ImageImageImageImageImage

Around The NBA - [Part 1]: Updated Games PG. 58

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

fdr2012
Banned User
And1: 70

Re: Around The NBA - [Part 1]: Updated Games PG. 58 

Post#2361 » by fdr2012 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:32 am

Woodsanity wrote:They are going to be a low seed in the East since the East is weak. They loss a lot of depth and no Rose but they are still an elite defensive team. A low seed in the East will often look like a lottery team when they go against an Elite Western Conference team at home so no surprise there. The Clippers are just a lot better than the Bulls plain and simple. I hate to say it but the West is just a lot more stacked. OKC, Spurs, Clippers, Lakers, Grizzlies would all be top 4 seeds in the East. They are all better than Boston in my opinion.

Lost again to the Blazers. They could easily find themselves out of the playoffs. Just a bad team, and their defense isn't that good anymore.
Leaguepass
Starter
And1: 134

Post#2362 » by Leaguepass » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:42 pm

JBreezeNY wrote:
Leaguepass wrote:BTW, prior to the start of the season I admit being worried about the Nets because they have a solid starting 5 but after watching them a couple times I can confidently say that I'd be surprised if a healthy Knick squad loses a single game in a playoff series against them. I don't think they're a threat AT ALL. Looks like your typical 45win-get trashed-in-the-first-round-of-the-playoffs-team.

Like us the past two seasons?

Yeah pretty much. Since joining the Nets I've watched Deron Williams in a bout 25 games I believe. Except maybe 2-3 games he's never looked the way he looked in Utah. He is still a top 5 PG but I rarely get the impression that he can really take over games in a major way like Chris Paul or Derrick Rose can. That Brooklyn team can be easily scored on. I also feel like we have a terrific chance against teams that rely on a big man for scoring....Tyson has yet to play Lopez but I think he'd severaly cut into Brook's production. In fact with Wallace,Camby and Tyson the Nets trio of Lopez/Humphries and Blatche will have huge trouble scoring the ball. On the other side they have absolutely no one to deny Stat and Melo. Wallace can maybe make life a little difficult for Melo but he is not the guy to really bother Melo too much. On top of that they have no one to stay with J.R.---I'm looking forward to the Brooklyn game but if we bring the same defensive intensity like yesterday I think we won't have any trouble beating them. Once Stat returns they don't stand much of a chance IMO. With Felton,Kidd,Prigs,Shumpert,Smith,Brewer we have a bunch of guys to throw at Williams/Johnson.
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 125,741

Post#2363 » by god shammgod » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:07 pm

brandon roy having surgery again. just sad.
ORANGEandBLUE
RealGM
And1: 1,334

Post#2364 » by ORANGEandBLUE » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:34 pm

Woodsanity wrote:
fdr2012 wrote:BTW - Bulls looked pretty pathetic yesterday against the Clips. They look like a lottery team.

They are going to be a low seed in the East since the East is weak. They loss a lot of depth and no Rose but they are still an elite defensive team. A low seed in the East will often look like a lottery team when they go against an Elite Western Conference team at home so no surprise there. The Clippers are just a lot better than the Bulls plain and simple. I hate to say it but the West is just a lot more stacked. OKC, Spurs, Clippers, Lakers, Grizzlies would all be top 4 seeds in the East. They are all better than Boston in my opinion.

Chicago worries me a little bit. Due to the ineptitude of the Sixers and Pacers, they won't have too difficult of a time sneaking into the playoffs. And once they are there, all bets are off. We don't match up great against them because they have great defensive forwards who can do a good job guarding Melo and Amare. Plus they can punish us on the boards. We would definitely need Shump to be near 100%, because our guards haven't looked great at stopping penetration. I know Chicago has lost a lot of bench depth, but they may be able to replace some of it at the trade deadline if they think Rose is healthy enough to make a playoff run. They have picks to offer, plus there will be buy-out guys that Chicago will be able to offer a full slate of minutes to. I would put them right up there with Boston as a team that would give us a good fight in the playoffs.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,375

Post#2365 » by j4remi » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:50 pm

god shammgod wrote:brandon roy having surgery again. just sad.

Imagine Brandon Roy healthy, playing with Lamarcus Aldridge in his current form and Nicolas Batum as the THIRD OPTION!? ...That'd be a phenomenal team.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 99,459

Post#2366 » by mpharris36 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:18 pm

i see my man TD is starting to take some minutes away from Mr. Lin.

