ImageImageImageImageImage

The 2012-13 NCAA Knicks fan March Madness Bracket group

Moderators: moocow007, magnumt, Knickstape1214, Brooklyn_Yards, Thorn, j4remi, GONYK, Thugger HBC, mrpoetryNmotion, NoLayupRule

User avatar
Flaming Mo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 23,198
And1: 45
Joined: Jan 30, 2002
Location: Germany
     

Re: The 2012-13 NCAA B-Ball thread 

Post#121 » by Flaming Mo » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:40 pm

Nice, the crowd at NC State is so loud that you can't hear that hack Dick Vitale... :lol:
Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies...
User avatar
DrKnick
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,526
And1: 300
Joined: Aug 15, 2011
   

Re: The 2012-13 NCAA B-Ball thread 

Post#122 » by DrKnick » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:07 pm

Been a FSU sympathizer, been a long time since I've followed college basketball.
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ /人◕ ‿ ◕人\ ( ︶︿︶)_╭∩╮
User avatar
SonOfMars
RealGM
Posts: 13,826
And1: 2,723
Joined: Mar 02, 2011
 

Re: The 2012-13 NCAA B-Ball thread 

Post#123 » by SonOfMars » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:12 pm

Syracuse tops Louisville, great game..
Image
Props Turbo_Zone
User avatar
Flaming Mo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 23,198
And1: 45
Joined: Jan 30, 2002
Location: Germany
     

Re: The 2012-13 NCAA B-Ball thread 

Post#124 » by Flaming Mo » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:24 am

Deshaun Thomas is a monster... but SPARTY comes away with the WIN!!! YES!!!
Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies...
User avatar
mrpoetryNmotion
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 7,199
And1: 641
Joined: Jun 28, 2009
Location: Purgatory
     

Re: The 2012-13 NCAA B-Ball thread 

Post#125 » by mrpoetryNmotion » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:14 am

WOW...that Butler steal and gamewinner!
User avatar
SkyMason21
Sophomore
Posts: 203
And1: 20
Joined: Aug 01, 2012

Re: The 2012-13 NCAA B-Ball thread 

Post#126 » by SkyMason21 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:23 am

Bad day for me. Siva chokes in the Cuse/Ville game, and Stockton chokes in the Zags/Butler game. If we ever ever draft Kelly Olynyk I never want to see him in a game late because his Defense pisses me off :nonono:
Image
User avatar
Flaming Mo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 23,198
And1: 45
Joined: Jan 30, 2002
Location: Germany
     

Re: The 2012-13 NCAA B-Ball thread 

Post#127 » by Flaming Mo » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:00 pm

SkyMason21 wrote:Bad day for me. Siva chokes in the Cuse/Ville game, and Stockton chokes in the Zags/Butler game. If we ever ever draft Kelly Olynyk I never want to see him in a game late because his Defense pisses me off :nonono:


He looked horrible yesterday, 7 footer who plays like someone 6-5. He got pushed around quite a bit by the smaller Butler defenders. His fluid movement and overall game are still intriguing but he has to continue to get stronger. Harris though played as well as I've ever seen him play. Unfortunately it seems he will not have a position in pros.

Gonzaga is a very impressive team, came away much more impressed by them than Butler. Zags threw that game away...
Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies...
User avatar
SkyMason21
Sophomore
Posts: 203
And1: 20
Joined: Aug 01, 2012

Re: The 2012-13 NCAA B-Ball thread 

Post#128 » by SkyMason21 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:35 pm

Flaming Mo wrote:
SkyMason21 wrote:Bad day for me. Siva chokes in the Cuse/Ville game, and Stockton chokes in the Zags/Butler game. If we ever ever draft Kelly Olynyk I never want to see him in a game late because his Defense pisses me off :nonono:


He looked horrible yesterday, 7 footer who plays like someone 6-5. He got pushed around quite a bit by the smaller Butler defenders. His fluid movement and overall game are still intriguing but he has to continue to get stronger. Harris though played as well as I've ever seen him play. Unfortunately it seems he will not have a position in pros.

Gonzaga is a very impressive team, came away much more impressed by them than Butler. Zags threw that game away...


