ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Spike Lee rips "Django"

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Nanogeek
Banned User
And1: 130

Re: OT: Spike Lee rips "Django" 

Post#181 » by Nanogeek » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:22 pm

At risk of stating the obvious, how can Spike Lee judge the film without seeing it?
cgmw
RealGM
And1: 9,540

Post#182 » by cgmw » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:46 pm

Rasho Brezec wrote:
cgmw wrote:I haven't read through this thread at all, but I wonder if people pointed out that Inglorious Basterds was basically a Spaghetti Western of the Holocaust. Personally, I don't really give a f*ck but I could see how some Jews would be turned off.

Spike's point of view is perfectly valid IMO. He's right. On the other hand, so is a guy who just likes to show up to a movie and be entertained for ten bucks.

I'm not a fan of Tarantino and I don't use this word lightly when it comes to motion pictures, but his movies are art. His past body of work proves that. And art should never, ever be censored by close-minded people and political correctness.

Not sure where censorship came in, but we also live in a free market where nobody can force you, me, or Spike Lee to see a movie we find offensive. Spike has every right to say what he wants, but no right or ability to censor.

You can sh*t on a paper plate and call it art. Question is, how do people receive it? Does it enrich their lives and move them? Or does it offed them and stink like sh*t?

IMO Tarantino is the high-level master of the low-level action flick. Personally, the theme of vengeance isn't that interesting. Certainly not so much to need a dozen movies of exploration. But watching a good story well done and rife with violence and crude jokes? Yes please.

Spike is insulting Tarantino's "art" by saying it insults slavery. I don't disagree, but I also don't think 99% of people give a sh*t. Not for nothing, but if you could use a time machine to show this movie to freed slaves, do you think they would share Spike's disdain for the trivialization of theor plight or do you think they'd happily lose themselves in two hours of a chintzy freed-slave vengence flick? Either way, it still doesn't invalidate Spike's point.
"Sell the team. Sell the team. Sell the team."
KNIXFAN_83
Analyst
And1: 1,320

Post#183 » by KNIXFAN_83 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:56 pm

It just amazes still how the mass is ignorant to the African Americans struggles in this country. But if a black man sensationlized a film about the holocaust (which was an event that didn't happen in America mind you) the film would not be heavily critcized and you wouldn't even know when it was coming out. It like Paul Mooney "EVERYBODY WANTS TO BE A NWORD BUT BUT NO ONE WANTS TO BE A NWORD". Figure it out.
KNIXFAN_83
Analyst

Post#184 » by KNIXFAN_83 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:58 pm

AggO wrote:Have any of you seen spikes' bamboozled?

CLASSIC!
KNIXFAN_83
Analyst

Post#185 » by KNIXFAN_83 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:25 pm

Ron Mexico wrote:
NYK_Lampe wrote:Spike is offended by another film makers work but he felt it ok to do this scene where he went out of his way to offend every group of people in the city? I loved 25th Hour and this scene but its a bit hypocritical to put something like this out and then criticize Tarrantino

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsA1t4xtLU0[/youtube]

how does spike lee dropping equal opportunity hate compare to someone whose perceived ignorance seems to be pointed at one group?

That scene is ont the greatest scenes in modern film history! The mirror telling him to blame everyone but in the end he only had himself to blame. TOO DEEP!
SaveUsKP6
Sixth Man
And1: 550

Post#186 » by SaveUsKP6 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:20 pm

Nothing Spike Lee has ever done is the greatest anything in modern film history.
KNIXFAN_83
Analyst

Post#187 » by KNIXFAN_83 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:30 pm

ShumpShump wrote:Nothing Spike Lee has ever done is the greatest anything in modern film history.

Do the Right Thing is arguably the greatest film on modern day race and relations of all times. And Malcolm X was also a classic. You can not like Spike's opinions. But the man is a genius.
HixNixKnicksTix
Veteran
And1: 680

Post#188 » by HixNixKnicksTix » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:45 pm

Someone should call out Tyler Perry for perpetuating black stereotypes.

I'm going to see Django at 1:50 today.
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Post#189 » by ComboGuardCity » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:54 pm

StutterStep wrote:
ComboGuardCity wrote:Have you personally had to battle? I haven't gone through any extreme strife because of my skin color. Racism still exists, I know that, but I dont think its as rampant as this portrays it to be.

Civil rights and slavery are not the same thing either.

I'm not sure if the Bold is a serious question. If it is, of course I've had to -- directly and indirectly.

I'm not sure where you live and how you associate but you sound like you live in a bubble.

Of course civil rights and slavery are not the same thing -- you fight to gain the former, and to rid the latter.

I live in the real world where I'm not peaking around every corner waiting for something bad to happen because of the color of my skin. It makes absolutely no sense. I've spent quite a bit of time in the south and yeah its different down there. You know a lot of people are not very accepting. However, on the East Coast, West Coast, midwest, I have never experienced something major that I could do nothing about because of my race. Maybe you're the one living in your self imposed bubble. Get over it.
cgmw
RealGM
And1: 9,540

Post#190 » by cgmw » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:55 pm

ShumpShump wrote:Nothing Spike Lee has ever done is the greatest anything in modern film history.

Like it or not, he's the preeminent African American filmmaker of not just our time, but all time. When he comments on the use of slavery in a contemporary white filmaker's movie, people take note.