Not that plus minus is always a telling statistic but -20 last night and he is -31 for the entire season is not a good look for him.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
fdr2012
Banned User

Post#2367 » by fdr2012 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:21 pm

ORANGEandBLUE wrote:Chicago worries me a little bit. Due to the ineptitude of the Sixers and Pacers, they won't have too difficult of a time sneaking into the playoffs. And once they are there, all bets are off. We don't match up great against them because they have great defensive forwards who can do a good job guarding Melo and Amare. Plus they can punish us on the boards. We would definitely need Shump to be near 100%, because our guards haven't looked great at stopping penetration. I know Chicago has lost a lot of bench depth, but they may be able to replace some of it at the trade deadline if they think Rose is healthy enough to make a playoff run. They have picks to offer, plus there will be buy-out guys that Chicago will be able to offer a full slate of minutes to. I would put them right up there with Boston as a team that would give us a good fight in the playoffs.

Boozer is a good defensive forward? And Melo torched Deng last season. We have Chandler to eliminate any problems that Noah may cause. They have no bench and there's no way they can keep up with our size and depth at all positions. We match up great with the Bulls. We'll eat them for lunch and spit them out.

Really, the only teams we have trouble matching up with are those with massive guys at the 4, like Memphis with Randolph, and maybe the Lakers with Gasol.
god shammgod
RealGM

Post#2368 » by god shammgod » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:24 pm

mpharris36 wrote:i see my man TD is starting to take some minutes away from Mr. Lin.

Not that plus minus is always a telling statistic but -20 last night and he is -31 for the entire season is not a good look for him.

being outplayed by toney. that's a damn shame.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#2369 » by j4remi » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:30 pm

god shammgod wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:i see my man TD is starting to take some minutes away from Mr. Lin.

He's not outplaying Lin though...He's shooting MISERABLE numbers...but I think, since Lin is shooting poorly as well and since the Rockets game plan is to let Harden be the main playmaker...TD's defensive prowess gives him an edge in some situations.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

ORANGEandBLUE
RealGM

Post#2370 » by ORANGEandBLUE » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:32 pm

fdr2012 wrote:[

Boozer is a good defensive forward? And Melo torched Deng last season. We have Chandler to eliminate any problems that Noah may cause. They have no bench and there's no way they can keep up with our size and depth at all positions. We match up great with the Bulls. We'll eat them for lunch and spit them out.

Really, the only teams we have trouble matching up with are those with massive guys at the 4, like Memphis with Randolph, and maybe the Lakers with Gasol.

I was referring to Deng, Gibson, and Noah. Noah can do a good job matching up with Stat. Gibson did a great job against Melo last year, and to a lesser extent, so did Deng. Yeah, Melo torched them, but mostly on contested j's and layups in transition. Yes Melo will get his points, but other than Lebron, those are two of the best guys in the league at guarding Melo.

As I said, the Bulls can rebuild their bench during the season.

Boozer is somewhat similar to Randolph... you don't want Melo guarding him. We'd have to go big against Chicago and it remains to be seen how that will affect us given that we've been going small so far this season.

Last year Chicago definitely gave us trouble. We had two must-win games against them down the stretch. We won one of them due to a HOF performance by Melo. In the other one they just pummeled us on the boards and Gibson was able to contain Melo.
fdr2012
Banned User

Post#2371 » by fdr2012 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:43 pm

ORANGEandBLUE wrote:I was referring to Deng, Gibson, and Noah. Noah can do a good job matching up with Stat. Gibson did a great job against Melo last year, and to a lesser extent, so did Deng. Yeah, Melo torched them, but mostly on contested j's and layups in transition. Yes Melo will get his points, but other than Lebron, those are two of the best guys in the league at guarding Melo.

As I said, the Bulls can rebuild their bench during the season.

Boozer is somewhat similar to Randolph... you don't want Melo guarding him. We'd have to go big against Chicago and it remains to be seen how that will affect us given that we've been going small so far this season.

Last year Chicago definitely gave us trouble. We had two must-win games against them down the stretch. We won one of them due to a HOF performance by Melo. In the other one they just pummeled us on the boards and Gibson was able to contain Melo.

Gibson looks like garbage this season, and there's no way Noah can stay with Amare - he's not quick enough.

