ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Alex Jones freaks out on CNN

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

AndroidMan
Veteran
And1: 262

Re: OT: Alex Jones freaks out on CNN 

Post#401 » by AndroidMan » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:17 pm

Rasho Brezec wrote:The irony of someone from America calling a Brit rude and obnoxious.

The irony of assuming the British are not rude and obnoxious. You can call a spade a spade, no harm in pointing out the obvious. If I have any loyalty, it's to this country and not to some small little Island across the pond. I can say whatever I want about them. I have no allegiance to them whatsoever.
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,403
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#402 » by E-Balla » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:19 pm

This video is hilarious. Piers finally got what he deserved. But AJ really sounded crazy (despite running circles around Piers). Piers is a douche constantly calling his guest stupid and cutting them off so I'm happy this happened.

I personally think they shouldn't take guns because it makes little sense to take them. Robberies, assault, and rape rates are higher in Europe (actually robbery and assault rates are over twice as high in the UK). Less mass murders but more crime isn't the way to go. Guns stop crime. Gun control stops 3 mass murders a year... One of these are a bigger issue (AJ touches on this but in a crazy sounding way).

Many conspiracy theorists bring up great points but people don't listen to them because they ”sound crazy”. I'm not a conspiracy theorist but that doesn't mean that AJ is crazy or stupid because he said a few crazy and stupid things.

Patrice Oneal says it perfectly @ 18:30 (the whole video is hilarious...)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUcjutVBIpw[/youtube]

Also acting like the government killed 20 children? Shame, shame...
AndroidMan
Veteran

Post#403 » by AndroidMan » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:19 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xh4oHK8Dgck[/youtube]

Australia crime rate increases after gun control implemented. Shocker.
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#404 » by E-Balla » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:22 pm

johnnywishbone wrote:Just reported on CNN that in Australia they implemented a ban on all semi and fully automatic machine guns and they've had a 60% reduction in gun related homicides.

Does anybody think Australia is governed by a fascist regime intent on suppressing it's citizenry?

Homos went down but gun crime increased if I'm not mistaken.
yaboynyp
Assistant Coach
And1: 206

Post#405 » by yaboynyp » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:26 pm

NYK_Lampe wrote:
NyKnicks1714 wrote:
NYK_Lampe wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzEgrUwfeU4[/youtube]

This is disgusting. To use The Sandy Hook shooting for nonsense like this is just disgusting, no other word for it.

I cant ratinoalize to myself no matter how much I think in my head how is that little girl supposedly shot dead and there she is with the president the day after the shootings? And how is the father all smiling and chuckling right before he goes on tv the day after his daughter is killed and when he is about to go on he goes from smiling then it looks like he has a 7 or 8 second period where it looks like he is trying to get himself to seem really sad like he goes into acting mode. WTF

Brooke Ann Prothero, a close friend of Robbie and Alissa Parker, who are Emilie’s parents, debunked the theory in a post on the Facebook page.

“Did anyone notice the difference in age in her (Emilie’s) face from the picture of her in the red dress, age 4, to the picture of her in the pink shirt, age 6?” the post says. “Yeah, her face has matured. It’s her little sister that is wearing that dress with Obama. A treasured Christmas dress hand-me-down from her big sister Emilie. Madeline is there with Obama only because she has lost her best friend in the whole world. People think they are so brilliant because they notice the same dress. And then they open their mouth and show everyone just what idiots they really are.”

And if that's not enough, here's the slideshow shown at her funeral:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=3&theater
johnnywishbone
General Manager
And1: 1,361

Post#406 » by johnnywishbone » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:28 pm

The American National Rifle Association claimed in 2000 that violent crimes had increased in Australia since the introduction of new laws, based on highly unrepresentative statistics from newspaper articles[citation needed]. The federal Attorney General Daryl Williams accused the NRA of falsifying government statistics and urged the NRA to "remove any reference to Australia" from its website.

"Australia shoots back at NRA". WorldNetDaily.com. 24 March 2000.

Typical lying and misrepresentation from an organization that represents gun manufacturers.
Play time is over.
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#407 » by E-Balla » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:33 pm

... Hell I don't know what to believe all I know is that places in America with more guns have less crime and places with more gun laws have more crime. I know at my high school we had at last two officers and my school wasn't dangerous at all. Don't give guns to teachers just keep two people on campus armed.
AndroidMan
Veteran

Post#408 » by AndroidMan » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:40 pm

GC Pantalones wrote:This video is hilarious. Piers finally got what he deserved. But AJ really sounded crazy (despite running circles around Piers). Piers is a douche constantly calling his guest stupid and cutting them off so I'm happy this happened.

I personally think they shouldn't take guns because it makes little sense to take them. Robberies, assault, and rape rates are higher in Europe (actually robbery and assault rates are over twice as high in the UK). Less mass murders but more crime isn't the way to go. Guns stop crime. Gun control stops 3 mass murders a year... One of these are a bigger issue (AJ touches on this but in a crazy sounding way).

