ImageImageImageImageImage

Until further notice The Knicks are soft.

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,287

Re: Until further notice The Knicks are soft. 

Post#21 » by RHODEY » Tue Jan 8, 2013 5:46 am

blumatic wrote:Im not trolling. I think the Knicks are a very good team. But we are losing games at a much faster rate than before. We started out the season 18-6. We are 5-5 in our last ten. We allow another 100pts tonight. Another high % shooting by the opponent.

If we would have beaten Chicago and the Blazers this game would not bother me. But the cumulative results if those 3 games and loses to teams right behind us is not good.

Our record looks good thanks to our great start but our current play is bad. How can anyone not be alarmed by this.

Knicks are good team. But their soft to date. Feel free to convince me otherwise. All Im getting is the typical STFU GTFO, stop posting stuff.

I wouldn't say we are soft but I do agree we could be tougher. I would love a skilled thug on this team. Someone like Ivan Johnson. Still with 3 of our tougher players missing (Sheed, Shump, Felton) I'm not to worried. I do agree that we need to pick it up. But Amare seems to be improving game by game and JR is looking like a borderline ALl star....
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,451

Post#22 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Jan 8, 2013 6:01 am

What about the sweep of the Spurs???

"Duh Winning"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Free Palestine
KnicksScholar24
RealGM
And1: 287

Post#23 » by KnicksScholar24 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 6:02 am

I agree with the original poster. When the Knicks face adversity playing against a good defensive team, they usually end up losing. The Spurs or Miami didn't play tough defense (play-off caliber defense) in the games vs. the Knicks, imo.

I'm hoping Iman Shumpert can come in an set a tone defensively (for the Knicks like Bradley does for the Celtics. (I have no clue how Bradley didn't foul out of last night's game by the way.) Shumpert, if healthy, can give NY a defensive identity like Tony Allen does for the Grizzlies and Avery Bradley does for the Celtics. As we have found out, Ronnie Brewer certainly isn't capable of that.

The Knicks have no identity as a defensive team. I think Shumpert can give NY that, and not for 2-3 minute stretches in the 4th quarter, but for nearly 30 minutes a game (or however long he can stay healthy).

Notice the Knicks have not been able to put together an significant win streaks together since earlier in the season when they were playing top 5 caliber defense. The Knicks are far from a championship caliber team because they are far from a championship caliber defense. I don't think Shumpert can do that on his own. Maybe Felton (perimeter D) & Wallace (interior D) along with Shumpert can do it. As long as those two aren't jacking up shots (Wallace: 3s, Felton: anything), they should be a net positive for NY. Felton also allows Kidd to move to SG where he is actually still a good defense, which he no longer is at the point.

The Knicks aren't going to do crap in the playoffs if they don't get their defense together. They remind me of the Dallas Mavericks before Chandler got there. When the 3s aren't falling and Anthony isn't hitting his shots, they'll need the ability to make it an ugly defensive slugfest. That can't happen if they are incapable of playing good team defense for 48 minutes. I'm holding out hope that Shumpert can be the missing piece, and Felton & Wallace adds defensive depth and allows Kidd to move back to SG defensively. Sadly, NY is going to have to depend a lot on a second year player coming off a knee injury because Brewer hasn't been able to play lockdown defense.
It's hard being a Knicks fan...
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#24 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Jan 8, 2013 6:02 am

People need to calm the f*ck down. Geez.

"Duh Winning"

Free Palestine
yaboynyp
Assistant Coach
And1: 206

Post#25 » by yaboynyp » Tue Jan 8, 2013 6:04 am

Not sure if serius...
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#26 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Jan 8, 2013 6:05 am

KnicksScholar24 wrote:I agree with the original poster. When the Knicks face adversity playing against a good defensive team, they usually end up losing. The Spurs or Miami didn't play tough defense (play-off caliber defense) in the games vs. the Knicks, imo.

I'm hoping Iman Shumpert can come in an set a tone defensively (for the Knicks like Bradley does for the Celtics. (I have no clue how Bradley didn't foul out of last night's game by the way.) Shumpert, if healthy, can give NY a defensive identity like Tony Allen does for the Grizzlies and Avery Bradley does for the Celtics. As we have found out, Ronnie Brewer certainly isn't capable of that.

