ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: ND's Te'o may be a fraud

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,105

Re: OT: ND's Te'o may be a fraud 

Post#81 » by moocow007 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:11 pm

seren wrote:
moocow007 wrote:
Sprewell4Three wrote:I don't think this story is that much of a big deal ...

I think its getting more attention then it should be

If this was the guy that works in your mailroom at work, yes, it would just be laughed off and not be a big deal. But when Teo's posse (with the help of all too willing to believe national media) has been trying to exploit this as a selling point for the Mante Te'o brand, it becomes a big deal. Not only does it give a black eye to everyone involved, with the conflicting chatter it puts into question the integrity of those who perpetuated this and possibly the mental stability and moral character of a guy that some teams would be investing millions upon millions to to play in front of millions and millions of people. Consider that Te'o has received huge huge outpouring of genuine support from his fans about this. With this revelation each and every one of them basically just got slapped right across their respective faces.

The only party that benefited from this was ND football. I am pretty much sure this young guy made zero cents from this whole ordeal.

But what he stands to do is to make millions in endorsements had this been sustainable once he is actually allowed to make money. The fluff also could have influenced teams to draft him higher than maybe the next guy because it could be marketed as such. Yes, I don't believe college players are allowed to make money from their endeavors but it's really the beyond that's the issue as well as the other stuff I said about character and proverbial slapping all your fans and supporters in their respective faces.
blue and orange
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,010

Post#82 » by blue and orange » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:16 pm

Exactly which is why I dont understand why ND is calling this a tragedy really a tragedy. With everything going on in this country lately this is a tragedy, an unfortunate event sure but a tragedy? Would this be a big deal if this were a ND student who was a recluse. So this incident is a bigger deal to ND then the rapping and suicide of a girl on campus, or the death of a student manager that occurred on the ND football teams watch. ND football talks up alot of their standards but they are just like every other SEC school or any other program, Penn State talked up how they have such high standards how did that turn out.
blue and orange
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,010

Post#83 » by blue and orange » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:18 pm

Exactly which is why I dont understand why ND is calling this a tragedy really a tragedy. With everything going on in this country lately this is a tragedy, an unfortunate event sure but a tragedy? Would this be a big deal if this were a ND student who was a recluse. So this incident is a bigger deal to ND then the rapping and suicide of a girl on campus, or the death of a student manager that occurred on the ND football teams watch. ND football talks up alot of their standards but they are just like every other SEC school or any other program, Penn State talked up how they have such high standards how did that turn out.
seren
RealGM
And1: 4,207

Post#84 » by seren » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:25 pm

moocow007 wrote:
But what he stands to do is to make millions in endorsements had this been sustainable once he is actually allowed to make money. The fluff also could have influenced teams to draft him higher than maybe the next guy because it could be marketed as such. Yes, I don't believe college players are allowed to make money from their endeavors but it's really the beyond that's the issue as well as the other stuff I said about character and proverbial slapping all your fans and supporters in their respective faces.

My point is none of that happened. If he was drafted higher for this, that would be the teams' problem, not the general public. Had he written a book or become the face of the whatever cause it might be, I would have had a problem with that. But those didn't happen, so I find it kind of irrelevant at this point. Definitely not at the level of Lance Armstrong.
Knicker23
General Manager
And1: 139

Post#85 » by Knicker23 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:28 pm

Sounds to me like he lied by omission and exaggerated extent of "relationship"... didn't expect much to come of it.. The media blew the story up and put it center stage (as you would expect them to do w a story like that... ) ... At some point, he figured he was too deep into it to clarify, perhaps thought 'hey, this could actually help my image'... so he strung it along.. Probably convinced himself it'd go away sooner or later and they'd stop asking so just go with it for a little longer... Hoping it doesn't blow up in his face.

So I think he was hoaxed.. but he clearly took the liberty to omit the extent of relationship to make the story sound better than it was.... saw no need to clarify anything... And probably wouldn't have ever come forward had this story not broken, despite what Notre Dame would tell you now....

So while these people hoaxed him... He was lying to the public about extent of his "girlfriend" from the beginning anyway... If he's smart enough to omit all these facets of "relationship" and push the story the way he did... he's smart enough to know this "girlfriend" he has never met/seen probably isn't real...Doesn't really go both ways.. Can't claim to be purely hoaxed and dumbfounded, yet clearly lying about it to public regardless.
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,894

Post#86 » by nykballa2k4 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:34 pm

seren wrote:
moocow007 wrote:

My point is none of that happened. If he was drafted higher for this, that would be the teams' problem, not the general public. Had he written a book or become the face of the whatever cause it might be, I would have had a problem with that. But those didn't happen, so I find it kind of irrelevant at this point. Definitely not at the level of Lance Armstrong.

I think it is newsworthy because it is so obscure. For a mailroom clerk it would be less of a story, because we assume no stature of that person, but for a football player with all of the social capital in the world... this is out of the realm of possibility.

Who seriously dates a girl without meeting her first?

As for the football side of it: ND wanted to hush it because the higher Teo is drafted, the better the school looks.

Teo is a player with fairly good potential, so if this hurts his stock, some opportunistic team will be in a lot of luck.

Ron Artest may be crazy, but man has a ring.
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#87 » by MaseInYourFace » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:43 pm

Sky_Knicks wrote:I'm not sure whether or not he was in on the hoax. But there's something I don't understand.

He's not 75 years old.....he knows about today's technology.....(video chatting). WHO THE F*** dates someone virtually for that long a time without saying "hey, do u have a Skype ? I'm in the mood to see ur face right now". This makes me very suspicious of him. Doesn't make any sense.

Cuz he was in on it...

The story strikes me because I feel like he had absolutely no need to do this unless he felt the Heisman was that important for his career. He was going to go high in the draft regardless.

