ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: ND's Te'o may be a fraud

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

seren
RealGM
And1: 4,188

Re: OT: ND's Te'o may be a fraud 

Post#161 » by seren » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:41 pm

Knicker23 wrote:I have begun to shift from thinking he was hoaxed and got sucked in, did some lying/embellishing... To questioning whether there was ever a girl he claims he was talking to to begin with.... Mostly because of the info coming back about the dude that was behind the Twitter account of the "girlfriend" .. A dude Te'o knows...

And it got me to thinking... So this dude's behind the Twitter, is he behind the "phone calls" too? Was there some girl tasked with that part of the scam? So you're telling me some girl out there signed up for being the voice on the phone for, perhaps hours a day, in this scam? I find that really hard to believe.... And even if Te'o is embellishing that they talked often, or 4 hours a night as he said.... He surely talked to this woman enough times that he called her his "girlfriend" ... that he got that emotionally attached etc etc.... And that all just makes less and less sense.... I suppose there's a small chance that he massively embellished the amount he knew this girl.. and had talked to her maybe 5 times on the phone... here and there etc... But even that, just sounds very unlikely... no matter how you look at it.

So if i'm weighing the options here it's: 1) Te'o was in on it, for some reason, with the dude who is supposedly behind the GF twitter account.... 2) The dude that was behind the Twitter account was one of the perps... And that there was a girl assigned to talking to him constantly.. and they were in constant cohorts etc about info, what to say, and conducted sophisticated hoax, each doing there parts..... 3) Te'o over embellished extent of knowing girl... but there was in fact a girl that he talked to a few times / he was hoaxed to some extent and then made some lies of his own on top of it...

Right now, i'm starting to lean towards 1)

I like option 3. To me it makes most sense. He was contacted by this girl who said she was dying. He wanted to help so talked to her. It is even possible the girl suggested she loves him so much and she wants to be known as his girlfriend. He went along with it maybe in good intentions. At the same time, he realized it helps with his image, so he made it public and exaggerated the relationship perhaps at the instruction of the "dying" girl. He might have thought it would help him with his image or score some points with the local girls who would sympathize.
Grinditout
RealGM
And1: 2,349

Post#162 » by Grinditout » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:42 pm

You guys really think this will significantly affect his draft stock?

Yeah, it's weird but it wasn't really anything illegal or violent/aggressive...
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#163 » by MaseInYourFace » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:44 pm

Nah, check out Raissman's article in the daily news today and there are also other ones out there on the web that make it pretty clear he was in on it. Just too many deliberate actions by not just him but his father also. Also lots of contradictions. I think people want to believe he was like this big dumb naive kid but it doesn't jive...
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#164 » by MaseInYourFace » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:47 pm

Grinditout wrote:You guys really think this will significantly affect his draft stock?

Yeah, it's weird but it wasn't really anything illegal or violent/aggressive...

It depends. The teams that were thinking of drafting him in the 1st are going to really focus on this during their interviews. Right now he's being prepped by IMG. I don't agree with their tactic of hiding out. I thought he would have been better served coming completely clean. I think with this it's a lock he'll be available at 9 where the Jets pick but the Jets with all their other drama would be smart to avoid the pick.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
Jetset
RealGM
And1: 162

Post#165 » by Jetset » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:40 pm

the only way i can see the "i got duped" story actually being viable is if te'o had no knowledge of ronaiah tuiasosopo, the person who by all accounts is definitely involved in it. but he and te'o are friends and know each other in real life. so you mean to tell me that this guy got hoaxed for 3 years by someone that's in his own social circle, whom he hangs out with in real life? yeh, alright. i may have been born two days ago but it certainly wasn't yesterday.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 41,811

Post#166 » by GONYK » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:48 pm

seren wrote:
Knicker23 wrote:I have begun to shift from thinking he was hoaxed and got sucked in, did some lying/embellishing... To questioning whether there was ever a girl he claims he was talking to to begin with.... Mostly because of the info coming back about the dude that was behind the Twitter account of the "girlfriend" .. A dude Te'o knows...

And it got me to thinking... So this dude's behind the Twitter, is he behind the "phone calls" too? Was there some girl tasked with that part of the scam? So you're telling me some girl out there signed up for being the voice on the phone for, perhaps hours a day, in this scam? I find that really hard to believe.... And even if Te'o is embellishing that they talked often, or 4 hours a night as he said.... He surely talked to this woman enough times that he called her his "girlfriend" ... that he got that emotionally attached etc etc.... And that all just makes less and less sense.... I suppose there's a small chance that he massively embellished the amount he knew this girl.. and had talked to her maybe 5 times on the phone... here and there etc... But even that, just sounds very unlikely... no matter how you look at it.

