ImageImageImageImageImage

J.R. SMITH : best price/benefit ratio?

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

cgmw
RealGM
And1: 9,443

Re: J.R. SMITH : best price/benefit ratio? 

Post#61 » by cgmw » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:46 pm

fdr2012 wrote:
j4remi wrote:What about incremental raises? I keep seeing that figure but no one explains it...where the hell is suicidedeuce or kosmovitelli when we need 'em.

I think max raises are 4% Y/oY. That means an extra 200K per year, so it comes up to something like 4/$21M.

My guess is we actually offer him another 1 year deal with a 2nd year PO so that we retain his full bird rights in 2014. In the alternative, I wouldn't be shocked if CAA and Dolan have already agreed in principal to give JR whatever the hell he wants under the CBA, whether it's 4 years or 1 year.

The tricky part will be whether another team comes in and offers him something significantly more than what the CBA allows us to offer. If that happens, you'd think he's gone.
"Sell the team. Sell the team. Sell the team."
fdr2012
Banned User
And1: 70

Post#62 » by fdr2012 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:48 pm

Guys who think that JR is getting more than $5M PER are not living in 2012. With the new CBA, 6th men are not being paid big money anymore, and definitely not 28 YO guys with JRs baggage.

You have guys like Brewer and Watson, who were making $3M-$5M under the old CBA, now playing for the min. A guy like Mayo is getting $4M. Bench players are no longer getting big money in this league. I think the biggest contract for a bench guy in the new CBA was Taj Gibson @ $8M+, but he's a big and could be a starter in the future. Other than that, there's Jeff Green (who's also expected to start after Pierce is gone) and everybody else got $5M or less.
fdr2012
Banned User
And1: 70

Post#63 » by fdr2012 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:54 pm

cgmw wrote:My guess is we actually offer him another 1 year deal with a 2nd year PO so that we retain his full bird rights in 2014. In the alternative, I wouldn't be shocked if CAA and Dolan have already agreed in principal to give JR whatever the hell he wants under the CBA, whether it's 4 years or 1 year.

The tricky part will be whether another team comes in and offers him something significantly more than what the CBA allows us to offer. If that happens, you'd think he's gone.

I'm hoping that the Knicks don't offer JR more than a 3 year deal. He'll probably be past his prime in year 4.

I can't see another team coming in with a big contract for JR. Only teams with cap space to do that are lotto teams and I can't see any of them taking a shot at him as a starter with a big contract. He's not young enough to be a building block for the future and he's not good enough to turn a lotto team into a playoff team.
knicksosmoove
Lead Assistant
And1: 23

Post#64 » by knicksosmoove » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:02 pm

ehhhh, I'm sorry you guys but the "building up his value" and "losing in the short run to gain in the long run" arguments sound pretty specious to me. Dude's getting paid $2.8 million this year. if landry got a $20 million contract, no doubt JR could have at least gotten something close to that. losing out on the opportunity to get a real contract in a sport where you are so vulnerable to injury just isn't wise. Plus, even if he wanted to "build his value up" before getting his next long-term contract, I'm sure he could have gone to another team for much more money for a year or two. as long as it wasn't some dummy team like the wizards or kings, all he'd have to do is play well and in control to boost his value.

I'm thinking he's either stupid (which is VERY possible) or there's some under-the-table agreement going on (who's ready for Assistant GM Earl Smith in 2023???)
cgmw
RealGM
And1: 9,443

Post#65 » by cgmw » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:38 pm

Don't forgetet the pocket change he gets under the table from lil brother Chris.

I kid. I kid.

No seriously.
"Sell the team. Sell the team. Sell the team."
Fury
RealGM
And1: 14,935

Post#66 » by Fury » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:45 pm

Mike Woodson would whip the **** out of JR if he left.

JR should be like a 4 year, 32 million dollar player.
sebstar
Sophomore
And1: 2

Post#67 » by sebstar » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:47 pm

Both Gallo and Wilson Chandler signed multi-year deals under the new agreement that are roughly 10 and 9 mill a year, respectively. How do their deals factor into your analysis?
Fury
RealGM
And1: 14,935

Post#68 » by Fury » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:48 pm

Is that true about the early rights thing? We could only offer 5 million max with raises?
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 41,903

Post#69 » by GONYK » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:53 pm

Fury wrote:Is that true about the early rights thing? We could only offer 5 million max with raises?

According to Larry Coon, we can offer him whichever is higher between a 175% raise or 104% of the average salary from the previous season.

Either way, it comes up to about 5-5.5M starting salary for next season. We have to sign him to at least a 2yr deal.
R-DAWG
RealGM
And1: 5,009

Post#70 » by R-DAWG » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:56 pm

Why are we thinking about next year? I think we have a chance to have a deep playoff run THIS year so we should be enjoying that.

JR signed for 2.8m because there weren't any better offers on the table. Under the new CBA, the so called "mid level player" is disappearing. Your either good enough to get max or near max, or you take a deal close to the lower mid level of $3m. Guys like CJ Watson and Ronnie Brewer, the starting backcourt for half of last season for the bulls signed min salary deals.

I would be careful of giving JR a long term deal. He's motivated and in shape this year, but how much of that is because the big contract wasn't there this offseason? Does it change after he gets paid. He's the ultimate high risk, high reward player.
GeneralNbaFan
Pro Prospect
And1: 34

Post#71 » by GeneralNbaFan » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:44 pm

knicksosmoove wrote:ehhhh, I'm sorry you guys but the "building up his value" and "losing in the short run to gain in the long run" arguments sound pretty specious to me. Dude's getting paid $2.8 million this year. if landry got a $20 million contract, no doubt JR could have at least gotten something close to that. losing out on the opportunity to get a real contract in a sport where you are so vulnerable to injury just isn't wise. Plus, even if he wanted to "build his value up" before getting his next long-term contract, I'm sure he could have gone to another team for much more money for a year or two. as long as it wasn't some dummy team like the wizards or kings, all he'd have to do is play well and in control to boost his value.

I'm thinking he's either stupid (which is VERY possible) or there's some under-the-table agreement going on (who's ready for Assistant GM Earl Smith in 2023???)

Thank God, someone knows how sport works..... no one will ( especially if he isnt on his 3rd / 4rd big contract) get paid massively less, to play for a team he loves.....it doesnt work!
But he did! Therefore I think its a mix of 3 things!
1. He isnt the smartest
2. He got paid under the table
3. He also loves to play here (New York/ Woodson), where he also contributes!

Return to New York Knicks