ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Spike Lee rips "Django"

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

the91ser
Junior
And1: 10

Re: OT: Spike Lee rips "Django" 

Post#21 » by the91ser » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:05 pm

someone should tell spike to read a history book and learn that his ancestors weren't stolen from africa. they were sold to europeans by the africans who were already enslaving them.
the knicks =/
Sprewell4Three
General Manager
And1: 4,771

Post#22 » by Sprewell4Three » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:13 pm

-Ducky- wrote:Spike Lee is a racist. He criticized Clint Eastwood, for not having enough black actors in his movies.

How does that make Spike racist though
NYK_Lampe
Rookie
And1: 60

Post#23 » by NYK_Lampe » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:16 pm

Spike is offended by another film makers work but he felt it ok to do this scene where he went out of his way to offend every group of people in the city? I loved 25th Hour and this scene but its a bit hypocritical to put something like this out and then criticize Tarrantino

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsA1t4xtLU0[/youtube]
Kenyon009 wrote:Drafted another Barfnani?
H_20
RealGM
And1: 769

Post#24 » by H_20 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:26 pm

NYK_Lampe wrote:Spike is offended by another film makers work but he felt it ok to do this scene where he went out of his way to offend every group of people in the city? I loved 25th Hour and this scene but its a bit hypocritical to put something like this out and then criticize Tarrantino

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsA1t4xtLU0[/youtube]

Great movie and a funny ass scene. :lol:
RutgersBJJ
General Manager
And1: 125

Post#25 » by RutgersBJJ » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:26 pm

denterprise wrote:
-Ducky- wrote:Spike Lee is a racist. He criticized Clint Eastwood, for not having enough black actors in his movies.

How does that make him a racist? Why is it that when a person of color points out what they perceive to be racist, they are called racist? Could it be that the true racist rather we stick to the status quo and not address issues that challenges their perception of how the world should be.

When you call out someone for making a completely accurate historical movie while also simultaneously making the most laughably pathetic, inaccurate, and racist war movie I have ever seen, chances are you are racist.

He called out Eastwood for putting no black people in Letters to Iwo Jima or Flags of our Fathers since there were hundreds of black soldiers on Iwo Jima, even though Flags of our Fathers is BASED ON A NON-FICTION BOOK ABOUT THE SIX SOLDIERS WHO RAISED THE FLAG, none of which were black and Letters is from the Japanese perspective.
RIP Jared Jeffries. Gone but never forgotten...2006-2012
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,437

Post#26 » by RHODEY » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:34 pm

RutgersBJJ wrote:
denterprise wrote:

How does that make him a racist? Why is it that when a person of color points out what they perceive to be racist, they are called racist? Could it be that the true racist rather we stick to the status quo and not address issues that challenges their perception of how the world should be.

When you call out someone for making a completely accurate historical movie while also simultaneously making the most laughably pathetic, inaccurate, and racist war movie I have ever seen, chances are you are racist.

He called out Eastwood for putting no black people in Letters to Iwo Jima or Flags of our Fathers since there were hundreds of black soldiers on Iwo Jima, even though Flags of our Fathers is BASED ON A NON-FICTION BOOK ABOUT THE SIX SOLDIERS WHO RAISED THE FLAG, none of which were black and Letters is from the Japanese perspective.

Please explain how Django is "completely accurate"? Is it an autobiography?
egelband
Rookie
And1: 374

Post#27 » by egelband » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:38 pm

i don't have an opinion since i haven't seen the movie. gonna have to see the movie, i guess. right, spike? ;)
I dunno.
H_20
RealGM
And1: 769

Post#28 » by H_20 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:43 pm

egelband wrote:i don't have an opinion since i haven't seen the movie. gonna have to see the movie, i guess. right, spike? ;)

I don't take that man seriously at all. Good director though, can't knock him.
Governor Dudley
Starter
And1: 632

Post#29 » by Governor Dudley » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:50 pm

j4remi wrote:Tarantino's use of the n-word has never been a problem to me. I've never thought of him as a racist, not after he created such strong black characters in Jackie Brown and Pulp Fiction (let's be honest, Jules is one of the GOAT characters period). I'd take issue if I felt his portrayal of black characters was foul, but it's not. Also, none of my Jewish friends were offended by Inglorious Basterds. I'm better the abundance of the word in this case is more to show how comfortably the word was used in the time, we're dealing with villains who are slave owners...of course they're gonna abuse the word.

