ImageImageImageImageImage

The 2012-13 NCAA Knicks fan March Madness Bracket group

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

SkyMason21
Junior
And1: 79

Re: The 2012-13 NCAA B-Ball thread 

Post#141 » by SkyMason21 » Sat Feb 2, 2013 5:26 pm

SonOfMars wrote:Michael Carter-Williams or Trey Burke?

MCW has more potential, but Burke is the better PG imo.
SkyMason21
Junior

Post#142 » by SkyMason21 » Sat Feb 2, 2013 7:11 pm

Looking at MCW stat line today, you'd normally say he had a bad shooting night but he is right at his averages. Sub 40 FG% and 25% from 3. It seems like every game I've watched him play he air balls at least one 3. It really doesn't help that he tries to play like he is actually a scorer in late game situations.
Flaming Mo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 225

Post#143 » by Flaming Mo » Sat Feb 2, 2013 9:42 pm

In college, clearly Trey Burke. In terms of pro potential I'm undecided. I'm not sure if I like MWC as a point guard in the pros. He is very very young but has quite a bunch of holes in his game (scoring efficiency, handling by NBA standards, physical strength). But you gotta admire the way he took leadership of that Syracuse team. Same goes for Burke obviously but he already did so in his freshman year. Burke in the NBA of course has his physical limitations and I'm not sure if he is natural a point guard enough to succeed at his size, something Chris Paul obviously managed for example.
Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies...
SkyMason21
Junior

Post#144 » by SkyMason21 » Sat Feb 2, 2013 10:11 pm

Flaming Mo wrote:In college, clearly Trey Burke. In terms of pro potential I'm undecided. I'm not sure if I like MWC as a point guard in the pros. He is very very young but has quite a bunch of holes in his game (scoring efficiency, handling by NBA standards, physical strength). But you gotta admire the way he took leadership of that Syracuse team. Same goes for Burke obviously but he already did so in his freshman year. Burke in the NBA of course has his physical limitations and I'm not sure if he is natural a point guard enough to succeed at his size, something Chris Paul obviously managed for example.

Burke's position is gonna be dependent on how he measures out. DX says he has a good wingspan at 6'5, so i'm hoping he comes close to 6'0 tall. Of the top 3 pgs Marcus Smart is my favorite over both, but who goes first is up in the air (if Smart even leaves).
Flaming Mo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#145 » by Flaming Mo » Sat Feb 2, 2013 11:57 pm

SkyMason21 wrote:Burke's position is gonna be dependent on how he measures out. DX says he has a good wingspan at 6'5, so i'm hoping he comes close to 6'0 tall. Of the top 3 pgs Marcus Smart is my favorite over both, but who goes first is up in the air (if Smart even leaves).

My favorite point guard prospect as mentioned earlier is Lorenzo Brown. Now I don't think he is 6-5 as some sites have him but he is every bit close to 6-4 and brings with him everything you look for in a pro point guard. Great athlete aswell.

Smart looks very good but I haven't seen that much of him. One guy I really like for the future is Ryan Arcidiacono from Villanova, already great at keeping his dribble alive and getting into the paint.
SkyMason21
Junior

Post#146 » by SkyMason21 » Sun Feb 3, 2013 12:22 am

Flaming Mo wrote:My favorite point guard prospect as mentioned earlier is Lorenzo Brown. Now I don't think he is 6-5 as some sites have him but he is every bit close to 6-4 and brings with him everything you look for in a pro point guard. Great athlete aswell.

Smart looks very good but I haven't seen that much of him. One guy I really like for the future is Ryan Arcidiacono from Villanova, already great at keeping his dribble alive and getting into the paint.

As soon as I mention Smart as my favorite he does all the things I love about his game against Kansas. Great rebounder for a PG, and dominated on the glass (8 offensive rebounds). His shot wasn't falling so he got damn near all his points by fighting for position to get weak side rebounds and scoring on the put back. Got all his other FGs from creating turnovers I think. Needs to improve his range so he can make some of the open looks he gets from 3, tho. I'm just really interested to see how his offense game develops because I think he could be really good as a post up pg.

Personally hated Brown for awhile, seemed like every game I saw him in he was unimpressive but I'm gonna try to catch him on some good nights be for I judge completely. Still hate C.J Leslie, I doubt I'll ever really favor picking him :lol:
Flaming Mo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#147 » by Flaming Mo » Sun Feb 3, 2013 1:52 am

SkyMason21 wrote:As soon as I mention Smart as my favorite he does all the things I love about his game against Kansas. Great rebounder for a PG, and dominated on the glass (8 offensive rebounds). His shot wasn't falling so he got damn near all his points by fighting for position to get weak side rebounds and scoring on the put back. Got all his other FGs from creating turnovers I think. Needs to improve his range so he can make some of the open looks he gets from 3, tho. I'm just really interested to see how his offense game develops because I think he could be really good as a post up pg.

Personally hated Brown for awhile, seemed like every game I saw him in he was unimpressive but I'm gonna try to catch him on some good nights be for I judge completely. Still hate C.J Leslie, I doubt I'll ever really favor picking him :lol:

Absolutely agree with you on Leslie, he is the prototype for a player who has no position in the pros. Like to watch him in college though.

