ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Spike Lee rips "Django"

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

cavs4life03
Starter
And1: 782

Re: OT: Spike Lee rips "Django" 

Post#201 » by cavs4life03 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:25 pm

the kill bills were horrible movies lol inglorious bastards was ok but its not must watch. Quentins movie are only watchable when are on redbox i will not pay 10 in a movie theater to watch it.
young players + cap space + draft picks = bright future
AndroidMan
Veteran
And1: 262

Post#202 » by AndroidMan » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:22 pm

MozTheMan wrote:
AndroidMan wrote:
ShumpShump wrote:And I won't disagree except for the fact that it shouldn't be limited to white people.

Fair enough, but this thread revolves around that issue and why it's context is important here. Also, European whites and American whites are the greatest perpetrators of racial intolerance in the last few hundred years. It's all within context of this thread though.

since you are Indian, maybe you can advise me on an issue i have previously encountered. I am white guy and I have dated a number of girls whose family came over from India. While dating them there were a number of relatives I could not meet and I was told it was due to the color of my skin. Is this racism against white people or is it against all races? A religious thing maybe?

I didnt have as much trouble when dating girls of other descents.... Chinese, Japanese, Puerto rican, Cambodian, Thai, Peruvian, Dominican, African.

Most first generation Indian parents want their children marrying a partner whose not only Indian, but also from a similar region(Gujrati, Punjabi, Marathi, Madrasi, Karnatik, etc) There can also be divisions along religious lines(Hindu's, Sikh's Christians, and Muslims).

Not sure if it's directly racist, but more to do with Indian parents wanting to feel comfortable with their future in-laws. Traditional Indian marriages are not only about the individuals themselves, but are also about joining of the extended families, especially in India where homes with extended families residing in them are quite common.

In this day and age with Indians progressing, the issue becomes complex but in most instances the parents just wish for the best life for their children. They're more concerned with the qualities of the spouse to be and whether or not they come from a good family, are well educated and successful(male), are well mannered and caring(Female), and if they respect the extended family and cultural traditions as a whole.

Intermarrying amongst Indians is common, as my brother who is Punjabi is married to a Gujrati. I also attended a wedding for my cousin who is Hindu and he married a Sikh in a traditional Sikh wedding in a Gurdwara. I also know of cases where Indians have married other races and religions with parental approval. in most cases, Indian parents may have biases but will relent if they feel their child truly loves someone of good character and morals.
gamer4Life
General Manager
And1: 1,077

Post#203 » by gamer4Life » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:50 pm

White guys are the most racist with regard to not wanting "their" women marrying someone from another race. This is exemplified by the media, which is controlled by white men - you will rarely see a lead romantic role for a black man, an Asian man, or other non-white races. On the other hand, you'll often see white men hooking up with non-white women - which basically brainwashes people into thinking white men as the ideal mate.
cgmw
RealGM
And1: 9,306

Post#204 » by cgmw » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:54 pm

gamer4Life wrote:White guys are the most racist with regard to not wanting "their" women marrying someone from another race. This is exemplified by the media, which is controlled by white men - you will rarely see a lead romantic role for a black man, an Asian man, or other non-white races. On the other hand, you'll often see white men hooking up with non-white women - which basically brainwashes people into thinking white men as the ideal mate.

QFT

The board is on fire tonight. Bravo, kids. cgmw out.
"Sell the team. Sell the team. Sell the team."
TheToothFairy
Banned User
And1: 297

Post#205 » by TheToothFairy » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:05 am

gamer4Life wrote:White guys are the most racist with regard to not wanting "their" women marrying someone from another race. This is exemplified by the media, which is controlled by white men - you will rarely see a lead romantic role for a black man, an Asian man, or other non-white races. On the other hand, you'll often see white men hooking up with non-white women - which basically brainwashes people into thinking white men as the ideal mate.

Which is interesting because most of the Hollywood people are Gay
Rasho Brezec
Knicks Forum Euro Scout
And1: 18,400

Post#206 » by Rasho Brezec » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:12 am

We also worship Satan and hang around in our secret KKK clubs where we plot how to oppress non-white people over a glass of Courvoisier and some nice communist Cohibas.
boomann21
RealGM
And1: 2,777

Post#207 » by boomann21 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:14 am

Everyone is saying the Movie is great! But I always listen to Spike Lee because he cheers for the Knicks. If he told me the sky was pink like cotton candy I probably would be forced to believe.
Scorpion King
Lead Assistant
And1: 666

Post#208 » by Scorpion King » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:23 am

USA is a majority white country. So unless that changes this is how media will portray white men.
kNiCk_PriDe
Assistant Coach
And1: 86

Post#209 » by kNiCk_PriDe » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:47 am

Scorpion King wrote:

USA is a majority white country. So unless that changes this is how media will portray white men.

its more than the population... the separation in wealth is the bigger reason for this
~kNiCk PriDe~
MigrainePatrol
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#210 » by MigrainePatrol » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:59 am

