ImageImageImageImageImage

Novakain......

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

knicknack
Sixth Man
And1: 213

Re: Novakain...... 

Post#21 » by knicknack » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:12 am

magnumt wrote:At times our fanbase is a joke. Yiu fools turn on a dude or team faster than a trick can turn a dime on her overused cooch. :nonono:

Give me a f'n break here. The guy keeps the OPPOSITION'S defense honest. He always commands at least one defender on him. Defenses are playing him much harder and tigther this year than last. His release is also quicker. All of that takes time.

Even guys like Reggie, Kerr, Tim (from ESPN and TNT) would hit slumps. Jodie Meeks isn't exactly lighting it up this year bro.

--Mags

As far as myself, I'm not even really talking about his recent poor shooting slump, what I'm talking about is the obvious....he is a defensive liability on the second unti, that is when teams go on their run against us. I'm saying, with this trend, every team will, if they haven't already realized this. Furthermore, its difficult to put him into games at the end when the other team can take their chances on defense and double Melo if he is not hitting his shots, so he then becomes a liability on both offense and defense, that is all. I know you can clearly see my point, if not, look for this against Houston.
knicknack
Sixth Man

Post#22 » by knicknack » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:14 am

NoLayupRule wrote:I'm pretty tired of hearing that this knick or that knick is the "worst defensive player in the league"

I've heard that about aout a dozen Knicks over the years. Strangely they are only that in ny. Lee, frye, randolph, Jamal, etc all seem to have made an explosive growth in their defensive ability just by leaving this team

Well, you just let me know when Novak gets his EXPLOSIVE GROWTH in his defensive abilities.
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,867

Post#23 » by NoLayupRule » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:18 am

knicknack wrote:
NoLayupRule wrote:I'm pretty tired of hearing that this knick or that knick is the "worst defensive player in the league"

I've heard that about aout a dozen Knicks over the years. Strangely they are only that in ny. Lee, frye, randolph, Jamal, etc all seem to have made an explosive growth in their defensive ability just by leaving this team

Well, you just let me know when Novak gets his EXPLOSIVE GROWTH in his defensive abilities.

Not all players have to be great at all things at all points in their careers. Somehow Matt Bonner seems to have a role in SA for years. Is he a better all around defender than Novak?

In truth I don't think Novak does as much damage to us on defense as you suggest anyway.

I think this is the red herring of the day.
Let's blame our 2 losses -2?- on who ... Can't be amare so lets say Melo or Novak or Felton or Woodson but someone!!!!
KnicksScholar24
RealGM
And1: 287

Post#24 » by KnicksScholar24 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:29 am

JustaKnickFan wrote:I wouldn't say he's the worst defensive player in the year. He's not great at D, but it's not as bad as it was in previous years. I think Novak is just going through a slump and is still getting used to his new fast-release shot(which i love).

If there's one other area of his game I think Novak needs to work on, it's rebounding. Knicks could really use someone who can get more some boards right now.

New fast-release shot?? I hope not. Landry Fields (who shot 39% from 3-point range his rookie year) tried to quicken his release from 3 over the summer, and now he can't throw the ball into the ocean.

I definitely hope Novak wasn't working on quickening his release. There was nothing wrong with his outside shoot to begin with.
It's hard being a Knicks fan...
FrozenInfernoZX
Junior
And1: 49

Post#25 » by FrozenInfernoZX » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:08 am

magnumt wrote:At times our fanbase is a joke. Yiu fools turn on a dude or team faster than a trick can turn a dime on her overused cooch. :nonono:

Give me a f'n break here. The guy keeps the OPPOSITION'S defense honest. He always commands at least one defender on him. Defenses are playing him much harder and tigther this year than last. His release is also quicker. All of that takes time.

Even guys like Reggie, Kerr, Tim (from ESPN and TNT) would hit slumps. Jodie Meeks isn't exactly lighting it up this year bro.

--Mags

This. A few bad games and people start saying things. I saw a poster one time saying that the Knicks should trade Novak. It's a long season consisting of 82 games. Everybody will have a slump. When Felton goes on his little slump I don't want to hear a word. The Knicks will eventually go on a little losing streak as well (then the trolls will come out rejoice and celebrate) just like another other team in the NBA would. It's a natural way of life. There is upside and then there is downside.
blueNorange wrote:i have more trust in a pedophile babysitting a kindergarten class than amar'e's knees

----------------------------------------
The Knicks need some D cause they don't get any. They are a sexually frustrated team needing the D! Where's the Defense! :lol:
21shumpshumpst
Banned User
And1: 36

Post#26 » by 21shumpshumpst » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:29 am

Novak is going through a shooting slump. All great shooters have gone through this. He will get out of it soon. Btw he is playing the same D he played last year, the only difference is that everyone else on our team is playing better D than last year. So he looks like the weak link in comparison.