Yeah he needs more strength, but I've now seen the good and the bad from him (first time I saw him was his 31 versus Saint Mary's). That late play with a 6-5 guy on him and he got his shot blocked straight up wasn't to nice to see since he had 7 inches on him. I like his offensive game but he really needs to improve defensively and on the glass. Atm he gives me a poor man's Brook Lopez kinda vibe.
Image
User avatar
Flaming Mo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 23,198
And1: 45
Joined: Jan 30, 2002
Location: Germany
     

Re: The 2012-13 NCAA B-Ball thread 

Post#129 » by Flaming Mo » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:17 am

I just LOVE Lorenzo Brown as a pro prospect... size, scoring ability, keeps his dribble alive, is the unquestioned leader of his team...

It is incredible how a program like UNC adds to Roy Williams' incompetence by making a moron like Hubert Davis an assistant coach... just ridiculous...

BTW Richard Howell is so much fun to watch when he's on!
Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies...
User avatar
Johnny Hoops
General Manager
Posts: 9,418
And1: 1,192
Joined: Nov 28, 2005

Re: The 2012-13 NCAA B-Ball thread 

Post#130 » by Johnny Hoops » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:04 pm

Had a chance to watch Indiana/Michigan on Sunday and Louiville/Pitt last night.

Really liked Victor Oladipo (6'5" guard) from Indiana and Gorgui Dieng (6'10") pf/c from Louisville.

Loved both guys -- both brought great energy, played really hard defense and both showed some very nice passing skills.

Oladipo looks limited offensively but is a tazmanian devil on defense --- plus shows good handles, good court vision and explosive athleticism.

Dieng reminds me of Serge Ibaka a little bit -- he's still skinny but flashes some tremendous athleticism & growing offensive skill set.

Both would be intriguing late 1st round options -- I think.
User avatar
Flaming Mo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 23,198
And1: 45
Joined: Jan 30, 2002
Location: Germany
     

Re: The 2012-13 NCAA B-Ball thread 

Post#131 » by Flaming Mo » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:28 pm

Johnny Hoops wrote:Had a chance to watch Indiana/Michigan on Sunday and Louiville/Pitt last night.

Really liked Victor Oladipo (6'5" guard) from Indiana and Gorgui Dieng (6'10") pf/c from Louisville.

Loved both guys -- both brought great energy, played really hard defense and both showed some very nice passing skills.

Oladipo looks limited offensively but is a tazmanian devil on defense --- plus shows good handles, good court vision and explosive athleticism.

Dieng reminds me of Serge Ibaka a little bit -- he's still skinny but flashes some tremendous athleticism & growing offensive skill set.

Both would be intriguing late 1st round options -- I think.


Oladipo is all hustle and not many skills. He barrels into the paint with full speed and really only knows that speed. That will not fly in the NBA and I think he is 6-4 at most. His defense will not be enough of a factor to make him a viable NBA as he is just too limited physically and defensively. He is solid in college on offense but right now he only has a right hand, is way too limited in the halfcourt and not tall enough. Great college player, I agree and for many people fun to watch but he is not a real NBA prospect to me.

Gorgui Dieng on the other side has grown on me ever since last season. Obviously you will like his size and strength but he also is very athletic as you mentioned. The biggest positive for me with Dieng as a prospect is that he has developed at a rapid rate and every month you can see a growth in his game. He has a decent jumper from midrange and likes to work with his back to the basket, a lost art in today's game. If he adds a few pounds and stays healthy he could really turn into a nice player.

The problem with guys like these two is to compare their situation in college to their role in the pros. Oladipo is more like a SF and Dieng clearly is the center for UofL. Both also play like that. Now at their current size, in college and at their respective positions they are perfectly fine and even at an advantage to play their position. But in the NBA Dieng will see SF who are 6-10 and Oladipo will be smaller than a few points guards. Now can they elevate their games to still be effective without their size and athletic advantage? I think Dieng can do it but I have serious doubts about Oladipo.
Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies...
User avatar
SkyMason21
Sophomore
Posts: 203
And1: 20
Joined: Aug 01, 2012

Re: The 2012-13 NCAA B-Ball thread 

Post#132 » by SkyMason21 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:22 pm

Flaming Mo wrote:
Johnny Hoops wrote:Had a chance to watch Indiana/Michigan on Sunday and Louiville/Pitt last night.

Really liked Victor Oladipo (6'5" guard) from Indiana and Gorgui Dieng (6'10") pf/c from Louisville.

