter is, our players need to make the necessary sacrifices and also play together as one unit. If we do, we have the potential of having a great season. It is vital everyone fully understands what their roles are.

We can't depend on Melo to play the superman role and expect to win each night. This team needs order and hopefully with a training camp this season, we can iron out those details.
knicksnyk
Sixth Man

Post#4 » by knicksnyk » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:51 am

Rasho Brezec wrote:Everything Oakley said is true. That won't prevent people from saying he's butthurt because Knicks won't hire him.

i agree with his comments in regards to defined roles. that is huge. MDA never did that. woodson did when he took over. provides a better hierarchy.
knicksnyk
Sixth Man

Post#5 » by knicksnyk » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:53 am

look at tyson. he is a great example of making other people better. his defensive efforts just makes the entire team great. a lot of people get upset when they say melo needs to make others better particularly when comparing him to LBJ. he isn't a point forward but there is probably a niche that he can carve for himself in terms of making others better. amare too.
Hijinks
Analyst
And1: 1,327

Post#6 » by Hijinks » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:00 pm

I did roll my eyes when i saw the title, because of the things he said in the past. But i have to say he is pretty much spot on with his analysis.
too many urkels on your team, that's why your wins low
Knicks80_20
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#7 » by Knicks80_20 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:21 pm

I'm actually a little surprised that we didn't flip Amare for something this offseason. Melo and STAT have never looked good with both of them on the court together and I don't see it happening anytime soon.
Smoke24
RealGM
And1: 11

Post#8 » by Smoke24 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:27 pm

Oakley gets a +1 from me on this....
Leaguepass
Starter
And1: 134

Post#9 » by Leaguepass » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:44 pm

Spot on.

I was very excited once we got Melo because I really thought the two would be unstoppable on offense but a year later I'm sitting here and wishing we could trade one of the two because I've lost faith in them being able to work it out.

They have played like 80 games together and are barely .500 as a duo. I hope Amar'e has a solid season because after this one he'll only have 2 more years left, hence making him tradable.
I_Love_NYK
RealGM
And1: 122

Post#10 » by I_Love_NYK » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:47 pm

Everything Oakley said was the hard truth, Melo and Stoudemire have to learn how to play on the floor together and not individually. When they get double teamed they should be looking for one another, cause both players are still capable of drawing the double teams.

Last season was a very short training camp, if you even can call it that. This year there are no excuses, both players must learn how to play together. Melo and Amare' all of a sudden are not going to increase their assists totals, but there is more to just getting assists to make your team better. Little things like spacing the floor correctly and drawing the defense away. The PG situation is also much better with Felton and Kidd, then it was with Douglas and Shumpert.
cavs4life03
Starter
And1: 782

Post#11 » by cavs4life03 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:11 pm

i like oakley....but last year stat was going through a lot last year and then the injury bug hit the knicks and we didnt have that much depth i think this year the knicks are more focused and thats including stat and melo...imo if the knicks dont make it at least to the conf finals or challenge the heat to a game 7 its dissapointing season for me
young players + cap space + draft picks = bright future
knicksnyk
Sixth Man

Post#12 » by knicksnyk » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:17 pm

cavs4life03 wrote:i like oakley....but last year stat was going through a lot last year and then the injury bug hit the knicks and we didnt have that much depth i think this year the knicks are more focused and thats including stat and melo...imo if the knicks dont make it at least to the conf finals or challenge the heat to a game 7 its dissapointing season for me

and these are the standards that they have created for themselves. i have my reservations if they will even make it that far.
GettinitDone
Head Coach
And1: 3,097

Post#13 » by GettinitDone » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:26 pm

Truth. It's all about roles. One of the best organizations is the one which members know exactly what their roles are and don't do anything less or (much) more than what their roles ask of them. Giving clear/ definite roles to members make the team better and develop the members' progress and increase their confidence, e.g. when Dwight first came to L, the Magic only asked him to rebound and play defense, and anything more he gave were extra.

I'd tell Tyson to concentrate on rebounding, tap rebounding, and defense. Ask the two max cats to score and move the ball (not force issue when they're covered). Ask Camby to rebound and play D. Ask Kidd to move the ball, hit open men, and push pace whenever he can. Ask Brewer to play D and move the ball. Ask Felton to push tempo, focus on playing smart, not hard, pass, and take open shots.

Don't do anything less or much more than what your roles say. The problem often is players want to do a bit too much more than what they're asked of/ beyond their capabilities.
knicksnyk
Sixth Man

Post#14 » by knicksnyk » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:37 pm

GettinitDone wrote:Truth. It's all about roles. One of the best organizations is the one which members know exactly what their roles are and don't do anything less or (much) more than what their roles ask of them. Giving clear/ definite roles to members make the team better and develop the members' progress and increase their confidence, e.g. when Dwight first came to L, the Magic only asked him to rebound and play defense, and anything more he gave were extra.

I'd tell Tyson to concentrate on rebounding, tap rebounding, and defense. Ask the two max cats to score and move the ball (not force issue when they're covered). Ask Camby to rebound and play D. Ask Kidd to move the ball, hit open men, and push pace whenever he can. Ask Brewer to play D and move the ball. Ask Felton to push tempo, focus on playing smart, not hard, pass, and take open shots.

Don't do anything less or much more than what your roles say. The problem often is players want to do a bit too much more than what they're asked of/ beyond their capabilities.

yeah when we start loosing or the game is online players dont stick to there roles they do to much or they break from the system or they stop trusting one another and revert back to what has been succesful for them before hand. plus when somebody gets injured roles change and the team cannot build any consistency. injuries killed us last year. but the issue with now is that we lack consistent outside shooting so i am worried about that in the post season.
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#15 » by MaseInYourFace » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:51 pm

I think Charles sees Knicks have a good roster and a lot of talent but like many he has doubts about whether they can make it work. LOl it's progress, a couple of years ago all he spewed was straight up hate and rancor.
NYKat
RealGM
And1: 4,422

Post#16 » by NYKat » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:55 pm

I'm so tired of Oakley opening his stupid fat mouth all the time, I really don't care about the merits of his comments, you throw a mic in his face, you know he's going to take a shot at the Knicks at the end of the day...

his schtick is played out
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#17 » by Thugger HBC » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:57 pm

He didn't say anything wrong.

Sent from my Asus Transformer Prime TF - 201 using Xparent Sky Blue Tapatalk 2
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
knicksnyk
Sixth Man

Post#18 » by knicksnyk » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:22 pm

NYKat wrote:I'm so tired of Oakley opening his stupid fat mouth all the time, I really don't care about the merits of his comments, you throw a mic in his face, you know he's going to take a shot at the Knicks at the end of the day...

his schtick is played out

your overreacting what he said was fair critiscm. relax.
TKF
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 116

Post#19 » by TKF » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:46 pm

oakley was right on the money, especially with the last part MJ and here is one more thing MJ has that no other current star has or can ever say.. He never lost in the finals.. kobe has, lebron has, shaq has, but jordan never... 6-0 in the finals..... GOAT!!!
jjlang
Freshman
And1: 1

Post#20 » by jjlang » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:47 pm

It's not Melo's or Amare's job to make their teammates better. That's the job of the guards i.e., Kidd, Felton, Prig and Shump. Their job is to score the ball, rebound, play defense and look for the open man. They can give players advice based on their NBA experience which in-turn can make them better. Making players better around them is not the sole job of Melo & Amare moreso the PG.

Return to New York Knicks