ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Spike Lee rips "Django"

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

Sky_Knicks
Banned User
And1: 419

OT: Spike Lee rips "Django" 

Post#1 » by Sky_Knicks » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:40 pm

Spike Lee says he REFUSES to see Quentin Tarantino's new flick, "Django Unchained" when it opens tomorrow ... claiming the slavery-revenge movie is "disrespectful to my ancestors."

Lee first went off on "Django" during an interview with Vibe Magazine ... when he was asked for his thoughts on the subject matter and gave the following response:

"I can't speak on it 'cause I'm not gonna see it ... All I'm going to say is that it's disrespectful to my ancestors. That's just me ... I'm not speaking on behalf of anybody else."

He later tweeted about the movie -- "American Slavery Was Not A Sergio Leone Spaghetti Western.It Was A Holocaust.My Ancestors Are Slaves.Stolen From Africa.I Will Honor Them."

"Django" -- which stars Jamie Foxx as a slave who kills slave-owners in the Deep South -- has been drenched in controversy for weeks ... with some critics upset that the n-word is uttered more than 110 times during the movie.

Back in 1997,Lee told the media he had problem with Tarantino's "excessive use of the n-word" in the movie "Jackie Brown." Lee explained, "Let the record state that I never said that he cannot use that word -- I’ve used that word in many of my films -- but I think something is wrong with him."

Read more: http://www.tmz.com#ixzz2FznQS2t4

Thoughts ?
frogfood
Suspended
And1: 1,609

Re: OT: Spike Lee rips "Django" 

Post#2 » by frogfood » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:46 pm

I love both directors dearly. But I do feel Tarantino cheapens the word when he uses it strictly for laughs, time and time again. Take for instance, the "Dead N Storage" joke in Pulp Fiction.
Grinditout
RealGM
And1: 2,349

Post#3 » by Grinditout » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:51 pm

He hasn't even seen the movie yet to see how slavery is portrayed. Bit of an overreaction by Lee.
LinkedList
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#4 » by LinkedList » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:52 pm

Rather than being upset at Tarantino, realize that it's "disrespectful" that blacks sold other blacks to white men. It wasn't like they were "stolen" by whites, they were sold by blacks. He really needs to educate himself, man. Knowledge of history should be a minimal requirement before speaking on the subject. Idiot.
Joe Curry
Senior
And1: 77

Post#5 » by Joe Curry » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:53 pm

i never saw a Tarrentino film , is that weird ?
frogfood
Suspended

Post#6 » by frogfood » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:55 pm

if you're into film, kind of. His movies have a certain style that has been aped by many, but never duplicated imo despite his flaws. I feel Guy Ritchie would not be here today without him,
regGQ
Junior
And1: 177

Post#7 » by regGQ » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:57 pm

Joe Curry wrote:i never saw a Tarrentino film , is that weird ?

really? never seen Kill Bill?

Kill Bill 1&2 and Inglorious Basterds are must watchs

also Spike is just mad he didn't think to make it first

funny how they know the exact amount of times they used the n word, that was somebody's job to count that sht lmao
frogfood
Suspended

Post#8 » by frogfood » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:59 pm

regGQ wrote:

really? never seen Kill Bill?

Kill Bill 1&2 and Inglorious Basterds are must watchs

also Spike is just mad he didn't think to make it first

I don't think he is really~

What in his filmography would ever suggest he would want to make those type of movies?
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 19,884

Post#9 » by blueNorange » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:59 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzYOrldilP4[/youtube]
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
Marty McFly
RealGM
And1: 9,343

Post#10 » by Marty McFly » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:06 pm

He's never seen it but he's complaining about it?
Guano wrote:Fourni3r forgetting he has Bob cousy handles

Woodsanity wrote:Imagine trusting a team with World B Flat on it without Lebron keeping him in check.
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#11 » by Thugger HBC » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:09 pm

Marty McFly wrote:He's never seen it but he's complaining about it?

Knicks fan mentality. :lol:

But seriously though, he's been on that tip for a while with him.

Both of them are quite similar imo.
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
-Ducky-
Starter
And1: 6

Post#12 » by -Ducky- » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:10 pm

Spike Lee is a racist. He criticized Clint Eastwood, for not having enough black actors in his movies.
Scorpion King
Lead Assistant
And1: 666

Post#13 » by Scorpion King » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:30 pm

-Ducky- wrote:Spike Lee is a racist. He criticized Clint Eastwood, for not having enough black actors in his movies.

Him and Stephen A are long lost brothers :lol:
DE FENSE
RealGM
And1: 2,612

Post#14 » by DE FENSE » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:31 pm

I don't care about Spike's opinion, but I am worried about this movie. It just doesn't look very good, and I'm a big Tarantino fan... I hope I'm wrong.
kane
Head Coach
And1: 2,342

Post#15 » by kane » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:35 pm

so he didn't even see the movie yet and is offended and feels the right to comment on it? well im going to do the same thing and not read his quote and say sit down and STFU little man
Rasho Brezec
Knicks Forum Euro Scout
And1: 18,400

Post#16 » by Rasho Brezec » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:36 pm

If Spike Lee refused to see any movie that was better than his movies, Spike Lee would only watch Spike Lee movies.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,435

Post#17 » by j4remi » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:40 pm

Tarantino's use of the n-word has never been a problem to me. I've never thought of him as a racist, not after he created such strong black characters in Jackie Brown and Pulp Fiction (let's be honest, Jules is one of the GOAT characters period). I'd take issue if I felt his portrayal of black characters was foul, but it's not. Also, none of my Jewish friends were offended by Inglorious Basterds. I'm better the abundance of the word in this case is more to show how comfortably the word was used in the time, we're dealing with villains who are slave owners...of course they're gonna abuse the word.

All that said, I don't have a problem with someone saying that they won't watch the movie...but to pass judgement on the content without viewing it or at least reading the script a bit is plain stupid.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
biggyfuzz
Sixth Man
And1: 16

Post#18 » by biggyfuzz » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:41 pm

Spike's opinion is irrelevant....he just wants to be in the news
I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can't accept not trying.
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,059

Post#19 » by RHODEY » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:57 pm

LinkedList wrote:Rather than being upset at Tarantino, realize that it's "disrespectful" that blacks sold other blacks to white men. It wasn't like they were "stolen" by whites, they were sold by blacks. He really needs to educate himself, man. Knowledge of history should be a minimal requirement before speaking on the subject. Idiot.

They were definitely stolen initially, then some were sold as prisoners of war....

The African so-called slave "trade" was a demand-driven market out of Europe and America, not a supply-driven market out of Africa. We did not seek to sell captives to the Whites as an original act. Hollywood s favorite is showing Blacks capturing Blacks into slavery, as if this was the only way capture occurred.

[url]
http://www.reunionblackfamily.com/apps/ ... to-slavery[/url]

If the film perpetuates a rosy picture of the chattel slavery or an unrealistic "lets help this black guy kill whitey" view, I have no interest in it.
denterprise
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,021

Post#20 » by denterprise » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:03 pm

-Ducky- wrote:Spike Lee is a racist. He criticized Clint Eastwood, for not having enough black actors in his movies.

How does that make him a racist? Why is it that when a person of color points out what they perceive to be racist, they are called racist? Could it be that the true racist rather we stick to the status quo and not address issues that challenges their perception of how the world should be.

Return to New York Knicks