ImageImageImageImageImage

Where is Camby??

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,913

Re: Where is Camby?? 

Post#81 » by god shammgod » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:26 pm

cgmw wrote:I think it's very exciting to see him out there in his number 23 again. Not gonna lie, I winced when I saw him hit the ground for that loose ball against Psycho T. (Winced because I thought he was going to reinjure himself).

Shamm, I've always respected your views, and I hope you know that hasn't changed. But I've also shared a mutual annoyance with your worldview as well. Everything I've learned in life tells me that the past matters, and that demanding better of yourself in the future is no impediment to enjoying the present. Your comments seem to indicate an outlook that the past is behind us and that the only way to enjoy the present is to not worry about the future.

Listen, I'm not interested in casting judgement on Camby. But I do have expectations. I'm not interested in feeling good about myself because I root for a team that's 7-1. I'm interested in the Knicks winning a championship. To do that, we need a lot of help and that includes a healthy Camby.

i respect you too, there's no problem between us. and i agreed that camby is not in the best shape at the moment but i'm not actually worried about it. i don't think it's going to be an issue all season.
as far as expectations, the knicks are outdoing what everyone thought at the moment. so it's hard for me to be too critical. we're seeing a best case scenario basically. i'm just enjoying it. i'm living in the present. i haven't forgotten the past but i'm not letting it effect me right now. but you know what, like i said, it's not my job to tell you what to think. maybe i'm being too critical of you. sorry if it comes off that way.
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#82 » by Thugger HBC » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:28 pm

Why compare Sheed to Camby?

Sheed wasn't in shape either, barely practiced.

He playing due to skill set, he's still not really in shape.

Seeing Camby dive on the floor, win a tip, and block a shot shows he coming into the shape he needs to be in.

They aren't the same players so their gameshapes won't be the same.

Sent from my Asus TR700T-B1-GR using Xparent Sky Blue Tapatalk 2
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
cgmw
RealGM
And1: 9,537

Post#83 » by cgmw » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:35 pm

Thugger HBC wrote:Why compare Sheed to Camby?

Seeing Camby dive on the floor, win a tip, and block a shot shows he coming into the shape he needs to be in.

Comparisons? You mean besides the fact that they're both late 30 year old 6'11 centers for the Knicks who signed unexpected contracts this offseason to split minutes as Tyson Chandler's backup? :wink:

Like it or not, NBA contracts create a certain set of expectations. I think it's completely fair to expect more out of the guy getting 3 years, $12m than the one getting 1 year, $1.3m.

I'm hopeful that he actually fulfills those expectations, but his slow start isn't helping.
"Sell the team. Sell the team. Sell the team."
cgmw
RealGM

Post#84 » by cgmw » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:38 pm

god shammgod wrote:

i respect you too, there's no problem between us. and i agreed that camby is not in the best shape at the moment but i'm not actually worried about it. i don't think it's going to be an issue all season.
as far as expectations, the knicks are outdoing what everyone thought at the moment. so it's hard for me to be too critical. we're seeing a best case scenario basically. i'm just enjoying it. i'm living in the present. i haven't forgotten the past but i'm not letting it effect me right now. but you know what, like i said, it's not my job to tell you what to think. maybe i'm being too critical of you. sorry if it comes off that way.

:beer:
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,280

Post#85 » by thebuzzardman » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:40 pm

Anyone ever consider Knicks are taking advantage of depth and working him in slowly, based more on his timing then being in shape?
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#86 » by Thugger HBC » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:40 pm

Skillsets supercede all.

I expect way more from Sheed than I do from Novak.

Sheed, skill wise can do everything Camby can.

Camby provides depth which is needed as well.

But pay doesn't dictate importance in role players.

R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,913

Post#87 » by god shammgod » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:41 pm

cgmw wrote:
Thugger HBC wrote:Why compare Sheed to Camby?

Comparisons? You mean besides the fact that they're both late 30 year old 6'11 centers for the Knicks who signed unexpected contracts this offseason to split minutes as Tyson Chandler's backup? :wink:

Like it or not, NBA contracts create a certain set of expectations. I think it's completely fair to expect more out of the guy getting 3 years, $12m than the one getting 1 year, $1.3m.

I'm hopeful that he actually fulfills those expectations, but his slow start isn't helping.

yeah but take with the good with the bad. there's not a person here who expected to be getting this kind of production out of sheed. his signing was thoroughly criticized here and he's playing way past expectations. that's a good thing and doesn't really have anything to do with camby.
fdr2012
Banned User
And1: 70

Post#88 » by fdr2012 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:42 pm

cgmw wrote:I guess I expected a pro athlete who was cleared for running on October 22 to be in "basketball shape" by November 18,

As I wrote at the top of the page, I'm not expecting the fountain of youth. But I'd like to see him become more of a contributor than the 38 year old who came out of two years of retirement and signed for the vet min.