So if i'm weighing the options here it's: 1) Te'o was in on it, for some reason, with the dude who is supposedly behind the GF twitter account.... 2) The dude that was behind the Twitter account was one of the perps... And that there was a girl assigned to talking to him constantly.. and they were in constant cohorts etc about info, what to say, and conducted sophisticated hoax, each doing there parts..... 3) Te'o over embellished extent of knowing girl... but there was in fact a girl that he talked to a few times / he was hoaxed to some extent and then made some lies of his own on top of it...

Right now, i'm starting to lean towards 1)

I like option 3. To me it makes most sense. He was contacted by this girl who said she was dying. He wanted to help so talked to her. It is even possible the girl suggested she loves him so much and she wants to be known as his girlfriend. He went along with it maybe in good intentions. At the same time, he realized it helps with his image, so he made it public and exaggerated the relationship perhaps at the instruction of the "dying" girl. He might have thought it would help him with his image or score some points with the local girls who would sympathize.

Uhh... No

He's had a twitter relationship with this "girl" for 2 years. Long before she was supposedly dying and it was beneficial to him for media coverage.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2
Vertical Limit
RealGM
And1: 5,361

Post#167 » by Vertical Limit » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:55 pm

It will hurt his draft stock, even one NFL executive has said they draft criminals all the time but not liars.

Not to mention he was a ghost against real NFL talent in Alabama. His play reminds me of Channing Crowder. That's just garbage.

I do feel bad for Te'o a bit - he's in a very uncomfortable and embarrassing spot at the moment. I mean I would be if I were in his position. He may even be borderline suicidal and the media just keeps piling on, dissecting this story more and more.

By the way Tuiasosopo auditioned for The Voice apparently and used a sob story about being in a car accident too, guess he wanted to earn some pity points to advance to the next round. Sort of like Te'o trying to win a Heisman centered around his girlfriend and grandmother's death.
seren
RealGM
And1: 4,188

Post#168 » by seren » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:56 pm

GONYK wrote:
seren wrote:

Uhh... No

He's had a twitter relationship with this "girl" for 2 years. Long before she was supposedly dying and it was beneficial to him for media coverage.

What I am saying is: Isn't it possible that he didn't have a relationship with this "girl" for 2 years? That rather this "girl" contacted him few times in that time period saying she is sick and she needs some kind of support. Think of it as a sick kid asking attention from an athlete. So he went along with it, but there really wasn't a whole lot of communication to begin with. But later on she said she was dying and asked for more attention, asking him to marry her and whatnot and he figured he was helping her but at the same time he realized he is getting attention from it so he went along.

Note that I don't know the whole story from the beginning so I might have completely misunderstood it, but it does sound like the media coverage didn't come until she was dying, correct?
Knicker23
General Manager
And1: 139

Post#169 » by Knicker23 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:04 pm

So question then, is why would he have been behind it for so long before it was doing anything for his image... You mean to say they had this so planned out in advance that they actually dedicated most of the time to cultivate this "relationship" as being a real with the eventual goal of some sort of inspirational tragic death around Heismen time being the point of it all? That seems a little too well planned to have been the way it happened.. Though if that The Voice thing is true, perhaps it was the intention.... Just seems like a lot of effort to maintain this "relationship" for years, one in which didn't really do anything for you... all for it to perfectly fall into place with these stories of inspiration. Maybe i'm underestimating the effort they put into thinking into this..
Knicker23
General Manager
And1: 139

Post#170 » by Knicker23 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:15 pm

^ I'd say that's somewhat plausible.. He was "hoaxed" into 'meeting' this girl.. she immediately went all out with these stories of struggle to captivate him.. He fell for it... talked to her every now and then...became "close" .. elaborated extent of it all when telling the story to media - though it was grounded in some sort of truth...

I'd say that's possible... However the lengths that he went to to "elaborate" it all -- flowers, hours a night on the phone, not mentioning he never met her / video chatted... it shows that he's a great liar, while expecting us to believe he was naive / innocent enough himself not to know what was happening to him... That's not a combo that makes much sense... You can't be smart enough to dupe an entire media by omissions and exaggerations, and then claim "I was had... I never knew...I was too innocent to question" -- doesn't make sense.
Jetset
RealGM

Post#171 » by Jetset » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:45 pm

i'll just re-quote:
destro wrote:the only way i can see the "i got duped" story actually being viable is if te'o had no knowledge of ronaiah tuiasosopo, the person who by all accounts is definitely involved in it. but he and te'o are friends and know each other in real life. so you mean to tell me that this guy got hoaxed for 3 years by someone that's in his own social circle, whom he hangs out with in real life? yeh, alright. i may have been born two days ago but it certainly wasn't yesterday.

