ImageImageImageImageImage

Is it just me or is Breen overly negative

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

MR IB4TL
Senior
And1: 359

Re: Is it just me or is Breen overly negative 

Post#41 » by MR IB4TL » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:55 pm

Breen is really irritating as a Knick fan.
21shumpshumpst
Banned User
And1: 36

Post#42 » by 21shumpshumpst » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:11 pm

Rasho Brezec wrote:
21shumpshumpst wrote:
Rasho Brezec wrote:Breen is GOAT announcer, people who hate him simply hate objectivity and professionalism. If you listen carefully, Clyde's the negative one, Breen has praised our guys a number of times this season, especially JR and Carmelo.

Do you actually think he is objective about the refs and their calls?

He's a former referee, so he clearly knows more how the game works than the casual fan. He has no problems proclaiming a wrong call when he sees it, he did both against the Magic and the Spurs.

JVG has called him out numerous occasions on this and he never had a rebuttal.
He almost never fully says the refs are plain wrong. There is always a caveat to it like "oh it could go either way but I could see why the players are disputing that".
Rasho Brezec
Knicks Forum Euro Scout
And1: 18,400

Post#43 » by Rasho Brezec » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:18 pm

That's just cognitive bias. He specifically said it was a bad call a couple of times in the last two games.
sebstar
Sophomore
And1: 2

Post#44 » by sebstar » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:20 pm

I hate when people say "so and so is objective"....thats an impossibility. All opinions and thoughts pass through an internal process, which imposes personal subjectivity on EVERY expression. Bias is a better description.

Concerning Breen....cant stand him. His tone is very sterile and corporate...and he has a authoritarian, anti-youth, extremely smug affect. This, no doubt, comes from his years of being a referee, a job that assumes an all-knowing presence that cant be questioned. I miss Marv tremendously. He didnt come across like a shameless homer, but still conveyed passion and a "we're in this together" sensibility. He never lost that verve --- he always sounded like he was thrilled to be there. Its just a job to Breen.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,022

Post#45 » by moocow007 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:23 pm

I still remember a game several years back when the Knicks were looking bad early and Breen sounded actually excited...then the Knicks mounted a comeback and Breen actually sounded upset...then was back to sounding excited when the Knicks comeback failed when the other team retook control of the game. Was a really odd sequence of about 4-5 minutes.

But I'd still much rather Breen than someone like Tommy Heinsohn.
StephNYKurry
General Manager
And1: 2,198

Post#46 » by StephNYKurry » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:24 pm

runnyc wrote:Being objective is one thing, but sometimes (not all the time, mind you, just once in a while) he goes out of his way to criticize. I hated it at first, then I got used to it because the team really was bad, but now he's back to annoying me on occasion now that the team is good again. Plus some of his catch phrases irk the hell outta me - "and just like that the lead is cut to..." or "you can sit on a guys head and they won't call a foul..." :lol:

Knicks up 7 in the 2nd Quarter 8:28 to play

"Holiday spots up from 3 and BANG...just like that the lead is 4"

Makes me want to throw things

And the constant nitpicking on every shot that Carmelo Anthony takes REALLY annoys me
What do I care...it's rigged anyway
StephNYKurry
General Manager

Post#47 » by StephNYKurry » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:24 pm

runnyc wrote:Being objective is one thing, but sometimes (not all the time, mind you, just once in a while) he goes out of his way to criticize. I hated it at first, then I got used to it because the team really was bad, but now he's back to annoying me on occasion now that the team is good again. Plus some of his catch phrases irk the hell outta me - "and just like that the lead is cut to..." or "you can sit on a guys head and they won't call a foul..." :lol:

And the constant nitpicking on every shot that Carmelo Anthony takes REALLY annoys me
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#48 » by moocow007 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:27 pm

StephNYKurry wrote:

Maybe Breen = TKF?
21shumpshumpst
Banned User

Post#49 » by 21shumpshumpst » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:33 pm

Rasho Brezec wrote:That's just cognitive bias. He specifically said it was a bad call a couple of times in the last two games.

Cognitive bias would happen when you already have a predetermined bias going in the FIRST TIME you hear a commentator.

I had never heard of Breen until he showed up on the Knicks radar EVER. I had no preconceived notions of his announcing skills.