His job is to spread the floor and hit 3s. Not be a defensive stopper.
knicknack
Sixth Man

Post#27 » by knicknack » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:21 am

21shumpshumpst wrote:Novak is going through a shooting slump. All great shooters have gone through this. He will get out of it soon. Btw he is playing the same D he played last year, the only difference is that everyone else on our team is playing better D than last year. So he looks like the weak link in comparison.

His job is to spread the floor and hit 3s. Not be a defensive stopper.

Your correct his job is to spread the floor and hit 3's. I agree, all great shooters have gone through this. I also agree, he is playing the same D he played last year (and every other year he's been in the NBA) but I have to ask then, if you don't play defense...ever, what difference does it make if everyone around you plays defense or better defense? None, I believe. Whether we win or lose, his defensive abilities will most likey not improve much, if at all. On the matter of defense, I am yet to be impressed with Tyson's defense as well this year, he seems a little soft to me at times, not the look for the reigning defensive champ. It's a long season, guess I'm just amped up after a fast start and I want all of our players to "beast" in every game. It's all good, no matter what, we love our knicks!
Knicksfan20
RealGM
And1: 5,759

Post#28 » by Knicksfan20 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:52 am

hes a liability if hes not draining 3 3s a game. Still like th dude tho.
msg4k90
Junior
And1: 84

Post#29 » by msg4k90 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:35 am

there are several other players who are struggling, its not the end of the world. we know novak can shoot, you just have to wait.

some players started hot from the 3 pt line like lebron james and O.j. mayo. raymond felton on 45% 3 pt, lol.

all of these numbers will start to drop. felton is a career .333 3pt shooter, he will lose his efficiency soon.
Nostrand Ave
Pro Prospect
And1: 292

Post#30 » by Nostrand Ave » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:20 am

What exactly did Novak do in this game?
lazard
Junior
And1: 21

Post#31 » by lazard » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:31 am

without Lin, Novakain is just plain Novak.
Massimo
Banned User
And1: 68

Post#32 » by Massimo » Fri Dec 7, 2012 3:43 am

So should we still get rid of him????

NOVAK!!!
GoNYK1288
Banned User
And1: 272

Post#33 » by GoNYK1288 » Fri Dec 7, 2012 3:50 am

These knee-jerk threads are hilarious to bump
Nostrand Ave
Pro Prospect
And1: 292

Post#34 » by Nostrand Ave » Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:25 am

Novak has too many games where he barely scores. Unacceptable.

You guys ok with him basically being a decoy?
Sky_Knicks
Banned User
And1: 419

Post#35 » by Sky_Knicks » Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:36 am

Nostrand Ave wrote:Novak has too many games where he barely scores. Unacceptable.

He isn't looked for enough. Any play where Novak is wide open, he needs to get the ball. There are times when hes completely ignored. And if we had better point guard penetration, he would be doing a lot better. The only guard on our team who can really penetrate the defense somewhat consistently and get into the paint is Felton. And we all know the kind of slump Felton has been in lately. A shooter who is best at set shots is largely at the mercy of his guards. And our guards are not or haven't been able to utilize him properly as of late.
munchies
Sixth Man
And1: 209

Post#36 » by munchies » Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:37 am

Nostrand Ave wrote:Novak has too many games where he barely scores. Unacceptable.

can someone bring up melos productivity when vak is on the floor?! i feel like whenever these 2 play together, melo just does as he pleases on the offensive
mrpoetryNmotion
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,118

Post#37 » by mrpoetryNmotion » Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:22 am

The guy is essentially a casualty of the poor ball movement we've had the last few games. His only job is to literally catch and shoot, or pass if he can't get a good shot. His lack of scoring is unacceptable, sure, but who/what do you attribute this to, Novak himself, or the offense at large (in recent memory)?
NoStatsGuy
Analyst
And1: 1,318

Post#38 » by NoStatsGuy » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:34 am

i mean its not like 42% from long range is bad or sth..so i guess we expect him to shoot 60% to judge his minutes? This is kind of strange
im bout dat action boss
KnickswiththeKnack
Starter
And1: 348

Post#39 » by KnickswiththeKnack » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:17 am

RottenApple wrote:i mean its not like 42% from long range is bad or sth..so i guess we expect him to shoot 60% to judge his minutes? This is kind of strange

It's down to people analyzing one part of the machine in isolation without considering how the machine works as a whole.
"...and now aaaaaaalll the Knicks with the knack" - Walt "Clyde" Frazier
NY2TheBay
General Manager
And1: 4,164

Post#40 » by NY2TheBay » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:26 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMfPJT4XjAI[/youtube]

Return to New York Knicks