Loved both guys -- both brought great energy, played really hard defense and both showed some very nice passing skills.

Oladipo looks limited offensively but is a tazmanian devil on defense --- plus shows good handles, good court vision and explosive athleticism.

Dieng reminds me of Serge Ibaka a little bit -- he's still skinny but flashes some tremendous athleticism & growing offensive skill set.

Both would be intriguing late 1st round options -- I think.


Oladipo is all hustle and not many skills. He barrels into the paint with full speed and really only knows that speed. That will not fly in the NBA and I think he is 6-4 at most. His defense will not be enough of a factor to make him a viable NBA as he is just too limited physically and defensively. He is solid in college on offense but right now he only has a right hand, is way too limited in the halfcourt and not tall enough. Great college player, I agree and for many people fun to watch but he is not a real NBA prospect to me.

Gorgui Dieng on the other side has grown on me ever since last season. Obviously you will like his size and strength but he also is very athletic as you mentioned. The biggest positive for me with Dieng as a prospect is that he has developed at a rapid rate and every month you can see a growth in his game. He has a decent jumper from midrange and likes to work with his back to the basket, a lost art in today's game. If he adds a few pounds and stays healthy he could really turn into a nice player.

The problem with guys like these two is to compare their situation in college to their role in the pros. Oladipo is more like a SF and Dieng clearly is the center for UofL. Both also play like that. Now at their current size, in college and at their respective positions they are perfectly fine and even at an advantage to play their position. But in the NBA Dieng will see SF who are 6-10 and Oladipo will be smaller than a few points guards. Now can they elevate their games to still be effective without their size and athletic advantage? I think Dieng can do it but I have serious doubts about Oladipo.


I think Dieng will do well, since he'll still have some significant advantages like his length. I've seen his wingspan rumored to be from 7-4 to 7-6 so he'll have that and he is pretty quick on his feet. Power players will probably give him trouble until he puts some more weight on or learns to defend them better. His rebounding will also probably take some work because at this point he just uses his size and tries to out jump guys to get rebounds , and doesn't consistently put a body on other players.

This is the first time I've seen someone who doesn't really like Oladipo as an NBA player :lol: , but I do agree with the flaws you mentioned. Though I do think he does a good job of cutting to the basket and attacking to offensive glass for points. Could you elaborate on some of his physical limitations defensively? His height is definitely a question mark but I thought he has decent enough length to make up for it.
Image
User avatar
Flaming Mo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 23,198
And1: 45
Joined: Jan 30, 2002
Location: Germany
     

Re: The 2012-13 NCAA B-Ball thread 

Post#133 » by Flaming Mo » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:06 pm

SkyMason21 wrote:I think Dieng will do well, since he'll still have some significant advantages like his length. I've seen his wingspan rumored to be from 7-4 to 7-6 so he'll have that and he is pretty quick on his feet. Power players will probably give him trouble until he puts some more weight on or learns to defend them better. His rebounding will also probably take some work because at this point he just uses his size and tries to out jump guys to get rebounds , and doesn't consistently put a body on other players.

This is the first time I've seen someone who doesn't really like Oladipo as an NBA player :lol: , but I do agree with the flaws you mentioned. Though I do think he does a good job of cutting to the basket and attacking to offensive glass for points. Could you elaborate on some of his physical limitations defensively? His height is definitely a question mark but I thought he has decent enough length to make up for it.


I also think Dieng will be fine. He is a hard worker and considering how little basketball experience he has he already has turned himself into one hell of a player. His defense alone will get him a spot in the NBA but I feel that he will not be limited once he fully develops offensively.

I think Oladipo is a do it all SF in a SG body. I know that the difference is often hard to judge but his offensive limitations are just too big to really be an effective NBA guard. I think he would greatly benefit from another year at Indiana to hone his offensive skills and maybe take on a bigger role without Zeller in the middle. Maybe he can turn himself into a Tony Allen type player but I think that is his ultimate best scenario for him. Nothing wrong with that but he has a long way to go until then.
Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies...
User avatar
Flaming Mo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 23,198
And1: 45
Joined: Jan 30, 2002
Location: Germany
     

Re: The 2012-13 NCAA B-Ball thread 

Post#134 » by Flaming Mo » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:09 pm

