ImageImageImageImageImage

Melo - KG : the Aftermath

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

blumatic
Assistant Coach
And1: 787

Re: Melo - KG : the Aftermath 

Post#61 » by blumatic » Wed Jan 9, 2013 3:36 pm

iceman23 wrote:anyways his going to be suspended at least a week

I'll play. Give me the precedent or similar event that would warrant Melo to be suspended a week.
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#62 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Wed Jan 9, 2013 3:40 pm

WhateverBro wrote:Exactly. A rumor that's been around for years and NEVER been confirmed. You would think something like this would've come up if it indeed was true but no one has ever confirmed it, it's just a stupid internet rumor.

Whenever something comes with a disclaimer that says; "This is an unsubstantiated rumor" then well.. you should treat it as such. And you're not doing that when you're saying "KG said happy mothers day to duncan in 99 knowing his mother passed away 10 years earlier" without having even one source, not even credible but just one source that says that in fact happened. It's just a rumor, there are thousands of those.

Come on now.......you really don't think KG said it? Gimme a break. I'm pretty sure he talks all sorts of wild **** on the court, just like Bird, MJ, Payton used to do. I wouldn't be surprised if the Mother's Day comment was true, and I'm positive the cancer patient comment was said to Charlie V. I have a friend and a cousin-in-law, who both have alopecia. They've been called worse things, so it's not out of the realm of possibility that KG said that on the court. I'm sure fans have said worse things to players. Seriously. Remember what happened to Steve Kerr?

Believing that KG didn't say those things is a bit naive.
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,355

Post#63 » by god shammgod » Wed Jan 9, 2013 3:45 pm

ugh
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,961

Post#64 » by Manhattan Project » Wed Jan 9, 2013 3:46 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kooYsmeEFpA[/youtube]
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
JohnStarksTheDunk
General Manager
And1: 2,008

Post#65 » by JohnStarksTheDunk » Wed Jan 9, 2013 3:56 pm

frogfood wrote:
I feel it's obvious who is lying considering the lengths Melo took to get at him, post game. And it's in typical KG form for him to backtrack after being retaliated on.

Yes, I am inclined to agree. Common sense suggests that typical basketball-related trash talk wouldn't cause such a strong reaction.
bklynstoops
Head Coach
And1: 1,530

Post#66 » by bklynstoops » Wed Jan 9, 2013 4:04 pm

Manhattan Project wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kooYsmeEFpA[/youtube]

Nice clip. I don't like Jalen as a basketball analyst so much, but he's the type of guy you'd love to hang out with. He'll tell you stories.
UrbanLegend
Banned User
And1: 4

Post#67 » by UrbanLegend » Wed Jan 9, 2013 4:18 pm

All I know is that Honey Nut Cheerios are my favorite cereal... don't see why Knick fans are all salty towards a cereal. However, yes KG resorts to these tactics, but if anything Cheerios are healthy for ya'll.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,362

Post#68 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Jan 9, 2013 6:21 pm

UrbanLegend wrote:All I know is that Honey Nut Cheerios are my favorite cereal... don't see why Knick fans are all salty towards a cereal. However, yes KG resorts to these tactics, but if anything Cheerios are healthy for ya'll.

They'll never taste the same again. And I betcha you'll never be able to eat them without thing of this incident. :lol:
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#69 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Jan 9, 2013 6:25 pm

Found this article from this cat name Schmeelk from CBS/New York on the whole Melo-KG battle. I think he nailed this one.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/01/08/ ... t-celtics/

Schmeelk: Knicks, Carmelo Fail Big Test Against Celtics
January 8, 2013 2:37 PM

Kevin Garnett is a great basketball player, but he is also a borderline dirty player that acts like a jerk on the court. He is also a maestro that played Carmelo Anthony like an instrument last night. Garnett baited Anthony like no one else in the league can, and Melo responded by biting down on the hook like an untested rookie who forgot he was playing in the NBA and not on some playground in Baltimore.

Watching Anthony last night was like viewing a tragic play that everyone knew the ending of except for him. As Garnett bumped, elbowed and said who knows what to him, Anthony got angrier by the second. In the third quarter, Anthony committed two nonsensical fouls more than 25 feet away from the basket that gave him four for the game. They had nothing to do with smart basketball or good defense, and everything to do with a guy losing his head on the floor.