This movie should be a tank at the office... Any type of hate even reverse hate or vengefulness is going to eat at you mentally and physically. Your body tissues and brains cells literally die from hate, leading to cancer etc and other health complications. Learn to juice with wholesome fruits and vegetables and block out the negativity.
MigrainePatrol
Banned User

Post#211 » by MigrainePatrol » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:09 am

@ Androidman.. I used to think that too but if you examine wealthy people in general, especially the richest mofos on the planet, they are scum of earth. They make sure their families for generations will retain wealth at the cost of everything.. Arab Sheiks, South Asian Steel Tycoons, The Shanghai Count... you better believe that these mothafawkas will starve and napalm their own people to retain the level of wealth they have while only fidgeting crumbs off their table.. Fawk these mothafawkas..
cgmw
RealGM

Post#212 » by cgmw » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:21 am

HixNixKnicksTix
Veteran
And1: 680

Post#213 » by HixNixKnicksTix » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:08 am

[quote="yaboynyp"][quote="HixNixKnicksTix"]Someone should call out Tyler Perry for perpetuating black stereotypes./quote]

Has it really happened??? by anyone credible...?

by credible i mean anyone who has a foothold in black-america.

I've been thinking it for years. It's so transparent and degrading I can't believe there isn't a movement behind getting Tyler Perry shutdown.

He loves to harp on black-americans being under-educated/being content with it, being abusive as parents, and disobedient as children. all these points are prevalent and expounded upon in every tyler perry production. Maybe i should have created a separate thread because i'm not talking about spike or django at all.
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,588

Post#214 » by Stannis » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:35 am

I just watched to movie. I really enjoyed the movie. Considering that this movie takes place during slavery, I did not find anything offensive in this movie. In my opinion, it cannot compete with his classics like Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction. As opposed to other Tarantino movies, this movie lacked those lovely long dialogues. I would say this movie is on par with Inglorious Basterds.

As far as the sub-thread, I always thought that if the slave-buyers bought their slaves “legally” or not was not the point. The children of those slaves were removed of their chances and hopes before birth, which was never fair. I had a history professor in college who tried to say the slaughter of Native Americans in South America was not the fault of Europeans because those Native Americans never fought back. He also tried to say slavery was not that bad because there many that were treated “really well”.
Free Palestine
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,050

Post#215 » by RHODEY » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:43 am

Shpati21 wrote:I just watched to movie. I really enjoyed the movie. Considering that this movie takes place during slavery, I did not find anything offensive in this movie. In my opinion, it cannot compete with his classics like Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction. As opposed to other Tarantino movies, this movie lacked those lovely long dialogues. I would say this movie is on par with Inglorious Basterds.

As far as the sub-thread, I always thought that if the slave-buyers bought their slaves “legally” or not was not the point. The children of those slaves were removed of their chances and hopes before birth, which was never fair. I had a history professor in college who tried to say the slaughter of Native Americans in South America was not the fault of Europeans because those Native Americans never fought back. He also tried to say slavery was not that bad because there many that were treated “really well”.

Yeah I had this "HIs story" professor tell me that the only noteworthy contributions blacks made to mankind were musical and that was nothing to be ashamed of :rofl:

Unfortunately back then I had no rebuttal...not that he would have acknowledged any protests coming from me as credible. Too bad "Hidden Colors" wasn't out then.
HateMyThreads
Junior
And1: 16

Post#216 » by HateMyThreads » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:25 am

j4remi wrote:Tarantino's use of the n-word has never been a problem to me. I've never thought of him as a racist, not after he created such strong black characters in Jackie Brown and Pulp Fiction (let's be honest, Jules is one of the GOAT characters period). I'd take issue if I felt his portrayal of black characters was foul, but it's not. Also, none of my Jewish friends were offended by Inglorious Basterds. I'm better the abundance of the word in this case is more to show how comfortably the word was used in the time, we're dealing with villains who are slave owners...of course they're gonna abuse the word.

All that said, I don't have a problem with someone saying that they won't watch the movie...but to pass judgement on the content without viewing it or at least reading the script a bit is plain stupid.

Exactly and the Jules character is an intellectual black gangster at that. How many movies have we seen from even black directors where this isn't the case? Then Jackie Brown he has a strong black woman as the lead role. Lets not forget he also writes these things so in his creative mind he doesn't view blacks as any less. I think he looks up to them cause he's such a fan of the 70's blaxploitation era. He mentions this along with martial arts as his 2 favorite genre's growing up. Safe to say this guy isn't all about "the white man" ... Kill Bill is basically a lot of the classic asian film genre mixed with the urban blaxploitation stuff.

