ImageImageImageImageImage

Think Dantoni wants Novak? Novak+Brew for Artest?

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

ORANGEandBLUE
RealGM
And1: 1,334

Re: Think Dantoni wants Novak? Novak+Brew for Artest? 

Post#16 » by ORANGEandBLUE » Tue Jan 8, 2013 3:28 pm

I mentioned this in another thread, but another guy I'd look at is Marvin Williams. I've read that Utah wants to trade him, and has a similar skillset to MWP. He's not as tough and energetic, but he's also only 27. He could probably be had for the Novak-Brewer package.
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,134

Post#17 » by Fat Kat » Tue Jan 8, 2013 3:30 pm

ORANGEandBLUE wrote:I mentioned this in another thread, but another guy I'd look at is Marvin Williams. I've read that Utah wants to trade him, and has a similar skillset to MWP. He's not as tough and energetic, but he's also only 27. He could probably be had for the Novak-Brewer package.

I wouldn't trade Novak for that bum straight up.
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
ORANGEandBLUE
RealGM

Post#18 » by ORANGEandBLUE » Tue Jan 8, 2013 3:32 pm

Fat Kat wrote:
ORANGEandBLUE wrote:I mentioned this in another thread, but another guy I'd look at is Marvin Williams. I've read that Utah wants to trade him, and has a similar skillset to MWP. He's not as tough and energetic, but he's also only 27. He could probably be had for the Novak-Brewer package.

My impression of Marvin is that he's a solid 3-point shooter, a solid defender at both the 3 and 4, and is a solid rebounder. Unless I'm wrong, I don't see how you can call him a bum.
cgmw
RealGM
And1: 9,443

Post#19 » by cgmw » Tue Jan 8, 2013 3:34 pm

Fat Kat wrote:

I love me some Novak. But honestly, this team needs a starting-calibre DEFENSIVE player versatile enough to defend PFs but play SF on offense.

Anything to get Carmelo to play SF on defense and PF on offense.
"Sell the team. Sell the team. Sell the team."
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,871

Post#20 » by NoLayupRule » Tue Jan 8, 2013 3:35 pm

Knicksfan20 wrote:Think Dantoni wants Novak? Novak+Brew for Artest?

Dear lord thats a terrible trade for NY :cry:
ORANGEandBLUE
RealGM

Post#21 » by ORANGEandBLUE » Tue Jan 8, 2013 3:37 pm

cgmw wrote:I love me some Novak. But honestly, this team needs a starting-calibre DEFENSIVE player versatile enough to defend PFs but play SF on offense.

Yup.. and while I think Amare has played well, he hasn't done anything to suggest that he will be playing the 3 on offense, as a lot of people suggested he would.
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,134

Post#22 » by Fat Kat » Tue Jan 8, 2013 3:37 pm

cgmw wrote:
Fat Kat wrote:

I love me some Novak. But honestly, this team needs a starting-calibre DEFENSIVE player versatile enough to defend PFs but play SF on offense.

What does any of that have to do with Williams?
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
cgmw
RealGM
And1: 9,443

Post#23 » by cgmw » Tue Jan 8, 2013 3:38 pm

Fat Kat wrote:
cgmw wrote:I love me some Novak. But honestly, this team needs a starting-calibre DEFENSIVE player versatile enough to defend PFs but play SF on offense.

What does any of that have to do with Williams?

Not saying it does. But it might. I'm not really up on his game any more.
"Sell the team. Sell the team. Sell the team."
ORANGEandBLUE
RealGM

Post#24 » by ORANGEandBLUE » Tue Jan 8, 2013 3:40 pm

I'm skeptical of Marvin-bashing because people are quick to assume that anybody who hasn't lived up to draft-day expectations is a scrub. I'm also skeptical of the idea that he brings absolutely nothing to the table, given that he started on a Hawks team that won several playoff series'.
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#25 » by Thugger HBC » Tue Jan 8, 2013 3:43 pm

Marvin Williams is a bust, has done virtually nothing in the NBA.... Artest is an interesting idea though, worth legit consideration if it came to that.