he personally knows the guy that is apparently behind hoaxing him. they've tweeted each other and apparently there may be some pics of them together somewhere. so either that guy is the worst friend/acquaintance of all time or something's being covered up.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 41,811

Post#172 » by GONYK » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:57 pm

destro wrote:i'll just re-quote:
destro wrote:the only way i can see the "i got duped" story actually being viable is if te'o had no knowledge of ronaiah tuiasosopo, the person who by all accounts is definitely involved in it. but he and te'o are friends and know each other in real life. so you mean to tell me that this guy got hoaxed for 3 years by someone that's in his own social circle, whom he hangs out with in real life? yeh, alright. i may have been born two days ago but it certainly wasn't yesterday.

he personally knows the guy that is apparently behind hoaxing him. they've tweeted each other and apparently there may be some pics of them together somewhere. so either that guy is the worst friend/acquaintance of all time or something's being covered up.

Te'o has referred to that guy as a brother, and had him as a guest for the USC game

don't panac
Analyst
And1: 660

Post#173 » by don't panac » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:04 pm

he was in a relationship with the other guy, but being religious, mormon, at ND, in the football team made it impossible for them to make it public because of outside pressure.

they made up the girl initially so they could have a 'normal' social-network relationship without them being gay being obvious, and to provide a shield against questioning on why he wouldn't take advantage of his star position at ND to date girls.

eventually they came to the realization it was an unsustainable position and/or decide to get something out of it (publicity, support, etc.), and went for the cancer death angle. which eventually blew up in his face as it should.

the sad part of the above scenario is that it all stems from some people prejudice a their inability to accept people for who they are.

plus, whatever is the truth behind this story, te'o is clearly not a very smart person.
N8isScofield
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,498

Post#174 » by N8isScofield » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:25 pm

Because it's criminal for this image to exist and not be posted in this thread on this forum:

mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 99,447

Post#175 » by mpharris36 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:28 pm

don't panac wrote:he was in a relationship with the other guy, but being religious, mormon, at ND, in the football team made it impossible for them to make it public because of outside pressure.

they made up the girl initially so they could have a 'normal' social-network relationship without them being gay being obvious, and to provide a shield against questioning on why he wouldn't take advantage of his star position at ND to date girls.

eventually they came to the realization it was an unsustainable position and/or decide to get something out of it (publicity, support, etc.), and went for the cancer death angle. which eventually blew up in his face as it should.

the sad part of the above scenario is that it all stems from some people prejudice a their inability to accept people for who they are.

plus, whatever is the truth behind this story, te'o is clearly not a very smart person.

CO-RRECT

B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
Falstaffxx
Banned User
And1: 165

Post#176 » by Falstaffxx » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:41 pm

Knicker23 wrote:^ I'd say that's somewhat plausible.. He was "hoaxed" into 'meeting' this girl.. she immediately went all out with these stories of struggle to captivate him.. He fell for it... talked to her every now and then...became "close" .. elaborated extent of it all when telling the story to media - though it was grounded in some sort of truth...

I'd say that's possible... However the lengths that he went to to "elaborate" it all -- flowers, hours a night on the phone, not mentioning he never met her / video chatted... it shows that he's a great liar, while expecting us to believe he was naive / innocent enough himself not to know what was happening to him... That's not a combo that makes much sense... You can't be smart enough to dupe an entire media by omissions and exaggerations, and then claim "I was had... I never knew...I was too innocent to question" -- doesn't make sense.

Yeah he clearly lied in order to get sympathy, publicity, whatever. Even if he wasn't in on the initial hoax, he's a manipulative ass.
Daaaarryyl
Starter
And1: 502
Location: Eddie's house wondering why he wants to get me and Dave drunk.

Post#177 » by Daaaarryyl » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:00 pm

I'm now not so sure that he's gay as based on that piece a few pages back he's slept around with women on campus and there's a new report that he's been seen with a new girl recently. Then again maybe he's bi and that dude is his 'secret' lover :dontknow:
Bulls69 wrote:The think about the Bulls we realizes we sucks but the Knicks on the other hand think everyone wants to play a garbage a** team. get real a team who has not won a win in over thirty -five years

Less Bulls, MORE books!!
Jetset
RealGM

Post#178 » by Jetset » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:45 pm

Daaaarryyl wrote:I'm now not so sure that he's gay as based on that piece a few pages back he's slept around with women on campus and there's a new report that he's been seen with a new girl recently. Then again maybe he's bi and that dude is his 'secret' lover :dontknow:

that's because he's not.

