ImageImageImageImageImage

Steve Novak's trade value?

Moderators: moocow007, magnumt, Thugger HBC, Knickstape1214, NoLayupRule, Thorn, j4remi, Brooklyn_Yards, mrpoetryNmotion, GONYK

JDs_loot
Senior
Posts: 653
And1: 18
Joined: Aug 04, 2012

Steve Novak's trade value? 

Post#1 » by JDs_loot » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:15 pm

I'm not saying I want him gone, but when Ama're comes back and Camby get's tossed in to the rotation, I'm wondering if there will be any minutes for Steve. I'm just wondering about his trade value right now. Can we get a good first rounder for him? What can we get for him?
User avatar
cgmw
RealGM
Posts: 14,890
And1: 1,012
Joined: Jul 23, 2003
Location: Winning now since 1973
Contact:
 

Re: Steve Novak's trade value? 

Post#2 » by cgmw » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:18 pm

Say Queensbridge

Image
"Willingly, gratefully."
JDs_loot
Senior
Posts: 653
And1: 18
Joined: Aug 04, 2012

Re: Steve Novak's trade value? 

Post#3 » by JDs_loot » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:20 pm

cgmw wrote:Say Queensbridge

Image


I wouldn't want to do that trade. A younger Artest, defiantly. MWP, hell no.
User avatar
Pharmcat
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 43,449
And1: 1,196
Joined: Oct 04, 2002

Re: Steve Novak's trade value? 

Post#4 » by Pharmcat » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:20 pm

this team needs novak

hes a 3 pt shooter that keeps the D honest, even if he is used as a decoy
User avatar
cgmw
RealGM
Posts: 14,890
And1: 1,012
Joined: Jul 23, 2003
Location: Winning now since 1973
Contact:
 

Re: Steve Novak's trade value? 

Post#5 » by cgmw » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:21 pm

JDs_loot wrote:
cgmw wrote:Say Queensbridge

Image


I wouldn't want to do that trade. A younger Artest, defiantly. MWP, hell no.

Didn't say I'd do it. Just answered a question about Novak's trade value right now.
"Willingly, gratefully."
JDs_loot
Senior
Posts: 653
And1: 18
Joined: Aug 04, 2012

Re: Steve Novak's trade value? 

Post#6 » by JDs_loot » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:22 pm

Pharmcat wrote:this team needs novak

hes a 3 pt shooter that keeps the D honest, even if he is used as a decoy


Good point. When we are at full strength, what position does he play...backing up melo at SF?
User avatar
cgmw
RealGM
Posts: 14,890
And1: 1,012
Joined: Jul 23, 2003
Location: Winning now since 1973
Contact:
 

Re: Steve Novak's trade value? 

Post#7 » by cgmw » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:25 pm

JDs_loot wrote:
Pharmcat wrote:this team needs novak

hes a 3 pt shooter that keeps the D honest, even if he is used as a decoy


Good point. When we are at full strength, what position does he play...backing up melo at SF?

IMO he plays left bench.

He can't play at the same time as Amar'e because of defensive liability. The offense is moving further and further away from what he's good at (spacing the floor as a spot-up shooter), and will move even further away when Amar'e returns and we stop posting up Carmelo (because Amar'e can't pass out of the post).

IMO it would be very aggressive, but very wise to move Novak now while his value is still high. The longer we play him in a non-fastbreaking isolation-based offense, the further his value will plummet.
"Willingly, gratefully."
User avatar
cgmw
RealGM
Posts: 14,890
And1: 1,012
Joined: Jul 23, 2003
Location: Winning now since 1973
Contact:
 

Re: Steve Novak's trade value? 

Post#8 » by cgmw » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:29 pm

Actually, upon further reflection -- My problem is imagining a way for Novak to coexist with both Carmelo and Amar'e. If Amar'e returns healthy (and cannot be traded), then I think moving Novak for value might be the way to go.
"Willingly, gratefully."
JDs_loot
Senior
Posts: 653
And1: 18
Joined: Aug 04, 2012

Re: Steve Novak's trade value? 

Post#9 » by JDs_loot » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:29 pm

cgmw wrote:
JDs_loot wrote:
Pharmcat wrote:this team needs novak

hes a 3 pt shooter that keeps the D honest, even if he is used as a decoy


Good point. When we are at full strength, what position does he play...backing up melo at SF?

IMO he plays left bench.

He can't play at the same time as Amar'e because of defensive liability. The offense is moving further and further away from what he's good at (spacing the floor as a spot-up shooter), and will move even further away when Amar'e returns and we stop posting up Carmelo (because Amar'e can't pass out of the post).

IMO it would be very aggressive, but very wise to move Novak now while his value is still high. The longer we play him in a non-fastbreaking isolation-based offense, the further his value will plummet.


IMO I think you're right, but a three point specialist on a team is a nice luxury to have, even if there aren't regular minutes available for him.
Massimo
Banned User
Posts: 2,677
And1: 66
Joined: Feb 01, 2011

Re: Steve Novak's trade value? 