Yet here we are years later and I notice patterns. Those patters are his stupid bias for the refs and negativity to everything we do.

So you are wrong. No cognitive bias here.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#50 » by moocow007 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:35 pm

21shumpshumpst wrote:
Rasho Brezec wrote:That's just cognitive bias. He specifically said it was a bad call a couple of times in the last two games.

Cognitive bias would happen when you already have a predetermined bias going in the FIRST TIME you hear a commentator.

I had never heard of Breen until he showed up on the Knicks radar EVER. I had no preconceived notions of his announcing skills.

Yet here we are years later and I notice patterns. Those patters are his stupid bias for the refs and negativity to everything we do.

So you are wrong. No cognitive bias here.

Yeah I agree.
Striders
Lead Assistant
And1: 252

Post#51 » by Striders » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:42 pm

The criticisms against Breen...I never really understood. He and Clyde (Who ALSO sounds excited when an opposing player rips into us), bring real professionalism to our broadcast.

We don't need cheerleaders. We need people offering truthful analysis of the game. How much can you actually disagree with Breen about? We HAVE had players who had issues with playing unselfishly, or giving a consistent effort on defense.
Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom. ~George Smith Patton
I_Love_NYK
RealGM
And1: 122

Post#52 » by I_Love_NYK » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:44 pm

Mike Breen would not be working for the Knicks if he was not a fan.
21shumpshumpst
Banned User

Post#53 » by 21shumpshumpst » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:46 pm

I_Love_NYK wrote:Mike Breen would not be working for the Knicks if he was not a fan.

Huh? Last time I checked he gets a big fat check for doing those games. Being a fan has nothing to do with it.
Striders
Lead Assistant
And1: 252

Post#54 » by Striders » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:47 pm

21shumpshumpst wrote:JVG has called him out numerous occasions on this and he never had a rebuttal.
He almost never fully says the refs are plain wrong. There is always a caveat to it like "oh it could go either way but I could see why the players are disputing that".

Because a lot of calls can be subjective. Technically, there's not supposed to BE any player contact in basketball...it's up to the officials to decide which players were in the wrong.

JVG isn't exactly an expert on the rules here. EVEN HE SAYS, "IF IT WERE UP TO ME," so even he realizes that there are legitimate sides to many calls in the game.

EDIT: Personally, I appreciate it when Breen gives us some perspective on a call. A lot of the ref bashing on the internet is pretty senseless. Look at the Raptors board, they seriously believe that the league is out to get them.
Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom. ~George Smith Patton
Rasho Brezec
Knicks Forum Euro Scout
And1: 18,400

Post#55 » by Rasho Brezec » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:52 pm

You don't need to venture all the way to the Raps board to see that.
RealGM
And1: 39,071

Post#56 » by 2010 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:41 pm

I seriously can't stand dude! It's like listening to TKF call a Knicks game (with the lone exception that Breeen absolutely loves the refs and sides with all their awful calls).

Did anyone notice how excited Breen got when Kidd threw that ball away turning it over to the Spurs in afrantic scramble with a few seconds left? Sounded like he was straight up rooting for them. I bet he had premature ejaculation in his boxers.

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
StephNYKurry
General Manager

Post#57 » by StephNYKurry » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:46 pm

It also doesn't help him that he's what amounts to David Stern's Mob Lawyer.
frogfood
Suspended
And1: 1,609

Post#58 » by frogfood » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:46 pm

New Drinking Game (feel free to add):

Calls a flop, a "smart play"
    That loose ball thing he says where players jump in
    Not a good shot by JR
nykfan42
Head Coach
And1: 3,077

Post#59 » by nykfan42 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:50 pm

Give me a break :roll: Mike Breen is great and not overly negative, he keeps it real and doesn't sugar coat. Stop being so sensitive.
Make the Knicks great again!
CharlesOakley
Veteran
And1: 2,483

Post#60 » by CharlesOakley » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:58 pm

Mike Breen was full of compliments last game. He said how much better JR PuffnStuff was playing, how good the ball movement was, how Kidd was a calming influence, how Melo was playing very unselfish. He isn't a homer or a hater. The Knicks have sucked for a long time - he only recently can sound overtly positive and IMO he has.

Return to New York Knicks