ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Spike Lee rips "Django"

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

StutterStep
RealGM
And1: 58

Re: OT: Spike Lee rips "Django" 

Post#221 » by StutterStep » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:07 pm

^That interview is a major reason QT and those of his mindset need to stop. People often find the easiest entry point into another culture and use that as the only lens to view that culture.

So, after all his years on Earth/America, QT's only care/knowledge about Black people is Blaxploitation flicks and Slavery? He really needs to go sit down somewhere, because we're definitely not who he thinks we are.
MigrainePatrol
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#222 » by MigrainePatrol » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:50 am

StutterStep wrote:^That interview is a major reason QT and those of his mindset need to stop. People often find the easiest entry point into another culture and use that as the only lens to view that culture.

So, after all his years on Earth/America, QT's only care/knowledge about Black people is Blaxploitation flicks and Slavery? He really needs to go sit down somewhere, because we're definitely not who he thinks we are.

Most often than not blaxploitation and slavery are a humiliation and embarassment. Every time I see somebody try to do the Snoop pimp talk or break a move with a basketball infront of black people or who they perceive to be rather than treat them at a neutral standpoint as they do their white, hispanic, and asian colleagues it makes me cringe.. The perpetrator seems to think it's diversifying themselves but what's even worse is if the victim actually thinks it's okay. I'm an observer and as much as I would like to chill, I see everything at it is. I mean everything...
duetta
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,313

Post#223 » by duetta » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:01 am

MIcheal Eric Dyson likes the film, as does Dr. James Peterson (Dyson is sitting in for Ed Schutz on MSNBC tonight).
Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Post#224 » by Greenie » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:10 am

HixNixKnicksTix wrote:Someone should call out Tyler Perry for perpetuating black stereotypes.

I'm going to see Django at 1:50 today.

Spike already did.......
MigrainePatrol
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#225 » by MigrainePatrol » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:13 am

cgmw wrote:Image

My point was there's alot of really bad people out there and if you judge on an individual basis it's makes it that much more clear.
StutterStep
RealGM

Post#226 » by StutterStep » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:26 am

duetta wrote:MIcheal Eric Dyson likes the film, as does Dr. James Peterson (Dyson is sitting in for Ed Schutz on MSNBC tonight).

I don't think Spike or anyone here debating his position has stated the movie would be bad, etc...The context is that Spike feels the genre and context being used is insulting to himself.

I wouldn't say that it's insulting to me. I'm more of the mindset that the viewing public is quick to support "one of their own" while ignoring other films of the same subject matter done by Black fillmmakers. Because of that I'm less likely to go see that QT film.
duetta
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,313

Post#227 » by duetta » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:06 am

StutterStep wrote:I don't think Spike or anyone here debating his position has stated the movie would be bad, etc...The context is that Spike feels the genre and context being used is insulting to himself.

I wouldn't say that it's insulting to me. I'm more of the mindset that the viewing public is quick to support "one of their own" while ignoring other films of the same subject matter done by Black fillmmakers. Because of that I'm less likely to go see that QT film.

I'm actually not taking sides here - since the few movies of Tarentino I've seen (Kill Bill, Inglorious Bastards) have not done much for me. I'm just posting what I've come across.
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,281

Post#228 » by RHODEY » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:10 am

Vertical Limit wrote:Please... Tarantino has always been uncensored in all his movies, he's pretty much earned the right to say what ever curse word he wants. Pulp Fiction is one of my favorite movies and the "Dead **** Storage" part he did in Pulp Fiction was hilarious.

Tariq talked about dudes who get off on racial slurs...

Tariq Nasheed's Review Of "Django Unchained"

http://archive.org/download/MackLessons ... ons368.mp3
StutterStep
RealGM

Post#229 » by StutterStep » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:12 am

duetta wrote:
I'm actually not taking sides here - since the few movies of Tarentino I've seen (Kill Bill, Inglorious Bastards) have not done much for me. I'm just posting what I've come across.