Many conspiracy theorists bring up great points but people don't listen to them because they ”sound crazy”. I'm not a conspiracy theorist but that doesn't mean that AJ is crazy or stupid because he said a few crazy and stupid things.

Patrice Oneal says it perfectly @ 18:30 (the whole video is hilarious...)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUcjutVBIpw[/youtube]

Also acting like the government killed 20 children? Shame, shame...

Listening to Patrice right now, sounds pretty smart. Will update once finished. Didn't know dude was a big CT. What was the cause of his death by the way?

As for why people don't listen to CT even with solid evidence and references is because of denial and fear. They don't want to accept any other reality that they're already comfortable with. It would just flip their world around to start to assume that our government is evil and that what we've been taught have been exaggerated lies. Takes a big step to come to a realization of this. Even if some events are explained to them, these people will swipe it under the rug and just say it's an isolated incident or say that all superpowers do this. Lot of denial and fear for what may be an alternate reality that severely conflicts with what they're accustomed to.
johnnywishbone
General Manager

Post#409 » by johnnywishbone » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:40 pm

GC Pantalones wrote:... Hell I don't know what to believe all I know is that places in America with more guns have less crime and places with more gun laws have more crime. I know at my high school we had at last two officers and my school wasn't dangerous at all. Don't give guns to teachers just keep two people on campus armed.

I'm sorry but that's just not statistically true.

Play time is over.
AndroidMan
Veteran

Post#410 » by AndroidMan » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:53 pm

Just to dispute Australian figures. Here's an article I pulled from Maui News, which I'll assume you'll try to discredit as being NRA funded. Haha. And this article is dated from 2012, and not from over a decade ago.

http://www.mauinews.com/page/content.de ... tml?nav=18

After Australian lawmakers passed widespread gun bans, owners were forced to surrender about 650,000 weapons, which were later slated for destruction, according to statistics from the Australian Sporting Shooters Association.

The bans were not limited to so-called assault weapons or military-type firearms, but also 22-caliber rifles and shotguns. The effort cost the Australian government about $500 million, according to an association representative.

Though lawmakers responsible for passing the ban promised a safer country, the nation's crime statistics tell a different story:

* Countrywide, homicides are up 3.2 percent.

* Assaults are up 8.6 percent.

* Amazingly, armed robberies have climbed nearly 45 percent.

* In the Australian state of Victoria, gun homicides have climbed 300 percent.

* In the 25 years before the gun ban, crime in Australia had been dropping steadily.

* There has been a reported dramatic increase in home burglaries and assaults on the elderly.
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#411 » by E-Balla » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:05 pm

johnnywishbone wrote:
GC Pantalones wrote:... Hell I don't know what to believe all I know is that places in America with more guns have less crime and places with more gun laws have more crime. I know at my high school we had at last two officers and my school wasn't dangerous at all. Don't give guns to teachers just keep two people on campus armed.

That's a bit off because the south is violent with or without gun laws (look at Texas and Florida). Another issue is that the sample sizes of what is banned is very small. Of course some gun control is required for safety but we have bigger issues and I'm tired of people blaming the guns.

AlsoI lived in Connecticut. They have super strict gun laws so I'm sure that wasn't the issue at all in this shooting. Chicago (strict gun laws) and LA (strictest gun laws) are still war zones and I'm pretty sure Cali and Illinois are hovering around the national average homicide rate (proving they'll still kill with or without guns... And Illinois is above the average for gun crime). DC is by far the most dangerous area in the country and they have strict gun laws too.
yaboynyp
Assistant Coach

Post#412 » by yaboynyp » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:05 pm

AndroidMan wrote:Just to dispute Australian figures. Here's an article I pulled from Maui News, which I'll assume you'll try to discredit as being NRA funded. Haha. And this article is dated from 2012, and not from over a decade ago.

After Australian lawmakers passed widespread gun bans, owners were forced to surrender about 650,000 weapons, which were later slated for destruction, according to statistics from the Australian Sporting Shooters Association.

The bans were not limited to so-called assault weapons or military-type firearms, but also 22-caliber rifles and shotguns. The effort cost the Australian government about $500 million, according to an association representative.

Though lawmakers responsible for passing the ban promised a safer country, the nation's crime statistics tell a different story:

* In the 25 years before the gun ban, crime in Australia had been dropping steadily.

* There has been a reported dramatic increase in home burglaries and assaults on the elderly.

http://www.snopes.com/crime/statistics/ausguns.asp
johnnywishbone
General Manager

Post#413 » by johnnywishbone » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:15 pm

GC Pantalones wrote:
johnnywishbone wrote:

That's a bit off because the south is violent with or without gun laws (look at Texas and Florida). Another issue is that the sample sizes of what is banned is very small. Of course some gun control is required for safety but we have bigger issues and I'm tired of people blaming the guns.

