ImageImageImageImageImage

Is it just me or is Breen overly negative

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

CoolKids
RealGM
And1: 2,648

Re: Is it just me or is Breen overly negative 

Post#21 » by CoolKids » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:14 pm

I like breens objectivity for the most part but he can be very annoying
NYKAL
General Manager
And1: 2,157

Post#22 » by NYKAL » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:14 pm

used to get pissed off till I started paying attention to other teams announcers and now, I realize how blessed we are
frogfood
Suspended
And1: 1,609

Post#23 » by frogfood » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:15 pm

Only thing about Breen that I hate was his applause for flopping. "Smart play" he would conclude followed by JVG, rightfully, flying off the handle. Thankfully, Breen has flipped the script on that.
frogfood
Suspended
And1: 1,609

Post#24 » by frogfood » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:16 pm

NYKAL wrote:used to get pissed off till I started paying attention to other teams announcers and now, I realize how blessed we are

We should really be thankful in all honesty. League Pass is almost unwatchable.
NYK Fatality
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#25 » by NYK Fatality » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:22 pm

I never understood the hate on Breen

Sure he is a little scathing on certain players during his Knicks broadcasts but if you ever listen to his national broadcasts, he goes out of his way to defend and praise the Knicks even when they are being crapped on by the other BSPN broadcasters, and I am talking about back when they were bad

He is 100% a Knick fan, probably overly so due IMO but at the same time he is not a homer

Easily the best broadcaster we've had since Marv
Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,044

Post#26 » by Sark » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:32 pm

Seems kind of like the people who love Breen are the same people who didn't want the Carmelo trade, and wanted us to sign Lin.
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 19,917

Post#27 » by blueNorange » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:39 pm

breen is the voice of the nba, he can't be a homer for the knicks and then not be a homer on national tv

there's a great reason why breen calls the nba finals, he's the best of the best

besides, breen has been awesome this year as he was last year
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,868

Post#28 » by Jeff Van Gully » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:13 pm

Thugger HBC wrote:Breen is absolutely a Knicks fan, but he's also a rep announcer for the entire NBA.

He gets alot of flack on here, but I like the guy, all the way from the wfan radio play calling days.

He's one of the best, plain and simple.

i have league pass and i LOVE that our broadcast on MSG is not the homer shullbit that at least 25 of the other 29 teams trot out there every night.

i miss al trautwig. now THAT ninja used to spit fire when the knicks are fudging up.

[adhering to the new rules.]
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
D-BE-LAW
Banned User
And1: 23

Post#29 » by D-BE-LAW » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:19 pm

''Jr smith is not a good ballhandler'' I don't know how many times Ive heard this from breen.
21shumpshumpst
Banned User
And1: 36

Post#30 » by 21shumpshumpst » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:26 pm

I hate Breen. He is always defending the refs even when they are damn awful. He is a damn homer for the refs no one else.

Also I have no problem with people calling out our team for their short comings if fair. However Breen over and over and over does it even if we are doing well. Gets damn annoying.

Having said that I would rather have that then a bunch of homers like all other franchises.
NOOB77
General Manager
And1: 3,288

Post#31 » by NOOB77 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:27 pm

I like Breen when he does any other game besides the Knicks. I wish he was a little less critical and a little more homer. Not over the top homer but had a little more in him. Sometimes he is just over the top negative and it is annoying because he is not like that when he does other NBA games. I think he is over the top negative when he does Knicks games because he doesn't want to be labeled a homer.
nyk
Rookie
And1: 6

Post#32 » by nyk » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:33 pm

I never watch non NY/National broadcasts but am traveling and caught the spurs broadcast yesterday. It was annoying listening to them, it was like they were cheerleaders and not broadcasters. Kept saying 'we" as if they were part of the team, everytime a Knick player protested a foul they were like why are you protesting, everytime a Spur player did it they questioned the foul. Makes me appreciate NY broadcasters more for being objective.
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 19,917

Post#33 » by blueNorange » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:35 pm

D-BE-LAW wrote:''Jr smith is not a good ballhandler'' I don't know how many times Ive heard this from breen.

he's not, last night i found myself yelling at the tv when smith decided to run the offense instead of giving the ball to felton or kidd
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,044

Post#34 » by Sark » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:37 pm

blueNorange wrote:
D-BE-LAW wrote:''Jr smith is not a good ballhandler'' I don't know how many times Ive heard this from breen.

he's not, last night i found myself yelling at the tv when smith decided to run the offense instead of giving the ball to felton or kidd

He's a great ball handler. His decision making is what can be suspect at times.

Now Landry Fields. He's not a good ball handler.
Rasho Brezec
Knicks Forum Euro Scout
And1: 18,400

Post#35 » by Rasho Brezec » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:40 pm

Breen is GOAT announcer, people who hate him simply hate objectivity and professionalism. If you listen carefully, Clyde's the negative one, Breen has praised our guys a number of times this season, especially JR and Carmelo.
Butch718
RealGM
And1: 6,541

Post#36 » by Butch718 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:45 pm

I find myself being annoyed at Breen for being overly critical at our players. I can live with that though. My main problem with Breen is that he has a tendency to jump the gun before watching the replays on certain calls. That's what really irks me at times.

That being said I can't think of many play by play guys I'd rather listen to than Breen when the Knicks are actually playing well. I also like that Clyde is there to correct him when he jumps the gun.
21shumpshumpst
Banned User
And1: 36

Post#37 » by 21shumpshumpst » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:45 pm

Rasho Brezec wrote:Breen is GOAT announcer, people who hate him simply hate objectivity and professionalism. If you listen carefully, Clyde's the negative one, Breen has praised our guys a number of times this season, especially JR and Carmelo.

Do you actually think he is objective about the refs and their calls?
KNIXFAN_83
Analyst
And1: 1,320

Post#38 » by KNIXFAN_83 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:46 pm

Breen and Clyde have been great this year so far.
Johnny Hoops
RealGM
And1: 2,212

Post#39 » by Johnny Hoops » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:53 pm

Not a Mike Breen fan at all.

People who say he is fair have got to be kidding me ---- he takes far too many negative shots at guys like Melo, JR while constantly falling all over himself to crotch rub guys like Lebron, Wade & Kobe.

Kobe could dribble & iso for 20 seconds and launch up a fade-away 23 foot airball and Breen would say anything. Melo on the other hand takes a tough shot with a second defender in the vicinity and Breen is all over the guys case.

I grew up on Marv Albert -- the most fair and balanced announcer I've ever seen. Marv was blunt about it when the Knicks stunk but he didn't belabor negative points over and over again. Breen seems like a nice guy but he seems a bit fake to me doing the games.
Rasho Brezec
Knicks Forum Euro Scout
And1: 18,400

Post#40 » by Rasho Brezec » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:53 pm

21shumpshumpst wrote:
Rasho Brezec wrote:Breen is GOAT announcer, people who hate him simply hate objectivity and professionalism. If you listen carefully, Clyde's the negative one, Breen has praised our guys a number of times this season, especially JR and Carmelo.

Do you actually think he is objective about the refs and their calls?

He's a former referee, so he clearly knows more how the game works than the casual fan. He has no problems proclaiming a wrong call when he sees it, he did both against the Magic and the Spurs.

Return to New York Knicks