It came to a head in the fourth quarter when Anthony was switched onto Garnett over and over again (more on that tomorrow — Mike Woodson was terribly outcoached by Doc Rivers and had more to do with the loss than Anthony) and the two started what could only be called street fighting in the post. It’s exactly what Garnett wanted, and he got Anthony to react perfectly. They got double technical fouls, and at times it looked like Anthony was on the verge of an ejection. J.R. Smith, of all people, had to be the voice of reason and step in to calm Anthony down. Let that settle in: Smith was the calming influence. To Anthony’s credit, he never crossed that line and got tossed, but he did let his emotions get the better of him, and it affected his offense.

In the fourth quarter Anthony shot 2-of-10, including seven from three-point land. Of those seven threes, many were forced and few were in the flow of the offense. He was having a bad shooting game anyway, but Garnett took him out of his game. His shot selection and general demeanor stunk.

Watching from the stands, it honestly looked like Anthony was a lot more interested in settling some kind of personal score with Garnett than he was in winning the game. Based on how he acted in the tunnel, outside the Celtics’ locker room and by the bus after the game it was clear that that was his priority. It’s not something a professional does.

The Celtics were in large part a mental hurdle for the Knicks. Despite their slow start, they were still the second-best team in the Eastern Conference last year once Derrick Rose got hurt. They still have Garnett and Paul Pierce, and took the Heat to the brink of elimination. The Knicks have yet to beat them in a big spot.

Heading into this game — especially without Rajon Rondo — no one would argue that the Knicks were the better team, but the Celtics knew they could win if they used their veteran guile, tricks and instigating tactics to drag the Knicks into their type of game. Thanks to the lack of discipline from Anthony they were able to do just that.

Anthony has been rightfully credited for a lot of growth this year as a leader and as an unselfish team player on offense. All that praise was well-earned and deserving, but Monday night was a huge step back. A leader and a winner does not try to fight Garnett after a game outside the locker room or by the team buses. A leader and a winner doesn’t let himself melt down in the fourth quarter of a close and important game. There was a disturbing lack of mental toughness and maturity. We’ve seen immature stuff like this before from Anthony, like his infamous sucker punch of Mardy Collins.

This was going to be a big week for the Knicks since they were playing three defensive-oriented Eastern Conference teams that they could see in the postseason. The Celtics, Pacers and Bulls all want to slow it down, play physical basketball and win with defense. So far this season, the Knicks have shown the penchant for letting teams like those take them out of their game.

It happened in their two losses to the Bulls, the latter of which saw ejections from Anthony, Woodson and Tyson Chandler. It also happened in the third quarter of their early-season loss against the Grizzlies, when Woodson, Anthony, Smith and Rasheed Wallace all were hit with technical fouls during the game.

The Knicks do not respond well to overly physical play, especially when they aren’t getting the calls from the officials. Instead of locking down their emotions and playing harder, they lose focus.

And more times than not, they lose the game.

They get more concerned with complaining to the referees and engaging with macho physical play with their opponents than actually trying to win the basketball game. Some guys play better angry, but this Knicks team and its star doesn’t Anthony is not Sidney Dean (White Men Can’t Jump reference).

Every park has an older guy that can pick out the new young guy that has a ton of skills, but can get psyched out by a well-placed elbow or some trash talk. By the end of the second game the new guy is so angry that he stops playing well. That’s exactly what Garnett did to Anthony. I’ve seen it on the playground a dozen times and have been on the receiving end of it. I saw it last night on the floor of Madison Square Garden. Anthony has to get out of that playground mentality.

A team takes its cue from its best player, and last night Anthony set a terrible example and showed that he is still immature in many ways. Can Garnett be a jerk and a dirty player? Sure. But Anthony should know that and measure his reactions accordingly. Is there any doubt that Garnett was laughing on the inside every second that Anthony imploded on the court and acted like an idiot after the game? I’m sure they’re still laughing about it at practice today. Melo should know better.

Luckily for Anthony this was merely a regular-season game. He and the rest of the Knicks team needs to realize that the entire postseason is going to be filled with games just like these. Perhaps they can learn from this and figure out a way to keep their cool. They’ll have two more tests in just a couple of days against the Pacers and the Bulls, two teams that will try to do similar things to the Knicks.

