ImageImageImageImageImage

Melo playing All-NBA quality D

Moderators: moocow007, magnumt, Thorn, j4remi, Brooklyn_Yards, mrpoetryNmotion, GONYK, Thugger HBC, Knickstape1214, NoLayupRule

User avatar
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
Posts: 13,164
And1: 1,672
Joined: Jul 14, 2010
Location: New York City the best city in the world
     

Melo playing All-NBA quality D 

Post#1 » by MaseInYourFace » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:02 pm

Melo is playing his azz off on the defensive end. Wow! I am so impressed. Remember there was a time many thought this was impossible. Keep it up Melo!!!
User avatar
SonOfMars
RealGM
Posts: 13,849
And1: 2,720
Joined: Mar 01, 2011
Location: 21 Shump Street
 

Re: Melo playing All-NBA quality D 

Post#2 » by SonOfMars » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:05 pm

I credit this man

Image
Image
Props Turbo_Zone
User avatar
boomann21
RealGM
Posts: 24,449
And1: 1,446
Joined: Dec 07, 2005
Location: In the Wind

Re: Melo playing All-NBA quality D 

Post#3 » by boomann21 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:07 pm



BIG UP TO ALL MY HATERS!!
Chris435
Starter
Posts: 2,390
And1: 20
Joined: Feb 24, 2008
 

Re: Melo playing All-NBA quality D 

Post#4 » by Chris435 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:27 pm

Melo's definitely putting in more effort. His issue is continuing to do it over a large number of games.

No more short spurts. No more taking games off. Hopefully, he continues to show the effort over the course of the season.
User avatar
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
Posts: 13,164
And1: 1,672
Joined: Jul 14, 2010
Location: New York City the best city in the world
     

Re: Melo playing All-NBA quality D 

Post#5 » by MaseInYourFace » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:29 pm

It's part effort but he's also just doing a much better job overall. I believe in it. He's done it every game so far. The key thing is he has a coach who constantly harps about that end of the court.
User avatar
Hemispheres
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,958
And1: 211
Joined: Dec 17, 2008
 

Re: Melo playing All-NBA quality D 

Post#6 » by Hemispheres » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:34 pm

Yeah, Melo talked a lot in the off-season and so far he's backing it up.

I give some credit to Woodson, but the majority to Melo cause at the end of the day he's responsible for his own performances good and bad. That is why I was critical of him in the past and so impressed with him right now.
User avatar
PornDoc
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,295
And1: 203
Joined: Jan 15, 2004
Location: Fck the Nets
     

Re: Melo playing All-NBA quality D 

Post#7 » by PornDoc » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:39 pm

He's been pretty much the best player on the court every game so far. That's impressive.
User avatar
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 25,774
And1: 2,441
Joined: Jun 23, 2008
         

Re: Melo playing All-NBA quality D 

Post#8 » by j4remi » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:48 pm

PornDoc wrote:He's been pretty much the best player on the court every game so far. That's impressive.


Especially when you consider the players he's shared the floor with in this short span. Comparatively, a lot of teams with records similar to our own have had the benefit of playing weaker opposition.
BAT - Hawks
Rajon Rondo/Brian Roberts/Shane Larkin
Kyle Korver/Evan Fournier
Terrence Ross/Vince Carter
Al Horford/Mike Scott/Jonas Jerebko
Brandan Wright/Jermaine O'neal

385
User avatar
JBreezeNY
RealGM
Posts: 12,784
And1: 3,424
Joined: Nov 24, 2010
Location: #S.S.B.for.K.A.T.
Contact:
       

Re: Melo playing All-NBA quality D 

Post#9 » by JBreezeNY » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:51 pm

Always thought Melo was a average/below average defender with the potential to be a good defender. Nothing close to great or elite......but goddamn he has shocked me this year. Wow.
#Sh*tStainBrownForKarlAnthonyTowns
User avatar
DE FENSE
RealGM
Posts: 13,161
And1: 1,181
Joined: Aug 22, 2006
Location: Brooklyn
   

Re: Melo playing All-NBA quality D 

Post#10 » by DE FENSE » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:23 pm

Hemispheres wrote:Yeah, Melo talked a lot in the off-season and so far he's backing it up.

I give some credit to Woodson, but the majority to Melo cause at the end of the day he's responsible for his own performances good and bad. That is why I was critical of him in the past and so impressed with him right now.


Yeah you have to give Melo a ton of credit. He's taken a step forward as a player. I've never questioned Melo's ability to defend, just his desire to do so on a consistent basis. Woodson definitely deserves some credit there; the whole team is motivated on defense.
ImageImage
br7knicks
RealGM
Posts: 20,100
And1: 1,411
Joined: Dec 01, 2008
       

Re: Melo playing All-NBA quality D 

Post#11 » by br7knicks » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:51 pm

there's a God Damn post game thread.

and he's fouling too much to go along with good D
When Acy starts: 2-0
When Amare starts: 0-2
SuperflyKnick
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,344
And1: 672
Joined: Feb 23, 2003

Re: Melo playing All-NBA quality D 

Post#12 » by SuperflyKnick » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:52 pm

wish he wud stop bitching bout calls and rub back on D
User avatar
kane2021
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 13,849
And1: 1,952
Joined: Oct 03, 2008
Location: It's OK to feel that way. Just sick of hearing about it all the time.

Re: Melo playing All-NBA quality D 

Post#13 » by kane2021 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:16 am

I have been blown away by carmelo this season. Defense and leadership have been the 2 biggest knocks on him. And he has done those things under woodson. Not just improving them. But taking them to a point where he is going to lose the "just a scorer" tag.

