ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: ND's Te'o may be a fraud

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Re: OT: ND's Te'o may be a fraud 

Post#101 » by MaseInYourFace » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:16 pm

Like I said we won't know unless he opens up about it. I don't think he will. Right now they are trying their hardest to make story go away. I don't think it's a gay thing though. I think it's more likely he picked up on the sympathy he got from his grandma dying and decided to throw it up a notch in order to get more heisman hype and secure a high draft spot. It got much bigger than he thought it would.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
Jetset
RealGM
And1: 162

Post#102 » by Jetset » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:17 pm

religion is a choice, is it not?
Red Vines
RealGM
And1: 8,575

Post#103 » by Red Vines » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:19 pm

Sorry I just can't believe this is a typical "Catfish" case, it just doesn't fit. There was nothing exceptional about this girl or her picture that would have drawn him in so hard, so quickly when he could have literally had almost any girl on or off campus. I'm sure the Notre Dame campus has plenty of beautiful, intelligent, spiritual girls he could have easily hung out with. He almost had to try NOT to have a real relationship at Notre Dame. All the usual Catfish stories either have people on the other end who seem to be good to be true or really desperate seekers who have no other options. This girl was not "too good to be true" nor was this guy desperate for a girlfriend. It doesn't fit.
MaseInYourFace
RealGM

Post#104 » by MaseInYourFace » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:19 pm

destro wrote:religion is a choice, is it not?

Ultimiately yes, but depending on your culture it's not as easy to make the choice to not follow the religion...
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
guardplay320
Bench Warmer
And1: 101

Post#105 » by guardplay320 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:20 pm

You are born into a religion. It is a choice whether or not to follow that religion. If you have parents who push you very strongly on your religion, it isn't necessarily any easy choice to ignore the fact that you were born to that religion.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,121

Post#106 » by mpharris36 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:20 pm

absolutely is...you are usually brought up believing what is taught to you by your parents....but that has nothing to do with being gay.

Roman Catholics look down upon being gay (as it is a sin) but there a lot of gay catholics aren't there?

Just because someone is religous doesn't mean they aren't gay. It's not something you choose to be. Maybe how flamboyant you are about it. But its chemical makeup. He was brought up devoted morman by his parents but that doesn't mean he can't be gay...he doesn't get to choose that!
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
frogfood
Suspended
And1: 1,609

Post#107 » by frogfood » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:20 pm

GoodAzzGame_NYK wrote:
Because unfortunetely it is not accepted that male athlete especially a football player in a team contact sport is allowed to be gay.

It's not as bad as people make it out to be I hear. I watched some HBO Real Sports thing where, teammates know and even see their gay teammates significant other but nothing is ever said officially.

Anyway:

MaseInYourFace
RealGM

Post#108 » by MaseInYourFace » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:24 pm

Everywhere you go there are sub-groups and cliques. The NFL/big time sports teams in general is no different. I would imagine within the locker-room there are guys that make a big fuss about it (some may be closeted themselves), others don't care.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#109 » by mpharris36 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:32 pm

frogfood wrote:
GoodAzzGame_NYK wrote:
Because unfortunetely it is not accepted that male athlete especially a football player in a team contact sport is allowed to be gay.

It's not as bad as people make it out to be I hear. I watched some HBO Real Sports thing where, teammates know and even see their gay teammates significant other but nothing is ever said officially.

i hear ya but those are probably proffessional athletes (grown men). At the time what was he 19 years old?

All he probably knew was women throwing themselves at him and he didn't know how to deal with it and created thsi fake girlfriend as a way to escape that part of his life.

he was so in love with this girl that he didn't attend her funeral...because she wouldn't want him to miss a game?

all that stuff was made up to cover something up..the only thing that makes sense is him being gay.

ROSTER

mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#110 » by mpharris36 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:34 pm

MaseInYourFace wrote:Everywhere you go there are sub-groups and cliques. The NFL/big time sports teams in general is no different. I would imagine within the locker-room there are guys that make a big fuss about it (some may be closeted themselves), others don't care.

i agree 100%

there would be people that would be like, he is another human let him play
there would be people that would be grossed out

but look at it like that a morman attending a Jesuit University coming out of the closet?

how do you think that would look?

ROSTER

Jetset
RealGM

Post#111 » by Jetset » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:36 pm

GoodAzzGame_NYK wrote:

absolutely is...you are usually brought up believing what is taught to you by your parents....but that has nothing to do with being gay.

Roman Catholics look down upon being gay (as it is a sin) but there a lot of gay catholics aren't there?

Just because someone is religous doesn't mean they aren't gay. It's not something you choose to be. Maybe how flamboyant you are about it. But its chemical makeup. He was brought up devoted morman by his parents but that doesn't mean he can't be gay...he doesn't get to choose that!

i see where the problem is. apparently i'm missing the part where i said someone can one day wake up, change their instincts to whatever preference suits them at the given moment, and go on about their life. i'm missing it because i've never said it. i'm talking strictly from a religious standpoint. and i know of real life examples where a kid is brought up under a certain religion that preaches against what he is, and in turn disbands that religion. out of the gay people that i have come in contact with, i don't know of one that is a devout follower of a religion that preaches against what they humanly are and what they believe in. they may claim a religion, but i don't know of many that are devout followers.