Boozer is nothing like Randolph. Zach is way stronger, a much better offensive rebounder and a more versatile player. Melo can guard Boozer no problem.

How are the Bulls rebuilding their bench with no money to spend?

Last year Chicago gave us trouble because we were thin without Amare, and very little off the bench. They had Brewer, Korver, Gibson and Asik off the bench which killed us. After losing Asik, they no longer have the advantage on the boards. The current Bulls team will get blownout by us.
ORANGEandBLUE
RealGM

Post#2372 » by ORANGEandBLUE » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:51 pm

fdr2012 wrote:Gibson looks like garbage this season, and there's no way Noah can stay with Amare - he's not quick enough.

Boozer is nothing like Randolph. Zach is way stronger, a much better offensive rebounder and a more versatile player. Melo can guard Boozer no problem.

How are the Bulls rebuilding their bench with no money to spend?

Last year Chicago gave us trouble because we were thin without Amare, and very little off the bench. They had Brewer, Korver, Gibson and Asik off the bench which killed us. After losing Asik, they no longer have the advantage on the boards. The current Bulls team will get blownout by us.

Usually guys that get bought out midseason will sign for the vet. min. Plus they have tradable contracts that they can package with picks... I believe they have all of their own picks plus a future 1st from Charlotte. The Spurs were able to get Jax and Diaw for basically nothing last trade deadline, and the Bulls can do something similar.

To say they don't have the rebounding advantage is just absurd... we are like 29th in the league in rebounding. Sure, Camby and Sheed will help us there, but not as much if we have to give most of the minutes at the 4 to Stat.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#2373 » by mpharris36 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:55 pm

j4remi wrote:
god shammgod wrote:

He's not outplaying Lin though...He's shooting MISERABLE numbers...but I think, since Lin is shooting poorly as well and since the Rockets game plan is to let Harden be the main playmaker...TD's defensive prowess gives him an edge in some situations.

yeah I would agree I wouldn't say TD is outplaying lin. But like you said remi with Harden doing most of the ball handling especially late in the game. TD is clearly the better defensive player and is more of a spot up shooter (both guys are shooting miserably to start the year though).

But if you look at it from a money perspective which you have to the fact TD is tacking a lot of late minutes away from a guy they just gave a big deal to is kinda dissappointing imo.

ROSTER

j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#2374 » by j4remi » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:05 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
yeah I would agree I wouldn't say TD is outplaying lin. But like you said remi with Harden doing most of the ball handling especially late in the game. TD is clearly the better defensive player and is more of a spot up shooter (both guys are shooting miserably to start the year though).

But if you look at it from a money perspective which you have to the fact TD is tacking a lot of late minutes away from a guy they just gave a big deal to is kinda dissappointing imo.

Definitely agree...Be it TD or anyone else taking the minutes from Lin...in late game situations, seeing Lin subbed out despite being paid to be the future of that franchise (along with Harden) is just disappointing...although I've said all along, I HATE the way he has been handled by the Rockets. They've put him in a position to fail by going away from a lot of his strengths and I think we're seeing a mental toll that he might not bounce back from. He's still showing clever passing, good rebounding and a knack for steals...the scoring has vanished, but he has so many tools that I'm counting on a bounce back...but I'm already thinking a change of scenery would be nice. Especially when he's been pushed to a "stand back and watch" role even if he tries to demand the ball...he's looked off.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#2375 » by mpharris36 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:14 pm

j4remi wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:

Definitely agree...Be it TD or anyone else taking the minutes from Lin...in late game situations, seeing Lin subbed out despite being paid to be the future of that franchise (along with Harden) is just disappointing...although I've said all along, I HATE the way he has been handled by the Rockets. They've put him in a position to fail by going away from a lot of his strengths and I think we're seeing a mental toll that he might not bounce back from. He's still showing clever passing, good rebounding and a knack for steals...the scoring has vanished, but he has so many tools that I'm counting on a bounce back...but I'm already thinking a change of scenery would be nice. Especially when he's been pushed to a "stand back and watch" role even if he tries to demand the ball...he's looked off.

We are on the same wave length. Morey made the right move talent wise. But it showed he really didn't have a great plan. If you are going to use your assets to bring in a big time player would you want to bring in a player that compliments your big FA signing. We all know Lin needs to have the ball to be effective. He is a solid rebounder, he plays the passing lanes pretty well (decent help defender), and he has a knack to get into the paint and either score or find the open mind.