If you have a chance try to watch Brown's game vs UNC (I think that was the one)... he was spectacular making some passes who would make NBA all star PGs jealous. I think his game just transfers greatly to the pros. I see your point though that in recent years and at times Brown leaves you frustrated with what he gets out of his obvious talent.

BTW lots of fun discussiong the college game and prospects with you! :)
mrpoetryNmotion
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,118

Post#148 » by mrpoetryNmotion » Sun Feb 3, 2013 5:04 am

Geez, that Indiana, Michigan was a treat.

I'm guessing Indiana claims the top spot in the next rankings with the Kansas upset.
SkyMason21
Junior

Post#149 » by SkyMason21 » Sun Feb 3, 2013 6:16 am

Flaming Mo wrote:Absolutely agree with you on Leslie, he is the prototype for a player who has no position in the pros. Like to watch him in college though.

If you have a chance try to watch Brown's game vs UNC (I think that was the one)... he was spectacular making some passes who would make NBA all star PGs jealous. I think his game just transfers greatly to the pros. I see your point though that in recent years and at times Brown leaves you frustrated with what he gets out of his obvious talent.

BTW lots of fun discussing the college game and prospects with you! :)

Ah I saw that UNC game as well, but I had trouble getting wowed because of his previous games :lol: .Did love his passing in that game, got some beautiful passes in transition from what i remember.

Definitely been fun talking college ball :)
yaboynyp
Assistant Coach
And1: 206

Post#150 » by yaboynyp » Mon Feb 4, 2013 5:32 pm

SkyMason21 wrote:Bad day for me. Siva chokes in the Cuse/Ville game, and Stockton chokes in the Zags/Butler game. If we ever ever draft Kelly Olynyk I never want to see him in a game late because his Defense pisses me off :nonono:

We would never draft Olynyk despite the fact he has NYK in his name
yaboynyp
Assistant Coach

Post#151 » by yaboynyp » Mon Feb 4, 2013 5:36 pm

Flaming Mo wrote:
SkyMason21 wrote:Burke's position is gonna be dependent on how he measures out. DX says he has a good wingspan at 6'5, so i'm hoping he comes close to 6'0 tall. Of the top 3 pgs Marcus Smart is my favorite over both, but who goes first is up in the air (if Smart even leaves).

My favorite point guard prospect as mentioned earlier is Lorenzo Brown. Now I don't think he is 6-5 as some sites have him but he is every bit close to 6-4 and brings with him everything you look for in a pro point guard. Great athlete aswell.

Brown over MCW? Side note but how is Brown going to be 23 this year and he’s a junior? lol
SkyMason21
Junior

Post#152 » by SkyMason21 » Mon Feb 4, 2013 5:57 pm

yaboynyp wrote:Brown over MCW? Side note but how is Brown going to be 23 this year and he’s a junior? lol

MCW is 21 going on 22 this year as a sophomore. So not everyone is a young as you'd like :lol:
Flaming Mo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#153 » by Flaming Mo » Mon Feb 4, 2013 6:26 pm

yaboynyp wrote:Brown over MCW? Side note but how is Brown going to be 23 this year and he’s a junior? lol

He's a redshirt junior.
Jmonty580
General Manager
And1: 400

Post#154 » by Jmonty580 » Mon Feb 4, 2013 8:46 pm

I know its early but who do you guys think would be a good fit for us late in the draft? Think we need a pg or a big man? I cant help but get excited for the draft every year. So many talented players at all points in the draft, we could get a gem that could really improve an already good team.
Flaming Mo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#155 » by Flaming Mo » Mon Feb 4, 2013 9:20 pm

Jmonty580 wrote:I know its early but who do you guys think would be a good fit for us late in the draft? Think we need a pg or a big man? I cant help but get excited for the draft every year. So many talented players at all points in the draft, we could get a gem that could really improve an already good team.

Consider that the Knicks will most likely select late in the first round which sort of limits the ability to really find a star player. They should definitely be able to find good rotation players who can help immediately and take a spot from some of the aging veterans who most likely wont be back next year anyways (Camby, Sheed, Kidd, KT). As I said earlier in this thread Lorenzo Brown would be a great point guard for the Knicks with his size and ability to run a team but unfortunately I dont think he will be available when we pick. Here are some other options which I could see helping the Knicks next year and beyond:

Brandon Paul (SG, Illinois)
Richard Howell (PF, NC State)
Jordan Henriquez (C, Kansas State)
Will Clyburn (SF, Iowa State)
Phil Pressey (PG, Missouri)
Greg Whittington (SF, Georgetown)
Patric Young (PF/C, Florida)
Gorgui Dieng (C, Louisville)

Now you'll never know who declares or what will happen between now and March. I didn't include surefire lottery picks like Otto Porter, Anthony Bennett or Nerlens Noel as they will most likely be out of the Knicks reach.
SkyMason21
Junior