i know how these things usually turn out as i've lurked this board for quite some time. you or someone else will be looking to continue this for 10 more pages until the thread has to rightfully be locked by your moderators. i won't having any part of it, as i have far more productive things to do. but i'll say is that it'll all come out regardless, as so long as places like deadspin are covering this.
Jetset
RealGM

Post#112 » by Jetset » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:37 pm

oh and if he is gay he's not going to be accepted. whether it's wrong or right, that's just how the culture is in the nfl.
MaseInYourFace
RealGM

Post#113 » by MaseInYourFace » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:40 pm

GoodAzzGame_NYK wrote:
MaseInYourFace wrote:Everywhere you go there are sub-groups and cliques. The NFL/big time sports teams in general is no different. I would imagine within the locker-room there are guys that make a big fuss about it (some may be closeted themselves), others don't care.

i agree 100%

but look at it like that a morman attending a Jesuit University coming out of the closet?

Your making valid points but there are a lot of gay athletes, more than we realize because most don't come out while they are active in their athletic careers. Some have "beards", some use religion to cover their sexuality, some just keep really private about that part of their life. He could have just as easily clinged to his religion to say he's celibate, etc like Tebow (not saying he's gay btw). I just think it's more likely he made this up to garner sympathy for a Heisman and a high draft choice (like within the first 3).
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#114 » by mpharris36 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:41 pm

destro wrote:
GoodAzzGame_NYK wrote:

i see where the problem is. apparently i'm missing the part where i said someone can one day wake up, change their instincts to whatever preference suits them at the given moment, and go on about their life. i'm missing it because i've never said it. i'm talking strictly from a religious standpoint. and i know of real life examples where a kid is brought up under a certain religion that preaches against what he is, and in turn disbands that religion. out of the gay people that i have come in contact with, i don't know of one that is a devout follower of a religion that preaches against what they humanly are and what they believe in. they may claim a religion, but i don't know of many that are devout followers.

i know how these things usually turn out as i've lurked this board for quite some time. you or someone else will be looking to continue this for 10 more pages until the thread has to rightfully be locked by your moderators. i won't having it, as i have far more productive things to do. but i'll say is that it'll all come out regardless, as so long as places like deadspin are covering this.

im not trying to get in an argument i am just pointing out that just because you are religous doesn't mean that everything that religion believes in you follow!

I was raised a catholic and I believe the majority of what is being taught...but there are quit a few things in the catholic religion and catholic church which I don't believe in or agree with. Does that not make me a catholic? I got to church every sunday?

ROSTER

frogfood
Suspended
And1: 1,609

Post#115 » by frogfood » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:45 pm

destro wrote:oh and if he is gay he's not going to be accepted. whether it's wrong or right, that's just how the culture is in the nfl.

LMAO "whether it's right or wrong"
You serious man?
Jetset
RealGM

Post#116 » by Jetset » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:46 pm

turns out the interview scheduled for today was cancelled
Brian Hamilton ‏@ChiTribHamilton
By the way, on @WaddleandSilvy, the guys told me Bristol called. ESPN/Schaap sitdown with Manti Te'o was "scrapped." Just passing it along.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#117 » by mpharris36 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:46 pm

MaseInYourFace wrote:
GoodAzzGame_NYK wrote:

i agree 100%

Your making valid points but there are a lot of gay athletes, more than we realize because most don't come out while they are active in their athletic careers. Some have "beards", some use religion to cover their sexuality, some just keep really private about that part of their life. He could have just as easily clinged to his religion to say he's celibate, etc like Tebow (not saying he's gay btw). I just think it's more likely he made this up to garner sympathy for a Heisman and a high draft choice (like within the first 3).

I don't disagree with you on some of your points. They make sense. I am not saying that its 100% that he is gay. I just have a feeling all the facts are pointing to this. Remember this fake girfriend was created 3 years ago way before he became relevant to the national media and all college fans.

So that throws out the sympathy "heisman" card in my eyes
He obviously was tricked (he talked about meeting her in person after the notre dame stanford game) that is actually documented. Soe he obviously was part of the hoax.

So that leaves either being a loony crazy man that just lied to millions of people for no reason because he was awkward and standoffish? - this i doubt, he seems pretty engaging and confident in interviews

Being gay is the only things that sticks out that makes sense to why he would create such an elaborate story about a fake girfriend to obviously cover up something about his life he didn't want people to find out.

ROSTER

NYKinMIA
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,947

Post#118 » by NYKinMIA » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:46 pm

destro wrote:oh and if he is gay he's not going to be accepted. whether it's wrong or right, that's just how the culture is in the nfl.

Jetset
RealGM

Post#119 » by Jetset » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:47 pm

frogfood wrote:

LMAO "whether it's right or wrong"
You serious man?

is it right? no. but i'm staying neutral, as not everyone shares the same views as you. and that seems to be the biggest problem here, people being close minded to people that share different viewpoints as them. not everyone is going to agree with you.
MaseInYourFace
RealGM

Post#120 » by MaseInYourFace » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:48 pm

Catholic religion is funny like that. People stick around with it more so due to tradition because if they are that religious there is probably a better fit within the broader spectrum of Christian relgions. For me personally it got to the point where there were too many things I didn't agree with or had doubts on, it was a gradual progression. I pretty much left Catholicism officially in my early twenties. At 31, I am now agnostic.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard

Return to New York Knicks