ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Spike Lee rips "Django"

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,537

Re: OT: Spike Lee rips "Django" 

Post#81 » by ComboGuardCity » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:36 am

Why are you guys pointing fingers when it comes to an issue that doesn't effect any of you. None of us were African Slaves. Live in the present and not in the past. Enjoy the movie for what it is: entertainment.
LinkedList
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#82 » by LinkedList » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:37 am

Too much victim-mentality in this thread and in real-life. Just put your head down, work hard, and achieve your dreams rather than expecting to have them given to you. Nothing is more laughable than "reparations". Reparations for what? You never experienced slavery!
SaveUsKP6
Sixth Man
And1: 550

Post#83 » by SaveUsKP6 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:48 am

There are some unbelievably ignorant people here, some of you make Spike look good and that takes some serious work. I've read some of the dumbest comments I've ever read in this thread. Moron of the year goes to the guy who said white people are racist because he's Indian and white people talk about black people to him. So you're basing your opinion of an entire race on a small sample size? Gee that sounds... RACIST. What a fool.
StutterStep
RealGM
And1: 58

Post#84 » by StutterStep » Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:25 am

Of all you people anticipating the release of Django Unchained, how many of you saw Rosewood by John Singleton?

Seriously, until you support Black filmmakers' take on Slavery, Racism and issues that affect us directly, KINDLY STFU when a Black wo/man states how they feel when a person of another race tries to tell our story for us.
born 2 expire
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#85 » by born 2 expire » Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:26 am

it's funny, both spike lee and quentin tarantino are very obviously highly influenced by martin scorsese. they've also been accused of being racist because sometimes characters in their films say bad words or are portrayed in a certain way that may be stereotypical. you'd think that with their similar sensibilities they could get along
Jim Dolan
Starter
And1: 470

Post#86 » by Jim Dolan » Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:27 am

I'm no fan of Tarantino or his recent flick, but i have to say what this all boils down to is Spikes insecurity as a director.

If Spike was as successful as guys like Eastwood and Tarantino in films (i'm pretty sure Spike's last movie bombed) he wouldnt have so much free time criticizing other people's work.

Movies are art. So are video games and Shakespeare. They are supposed to be offensive in different ways, otherwise why would we care. Spike feels offended and he has the right to be. So what?

Hey Spike, try making better movies so people will pay attention to what YOU do.
AndroidMan
Veteran
And1: 262

Post#87 » by AndroidMan » Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:28 am

Loisl wrote:
AndroidMan wrote:Agreed, this thread is atrocious. I believe some guy wants black people to absolve European whites in the slave trade, as if Euro whites didn't play a major role in the slave trade. Deplorable, but I really don't expect anything better from this country. Blacks and other minorities are told to shut up and accept what happened to them. Really just disrespectful rhetoric and whites act like they're angelic.

You even see the issue in regular joe white guy. Me Being of Indian decent, I may casually talk with other white people who feel they can confide in me with their racist viewpoints. Things like all blacks are just welfare recipients and they're the cause of all the country's problems. Just straight racism, but they think that since I'm brown skinned my views would align with theirs, which they don't and never will. White people are racist and will continue to be so.

Sorry Dude, but WTF is wrong with you? You have a right to be upset, but your statements are inacceptable. Right now, you are acting as racist as the people that you have surrounded yourself with. You might want to rethink your social dealings, instead of blaming the "bad" white people. The world isn't black or white, ironically.

Nothing is wrong with me. I don't hate white people and some of my closest friends are white. The people I surround myself are not racist either. On the other hand, history has demonstrated that the white race has caused racial atrocities. White people might not be the only racists on earth, but they are damn sure the best at it. And I would say that to my closest white friends, who would be naturally defensive with my labeling but they would understand my viewpoints and likely agree. Calling spade a spade is not racist.
AndroidMan
Veteran

Post#88 » by AndroidMan » Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:30 am

ComboGuardCity wrote:Why are you guys pointing fingers when it comes to an issue that doesn't effect any of you. None of us were African Slaves. Live in the present and not in the past. Enjoy the movie for what it is: entertainment.

Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it. Historical context is not irrelevant and is very much a part of this discussion.
LinkedList
Banned User

Post#89 » by LinkedList » Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:30 am

StutterStep wrote:Of all you people anticipating the release of Django Unchained, how many of you saw Rosewood by John Singleton?

Seriously, until you support Black filmmakers' take on Slavery, Racism and issues that affect us directly, KINDLY STFU when a Black wo/man states how they feel when a person of another race tries to tell our story for us.

Yeah, because there's no way there would be any exaggeration if a black filmmaker made a film. :lol: Get real! They are ALL out there to make money. Some are just better filmmakers who bring in more money but also have envious fellow filmmakers call them out. :lol:
StutterStep
RealGM

Post#90 » by StutterStep » Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:32 am

LinkedList wrote:
StutterStep wrote:Of all you people anticipating the release of Django Unchained, how many of you saw Rosewood by John Singleton?

Yeah, because there's no way there would be any exaggeration if a black filmmaker made a film. :lol: Get real! They are ALL out there to make money. Some are just better filmmakers who bring in more money but also have envious fellow filmmakers call them out. :lol:

You missed the whole point and I don't believe you have the mental fortitude to even comprehend what I'm referencing.
AndroidMan
Veteran

Post#91 » by AndroidMan » Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:35 am

ShumpShump wrote:There are some unbelievably ignorant people here, some of you make Spike look good and that takes some serious work. I've read some of the dumbest comments I've ever read in this thread. Moron of the year goes to the guy who said white people are racist because he's Indian and white people talk about black people to him. So you're basing your opinion of an entire race on a small sample size? Gee that sounds... RACIST. What a fool.