Post#156 » by SkyMason21 » Mon Feb 4, 2013 9:44 pm

Flaming Mo wrote:Consider that the Knicks will most likely select late in the first round which sort of limits the ability to really find a star player. They should definitely be able to find good rotation players who can help immediately and take a spot from some of the aging veterans who most likely wont be back next year anyways (Camby, Sheed, Kidd, KT). As I said earlier in this thread Lorenzo Brown would be a great point guard for the Knicks with his size and ability to run a team but unfortunately I dont think he will be available when we pick. Here are some other options which I could see helping the Knicks next year and beyond:

Brandon Paul (SG, Illinois)
Jordan Henriquez (C, Kansas State)
Will Clyburn (SF, Iowa State)
Phil Pressey (PG, Missouri)
Greg Whittington (SF, Georgetown)

Now you'll never know who declares or what will happen between now and March. I didn't include surefire lottery picks like Otto Porter, Anthony Bennett or Nerlens Noel as they will most likely be out of the Knicks reach.

I'll disagree a little, and say we got a pretty good shot at Brown talented as hell but his age and consistency can keep him late. If he pulls it together you got a steal but a lot of teams may see him as a gamble atm.
My list is a long but somewhat the same, some guys you listed I'm just not familiar with :lol: . I'm leaving of Brandon Paul (to inconsistent and that could land him undrafted), Phil Pressey ( Still really like him but his size worries me) and Greg Whittington ( Just doubt he'll even consider leaving this year but do like him)

Russ Smith ( PG, Louisville)
Andre Roberson (SF/PF, Colorado)
Reggie Bullock (SG/SF, North Carolina)

I'll probably list so potential undrafted guys later.
Johnny Hoops
RealGM
And1: 2,212

Post#157 » by Johnny Hoops » Mon Feb 4, 2013 10:23 pm

Roberson from CU is intriguing.

I live in Denver area and watch CU some --- kid is an outstanding athlete.

He is thin, maybe 6'8" but a great rebounder. He was 3rd in nation last year and right now I think he's #2.

His offensive game is very limited and he needs development on that side.

Would love to see him focus on playing defense and keep up his rebounding --- would be a nice defensive SF option off the bench.
yaboynyp
Assistant Coach

Post#158 » by yaboynyp » Mon Feb 4, 2013 10:46 pm

Flaming Mo wrote:

He's a redshirt junior.

Thats still pretty old for his class did he prep a year 2?
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God
And1: 14,400

Post#159 » by ibraheim718 » Mon Feb 4, 2013 10:48 pm

Johnny Hoops wrote:Roberson from CU is intriguing.

I live in Denver area and watch CU some --- kid is an outstanding athlete.

He is thin, maybe 6'8" but a great rebounder. He was 3rd in nation last year and right now I think he's #2.

His offensive game is very limited and he needs development on that side.

Would love to see him focus on playing defense and keep up his rebounding --- would be a nice defensive SF option off the bench.

You going to the Nuggets game when the Knicks are in town? I lived there too but my Brother will be there in Knicks regalia.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,075

Post#160 » by moocow007 » Mon Feb 4, 2013 11:02 pm

Jmonty580 wrote:I know its early but who do you guys think would be a good fit for us late in the draft? Think we need a pg or a big man? I cant help but get excited for the draft every year. So many talented players at all points in the draft, we could get a gem that could really improve an already good team.

The Knicks can actually go any number of directions. Maybe at the end of the day they just stick to BPA. While it may seem that a PG would be the best choice, I'm really not sure that there are PG's that are going to be available in the 22-27 range that actually would project to be a starter down the road. Backup PG's I usually see as someone you can sign.

LOL...yeah every year I think a lot of folks get real excited early about the draft.

Not sure what the Knicks plans are but if they want to take a risk they could use their pick to lock up someone that has really been getting a lot of buzz recently out of China...player by the name of Wang Zhelin. 7'1" and 250+ lbs 19 year old. Last time folks have been up in arms about a player from China was Yao Ming. Zhelin won't be allowed to come to the US for a couple seasons but I believe he can still be drafted. Have seen some of him play including against the US team in the Nike Hoop Summit and he was damn impressive. Very mobile player with gigantic Yao like thickness in his legs, strong, good passing, nice post game, rebounds, challenges shots, dunks, etc and based on reports doesn't shy away from pounding down low in the paint. Yep big gamble considering the flops out of China since Yao.

Outside that either Gorgui Dieng of Louisville or Steven Adams of Pitt would be good gets. I also like Trevor MBakwe and Patric Young as physical, athletic bigs off the bench to provide some energy and toughness.

I'm really not that infatuated with any of the PG's that project to be around when the Knicks pick so really can't get too too excited. There are plenty of bigs and a handful of athletic wings that may be worth a look...LeBryan Nash or CJ Leslie. Both guys lack real refinement in their games to match their athleticism/physical tools but it would be good to have some long athletic wings that can handle the SF position full time. Both Leslie and Nash have NBA bodies already and can excel off the bench in the Knicks more uptempo 2nd unit and Leslie has serious defensive potential that I would like to see what Woodson can get out of him. Could be a steal.

Return to New York Knicks