The Knicks’ mental toughness needs to match their strong play, and it begins with their star. If it doesn’t, the only things the Knicks will be doing at the end of May is watching the playoffs on television.
Free Palestine
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#70 » by Thugger HBC » Wed Jan 9, 2013 6:30 pm

I agree somewhat with the article except two points.

Melo was having a bad shooting long before the talking that him got fired up about, and there is no huge step backwards.

I expect zero change in Melo and the teams game and they will move forward from this.
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#71 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Jan 9, 2013 6:37 pm

Thugger HBC wrote:I agree somewhat with the article except two points.

Melo was having a bad shooting long before the talking that him got fired up about, and there is no huge step backwards.

I expect zero change in Melo and the teams game and they will move forward from this.

Sure, but a lot of shooters/scorer can start the game off cold and then heat up in the second half. In fact, that's what usually happens with guys like Melo, Kobe, Durant, etc. KG definitely threw Melo off his game. When was the last time Melo went 6-26?

As to your second point, I hope you're wrong because Woodson got terribly out-coached by Doc, especially in the 4th quarter.
Free Palestine
Johnny Hoops
RealGM
And1: 2,212

Post#72 » by Johnny Hoops » Wed Jan 9, 2013 7:17 pm

and - if Melo had started off hot --- I really doubt that Garnett gets to him.

Melo was initially frustrated by the physical play, missing shots and not getting calls -- we've seen this before in any # of games when he starts pile-driving into 2-3 guys trying to get a call.

Ultimately he was initially frustrated and Garnett pushed him over the edge.

The game does point out a flaw in these Knicks - an achilles heel if you will. We have a # of volatile players --- see Melo, Chandler, Sheed, JR and if they let their emotions go -- we will typically implode.

Best thing is that Melo was reminded of this now and maybe that helps us come playoff time.
taj2133
General Manager
And1: 2,972

Post#73 » by taj2133 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 7:22 pm

my previous post on the other kg thread

i wondering if this happened to gallo what would be the reaction on this board i think it would be the total opposite what melo did it would be like this how dare kg do this gallo. Gallo should have went to the bus attacked kg but if melo did this not leader needs keep his cool we has fans have to defended our players right way personally i don't care kg comments because after this year celtics are done and everbody knows it they might be one done in the playoffs elminate in the first round of playoffs
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 49,885

Post#74 » by Deeeez Knicks » Wed Jan 9, 2013 7:34 pm

This is so typical of how things are these days. Things just get way overblown by the media and social networks with everyone rushing to chime in without even knowing what happened. They didn’t even come to blows. Of course it just gives people who dislike Melo to continue to do so.

But at the end of the day it still comes down to if Melo and the Knicks can get it done in the playoffs and nobody knows that yet. This could help Melo down the road, or maybe its a sign of things to come. We'll just have to wait and see.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
Knicker23
General Manager
And1: 139

Post#75 » by Knicker23 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 10:41 pm

here's a good article on the whole situation that I just read in the WSJ

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 50004.html

Deep into that crummy boring college-football championship in Florida, word began to emerge that, 1,200 miles north, there'd been a bizarre sort-of-almost confrontation in the underbelly of Madison Square Garden after the Knicks-Celtics game. Something about Carmelo Anthony. Something about Kevin Garnett. Something about words being exchanged. Bad words. Words Anthony would later characterize to Knicks reporters as "certain things that you just don't say to men." Then: something weird about a bus.

Not long after, a video epilogue arrived, courtesy of a Boston television outlet—Anthony in the Garden garage, dressed in street clothes and a merry red winter cap, waiting outside the Celtics bus. That's all it seemed to depict: A man waiting for a bus. The same kind of thrilling human drama that occurs a few blocks away inside the glamorous Eighth Wonder of the Natural World, the Port Authority.

Now Anthony was probably not there to tell the Celtics bus driver to take the West Side Highway to the Henry Hudson to the Saw Mill. He was probably not there to tell his opponents they could still get to Veselka and order the latkes. Anthony was miffed at the Celtics' virtuoso antagonizer Kevin Garnett, with whom he tangled repeatedly during the game. Anthony said Tuesday that he wanted to talk to Garnett again. That's why he went to the bus. To talk.

Related

The Big Fuss Over the Bus
That Garnett gets under an opponent's skin is never a surprise; he's made a spectacular career out of getting under opponent skin while becoming one of the best defensive players of his era. Anthony apparently took exception and wanted to continue the conversation after the heated game. After the game their coaches swerved away from the topic, not wanting to goose the drama.

