ImageImageImageImageImage

Is it just me or is Breen overly negative

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

StephNYKurry
General Manager
And1: 2,198

Re: Is it just me or is Breen overly negative 

Post#161 » by StephNYKurry » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:18 am

clipse375 wrote:Wow, this thread needs to die. There's enough to complain about tonight's game, people are now turning to our announcer. The best announcer there is in the NBA. Shut up. Be glad we have him and not some monotone, boring guy calling our games like Ian Eagle.

Gimme Spero. Ultimate professional. Calls the game as it is. Nothing more, nothing less.

Don't know if they'd ever be able to pull it off, but get Sean McDonough that calls the college games. That guy is the best play by play guy in basketball right now IMO
What do I care...it's rigged anyway
cgmw
RealGM
And1: 9,539

Post#162 » by cgmw » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:36 am

I don't think Breen is the best, but I relate to his POV. Where I come from, New Yorkers are skeptical, cynical, don't-believe-sht-till-I-see-it type people. I'd vomit if we had some yokel homer like every provincial backwater NBA city including Boston.

I relate to Breen, Clyde, and especially JVG. And I have no doubt that Breen is actually holding back criticism in an effort to be balanced. People are quick to feel insecure or annoyed with his criticism, but don't seem to notice when he gives the Knicks well-earned credit. Which means way more from his mouth than say Tommy Heinsohn's.
"Sell the team. Sell the team. Sell the team."
KNIXFAN_83
Analyst
And1: 1,320

Post#163 » by KNIXFAN_83 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:59 am

IMMA SAY THIS! I'VE GOTTEN THE LEAGUE PASS FOR 9 STRAIGHT YEARS AND BREEN AND CLYDE ARE LEAST HOMER ANNOUNCERS IN THE NBA! THAT HAS TO STOP AT SOME POINT!
cgmw
RealGM

Post#164 » by cgmw » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:02 am

KNIXFAN_83 wrote:IMMA SAY THIS! I'VE GOTTEN THE LEAGUE PASS FOR 9 STRAIGHT YEARS AND BREEN AND CLYDE ARE LEAST HOMER ANNOUNCERS IN THE NBA! THAT HAS TO STOP AT SOME POINT!

Way to go ALL CAPS on the commentary about balanced commentary.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,047

Post#165 » by GONYK » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:24 am

I have two main beefs with Breen

1.) His "ALL OF A SUDDEN, ITS AN X POINT GAME!!!", which truthfully, we haven't given the other team's that many chances to inspire him this season.

2.) The way he aggressively fellates members of the other team. Most recent example being Reggie Evans.
Knicks_Fan2
RealGM
And1: 4,648

Post#166 » by Knicks_Fan2 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:46 am

GONYK wrote:I have two main beefs with Breen

1.) His "ALL OF A SUDDEN, ITS AN X POINT GAME!!!", which truthfully, we haven't given the other team's that many chances to inspire him this season.

2.) The way he aggressively fellates members of the other team. Most recent example being Reggie Evans.

Deng was out of control.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
Rasho Brezec
Knicks Forum Euro Scout
And1: 18,400

Post#167 » by Rasho Brezec » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:20 am

This thread is embarassing.
cgmw
RealGM

Post#168 » by cgmw » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:17 am

Rasho Brezec wrote:This thread is embarassing.

Personally, I'm proud that all the national "A" team NBA announcers since Marv have covereed the Knicks and come from the same place as me.

I don't think Breen is as talented as some other national announcers (Kevin Harlan, for example) but I think his Knicks pedigree and consistent objectivity are two of the main reasons he's risen to the top of his industry.

Although TBH I miss me some Marv.
Workforce250
Banned User
And1: 900

Post#169 » by Workforce250 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:12 pm

Breen is very negative towards the Knicks players. Particularly Sheed, JR, and last year Carmelo. It took him awhile to warm up to Melo this year. It took Melo to fly inot the seats for Breen to lay off him. For some reason Breen enjoys bringing up the past reputation of these players and fails to mention and be objective as to how much they have grown as players and teammates.

Sure I recognize that he is a good color man, but some people here don't listen to him or listen like a he's background noise. When broadcasting together, JVG rips him ALL the time and I personally respect JVG awhole lot more than Breen for his knowledge of the game.

You don't have a bigger homer than Michael Kay, however, Kay doesn't constantly bring up the negative past on Yankee players ALL THE TIME. It's getting to a point I rather watch the Knick games on TBS or ESPN, if televised.

