ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: ND's Te'o may be a fraud

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,548

Re: OT: ND's Te'o may be a fraud 

Post#121 » by mpharris36 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:50 pm

MaseInYourFace wrote:Catholic religion is funny like that. People stick around with it more so due to tradition because if they are that religious there is probably a better fit within the broader spectrum of Christian relgions. For me personally it got to the point where there were too many things I didn't agree with or had doubts on, it was a gradual progression. I pretty much left Catholicism officially in my early twenties. At 31, I am now agnostic.

i would agree with this also. I would tend to lean that the catholic religion at this point is the more traditional of the religions then saying being jewish or morman.

The older I have gotten the more disagreeing i have been doing. But there are still things that I do believe in. But I don't want to make this about religion because that can be a touchy subject.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,039

Post#122 » by GONYK » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:51 pm

GoodAzzGame_NYK wrote:
Knicker23 wrote:No sane person would go to such lengths to cover up being gay. Hell, it would have been easier and more convincing for him to find some groupie after a game and bring her home / drag her around for a few weeks than this... Or do nothing.

If anything, I think he's guilty of trying to stir up a "heartwarming" "inspirational" story about himself for recognition... Whether he wanted people to talk about him, thought it'd help his Heismen chances with this story of triumph circulating etc.

But even that, I think came after he was initially hoaxed into this... Not something he set off to create himself with that endgame in mind.

i don't by the "heartwarming" "inspirational" story because he created this fake person his sophomore year. That was well before he was a dominant college player and well known throughout college as one of the best players. It wasn't until this year that he finally started playing as one of the best defensive players in college football. Before he was just a good player on Notre Dame...she was created 2 whole years prior to that.

That just doesn't make any sense.

I also don't buy that a college football player stays faithful to a girl he's never met.

And why would his father say that he spoke to this girl on the phone?
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#123 » by MaseInYourFace » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:53 pm

Maybe his lover is this Tuissasopo guy. Who knows?
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
MaseInYourFace
RealGM

Post#124 » by MaseInYourFace » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:55 pm

Sh** is craaayyyy

Sports story of the year so far...
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
NYKinMIA
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,989

Post#125 » by NYKinMIA » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:00 pm

MaseInYourFace wrote:Maybe his lover is this Tuissasopo guy. Who knows?

That's actually mentioned on page 1 of this thread...wouldn't doubt it.
guardplay320
Bench Warmer
And1: 101

Post#126 » by guardplay320 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:02 pm

MaseInYourFace wrote:Catholic religion is funny like that. People stick around with it more so due to tradition because if they are that religious there is probably a better fit within the broader spectrum of Christian relgions. For me personally it got to the point where there were too many things I didn't agree with or had doubts on, it was a gradual progression. I pretty much left Catholicism officially in my early twenties. At 31, I am now agnostic.

A good portion of Jews are the same way with Judaism, sticking with it mainly because of tradition and to please their parents/grandparents.
Knicks_Fan2
RealGM
And1: 4,648

Post#127 » by Knicks_Fan2 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:04 pm

From a ND student:

The debate among teammates wasn’t whether or not Manti actually knew this girl — it was clear that they had been in contact; no, players just didn’t think that it was fair to call Lennay Kekua Manti’s girlfriend, period (it is well-known on campus that he has had relations with other girls during his time at Notre Dame). They recognized what was going on for what it was — a terrible publicity stunt used to fuel Manti Te’o’s Heisman campaign. In fact, many of the players privately commented that they didn’t want the students to wear leis in support of Manti and wouldn’t participate themselves — they cited that the team never responded so publicly to tragic events for other players. But there was also the feeling that Manti didn’t deserve to benefit from publicity from the death of somebody he barely knew

http://www.thebiglead.com/index.php/201 ... -going-on/
JohnStarksTheDunk
General Manager
And1: 2,008

Post#128 » by JohnStarksTheDunk » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:05 pm

GONYK wrote:
I also don't buy that a college football player stays faithful to a girl he's never met.

And why would his father say that he spoke to this girl on the phone?

I absolutely agree with your first sentence.

As for the second, I'm sure the argument that Te'o and/or ND are making is that he was too embarrassed about "dating" a girl that he had never met or talked to, so he (and others) lied and said that they had met and talked on the phone. Of course, none of this holds up to logic anyway, because of your first point. There's no way that he would choose an online relationship with a woman he's never met or even talked to, over the multitude of tail that was constantly available to him.
guardplay320
Bench Warmer
And1: 101

Post#129 » by guardplay320 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:38 pm

Knicks_Fan2 wrote:From a ND student:

The debate among teammates wasn’t whether or not Manti actually knew this girl — it was clear that they had been in contact; no, players just didn’t think that it was fair to call Lennay Kekua Manti’s girlfriend, period (it is well-known on campus that he has had relations with other girls during his time at Notre Dame). They recognized what was going on for what it was — a terrible publicity stunt used to fuel Manti Te’o’s Heisman campaign. In fact, many of the players privately commented that they didn’t want the students to wear leis in support of Manti and wouldn’t participate themselves — they cited that the team never responded so publicly to tragic events for other players. But there was also the feeling that Manti didn’t deserve to benefit from publicity from the death of somebody he barely knew

So let me get this straight - he was victim of a hoax and thought the girl was real, but barely had any relationship with her and exaggerated the entire situation just to help his Heisman hopes? In reality, the girl was a fake and whoever was behind this tricked him into thinking she really died and he played it up from there? The pieces are pretty sketchy still, especially the part about his dad's accounts (unless he was trying to play good Mormon kid to his parents and exaggerated the situation with them too).
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,493

Post#130 » by j4remi » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:00 pm

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but deadspin now has a piece about some guy tweeting the details of this story a month ago...and only now being validated. Even implied Tuiasosopu (can't spell it not bothering to try hard or look it up) was involved.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
Sky_Knicks
Banned User
And1: 419

Post#131 » by Sky_Knicks » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:13 pm

mpharris' theory about Teo being gay seemed the most logical to me before I read this

Now I'm confused. I have no idea what's going on. Because you guys are still right about the fact that he created this hoax before he was well known and in the running for the heisman.
Huey Freeman
General Manager
And1: 878

Post#132 » by Huey Freeman » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:22 pm

If he only knew her online, who informed Manti that she actually died? Let's contact the person that told him that his girlfriend died. How did that person know how to contact Manti?

The Samoan FB on the Cardinals said he knew of this girl and that the both of them were real cool with each other. So is this chick really dead? Did this NFL player attend the funeral since he knew her and they were so cool?

But back to the original point, who else knew this chick AND knew Manti in order to even tell him that she died? :dontknow:
Revolution starts in the mind...
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#133 » by mpharris36 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:23 pm

Sky_Knicks wrote:mpharris' theory about Teo being gay seemed the most logical to me before I read this

Now I'm confused. I have no idea what's going on. Because you guys are still right about the fact that he created this hoax before he was well known and in the running for the heisman.

I still don't buy it...time will tell though. Why hasn't any girl come forward over the 3 years as a publicity stunt and say that Teo and her hooked up or slept together and that he was cheating on lennay?

Not one attention seeking girl would spill the beans? I think no one came forward because he didn't have a relationship with a girl a ND. Why have no pictures surfaced...with todays social media everyone has crazy pictures. There are even scandalous pictures with Tebow (Jesus).

I am not refuting the ND students article but its seems like a lot more speculcation than fact.

ROSTER

MaseInYourFace
RealGM

Post#134 » by MaseInYourFace » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:29 pm

Here is that complete article for that excerpt referenced in Deadspin, supposedly it's the account of a ND student...

http://collegespun.com/big-east/notre-d ... PguzqGjegP
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#135 » by mpharris36 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:36 pm

Huey Freeman wrote:If he only knew her online, who informed Manti that she actually died? Let's contact the person that told him that his girlfriend died. How did that person know how to contact Manti?

The Samoan FB on the Cardinals said he knew of this girl and that the both of them were real cool with each other. So is this chick really dead? Did this NFL player attend the funeral since he knew her and they were so cool?

But back to the original point, who else knew this chick AND knew Manti in order to even tell him that she died? :dontknow:

I think its been astablished that she isn't real. No SS records, no record attending Stanford, no record in the Hospital.

Even Teo has admitted that there was a hoax but he was a victim.

Now the question is, why was this elaborate hoax created....for what reason...

ROSTER

yaboynyp
Assistant Coach
And1: 206

Post#136 » by yaboynyp » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:47 pm

mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#137 » by mpharris36 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:57 pm

yaboynyp wrote:Image

ROSTER

Red Vines
RealGM
And1: 8,575

Post#138 » by Red Vines » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:07 pm

Best explanation so far--Te'o casually knew this fake online person and when "her" story became tragic it became useful for him to exaggerate the extent of the relationship.
Huey Freeman
General Manager
And1: 878

Post#139 » by Huey Freeman » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:08 pm

GoodAzzGame_NYK wrote:
Huey Freeman wrote:If he only knew her online, who informed Manti that she actually died? Let's contact the person that told him that his girlfriend died. How did that person know how to contact Manti?

I think its been established that she isn't real. No SS records, no record attending Stanford, no record in the Hospital.

Even Teo has admitted that there was a hoax but he was a victim.

Now the question is, why was this elaborate hoax created....for what reason...

:wink: I know that...I posed my initial question in the context that SHOULD have been raised by reporters when initially covering this story.
Revolution starts in the mind...
Appleshampoo
Sixth Man
And1: 899

Post#140 » by Appleshampoo » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:28 pm

This random full back saying he knew her makes me somewhat have no idea wtf is going on

Return to New York Knicks