Now you can look at this odd dust-up a couple of ways. The first is just the obvious tsk-tsk reaction: Anthony shouldn't have sought out Garnett after the game. It's just not the type of thing you're supposed to do. Settle battles on the court; keep your composure; be a leader and so on. Don't let Kevin Garnett be Kevin Garnett! The aging forward is probably thrilled he's now subletted a nice one-bedroom in Anthony's head. Coach Mike Woodson said Tuesday that it was important for players to be "professional." Yes, yes, yes! All of these observations are totally valid and well-reasoned. We are in hearty agreement that we are all responsible adults striving to be civil and decorous and should not do things like look for Kevin Garnett on a bus.

Can we leave detention now?

Here's the truth: I suspect that Knicks fans secretly love The Bus Story. Maybe not even secretly. This is Anthony's third season in New York, and he is playing what many believe to be the best basketball of his career. Monday afternoon, Anthony was named the NBA's Eastern Conference Player of the Week and he's a contender—a legitimate contender, not just one of those New York-loves-the-sound-of-its-own-voice contenders—in the league MVP race. The Knicks are an imperfect team but they are in the thick of it, and the motivated play of Anthony is the principal reason why.

And yet, throughout his time in the league, there's been this lurking concern that Anthony, while one of the league's finest scorers, was not equipped with the mettle of a champion like, well, Garnett. And though Monday night's postgame action was irrational and probably foolish (and possibly finable and suspendable)—there's also the fact that the Knicks lost, which seems to have been forgotten—it was exactly the kind of signal that Knicks fans have been hoping for. Anthony is here for business.

There's also this: The fact that it came against Boston—and Garnett—makes it a little better, richer, tantalizing. Anthony furious at the Bobcats? Yawn; you could not care less. Anthony furious at the Celtics? New York eats that up. This city is chemically drawn to any kind of Boston agitation. The Yankees-Red Sox rivalry has been zombified in recent years. Jets-Patriots feels like a sitcom. There's room for the Knicks and the Celtics to make Northeast clatter here.

Boston's bus will be back. The Knicks travel up to Massachusetts in a couple of weeks and again in March before the Celtics wheel into the Garden for a showdown March 31. We'll know a lot more about these Knicks by then—how resilient they are; how resistant to injury they can be; how Amar'e Stoudemire has progressed in his return from injury. We should have a good sense if this team is ready to make noise in the playoffs. But it feels like we already know what's going on with Carmelo Anthony. He's in. He wants to drive this bus.
UnderdogKnicks
Starter
And1: 40

Post#76 » by UnderdogKnicks » Wed Jan 9, 2013 10:55 pm

It's true NYers love hating Boston and vice versa. I did actually felt a jolly sensation inside me when I heard about the incident, if a NY player hates the Celtics as much as their fans that's cool. Just makes the rivalry more real to us and makes him 1 of us.
Classics :

Knicks, Giants, Yankees, Rangers
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#77 » by Dr. Detfink » Wed Jan 9, 2013 11:31 pm

Hey, I say good for KG. He's in it to win at ANY and ALL costs. The same cannot be said for Melo. This is NOT a sport that condones good sportsmanship, that is hockey. KG doesn't want to hear it, why would he care? He's a CELTIC.

If players can handle the WORST comments screamed by fans, they should be able to harness that chip on their shoulder like solar energy and do BETTER than 6 for 20.
Butch718
RealGM
And1: 6,533

Post#78 » by Butch718 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:08 am

Mark Murphy ‏@Murf56
Garnett asked about (the suspended) Carmelo Anthony after game, turns and walks out. With a slight smile.

EDIT: Just saw this was posted in another thread.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#79 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:17 am

So Stern/Jackson don't reprimand and/or fine Garnett for his comments which have instigated on-court incidents? Do I have that right? That's pathetic if true.
Free Palestine
iceman23
Sophomore
And1: 4

Post#80 » by iceman23 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:23 am

HawthorneWingo wrote:So Stern/Jackson don't reprimand and/or fine Garnett for his comments which have instigated on-court incidents? Do I have that right? That's pathetic if true.

trash talking been happening all the time...

playoffs is 100 times intense / trash talking....

Melo will never win a ring if his too soft

Harden up Melo....you made a Video Promoting people not the snitch !!

yet you cant handle trash talking

Return to New York Knicks