Oh and I just read that I made a typing mistake, I meant he is limited offensively. Now he clearly has some defensive upside but for how limited he is offensively it will make it hard for NBA teams to keep him on the floor for longer periods of time.
Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies...
User avatar
SkyMason21
Sophomore
Posts: 203
And1: 20
Joined: Aug 01, 2012

Re: The 2012-13 NCAA B-Ball thread 

Post#135 » by SkyMason21 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:16 pm

Flaming Mo wrote:Oh and I just read that I made a typing mistake, I meant he is limited offensively. Now he clearly has some defensive upside but for how limited he is offensively it will make it hard for NBA teams to keep him on the floor for longer periods of time.


Ok that makes way more sense now haha. I think if he can make some improvement in his ball handling (getting more use of his left hand), he could be a decent pick&roll threat. He has a nice first step in pick&rolls from what I've seen and he can make easy kick outs, but he can't really do anything that's not in a straight line.His jump shot is getting better, but I really only expect him to shoot in the mid 30s in the NBA hopefully.
Image
User avatar
SkyMason21
Sophomore
Posts: 203
And1: 20
Joined: Aug 01, 2012

Re: The 2012-13 NCAA B-Ball thread 

Post#136 » by SkyMason21 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:28 pm

Also I doubt he'll be at IU another year because apparently he might graduate in 3 years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB8CwgysaL8

Reporter for IU mentions it at 4:10 or so.
Image
User avatar
Flaming Mo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 23,198
And1: 45
Joined: Jan 30, 2002
Location: Germany
     

Re: The 2012-13 NCAA B-Ball thread 

Post#137 » by Flaming Mo » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:10 pm

Props for that, always like stories of guys who actually care about their academics. Props to him for that but for his basketball career it will not be good to enter the NBA early.
Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies...
User avatar
SkyMason21
Sophomore
Posts: 203
And1: 20
Joined: Aug 01, 2012

Re: The 2012-13 NCAA B-Ball thread 

Post#138 » by SkyMason21 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:38 pm

Flaming Mo wrote:Props for that, always like stories of guys who actually care about their academics. Props to him for that but for his basketball career it will not be good to enter the NBA early.


Yeah, I've heard similar rumors about early graduation for Dieng on Louisville boards, but nothing concrete where Dieng confirms it. I really hope we get a shot at drafting him.
Image
User avatar
Johnny Hoops
General Manager
Posts: 9,418
And1: 1,192
Joined: Nov 28, 2005

Re: The 2012-13 NCAA B-Ball thread 

Post#139 » by Johnny Hoops » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:26 pm

I think Oladipo is a do it all SF in a SG body. I know that the difference is often hard to judge but his offensive limitations are just too big to really be an effective NBA guard. I think he would greatly benefit from another year at Indiana to hone his offensive skills and maybe take on a bigger role without Zeller in the middle. Maybe he can turn himself into a Tony Allen type player but I think that is his ultimate best scenario for him. Nothing wrong with that but he has a long way to go until then.[/quote]

Hi Mo - thanks for your feedback.

On Oladipo -- I was actually impressed with his handle and vision in that game -- along with what I thought was close to elite quickness. I know he's playing the 2 in college but I agree he only looks about 6'3.5" or 6'4" despite being listed at 6'5". He does appear to have really long arms which could help him with the height concern. His shot looks suspect despite what appear to be good 3-point shooting %.

As I watched him - I found myself thinking this kid might be best if transitioned as a bigger point guard. He is really unselfish showed an ability to get in the paint and like I said he showed me good vision / passing ability.
I could see the Tony Allen comparison -- his defensive instincts/tenacity are elite at the college level.

Maybe a poor mans Russell Wesbrook who you convert to the point in the pro's -- understanding he's not a pure point but that he can defend the point and make the right pass out of pick and roll situations.
In any event - he looked interesting as a late 1st round pick and I'm always on board with picking up good athletes who defend and share the ball.
User avatar
SonOfMars
RealGM
Posts: 13,826
And1: 2,723
Joined: Mar 02, 2011
 

Re: The 2012-13 NCAA B-Ball thread 

Post#140 » by SonOfMars » Sat Feb 2, 2013 4:59 pm

Michael Carter-Williams or Trey Burke?
Image
Props Turbo_Zone

Return to New York Knicks


cron