AlsoI lived in Connecticut. They have super strict gun laws so I'm sure that wasn't the issue at all in this shooting. Chicago (strict gun laws) and LA (strictest gun laws) are still war zones and I'm pretty sure Cali and Illinois are hovering around the national average homicide rate (proving they'll still kill with or without guns... And Illinois is above the average for gun crime). DC is by far the most dangerous area in the country and they have strict gun laws too.

You are living in the 90s. http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?secti ... id=8491738

I can proudly say for 2011, it is the 9th consecutive year crime and violence in the city of Los Angeles has dropped," said L.A. Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa. "Once again, just as last year, on a per-capita basis, we're safer that any time since 1952."

According to the report, there were about 15,000 fewer crimes reported last year compared with the previous year in areas patrolled by LAPD and sheriff's deputies. The LAPD recorded 298 killings, which is about even with the historically low rate in 2010.
Play time is over.
johnnywishbone
General Manager

Post#414 » by johnnywishbone » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:16 pm

AndroidMan wrote:Just to dispute Australian figures. Here's an article I pulled from Maui News, which I'll assume you'll try to discredit as being NRA funded. Haha. And this article is dated from 2012, and not from over a decade ago.

That's a user submitted article quoting a conservative think tank. What a joke.
Play time is over.
AndroidMan
Veteran

Post#415 » by AndroidMan » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:21 pm

from snopes,

The main point to be learned here is that determining the effect of changes in Australia's gun ownership laws and the government's firearm buy-back program on crime rates requires a complex long-term analysis and can't be discerned from the small, mixed grab bag of short-term statistics offered here. And no matter what the outcome of that analysis, the results aren't necessarily applicable to the USA, where laws regarding gun ownership are (and always have been) much different than those in Australia.

Awesome analysis, i agree.
yaboynyp
Assistant Coach

Post#416 » by yaboynyp » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:22 pm

GC Pantalones wrote:
johnnywishbone wrote:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/l ... -1.1235916

Los Angeles can now lay claim to being the safest big city in America.

Newly released crime figures for 2012 show that the overall crime rate in Los Angeles fell 1.4 percent. Notching a decline for the 10th year in a row, Los Angeles now has the lowest crime rate in the country for cities with a population over 2 million people.

"Crime is down in the city of Los Angeles for the 10th straight year,” L.A. Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa said at a press conference called to tout the new numbers. “Now this is an extraordinary achievement. It's a testament to the tireless work of our law enforcement officers in conjunction with citizens who care about their communities and the quality of life.”

Overall, violent crime fell by 8.3 percent, with the number of murders remaining low. Just 20 years ago there were 1,092 murders in Los Angeles. In 2012, the city recorded just 298.

COUPLE SHOT DURING SALE OF IPHONE TO CRAISGLIST ‘BUYER’ IN PARKING LOT OF SAN DIEGO MCDONALD’S

Police Chief Charlie Beck said that the cities efforts to target gang-related crime have paid off.

“It wasn’t very long ago that we were the homicide capital of the nation and the undisputed, undisputed source of gang misery worldwide,” Beck said. “Because of this mayor, we’ve changed that. Now we’re the source of the solution.”

While Robberies were down 11 percent from the year before, and the number of reported aggravated assaults plunged by 6.3 percent, not all the news was good.

The number of rapes reported rose by 4.9 percent, and thefts ticked up by 4.3 percent from their 2011 totals.

One area of special concern, however, was a 30 percent spike in cellphone thefts over the past year.

Last month, New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg blamed iPhone thieves for the slight rise in the number of thefts in the Big Apple.
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#417 » by E-Balla » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:23 pm

Homicide rate in 2011 was 4.7. According to your map the California homicide rate is over that. Also country wide homicide is down to levels that haven't been seen since the 60s. The whole country is safer (that number also includes suicides which accounts for over half of the US gun deaths).
yaboynyp
Assistant Coach

Post#418 » by yaboynyp » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:24 pm

AndroidMan wrote:

from snopes,

The main point to be learned here is that determining the effect of changes in Australia's gun ownership laws and the government's firearm buy-back program on crime rates requires a complex long-term analysis and can't be discerned from the small, mixed grab bag of short-term statistics offered here. And no matter what the outcome of that analysis, the results aren't necessarily applicable to the USA, where laws regarding gun ownership are (and always have been) much different than those in Australia.

Double post
yaboynyp
Assistant Coach

Post#419 » by yaboynyp » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:25 pm

AndroidMan wrote:

from snopes,

As do I … What works in rural America may or may not work in say a Detroit or Chicago. Not advocating for an Australian type gun ban just putting the facts on the table..
AndroidMan
Veteran

Post#420 » by AndroidMan » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:26 pm

yaboynyp wrote:
As do I … Not advocating for an Australian type gun ban just putting the facts on the table..

Fair enough. I don't really know anything about Australian gun laws and resulting crimes that may or may not follow. I'm using Google, on the spot, for any knowledge here. It does seem like comparing Apples(Americans) to Oranges(Australians) though. Not really a fair assessment.

Return to New York Knicks