The Knicks have no identity as a defensive team. I think Shumpert can give NY that, and not for 2-3 minute stretches in the 4th quarter, but for nearly 30 minutes a game (or however long he can stay healthy).

Notice the Knicks have not been able to put together an significant win streaks together since earlier in the season when they were playing top 5 caliber defense. The Knicks are far from a championship caliber team because they are far from a championship caliber defense. I don't think Shumpert can do that on his own. Maybe Felton (perimeter D) & Wallace (interior D) along with Shumpert can do it. As long as those two aren't jacking up shots (Wallace: 3s, Felton: anything), they should be a net positive for NY. Felton also allows Kidd to move to SG where he is actually still a good defense, which he no longer is at the point.

The Knicks aren't going to do crap in the playoffs if they don't get their defense together. They remind me of the Dallas Mavericks before Chandler got there. When the 3s aren't falling and Anthony isn't hitting his shots, they'll need the ability to make it an ugly defensive slugfest. That can't happen if they are incapable of playing good team defense for 48 minutes. I'm holding out hope that Shumpert can be the missing piece, and Felton & Wallace adds defensive depth and allows Kidd to move back to SG defensively. Sadly, NY is going to have to depend a lot on a second year player coming off a knee injury because Brewer hasn't been able to play lockdown defense.

We have played very tough defense in spurts. It's been sporadic. It'll get better. And from someone looking at the glass as half full, it's much better than what it used to be.

"Duh Winning"

Free Palestine
jamrock1975
Senior
And1: 1

Post#27 » by jamrock1975 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 6:38 am

there is actually video of anthony waiting by the celtics team bus. I just watched on sherrod blakely's twitter page. That just makes Melo look like he is soft as cookie dough. Is he for real, were there any punches thrown in the game, did I miss something. Trash talking, physical play and some elbows and this is what is the result of this. It doesn't make him look tough, it makes him look like a chump. I bet you if the knicks had won this wouldn't even had been an issue for melo. It's as if when faced with adversity he shrinks on the bball court. Has nobody else noticed this?
makeitstop
General Manager
And1: 2,274

Post#28 » by makeitstop » Tue Jan 8, 2013 6:43 am

blue and orange wrote:no one will ever become as soft as some posters on these boards

+10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

RGM, NYK - We know drama.
'Every night ending in 'Y' is a rock fight when you're playing the New York Knicks.' - World Wide Wob
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,287

Post#29 » by RHODEY » Tue Jan 8, 2013 6:44 am

KnicksScholar24 wrote:I agree with the original poster. When the Knicks face adversity playing against a good defensive team, they usually end up losing. The Spurs or Miami didn't play tough defense (play-off caliber defense) in the games vs. the Knicks, imo.

Solid post. Along with the 3 players you mentioned, we have Chandler , Camby, Brewer, JR,Kidd and even Melo. Together I think that is more than enough to re establish a defensive identity.
JoseChinga
Banned User
And1: 23

Post#30 » by JoseChinga » Tue Jan 8, 2013 7:05 am

You're soft.
OakFlagrant2
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#31 » by OakFlagrant2 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 7:28 am

Team is mentally weak, complain to the refs too much, and let opponents get under their skin too much.

They (Melo & Chandler) are racking up techs, and not even the good kind, if you gonna get a tech make it count, hit KG with a hard elbow to the ribs or kidney, smush PP in the grill while he shooting to get him out his rhythm, better yet give him a chop to the throat/addams apple, do something that mean something, not just bitching and moaning to the refs, it aint like they gonna change a call they just made.