Sheed has always been a more talented player than Camby. Camby can't play the post like Sheed and he can't shoot like Sheed. You can't expect rebounding and defense from Camby, nothing more and that's what he provided last night.
cgmw
RealGM

Post#89 » by cgmw » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:46 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:Anyone ever consider Knicks are taking advantage of depth and working him in slowly, based more on his timing then being in shape?

Absolutely. There's definitely a strength in numbers thing going on with our old guys. Kidd is clearly benefiting from Felton doing most of the heavy lifting. Kurt filled in for Sheed to start the season. Now Sheed seems to be filling in for Camby. I think if between them, we can get one solid producer at all times we're doing great.
seren
RealGM
And1: 4,207

Post#90 » by seren » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:01 pm

Even if 100 percent healthy and in shape, I believe most nights will go to Rashweed's way. Due to the fact that he actually has an offensive game.

I perceive Camby more as an injury and foul trouble replacement to Chandler.
fdr2012
Banned User

Post#91 » by fdr2012 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:12 pm

cgmw wrote:Comparisons? You mean besides the fact that they're both late 30 year old 6'11 centers for the Knicks who signed unexpected contracts this offseason to split minutes as Tyson Chandler's backup? :wink:

How does the fact that Sheed is playing well (better than expected) change anything about Camby. Camby is doing exactly what the Knicks expected him to do. He's still one of the premier rebounders in the game, and he can still block some shots and play good interior defense.

Camby's contract is actually only $10M guaranteed. So yeah, he's overpaid, but so what?
RealGM
And1: 39,202

Post#92 » by 2010 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:13 pm

Maybe Camby's face just = bad genes?

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
fdr2012
Banned User

Post#93 » by fdr2012 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:15 pm

Thugger HBC wrote:Camby provides depth which is needed as well.

Camby is a better rebounder than Sheed. Camby, even at 38 is one of the premier rebounders in the game.

I expect nothing more from Camby than 0.4 rebounds for every one minute he's on the court and good interior D. He's already doing it right now.

Where is the big disappointment coming from?
seren
RealGM
And1: 4,207

Post#94 » by seren » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:21 pm

Team sometimes pay bigs even though they know these guys will not get minutes under normal circumstances. Once you think of Camby as Chandler insurance and not a regular rotation player, you feel better about his deal.
DLTGWH
Sixth Man
And1: 670

Post#95 » by DLTGWH » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:27 pm

Marcus looks ~ 20 lbs overweight still.

He is REALLY lumbering out there. He's old, but guys like Sheed and KT are seemingly in far better shape. He's gone from being anthony davis athletic to patrick ewing circa 99.
cgmw
RealGM

Post#96 » by cgmw » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:30 pm

fdr2012 wrote:Where is the big disappointment coming from?

Cumulative effect of multiple disagreeing responses to one fairly benign comment on Camby's health/conditioning that "at least this NY native is starting to get restless."

I was giving Camby some grief for not being in game shape yet, which considering his chosen profession and recently signed contract, I think is fair enough.

As the only person expressing disappointment, I can tell you that I wouldn't come close to categorizing it as "big." More like, mild disappointment with wariness about the future.
fdr2012
Banned User

Post#97 » by fdr2012 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:31 pm

seren wrote:Team sometimes pay bigs even though they know these guys will not get minutes under normal circumstances. Once you think of Camby as Chandler insurance and not a regular rotation player, you feel better about his deal.

We didn't give up anything or anyone to get Camby and we're not under the cap. It makes no difference is he makes $3M or $5M per year.

So yeah, Camby is overpaid, but he's still a great asset to have on this team.
cgmw
RealGM

Post#98 » by cgmw » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:35 pm

And as far as skepticism about the future, I'm sorry but it's hard to hear that he's out of game shape and then see a picture like this without suspecting that he might just be done.

j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,489

Post#99 » by j4remi » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:38 pm

cgmw wrote:And as far as skepticism about the future, I'm sorry but it's hard to hear that he's out of game shape and then see a picture like this without suspecting that he might just be done.

You have every right to be skeptical...but I'll take his play on the court over a picture. We saw a ton of "Ray's fat" pictures leading up to the season and he might have the best motor on the team right now. What little I've seen of Camby on the floor, I don't think he's done at all.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
cgmw
RealGM

Post#100 » by cgmw » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:40 pm

j4remi wrote:You have every right to be skeptical...but I'll take his play on the court over a picture. We saw a ton of "Ray's fat" pictures leading up to the season and he might have the best motor on the team right now. What little I've seen of Camby on the floor, I don't think he's done at all.

I think he'll be fine. But my point is, get your sh*t together Marcus. We need you healthy and in shape.

Return to New York Knicks