I can't wait for Breen to move on.
vallen
RealGM
And1: 3,058

Post#170 » by vallen » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:33 pm

Rasho Brezec wrote:This thread is embarassing.

:nod:

and its hilarious how it re-emerges after every loss. the fans need a whippin boy, and god forbid it be any of the players or coach's, so looks like they chose poor mikey... :nonono:
There's something about an underdog that really inspires the unexceptional.
gavran
RealGM
And1: 7,309

Post#171 » by gavran » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:38 pm

Breen is overly awesome.
MSG
Analyst
And1: 88

Post#172 » by MSG » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:49 pm

People should really go and watch broadcasting crews from some other teams before criticizing Mike Breen.
Him and Clyde are probably the best announcing duo in the whole league (not counting national TV crews).

Listen to the Bulls,Celtics or Cavs announcers for just a quarter and you'll be more than happy you have the privilege of listening Mike Breen every single night.
Kampuchea
RealGM
And1: 8,211

Post#173 » by Kampuchea » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:04 pm

i hate most announcers of others teams, they are too homerish.

I watched the knicks nets game today, Breen says "not a good shot" for players on both teams. I bet when he said it for Melo the people in the game thread were cursing him, but when he said it for Deron nobody noticed.

The only time i like the homerish announcers of other teams is when we are destroying them. For example I loved the "OH NOO!" by the sixers guys so i could LMAO at them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPydIuXzE_M

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPydIuXzE_M[/youtube]
Sprewell4Three
General Manager
And1: 4,771

Post#174 » by Sprewell4Three » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:13 pm

Overly negative? how about very objective?
Some of you Knicks fans act like this team shouldn't be critiqued at all. This team is not as good as some of you blowhards think. Losing twice to a Rose-Less Chicago Bulls team is very alarming.

Last night showed how much we need a guy like Shumpert guarding the perimeter..
Pavvy
Pro Prospect
And1: 218

Post#175 » by Pavvy » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:05 pm

Sprewell4Three wrote:Overly negative? how about very objective?
Some of you Knicks fans act like this team shouldn't be critiqued at all. This team is not as good as some of you blowhards think. Losing twice to a Rose-Less Chicago Bulls team is very alarming.

Last night showed how much we need a guy like Shumpert guarding the perimeter..

breen is fair- to quote the person above - he tried to be objective whereas clyde frazier tries to show a bit more support towards the home team......if you listen to other teams broadcasters they literally say 'we' referring o the home team and always talk highly of their team and hardly anything of the opposing team
from New York to Cyprus and now London and still a die-hard Knicks fan!!
knicksnation1
Senior
And1: 10

Post#176 » by knicksnation1 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:20 pm

MozTheMan wrote:i hate most announcers of others teams, they are too homerish.

I watched the knicks nets game today, Breen says "not a good shot" for players on both teams. I bet when he said it for Melo the people in the game thread were cursing him, but when he said it for Deron nobody noticed.

The only time i like the homerish announcers of other teams is when we are destroying them. For example I loved the "OH NOO!" by the sixers guys so i could LMAO at them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPydIuXzE_M

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPydIuXzE_M[/youtube]

Yeah I remember well he said:"no that's gonna account :evil: :evil: :evil: ." And then after JR's insane dunk he lost all hope of a magic coming back from the 76ers.
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 20,085

Post#177 » by blueNorange » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:39 pm

on mikebreen.com there's a topic called

"is it just me or are knick fans overly sensitive?"
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
Knicksfan20
RealGM
And1: 5,759

Post#178 » by Knicksfan20 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:10 am

breen is starting to piss me off.
TheGarden
Banned User
And1: 1,156

Post#179 » by TheGarden » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:15 am

Breen goes out of his way to point out every negative thing Melo and JR do and praises the opposing team too much

We're not asking for a homer as Clyde can critique without sounding like he enjoys our guys playing bad at times
AfroThunder
Junior
And1: 56

Post#180 » by AfroThunder » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:36 am

You guys sure do love to hear what you want to hear.

He goes out of his way to critic Carmelo and JR? Most of the stuff Breen says about them is positive. He'll mostly say that Smith had improved his all-around game, sure he'll say that Smith chucks a bit too much but isn't that truth?

I generally think he's pretty fair.

Return to New York Knicks