Post#10 » by Massimo » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:29 pm

We need Novak. He is always a thread for the opponents. When Amare comes back, I hope Woodson uses him as a shooting guard and JR as a guard. So that we can open up a space for Melo since JR and Novak can put up 3s, Amare can score from mid range. As soon as Melo drives in, he could finish it or gets a double teamed so our shooters can have an empty bucket.
User avatar
cgmw
RealGM
Posts: 14,890
And1: 1,012
Joined: Jul 23, 2003
Location: Winning now since 1973
Contact:
 

Re: Steve Novak's trade value? 

Post#11 » by cgmw » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:31 pm

Massimo wrote:We need Novak. He is always a thread for the opponents. When Amare comes back, I hope Woodson uses him as a shooting guard and JR as a guard. So that we can open up a space for Melo since JR and Novak can put up 3s, Amare can score from mid range. As soon as Melo drives in, he could finish it or gets a double teamed so our shooters can have an empty bucket.

That lineup better score 150 ppg because it might be the worst defensive lineup in the history of basketball.
"Willingly, gratefully."
User avatar
basketboule
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,476
And1: 30
Joined: Mar 01, 2005

Re: Steve Novak's trade value? 

Post#12 » by basketboule » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:33 pm

what would you even want as compensation? as constructed this team is absolutely rolling (with its franchise player only about to play his first game of the season).

novak was, is and remains extremely useful.
JDs_loot
Senior
Posts: 653
And1: 18
Joined: Aug 04, 2012

Re: Steve Novak's trade value? 

Post#13 » by JDs_loot » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:34 pm

Massimo wrote:We need Novak. He is always a thread for the opponents. When Amare comes back, I hope Woodson uses him as a shooting guard and JR as a guard. So that we can open up a space for Melo since JR and Novak can put up 3s, Amare can score from mid range. As soon as Melo drives in, he could finish it or gets a double teamed so our shooters can have an empty bucket.


You can't ask Novak to guard two's. That's just not happening.
User avatar
Rasho Brezec
RealGM
Posts: 48,866
And1: 6,903
Joined: Mar 12, 2008
Contact:
 

Re: Steve Novak's trade value? 

Post#14 » by Rasho Brezec » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:34 pm

Queensbridge.
Image
User avatar
cgmw
RealGM
Posts: 14,890
And1: 1,012
Joined: Jul 23, 2003
Location: Winning now since 1973
Contact:
 

Re: Steve Novak's trade value? 

Post#15 » by cgmw » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:38 pm

Rasho Brezec wrote:Queensbridge.

DaJuan Blair is the other obvious trade. Not saying I'd do it, but that seems about right in terms of trade value. Maybe we get a little more, maybe a little less. But ballpark, we'd be able to get back Artest and Blair type players.
"Willingly, gratefully."
JDs_loot
Senior
Posts: 653
And1: 18
Joined: Aug 04, 2012

Re: Steve Novak's trade value? 

Post#16 » by JDs_loot » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:39 pm

basketboule wrote:what would you even want as compensation? as constructed this team is absolutely rolling (with its franchise player only about to play his first game of the season).

novak was, is and remains extremely useful.


I agree that he's useful, but if he's not getting any time, he becomes a luxury. The question is what can we get for him?
JDs_loot
Senior
Posts: 653
And1: 18
Joined: Aug 04, 2012

Re: Steve Novak's trade value? 

Post#17 » by JDs_loot » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:41 pm

cgmw wrote:
Rasho Brezec wrote:Queensbridge.

DaJuan Blair is the other obvious trade. Not saying I'd do it, but that seems about right in terms of trade value. Maybe we get a little more, maybe a little less. But ballpark, we'd be able to get back Artest and Blair type players.


I would do that. IMO Blair is an upgrade over sheed. I don't know if SA would do that, being that they had Novak and cut him.
User avatar
Rasho Brezec
RealGM
Posts: 48,866
And1: 6,903
Joined: Mar 12, 2008
Contact:
 

Re: Steve Novak's trade value? 

Post#18 » by Rasho Brezec » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:43 pm

Artest is a nutjob and we're a sane veteran team. Steve Novak was just signed to a new ccontract and is not going anywhere. Aneare is expendable.
Image
User avatar
cgmw
RealGM
Posts: 14,890
And1: 1,012
Joined: Jul 23, 2003
Location: Winning now since 1973
Contact:
 

Re: Steve Novak's trade value? 

Post#19 » by cgmw » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:48 pm

Rasho Brezec wrote:Artest is a nutjob and we're a sane veteran team. Steve Novak was just signed to a new ccontract and is not going anywhere. Aneare is UNTRADEABLE.

Fixed.
"Willingly, gratefully."
JDs_loot
Senior
Posts: 653
And1: 18
Joined: Aug 04, 2012

Re: Steve Novak's trade value? 

Post#20 » by JDs_loot » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:49 pm

cgmw wrote:
Rasho Brezec wrote:Artest is a nutjob and we're a sane veteran team. Steve Novak was just signed to a new ccontract and is not going anywhere. Aneare is UNTRADEABLE.

Fixed.


Agreed!!!

Novak has a higher trader value than Ama're.

Return to New York Knicks