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/collegesp ... z2IMFKZGl9

Manti Te’o’s rebound girl was very much real.
Te’o quietly began dating an actual female shortly after the supposed death of his online faux girlfriend, according to a TMZ report.
The Notre Dame linebacker met Alexandra del Pilar, a 21-year-old student at St. Mary’s College in Indiana, the weekend of Nov. 10, when his team played Boston College, sources close to Te’o told the website.
The two dated for almost two months before breaking up recently.
According to her LinkedIn page, del Pilar, a beautiful exotic-looking brunette, is a communications and public relations/advertising major at St. Mary's, an all-women's school which is less than three miles from Notre Dame.
Del Pilar was nominated in November as “Belle of the Year” at St. Mary’s, a prestigious title, according to the Notre Dame St. Mary’s College Observer. St. Mary’s school nickname is the Belles.
Her friend, Christina Boesler, said she nominated her because “Alex is the perfect example of a Belle who has embraced the community of St. Mary’s and has challenged herself and her fears to make a difference in the world.”
Te’o’s knockout said she was “extremely flattered” when she found out she was nominated.
“It just makes me happy that someone thinks highly of me and is willing to honor my work in this way,” del Pilar told the Observer.
Te’o’s fake online girlfriend, Lennay Kekua, supposedly died of leukemia in September, depending on the report. Deadspin reported Wednesday that Kekua never actually existed.
Te’o’s narrative – losing his grandmother and “girlfriend” within 24 hours of each other and then going on to have an amazing season – was the feel-good story of the fall.

i believe manti's story is that the love of his life died on october 15th, he's a pretty strong guy if it only took him 3 weeks to get over her. i'd definitely take him in the 1st round.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 99,447

Post#179 » by mpharris36 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:54 pm

destro wrote:
Daaaarryyl wrote:I'm now not so sure that he's gay as based on that piece a few pages back he's slept around with women on campus and there's a new report that he's been seen with a new girl recently. Then again maybe he's bi and that dude is his 'secret' lover :dontknow:

that's because he's not.

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/collegesp ... z2IMFKZGl9

Manti Te’o’s rebound girl was very much real.
Te’o quietly began dating an actual female shortly after the supposed death of his online faux girlfriend, according to a TMZ report.
The Notre Dame linebacker met Alexandra del Pilar, a 21-year-old student at St. Mary’s College in Indiana, the weekend of Nov. 10, when his team played Boston College, sources close to Te’o told the website.
The two dated for almost two months before breaking up recently.
According to her LinkedIn page, del Pilar, a beautiful exotic-looking brunette, is a communications and public relations/advertising major at St. Mary's, an all-women's school which is less than three miles from Notre Dame.
Del Pilar was nominated in November as “Belle of the Year” at St. Mary’s, a prestigious title, according to the Notre Dame St. Mary’s College Observer. St. Mary’s school nickname is the Belles.
Her friend, Christina Boesler, said she nominated her because “Alex is the perfect example of a Belle who has embraced the community of St. Mary’s and has challenged herself and her fears to make a difference in the world.”
Te’o’s knockout said she was “extremely flattered” when she found out she was nominated.
“It just makes me happy that someone thinks highly of me and is willing to honor my work in this way,” del Pilar told the Observer.
Te’o’s fake online girlfriend, Lennay Kekua, supposedly died of leukemia in September, depending on the report. Deadspin reported Wednesday that Kekua never actually existed.
Te’o’s narrative – losing his grandmother and “girlfriend” within 24 hours of each other and then going on to have an amazing season – was the feel-good story of the fall.

i believe manti's story is that the love of his life died on october 15th, he's a pretty strong guy if it only took him 3 weeks to get over her. i'd definitely take him in the 1st round.

I think his public perception could be hurt even worse if it was just a made up story to drum up sympathy and support. He wont be drafted if thats the case.

I mean i think he will have some support if he was gay and he was just nervous about how the public perception would be of a morman going to Notre Dame feared about coming out to the public. That makes more sense.

If he just made this **** up for sh*ts and giggles i hope every team colludes not to pick this clown in the upcoming draft.

*Also I can't believe the girl above was giong out with him for 2 months and there is not one picture of them going out together...today with camera phones and media alll over the place there has to be some evidents that this 2 month relationship occured...otherwise it could just be another fake situation about a girl trying to get attention.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 49,266

Post#180 » by Deeeez Knicks » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:56 pm

This is like a plot out of an over the top romantic comedy movie. Adam Sandler is already working on the script.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce

Return to New York Knicks