Spike has a right to his opinion and maybe he knows some behind the scene stuff we just don't know. Maybe he's known a few people who have had some personal convo's with Quinton or something. The industry talks and Spike's knee deep with a lot of friends and associates. I mean I can only speculate but to me it sounds like he has a personal problem with the guy. I've seen about 3 to 4 shots thrown at this guy now from Spike. Spike for whatever reason doesn't like him. I've seen many directors out there do nothing but portray Latino's and Blacks in a stereotypical kind of way without a hair of intellectuality. Quinton is definitely not that guy .... Also I don't get how this new movie is any different from Inglorious Bastards where Jewish dudes were bashing Nazi's head in with bats. Spike says "my people went thru a holocaust" or whatever. So did the Jews .... where' was your opinion about that when Inglorious came out? I guess when it involves black people and a white guy covering it Spike has a problem oh but the jewish stuff its cool. SMH ... We are so divided as people its ridiculous. Even articulate brothers like Spike don't get it
MigrainePatrol
Banned User

Post#217 » by MigrainePatrol » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:32 pm

Tarantino is part Native American, part black, but mostly White Italian or is he? He's a cool dude that was the underdog of everything in life.. I know he went to working at a video store to screen play writer, director, producer but don't know how it happened. I'm not really a fan of his movies because of the cliche factor.

As for Spike, is he a straight up black man on or is he part Ashkenazi? I know Russell Simmons is probably part Ashkenazi but I'm not sure.. He sure talks like it.
alphad0gz
Analyst
And1: 405

Post#218 » by alphad0gz » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:07 pm

As the percentages of each race changes, so won't the percentages of each race as leading characters, or romantic leads. It's about demographics and money, not racism.

(OT) What's more disturbing to me in this thread is how so many people want to unconditionally strip wealthy people of their money. They earned it, so why shouldn't they be able to keep it? When I was working 70-80 hour weeks to get ahead, I didn't see anyone else working beside me. TBH, there is plenty of money being generated by taxes already and if you don't believe that, you are fools. The problem is that people have figured out how to game the system and the people that really need it are not the ones getting it.
cgmw
RealGM

Post#219 » by cgmw » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:47 pm

RHODEY wrote:
Shpati21 wrote:I had a history professor in college who tried to say the slaughter of Native Americans in South America was not the fault of Europeans because those Native Americans never fought back. He also tried to say slavery was not that bad because there many that were treated “really well”.

Yeah I had this "HIs story" professor tell me that the only noteworthy contributions blacks made to mankind were musical and that was nothing to be ashamed of :rofl:

Unfortunately back then I had no rebuttal...not that he would have acknowledged any protests coming from me as credible. Too bad "Hidden Colors" wasn't out then.

That's f*cking horrible, both of you. I hate hearing sh*t like that. Ignoramus jerkoffs masquerading as teachers.

On the other end of the spectrum, I once had an 82-year old (although I think maybe he was 182) Afro-Cuban professor with long white dreads who taught us texts ranging from Shakespeare to WEB DuBois to Bob Marley tell me that I should use my "powers of whiteness" for good, not evil. Probably the only thing I still remember any professor ever telling me.
ITGM
RealGM
And1: 7,893

Post#220 » by ITGM » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:26 pm

Quentin Tarantino Planned Black Soldier Revenge Massacre for 'Inglourious Basterds'

In a new interview, Tarantino said he had plans for a miniseries version of his hit World War II film, which would feature black soldiers fighting back at mistreatment in the Army.

It took Quentin Tarantino until his second revisionist historical film, Django Unchained, to tweak the oppression of black Americans, but it's a revenge plan he's long had in the works.Quentin Tarantino Says Drug War, Justice System Are Modern-Day Slavery

Why Quentin Tarantino Isn't Concerned With Violence in 'Django Unchained'
In Tarantino's first historical rewrite, Inglourious Basterds, he set a unit of Jewish soldiers off to kill Hitler in Nazi Germany. As he reveals in a new interview with the website TheRoot.com, the final film was just a fraction of what he had intended to initially be a mini-series.
Film Review: 'Django Unchained'

"My original idea for Inglourious Basterds way back when was that this [would be] a huge story that included the [smaller] story that you saw in the film, but also followed a bunch of black troops, and they had been f---ed over by the American military and kind of go ****," Tarantino explains. "They basically -- the way Lt. Aldo Raines (Brad Pitt) and the Basterds are having an 'Apache resistance' -- [the] black troops go on an Apache warpath and kill a bunch of white soldiers and white officers on a military base and are just making a warpath to Switzerland."

He still has the material, the writer/director says, which is enough to make half a film at the moment. The movie, which could still happen, would be set in 1944, after the Allied invasion of Normandy, and be tentatively called Killer Crow. While the unit of Jewish soldiers in Inglourious Basterds was fictional (though the Brits did have an official "Jewish Brigade"), the U.S. Army did have segregated units for black soldiers; in 1948, President Truman signed an order desegregating the armed forces. Spike Lee, who denounced Tarantino's slave-era Django Unchained as "disrespectful," made a film about black World War II soldiers in 2008 called Miracle at St. Anna.

Return to New York Knicks