It was pretty ironic to hear Spike's white character say, "Slavery was 138 years ago. Get over it!" in the 25th Hour clip above. Ironic because Spike probably feels that's what Tatantino is saying with Django.

Personally, I think storytelling is important, and the redeaming value of a well-told story outweighs the demeaning value of a kitschy vengeance fantasy set in slavery. That said, a similarly crude story set in Irene, Katrina, or 911 would likely be "too soon."

I don't personally agree with Spike, but I love that somebody said it. IMO America needs more dialogue about race in a post-Obama world. It's guys like Tarantino and Lee that help society get a handle on bigger issues like race. We need this conflict to help hash out our own thoughts.
"Sell the team. Sell the team. Sell the team."
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 91,031

Post#191 » by Capn'O » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:45 pm

StutterStep wrote:
Capn'O wrote:But that's QT for you - and I say this as a JEWISH American. He's not interested in the victims. He's interested in what pushes normal people to commit atrocities. It's a fundamentally different role from what a guy like Lee does. The viewing of the victims as stereotypes is essential to his commentary.

My issue with QT is not everyone is as smart as he is... not everyone sees what he tries to do and his films often end up propping up the very institutions and facets of human nature that he is criticizing.

Am I misreading this?

If I'm not you're stating QT is essentially taking the Nazi side in Inglorious Basterds?

Nono - I was responding mostly to the paragraph talking about how he humanized the German characters more than the Bastards. It's sort of his schtick. It's a little trick he does to highlight human/cultural bloodlust.There are a number of artistic/cultural commentary reasons he makes decisions like this. He asks the public at what point is this excessive violence acceptable. Not the least of his motives being that repeatedly asking this question sells movies. The question never gets old.

Didn't see either movie but to me it looks like he keeps rewriting "Natural Born Killers" with different races thrown in. LOL @ Spike inadvertently giving him probably the biggest advertisement he could get.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
seren
RealGM
And1: 4,207

Post#192 » by seren » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:51 pm

I believe Basterds did pretty well in Israel.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 91,031

Post#193 » by Capn'O » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:53 pm

cgmw wrote:Personally, the theme of vengeance isn't that interesting. Certainly not so much to need a dozen movies of exploration. But watching a good story well done and rife with violence and crude jokes? Yes please.

Well, apparently it does as he keeps selling out the same damn movie. I'll add, that his sets are some of the best in the biz.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
NyKnicks1714
RealGM
And1: 24,432

Post#194 » by NyKnicks1714 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:43 pm

This must be awkward for Samuel L. Jackson.
StephNYKurry
General Manager
And1: 2,198

Post#195 » by StephNYKurry » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:55 pm

NyKnicks1714 wrote:This must be awkward for Samuel L. Jackson.

lol the two guys who essentially made him what he is
What do I care...it's rigged anyway
yaboynyp
Assistant Coach
And1: 206

Post#196 » by yaboynyp » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:02 pm

HixNixKnicksTix wrote:Someone should call out Tyler Perry for perpetuating black stereotypes.

I'm going to see Django at 1:50 today.

Definitely Has happened...
yaboynyp
Assistant Coach
And1: 206

Post#197 » by yaboynyp » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:07 pm

-Ducky- wrote:Spike Lee is a racist. He criticized Clint Eastwood, for not having enough black actors in his movies.

Yep that definitely makes him racist…
Kampuchea
RealGM
And1: 8,212

Post#198 » by Kampuchea » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:23 pm

AndroidMan wrote:
ShumpShump wrote:And I won't disagree except for the fact that it shouldn't be limited to white people.

Fair enough, but this thread revolves around that issue and why it's context is important here. Also, European whites and American whites are the greatest perpetrators of racial intolerance in the last few hundred years. It's all within context of this thread though.

since you are Indian, maybe you can advise me on an issue i have previously encountered. I am white guy and I have dated a number of girls whose family came over from India. While dating them there were a number of relatives I could not meet and I was told it was due to the color of my skin. Is this racism against white people or is it against all races? A religious thing maybe?

I didnt have as much trouble when dating girls of other descents.... Chinese, Japanese, Puerto rican, Cambodian, Thai, Peruvian, Dominican, African.
Grinditout
RealGM
And1: 2,368

Post#199 » by Grinditout » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:15 pm

MozTheMan wrote:
AndroidMan wrote:
ShumpShump wrote:And I won't disagree except for the fact that it shouldn't be limited to white people.

Fair enough, but this thread revolves around that issue and why it's context is important here. Also, European whites and American whites are the greatest perpetrators of racial intolerance in the last few hundred years. It's all within context of this thread though.

I didnt have as much trouble when dating girls of other descents.... Chinese, Japanese, Puerto rican, Cambodian, Thai, Peruvian, Dominican, African.

Damn, seems like you've been "well traveled". Props to you sir.
frogfood
Suspended
And1: 1,609

Post#200 » by frogfood » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:17 pm

MozTheMan wrote:
AndroidMan wrote:

since you are Indian, maybe you can advise me on an issue i have previously encountered. I am white guy and I have dated a number of girls whose family came over from India. While dating them there were a number of relatives I could not meet and I was told it was due to the color of my skin. Is this racism against white people or is it against all races? A religious thing maybe?

There is no such thing as reverse racism.

Return to New York Knicks