I remember when we had Oak kicking MFer's asses in the morning shootaround, now we got prima donnas flailing their arms at the refs like bitch asses. Its sad to see

Soft as pink cashmere

Soft as wet toilet paper

disgusting
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#32 » by br7knicks » Tue Jan 8, 2013 11:45 am

blumatic wrote:This deserves its own thread

no it doesn't, ballboy
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
Sky_Knicks
Banned User
And1: 419

Post#33 » by Sky_Knicks » Tue Jan 8, 2013 11:48 am

Agree with you 100% OP.
bigfnjoe96
General Manager
And1: 3,948

Post#34 » by bigfnjoe96 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 12:03 pm

Boy this board gets highly emo when we lose a tough game.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Rasho Brezec
Knicks Forum Euro Scout
And1: 18,400

Post#35 » by Rasho Brezec » Tue Jan 8, 2013 12:06 pm

OP is right, we are soft. Whenever a team plays physical, we give up and start whining. That goes for both the players and the fans.
FKF
RealGM
And1: 925

Post#36 » by FKF » Tue Jan 8, 2013 12:08 pm

I don't agree with the original statement of this thread.

Really I don't, this is overreaction.

Layden's Knicks with Eisley-Anderson in the backcourt, and Van Horn-McDyess-Sweetney up front were soft.
Isiah's Knicks with Marbs-Crawford and Frye-Curry upfront were soft.

Today's team is not soft. If anything, they are learning to face adversity the way this franchise never did this decade. But both Kidd and Chandler are champs, Melo/JR are on a mission, Camby is not soft, he proved it in 1999 under our eyes, Amar'e is recovering and plays harder and harder every game.

Let's see how they adjust in future games.
Some of you really act like you forgot from where this team is coming from. We were a joke in last year's postseason, we used not to show up and to get embarrassed by opposition, but now we come out for these big games and we make our opponents work their asses off for their wins.
Make no mistake about it, the Celtics brought their A game to beat us last night, while they usually only needed their C game to do so. January 24 will be interesting in Boston. We can play the Celtics better there than at home, although Rondo will be stat padder on national TV.
New-York Knicks fan since 1998, based in Paris, FR.
MSG
Analyst
And1: 88

Post#37 » by MSG » Tue Jan 8, 2013 12:12 pm

I agree with the OP and it's been the case for years. Teams that play physical against us almost always walk away with a win.

Knicks need to learn how to react in such situations. So far this season they've been complaining,racking up techs,taking bad shots and eventually losing games all because they didn't know to react properly to other team playing them physical.
HEZI
RealGM
And1: 26,893

Post#38 » by HEZI » Tue Jan 8, 2013 12:19 pm

Lol There was nothing soft about them tonight. This wasn't a playoff game where each game is crucial. This was a regular season game and this wasn't about a physical game, this was about a dirty player getting away with dirty plays and when the refs let him get away with it, Melo eventually blew a fuse. This game doesn't mean jack. They didn't have Ronndo, we didn't have Felton or Shump or Shred. This game meant nothing because this is not going to happen in theplayoffs. This was one game where Melo just felt he needed to put KG in his place and expose him for the little punkthat he is. Celtics are still way back in the rearview mirror, I take a loss here anyday because we can afford to take it.
DENVER NUGGETS
Kyrie Irving/Josh Green/Dennis Schroder
Demar Derozan/Gordon Hayward/Amir Coffey
Torrey Craig/Gary Harris/Cedi Osman
Jarace Walker/Larry Nance Jr./Dominick Barlow
Xavier Tillman/Charles Bassey/Nick Richards
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#39 » by Thugger HBC » Tue Jan 8, 2013 12:26 pm

Boston played a physical game, the Knicks matched it, the game got chippy, players then took it as personal.

That's what happens in a heated game, hell these two were battling in pre-season.

The only soft thing I see is some our fanbase.

But keep whining, feel free to get it all out.
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
ORANGEandBLUE
RealGM
And1: 1,334

Post#40 » by ORANGEandBLUE » Tue Jan 8, 2013 12:30 pm

I notice that bad calls come in waves for us. We get one bad call, and our guys start playing over-aggressive defense or driving into multiple defenders, which results in a foul or no-call against us. It's almost as if our guys are TRYING to create a situation that they can blame the refs on.

Carmelo, newsflash: if you start a drive from 25 ft. out and the whole defense knows you're taking it to the rim, you're gonna get blocked and you shouldn't expect a foul call.

Return to New York Knicks