Novak doesn't fit D'antonis system at all, he isn't a stretch 4, he's just a wide open 3 point shooter.
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,871

Post#26 » by NoLayupRule » Tue Jan 8, 2013 3:44 pm

Artest has no place on this team honestly

we dont need the ego or the attitude

and we dont need a defensive SF who thinks hes better than he is and thinks hes a scorer.

I will grant you that hes played well this season though
ORANGEandBLUE
RealGM

Post#27 » by ORANGEandBLUE » Tue Jan 8, 2013 3:45 pm

Thugger HBC wrote:Marvin Williams is a bust, has done virtually nothing in the NBA.... Artest is an interesting idea though, worth legit consideration if it came to that.

Novak doesn't fit D'antonis system at all, he isn't a stretch 4, he's just a wide open 3 point shooter.

So Marvin is a below-average defender?
ORANGEandBLUE
RealGM

Post#28 » by ORANGEandBLUE » Tue Jan 8, 2013 3:50 pm

The ideal guy would be Robert Horry. Whoever is the closest guy to Robert Horry, who is on the block, is who we should offer Novak, Brewer, and/or KT for.
biggyfuzz
Sixth Man
And1: 16

Post#29 » by biggyfuzz » Tue Jan 8, 2013 4:05 pm

I would like to get Jamison as well..who else can we add to get Jamison?
I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can't accept not trying.
DE FENSE
RealGM
And1: 2,627

Post#30 » by DE FENSE » Tue Jan 8, 2013 5:07 pm

Thank god you guys aren't in charge. That trade is awful. Isiah Thomas awful.
Knicksfan20
RealGM
And1: 5,759

Post#31 » by Knicksfan20 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 5:15 pm

DE FENSE wrote:Thank god you guys aren't in charge. That trade is awful. Isiah Thomas awful.

How do you figure?

Artest>>>> Both combined.

White=Brewer
Cope = Novak

We dont take a talent drop, and we traded 2 depth players (who wont be getting burn once we're healthy anyways) and get one of the best/strongest defenders in the league.

We are going to need somebody to guard the Lebron's/Pierce's of the world. Artest is that guy, and he gets steals which adds to our creating turnovers. To me this would be a no brainer if it was on the table.

You add somebody like Walker for situational 3pt shooting, he has proven to be a 40% 3pt shooter. I dont get what the issue is here. Artest is a NY guy, he would love coming here. And we add some more playoff toughness and another player with a ring.
DE FENSE
RealGM

Post#32 » by DE FENSE » Tue Jan 8, 2013 5:32 pm

We lose one of the deadliest shooters in the league, we add another volatile personality, put a wrench in team chemistry, and get older. I like what we have. I'd rather stick, and I have a feeling Grunwald would too.
Knicksfan20
RealGM
And1: 5,759

Post#33 » by Knicksfan20 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 5:52 pm

Deadly shooting doesnt help when he is constantly gets beat on defense and on the boards. Doesnt help when he only takes 3 shots in 20 minutes. Its not going to help too much in the playoffs when he wont be able to find an inch of breathing room.

He is a one dimensional player. Artest is a great defender, good rebounder and a solid offensive player. WE wont have to make offense/defense subs...because Artest can play on both ends.
Woodsanity
RealGM
And1: 9,850

Post#34 » by Woodsanity » Tue Jan 8, 2013 6:22 pm

ORANGEandBLUE wrote:
Thugger HBC wrote:Marvin Williams is a bust, has done virtually nothing in the NBA.... Artest is an interesting idea though, worth legit consideration if it came to that.

So Marvin is a below-average defender?

Actually he is a pretty bad defender tbh. Almost as bad as Novak.

Only the playoffs separate the true great ones and frauds.
DE FENSE
RealGM

Post#35 » by DE FENSE » Tue Jan 8, 2013 6:23 pm

You need reliable shooters to keep the defense honest. Even when Novak isn't shooting, he demands attention. That itself is very valuable on this team, and would be greatly missed. He's not as easy to replace as you might think. Yes his defense is poor, but you can see he is working on that aspect of his game this season, including helping out on the boards.

No way am I ready to give up on him, and definitely not for a knucklehead/dirty player like Artest. Not to mention Artest's 15% trade kicker and next season being a player option. I just don't see it happening.

Return to New York Knicks