Not a small sample size and history validates my belief. I talk to many average white joe's and a lot of the time they will divulge their racist inner thoughts to me. For what reason, I don't know, but they do. Once again, history validates my viewpoints. Calling a spade a spade is not racist. it's just a fact. White people have shown to be extremely racist if you look at world history. Things haven't gotten that much better either.
sebstar
Sophomore
And1: 2

Post#92 » by sebstar » Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:37 am

Grinditout wrote:I'm curious if Spike has ever commented on comedians making light of slavery, or would this be the first time he has?

I'm reminded of Dave Chapelle skits with slavery in them and if it is reasonable to compare that to this particular movie. Why no outrage back then?

If you knew anything about Spike Lee, you wouldnt ask such a ridiculous question.

You're somehow trying to suggest that Spike only reserves criticism for caucasians because of his "racism", and refrains from criticizing Blacks. You couldnt be further from reality. Spike has been a frequent critic of hip hop music, and other black directors and their respective content, but again any Black man who is socially conscious is considered a public enemy of white conservatives so I understand why you're so uptight here.
LinkedList
Banned User

Post#93 » by LinkedList » Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:53 am

StutterStep wrote:
LinkedList wrote:

You missed the whole point and I don't believe you have the mental fortitude to even comprehend what I'm referencing.

I don't know, man, it just seems like unless a black man does it, you'll dismiss it as "not representing history appropriately". On the other hand, because a black man did it, it'll more closely resemble your (IMO narrow) view of "accurate representation".

BTW, my mental fortitude is just fine. I work as a System Architect using Java for one of the largest banks in the U.S. and make enough money to retire soundly by age 50. Does that sound like someone with a lack of mental fortitude, say like someone who lives their entire life in the ghetto without making any changes and expecting different results? Come on, son! Yes, I lived in crime-ridden areas in Chi-town for part of my teenage life (Humboldt Park).
munchies
Sixth Man
And1: 209

Post#94 » by munchies » Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:53 am

this world is not about black or white, its all about the green... you're either rich or not. nobody cares about color your skin any more. they care how many digits occupy your bank account. the constant rubbish about racism is for rich to distract us the not rich ones from tackling the most important issue which is the disappearance of middle class.

wealthy pay the rich to tell the middle class that poor are the problem of this country
AndroidMan
Veteran

Post#95 » by AndroidMan » Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:59 am

munchies wrote:this world is not about black or white, its all about the green... you're either rich or not. nobody cares about color your skin any more.....

wealthy pay the rich to tell the middle class that poor are the problem of this country

While this may be very true. Racism will still prevail at the sub conscious level. People will still find ways to hate you if you are different and outside of what they are uncomfortable with.

But your viewpoint is valid. I remember Carlin said something along those lines. The gov't want subservient workers that are docile and easy to control. Found it

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko35qhKnRXs[/youtube]
StutterStep
RealGM

Post#96 » by StutterStep » Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:06 am

LinkedList wrote:
I don't know, man, it just seems like unless a black man does it, you'll dismiss it as "not representing history appropriately". On the other hand, because a black man did it, it'll more closely resemble your (IMO narrow) view of "accurate representation".

BTW, my mental fortitude is just fine. I work as a System Architect using Java for one of the largest banks in the U.S. and make enough money to retire soundly by age 50. Does that sound like someone with a lack of mental fortitude, say like someone who lives their entire life in the ghetto without making any changes and expecting different results? Come on, son! Yes, I lived in crime-ridden areas in Chi-town for part of my teenage life (Humboldt Park).

Where does the bold come in?

Did you see Rosewood?

Do you plan to go see Django Unchained?

Start from there...and then go reference Cultural appropriation...perhaps from there we can have a discussion on Spike's comments and its relevance.
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,537

Post#97 » by ComboGuardCity » Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:12 am

AndroidMan wrote:
ShumpShump wrote:There are some unbelievably ignorant people here, some of you make Spike look good and that takes some serious work. I've read some of the dumbest comments I've ever read in this thread. Moron of the year goes to the guy who said white people are racist because he's Indian and white people talk about black people to him. So you're basing your opinion of an entire race on a small sample size? Gee that sounds... RACIST. What a fool.

Not a small sample size and history validates my belief. I talk to many average white joe's and a lot of the time they will divulge their racist inner thoughts to me. For what reason, I don't know, but they do. Once again, history validates my viewpoints. Calling a spade a spade is not racist. it's just a fact. White people have shown to be extremely racist if you look at world history. Things haven't gotten that much better either.

Dude I value your opinion on cell phones, but as someone who is half black and thinks the race card is played all too often STFU.
SaveUsKP6
Sixth Man
And1: 550

Post#98 » by SaveUsKP6 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:16 am

AndroidMan wrote:

You are a real gem. And you don't even realize you're doing it. That's best part. It's not worth continuing this with you, I'll just sit my non-racist white ass back and laugh at you like everyone else.
JDs_loot
Banned User
And1: 18

Post#99 » by JDs_loot » Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:17 am

Spike Lee is mad because Tarantino is rewriting history, similar to what he did with Inglorious Bastards. I don't normally agree with Lee, I think he's a moron, but over here I think he has a point.
AndroidMan
Veteran

Post#100 » by AndroidMan » Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:20 am

ComboGuardCity wrote:
AndroidMan wrote:

Dude I value your opinion on cell phones, but as someone who is half black and thinks the race card is played all too often STFU.

I guess any pleasantries between us have thus been erased. I suppose you may STFU as well.

Return to New York Knicks