ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Alex Jones freaks out on CNN

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,396
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Re: OT: Alex Jones freaks out on CNN 

Post#421 » by E-Balla » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:35 pm

What I funds with gun laws is there is a correlation between education and gun crime but we definetly can't blame bad education for the high gun crime rate in some places...
johnnywishbone
General Manager
And1: 1,361

Post#422 » by johnnywishbone » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:42 pm

GC Pantalones wrote:Homicide rate in 2011 was 4.7. According to your map the California homicide rate is over that. Also country wide homicide is down to levels that haven't been seen since the 60s. The whole country is safer (that number also includes suicides which accounts for over half of the US gun deaths).

The map shows deaths caused by injury from guns. That includes homicide, accidental, suicide et al...
Play time is over.
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#423 » by E-Balla » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:44 pm

Ok. Seemed awfully high...
johnnywishbone
General Manager

Post#424 » by johnnywishbone » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:48 pm

GC Pantalones wrote:Ok. Seemed awfully high...

Here is the list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_violen ... s_by_state

Homicide rate in California is 2.11

Maryland has a very high homicide rate. But I believe what they'll find is that it's easy to cross state lines. So you could buy a gun in Virginia and bring it to Maryland.

You can look at my state, Hawaii. We have strict gun laws and you can't just bring guns with you on the plane. Our homicide rate is third from the bottom at 0.51.

But... there are a lot of factors that go into each state's analysis. But I think the overall trend is pretty clear. I also heard an argument that the reason the South has such a high rate of homicide is because of a culture based upon "honor" i.e. if somebody challenges your "honor" it's dealt with much more harshly than someone living in Massachusetts (a state who has heroes like Paul Pierce i.e. they have no honor to worry about). Can't remember where I read that though.
Play time is over.
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#425 » by E-Balla » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:02 pm

I currently live in the South and I blame the education system. I don't want to generalize this way but I've never meet so many stupid people in my life.

I think the first step to decreasing gun crime is to educate the public and then add a few gun laws to get the crazy people weeded out. I don't think it'll ever be low but bad education leads to poverty and poverty leads to crime. Laws would not stop that and people will still be out there with guns.

I also believe that every country needs armed citizens because every dictatorship starts with dearming the citizens. For all we know gun laws could lead to an American dictatorship 100 years from now.
johnnywishbone
General Manager

Post#426 » by johnnywishbone » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:02 am

GC Pantalones wrote:I currently live in the South and I blame the education system. I don't want to generalize this way but I've never meet so many stupid people in my life.

I think the first step to decreasing gun crime is to educate the public and then add a few gun laws to get the crazy people weeded out. I don't think it'll ever be low but bad education leads to poverty and poverty leads to crime. Laws would not stop that and people will still be out there with guns.

I also believe that every country needs armed citizens because every dictatorship starts with dearming the citizens. For all we know gun laws could lead to an American dictatorship 100 years from now.

re: the south. I bet.

re: education - it is the answer

re: american dictatorship? IDK, I think in a hundred years owning a gun to protect yourself from dictatorship would make as much sense as me saying today I'm going to buy a battle axe in case of a Viking invasion or I'm building a palisade around my house in case of an "injun" attack.
Play time is over.
JoseChinga
Banned User
And1: 23

Post#427 » by JoseChinga » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:30 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ck1doBu1Aw[/youtube]
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,000

Post#428 » by Pharmcat » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:40 am

JoseChinga wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ck1doBu1Aw[/youtube]

this guy needs a psych eval asap :lol:
JoseChinga
Banned User
And1: 23

Post#429 » by JoseChinga » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:44 am

He and all these gun enthusiast need a slap in the face.

I don't agree with Piers, nor Alex...both lead dangerous agendas.

This issue is way too black and white.
Jim Dolan
Starter
And1: 470

Post#430 » by Jim Dolan » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:02 pm

I honestly dont believe EITHER side is correct on this issue.

Statistics can be misleading, just because one thing happens, doesnt mean it caused certain trends to take place.

that is why gun control is such a complicated issue to debate and emotional people like Piers and Alex will go nowhere in their arguments. If you washed that other interview with Piers and Larry Pratt, Piers acted just as immature as Alex Jones did in defending his viewpoint.

Just because crime rate can go up or down due to no gun control, or stricter gun control, doesnt mean one is related to the other. Crimes rise and fall for various reasons. Mass shootings are too rare an occurrence IMO to point out trends.

Also, comparing DIFFERENT countries like the UK, USA, Australia can be misleading. We all have different cultures and this is an important element in crime statistics. Societal differences plays a role here and just because two countries might have the same laws doesnt always produce the same results.
Jim Dolan
Starter
And1: 470

Post#431 » by Jim Dolan » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:06 pm

not all people who carry guns act like Alex Jones

my grandfather (wwii veteran) owned a gun as did my father (ex-cop)

they kept a handgun in the home for self-defense.

I believe Obama should NOT be able to restrict law abiding citizens from doing this. He has no right to deny people of an unalienable right - which is the right to liberty (which includes self defense)

I also dont believe stricter gun laws or no gun laws has any effect on anything. There's always going to be bad people who do bad things, and criminals break laws regardless.

at the same time, I dont spend a minute of my day being paranoid about the government the way Alex may be.
Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,044

Post#432 » by Sark » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:12 pm

JoseChinga wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ck1doBu1Aw[/youtube]

Can someone please gif those faces? Those are priceless.
NYK_Lampe
Rookie
And1: 60

Post#433 » by NYK_Lampe » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:26 pm

Kenyon009 wrote:Drafted another Barfnani?
NYK_Lampe
Rookie

Post#434 » by NYK_Lampe » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:32 pm

NYK_Lampe
Rookie

Post#435 » by NYK_Lampe » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:45 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9efqhGBHZI[/youtube]
AndroidMan
Veteran
And1: 262

Post#436 » by AndroidMan » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:51 pm

good references.
AndroidMan
Veteran

Post#437 » by AndroidMan » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:54 pm

Here is the latest Piers Morgan vs video. While I agree that Ben Shapiro did a better job at remaining rational to get his point across that bodes well to the majority of uninitiated Americans, I do still think Piers's does need a good official smack down. I agree that Ben Shapiro's tactic come off well for most advocating the right to defend the 2nd Amendment, as it gives a gentler face and reason to accept the debate in favor of protecting the 2nd amendment, I still also believe Alex rightfully served up Piers Morgan. Piers should be deported, as he's a redcoat criminal.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJdhAm_oUUs[/youtube]
AndroidMan
Veteran

Post#438 » by AndroidMan » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:21 pm

AndroidMan
Veteran

Post#439 » by AndroidMan » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:40 am

Come on, someone has something to say.