All that said, I don't have a problem with someone saying that they won't watch the movie...but to pass judgement on the content without viewing it or at least reading the script a bit is plain stupid.

This.

Gary Oldman using it in True Romance though......offensive/hilarious

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Zardose
Sophomore
And1: 2

Post#30 » by Zardose » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:03 pm

the91ser wrote:someone should tell spike to read a history book and learn that his ancestors weren't stolen from africa. they were sold to europeans by the africans who were already enslaving them.

Right, Just like this land was "bought" from the "Native Americans" that were already here.
MR IB4TL
Senior
And1: 359

Post#31 » by MR IB4TL » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:05 pm

Tell Spike to keep his mouth shut and root for the Knicks.
the91ser
Junior

Post#32 » by the91ser » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:09 pm

Zardose wrote:
the91ser wrote:someone should tell spike to read a history book and learn that his ancestors weren't stolen from africa. they were sold to europeans by the africans who were already enslaving them.

Right, Just like this land was "bought" from the "Native Americans" that were already here.

nahhh nothing like that. that was straight genocide. i was just commenting because a lot of people have this perception that europeans like...invented slavery. and raided africa for slaves. that crap was going on for hundreds of years all over the world. it was a legit business trade at that point in history. i just didnt like the "stolen" comment.
the knicks =/
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,437

Post#33 » by RHODEY » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:14 pm

the91ser wrote:
Zardose wrote:

nahhh nothing like that. that was straight genocide. i was just commenting because a lot of people have this perception that europeans like...invented slavery. and raided africa for slaves. that crap was going on for hundreds of years all over the world. it was a legit business trade at that point in history. i just didnt like the "stolen" comment.

You do know that many many millions of africans died coming over on the slave ships..? Another "straight up" genocide.
ezmoney707
General Manager
And1: 2,727

Post#34 » by ezmoney707 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:16 pm

Smh a lot of ignorance in this thread
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,499

Post#35 » by Fat Kat » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:16 pm

Defending slavery. I've seen it all.
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
ITGM
RealGM
And1: 7,970

Post#36 » by ITGM » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:17 pm

LinkedList wrote:Rather than being upset at Tarantino, realize that it's "disrespectful" that blacks sold other blacks to white men. It wasn't like they were "stolen" by whites, they were sold by blacks. He really needs to educate himself, man. Knowledge of history should be a minimal requirement before speaking on the subject. Idiot.

You should educate yourself first!
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,871

Post#37 » by NoLayupRule » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:17 pm

Interesting that he wasn't offended by Tarantino's actual holocaust revenge film.

For a man who makes controversial films by design he should have better understanding of what Tarantino is up to.

In the anti Nazi film and in this film he picked the only people that no one can find sympathetic and made them the focus of his violent revenge fantasy. You can get away with any level of mayhem if you direct it at nazis or slave owners.

Spike needs perspective. He's a massive hypocrite.
Rasho Brezec
Knicks Forum Euro Scout
And1: 18,400

Post#38 » by Rasho Brezec » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:23 pm

Spike Lee built his mediocre career on racial stereotypes. We're in 21st century now and such topics take a backseat to issues that are more important and transcend predefined notions such as race. These are just pathetic attention seeking stunts by a man who lacks creativity to stay relevant.
the91ser
Junior

Post#39 » by the91ser » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:31 pm

i hope no one thinks im defending slavery hahah. im just saying spike is misinformed thinking that slaves were stolen from africa by euros. they were sold by other africans. its not an opinion either, thats what happened.
the knicks =/
AndroidMan
Veteran
And1: 262

Post#40 » by AndroidMan » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:33 pm

ezmoney707 wrote:Smh a lot of ignorance in this thread

Agreed, this thread is atrocious. I believe some guy wants black people to absolve European whites in the slave trade, as if Euro whites didn't play a major role in the slave trade. Deplorable, but I really don't expect anything better from this country. Blacks and other minorities are told to shut up and accept what happened to them. Really just disrespectful rhetoric and whites act like they're angelic.

You even see the issue in regular joe white guy. Me Being of Indian decent, I may casually talk with other white people who feel they can confide in me with their racist viewpoints. Things like all blacks are just welfare recipients and they're the cause of all the country's problems. Just straight racism, but they think that since I'm brown skinned my views would align with theirs, which they don't and never will. White people are racist and will continue to be so.

Return to New York Knicks