Oh, I know.
Rasho Brezec
Knicks Forum Euro Scout
And1: 18,400

Post#230 » by Rasho Brezec » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:52 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeTa8IazIH0[/youtube]

Spike Lee probably broke his TV here.
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,128

Post#231 » by Fat Kat » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:45 pm

Rasho Brezec wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeTa8IazIH0[/youtube]

Chuck is an Alabama Uncle Tom in every facet if his life. I'm sure Spike nor anyone else is surprised by anything that comes out of his illiterate pie hole.
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,128

Post#232 » by Fat Kat » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:28 pm

Now Tarantino is the recipient of the other raised eyebrow.
The fearless — some might say reckless — director says that Alex Haley’s “Roots” is “inauthentic.”
Yes, clutch your pearls and grab the smelling salts. “Roots,” that Black cultural touchstone that makes White Americans glance at their Black comrades with trepidation after BET plays it on repeat over the holidays, has been deemed “inauthentic” by white as the driven snow Tarantino.

“When you look at Roots, nothing about it rings true in the storytelling, and none of the performances ring true for me either,” said Tarantino. “I didn’t see it when it first came on, but when I did I couldn’t get over how oversimplified they made everything about that time. It didn’t move me because it claimed to be something it wasn’t.”

http://t.newsone.com/newsone/#!/entry/q ... 70c7df92/3
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
MassDaIllest
Junior
And1: 17

Post#233 » by MassDaIllest » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:46 pm

-Ducky- wrote:Spike Lee is a racist. He criticized Clint Eastwood, for not having enough black actors in his movies.

How does that make him racist? If Spielberg criticized Spike for not having enough White actors in his films, does that make Spielberg Racist?

Man, please be Quiet.
Lebron James: Averaged 17ppg on 35% shooting w/ Home Court Advantage in the Finals...And Lost.

Not on the same PLANET as MJ.
MassDaIllest
Junior
And1: 17

Post#234 » by MassDaIllest » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:46 pm

Fat Kat wrote:
Rasho Brezec wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeTa8IazIH0[/youtube]

Chuck is an Alabama Uncle Tom in every facet if his life. I'm sure Spike nor anyone else is surprised by anything that comes out of his illiterate pie hole.

Word.
Lebron James: Averaged 17ppg on 35% shooting w/ Home Court Advantage in the Finals...And Lost.

Not on the same PLANET as MJ.
OminousEther
Pro Prospect
And1: 36

Post#235 » by OminousEther » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:34 pm

Loved Django Unchained. Spike Lee can kick rocks :lol:
yaboynyp
Assistant Coach
And1: 206

Post#236 » by yaboynyp » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:31 pm

HixNixKnicksTix wrote:
yaboynyp wrote:
HixNixKnicksTix wrote:Someone should call out Tyler Perry for perpetuating black stereotypes./quote]

Has it really happened??? by anyone credible...?

by credible i mean anyone who has a foothold in black-america.

I've been thinking it for years. It's so transparent and degrading I can't believe there isn't a movement behind getting Tyler Perry shutdown.

He loves to harp on black-americans being under-educated/being content with it, being abusive as parents, and disobedient as children. all these points are prevalent and expounded upon in every tyler perry production. Maybe i should have created a separate thread because i'm not talking about spike or django at all.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/toure-trashes-tyler-perry’s-movies-‘cinematic-malt-liquor-for-the-masses’/

http://www.thenation.com/article/tyler- ... er-problem

http://madamenoire.com/110535/hating-ty ... ligentsia/
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 19,917

Post#237 » by blueNorange » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:15 pm

ashy larry has something to say

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/2 ... 77190.html

"You don't like nobody's movies!" Rawlings said.

He joked, "I don't know if people know who you are. No disrespect, Spike, but I asked a guy if he knew Spike Lee, and he said, "That's the little guy who plays for the New York Knicks."

:rofl:
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
Marty McFly
RealGM
And1: 9,343

Post#238 » by Marty McFly » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:38 pm

it was an okay film.
Guano wrote:Fourni3r forgetting he has Bob cousy handles

Woodsanity wrote:Imagine trusting a team with World B Flat on it without Lebron keeping him in check.
Rasho Brezec
Knicks Forum Euro Scout
And1: 18,400

Post#239 » by Rasho Brezec » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:44 pm

blueNorange wrote:ashy larry has something to say

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/2 ... 77190.html

"You don't like nobody's movies!" Rawlings said.

He joked, "I don't know if people know who you are. No disrespect, Spike, but I asked a guy if he knew Spike Lee, and he said, "That's the little guy who plays for the New York Knicks."

:rofl:

That was hilarious.
SaveUsKP6
Sixth Man
And1: 550

Post#240 » by SaveUsKP6 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:56 am

Just got back from the theatre. Django was better than any Spike Lee movie, hands down.

Return to New York Knicks