Where he struggles is he turns the ball over too much (which usually gets better with understanding defenders). He is just an ok shooter, and is just an average on ball defender.

Bringing in Harden might have been the right move talent wise but it was a extremely dumb move in terms of Lin's developement. If you are just going to let him chill off the ball he then becomes a floor spacer and defender and there is where guys like TD are better suited for.

Personally I would have given Lin the first full year to see what you had. Then you can make the decision after a full season if he is the type of player you can build your offense around. If you proved he could do that then you trade your assets for either a good wing scorer or PF that is a big time finisher.

I think they jumped at the chance to land a huge splash in Harden but that will sit them in mediocracy for the next 3 years. Because you wont be getting anymore from Lin as you will be now.

ROSTER

KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 37,709

Post#2376 » by KnicksGod » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:58 pm

Harden is a nice talent and a very good player but he's dominating the ball and it's not really working. He is a very good passer but he's forcing shots. Comes down, chucks up 3's. Thinks he's better than he really is. Thinks he can win games on his own which is the definition of low basketball IQ, even though Harden has good court vision and knows how to play a role to help his team win ... at least he used to.

He thinks he's a first option who has been playing on a team with two other options, so now he's trying to take over. But in truth, he's more like a 2nd/3rd option type.

And Lin is irrelevant with the way Harden is playing.
fdr2012
Banned User

Post#2377 » by fdr2012 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:59 pm

ORANGEandBLUE wrote:Usually guys that get bought out midseason will sign for the vet. min. Plus they have tradable contracts that they can package with picks... I believe they have all of their own picks plus a future 1st from Charlotte. The Spurs were able to get Jax and Diaw for basically nothing last trade deadline, and the Bulls can do something similar.

To say they don't have the rebounding advantage is just absurd... we are like 29th in the league in rebounding. Sure, Camby and Sheed will help us there, but not as much if we have to give most of the minutes at the 4 to Stat.

Nobody who gets bought out is going to sign with the Bulls for the minimum since the Bulls are not contenders. The only contracts that have value for the Bulls are Rose and Noah - everybody else is either overpaid or trash.

Spurs got Diaw after he got bought out because they were contenders. They got Stephen Jackson (a bad contract) for another bad contract (Jefferson). Bulls don't have that expiring bad contract to trade and they can't take on more salary.

Bulls are 12 in rebounding. Knicks are 23rd. Not a huge difference.
Knicks_Fan2
RealGM
And1: 4,648

Post#2378 » by Knicks_Fan2 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:18 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
j4remi wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:

We are on the same wave length. Morey made the right move talent wise. But it showed he really didn't have a great plan. If you are going to use your assets to bring in a big time player would you want to bring in a player that compliments your big FA signing. We all know Lin needs to have the ball to be effective. He is a solid rebounder, he plays the passing lanes pretty well (decent help defender), and he has a knack to get into the paint and either score or find the open mind.

Where he struggles is he turns the ball over too much (which usually gets better with understanding defenders). He is just an ok shooter, and is just an average on ball defender.

Bringing in Harden might have been the right move talent wise but it was a extremely dumb move in terms of Lin's developement. If you are just going to let him chill off the ball he then becomes a floor spacer and defender and there is where guys like TD are better suited for.

Personally I would have given Lin the first full year to see what you had. Then you can make the decision after a full season if he is the type of player you can build your offense around. If you proved he could do that then you trade your assets for either a good wing scorer or PF that is a big time finisher.

I think they jumped at the chance to land a huge splash in Harden but that will sit them in mediocracy for the next 3 years. Because you wont be getting anymore from Lin as you will be now.
++Remember that one of the assets they had was Kevin Martin's expiring which they, obviously, would not have next year. In Morey's case, I think he has been searching so long for a cornerstone that he neede to make the move. They now have a cornerstone that may be able to attract another big time free agent this offseason. I agree this isn't the best situation for Lin but, given the way the coaching staff has handled him so far, I don't think he's clearly on the long term plan and he only has two years on his deal after this season.
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 28,307

Post#2379 » by Fat Kat » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:51 pm

Shawne Williams has signed in China with Foshan.
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
god shammgod
RealGM

Post#2380 » by god shammgod » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:55 pm

Fat Kat wrote:
Shawne Williams has signed in China with Foshan.

he might have been smart to take that money after all.

Return to New York Knicks