Another thing he has done is prove that numbers dont tell the story. Most of us know that anyway. But his assist numbers are in no way a reflection of his willingness to pass. Honestly, he could take risks passing the ball for numbers if he wished. But he is hitting the guy who can hit the guy.

He improved right away under woodson last season. But this season he looks like a stopper at times. Just amazing work from carmelo. I think he has even more talent to show. And if wishes, can elevate even further as a player.

Some guys need a fresh start to begin evolving. I did not think carmelo was one of those guys. I thought this was a what you see is what you get type deal. From the very beginning I saw more. His 3 point shooting was better than I thought. His passing was way above my expectations. Early in this season I am seeing even more improvement.

I was talking to a guy over here who is a knick fan. (rare down here) He asked me what I thought about carmelo. I said "I dont think I have ever seen him dive for a ball. I have seen him lay down on the free throw line while players step around him. And I saw him start a fight then run away. He's good at what he does. I just question his motives."

That night he stripped a ball from a guy. Then dived on the floor for it. He also jumped into the stands for another play he forced. Landed on fans and got a drink on him. I was just speechless. This guy is earning my respect with this hard work to win.
Image

Never underestimate the strength of knowledge.

Bring back the physical game and send the softies home.
User avatar
Ron Mexico
Analyst
Posts: 3,020
And1: 628
Joined: Jul 31, 2010
Location: Harlem
       

Re: Melo playing All-NBA quality D 

Post#14 » by Ron Mexico » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:19 am

kane2021 wrote:
Some guys need a fresh start to begin evolving. I did not think carmelo was one of those guys. I thought this was a what you see is what you get type deal. From the very beginning I saw more. His 3 point shooting was better than I thought. His passing was way above my expectations. Early in this season I am seeing even more improvement.


word.

and i think people who don't watch knick games are always going to look at him with the shooter-only stigma, unfortunately. but we know the truth. and our win totals will reflect it.
I_Love_NYK
RealGM
Posts: 10,836
And1: 121
Joined: Jul 31, 2002
Location: jersey city,nj
Contact:

Re: Melo playing All-NBA quality D 

Post#15 » by I_Love_NYK » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:02 am

Woodson does not care who you are he will get in your face if your not playing D. Melo also respects him as a coach. He endorsed him to be the head coach of the Knicks. I remember last year Stoudemire let Bargiani blow by him for a dunk and Woodson immediately got on his face for letting that happen.
swagga vujacic
Ballboy
Posts: 32
And1: 0
Joined: Jan 17, 2009

Re: Melo playing All-NBA quality D 

Post#16 » by swagga vujacic » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:18 am

I think this guy is a Melo hater but he seems like a knowledgeable guy and I respect his analysis. Not sure if everyone has seen this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CxAlIaV ... re=g-all-u
User avatar
frogfood
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,248
And1: 886
Joined: Nov 17, 2005
Location: the spice mines of kessel
     

Re: Melo playing All-NBA quality D 

Post#17 » by frogfood » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:52 am

His videos are pretty good. I can see people here getting upset easily. FWIW he seems like a Westbrook hater but that's kind of justified.

Not sure how you can disagree with any of his points in that video.
User avatar
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
Posts: 24,470
And1: 3,858
Joined: May 16, 2005
Location: Harlem, New York
       

Re: Melo playing All-NBA quality D 

Post#18 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:49 pm

While I'm impressed with Melo's defense as well, let me offer the other side of this argument. Melo, who is a 9 year veteran, All-Star and one of the stars of the NBA's biggest stars, is NOW just starting to play defense? I mean, now that we know he CAN play defense, wtf took him so long to START playing defense?

All that said, I am glad that he has decided to play defense. I guess is doesn't hurt to have three other players on the team who have won NBA rings.
User avatar
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 25,774
And1: 2,441
Joined: Jun 23, 2008
         

Re: Melo playing All-NBA quality D 

Post#19 » by j4remi » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:56 pm

HawthorneWingo wrote:While I'm impressed with Melo's defense as well, let me offer the other side of this argument. Melo, who is a 9 year veteran, All-Star and one of the stars of the NBA's biggest stars, is NOW just starting to play defense? I mean, now that we know he CAN play defense, wtf took him so long to START playing defense?

All that said, I am glad that he has decided to play defense. I guess is doesn't hurt to have three other players on the team who have won NBA rings.


To answer in short...Accountability.
BAT - Hawks
Rajon Rondo/Brian Roberts/Shane Larkin
Kyle Korver/Evan Fournier
Terrence Ross/Vince Carter
Al Horford/Mike Scott/Jonas Jerebko
Brandan Wright/Jermaine O'neal

385
User avatar
frogfood
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,248
And1: 886
Joined: Nov 17, 2005
Location: the spice mines of kessel
     

Re: Melo playing All-NBA quality D 

Post#20 » by frogfood » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:58 pm

j4remi wrote:
HawthorneWingo wrote:While I'm impressed with Melo's defense as well, let me offer the other side of this argument. Melo, who is a 9 year veteran, All-Star and one of the stars of the NBA's biggest stars, is NOW just starting to play defense? I mean, now that we know he CAN play defense, wtf took him so long to START playing defense?

All that said, I am glad that he has decided to play defense. I guess is doesn't hurt to have three other players on the team who have won NBA rings.


To answer in short...Accountability.


I would like you to expand on that if possible.

edit: VV Thanks man, appreciate the thoughtful reply.

Return to New York Knicks