Another thing is we should all realize that many athletes/celebrities do this to varying degrees. They hype up their charity work or try to exploit tragedy for their own gain. I think the reason this is so intriguing is because it touches upon a lot of different cultural factors like social media and the internet to name a few...
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,476

Post#88 » by mpharris36 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:43 pm

nykballa2k4 wrote:I am really confused.

I mean, the other player saying he met a fictional character...

What purpose has this gf served all along? Like in the beginning was she just a "nah man, I can't hook up with these girls cuz I am dating this hottie from home" or were there actual exchanges of emotion and such?

I guess Teo being a homosexual would add up because the relationship would cover a need. Teo probably realized the the pics he had been showing off to his friends might look familiar if the real version of this girl were to do things. So he had to "end" it. He could have done it quietly though, after a couple years of this going on "yea, this isn't working out" but then his guys probably would want him going back out there and "playing the field"

this

i mean what other explination can be made?

He is either a psycho leaning on schizophrenic or he is gay.

It makes sense, being a gay football player would have been a huge story and Im not sure would have been accepted. He would of had to deal with all this media pressure and probably didn't want to deal with it.

What better way to keep people off your back about being gay then being in a "long distance relationship" for your entire college career. Then instead of breaking up with her (which people would expect you to play the field and go out with your boys and meet women) you kill her off so that people feel bad for you and dont have to go out and meet new women.

its the only plausable situation.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
Red Vines
RealGM
And1: 8,575

Post#89 » by Red Vines » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:45 pm

I think we'll know the truth soon because if Teo was in on it the other guy will not take the fall for it by himself. Teo needs the guy to tell in detail how he pulled off the supposed hoax for people to really believe him, let's see if that happens.
MaseInYourFace
RealGM

Post#90 » by MaseInYourFace » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:48 pm

Sky_Knicks wrote:I'm not sure whether or not he was in on the hoax. But there's something I don't understand.

He's not 75 years old.....he knows about today's technology.....(video chatting). WHO THE F*** dates someone virtually for that long a time without saying "hey, do u have a Skype ? I'm in the mood to see ur face right now". This makes me very suspicious of him. Doesn't make any sense.

Cuz he was in on it...

The story strikes me because I feel like he had absolutely no need to do this unless he felt the Heisman was that important for his career. He was going to go high in the draft regardless.

Another thing is we should all realize that many athletes/celebrities do this to varying degrees. They hype up their charity work or try to exploit tragedy for their own gain. I think the reason this is so intriguing is because it touches upon a lot of different cultural factors like social media and the internet to name a few...
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
Knicker23
General Manager

Post#91 » by Knicker23 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:50 pm

The hoax was real. He didn't make up that there was an actual girl on the other line. He simply kept secret, from everyone, the fact that he never truly met this person face to face.... Probably because he was too embarrassed... So he made up "oh yeah dude I met her after xyz" so that it wouldn't seem strange....

Then after a while you have to think he realized perhaps what was going on... etc... And THEN took it upon him self to perpetuate the lie.... Not clarify the "details" of relationship... etc etc.. And worse, continued lying about how he never really met her etc.

He didn't make this up as a cover for being gay... Nor did he make up the girl on the other end of the phone... There were real people that were **** with him... He simply didn't reveal the "details" of it being type of thing where he has never actually met the person -- as you could probably imagine, would be embarrassing... It's just bizarre that it went from something he lied about and kept quiet because he was embarrassed - to something he wanted the world to know and shout it from the roof tops.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#92 » by mpharris36 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:53 pm

Knicker23 wrote:The hoax was real. He didn't make up that there was an actual girl on the other line. He simply kept secret, from everyone, the fact that he never truly met this person face to face.... Probably because he was too embarrassed... So he made up "oh yeah dude I met her after xyz" so that it wouldn't seem strange....

Then after a while you have to think he realized perhaps what was going on... etc... And THEN took it upon him self to perpetuate the lie.... Not clarify the "details" of relationship... etc etc.. And worse, continued lying about how he never really met her etc.

He didn't make this up as a cover for being gay... Nor did he make up the girl on the other end of the phone... There were real people that were **** with him... He simply didn't reveal the "details" of it being type of thing where he has never actually met the person -- as you could probably imagine, would be embarrassing... It's just bizarre that it went from something he lied about and kept quiet because he was embarrassed - to something he wanted the world to know and shout it from the roof tops.

there is no other legitimate reason other than this though...

ROSTER

NYKinMIA
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,989

Post#93 » by NYKinMIA » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:55 pm

kane2021 wrote:This is big news huh? Lance Armstrong must be PISSED.

I wouldn't doubt it, his ego is bigger than his ball.
MaseInYourFace
RealGM

Post#94 » by MaseInYourFace » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:00 pm

GoodAzzGame_NYK wrote:
Knicker23 wrote:The hoax was real. He didn't make up that there was an actual girl on the other line. He simply kept secret, from everyone, the fact that he never truly met this person face to face.... Probably because he was too embarrassed... So he made up "oh yeah dude I met her after xyz" so that it wouldn't seem strange....

Why go through all that trouble to cover up being gay? It seems ridiculous to me. Okay one thing is making up the fake girlfriend but then having her die tragically on top of it. He could have just as easily just "been alone", some people might have found it odd that a famous young guy like him didn't have a girlfriend but it wouldn't have gone past that.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Knicker23
General Manager

Post#95 » by Knicker23 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:02 pm

No sane person would go to such lengths to cover up being gay. Hell, it would have been easier and more convincing for him to find some groupie after a game and bring her home / drag her around for a few weeks than this... Or do nothing.

If anything, I think he's guilty of trying to stir up a "heartwarming" "inspirational" story about himself for recognition... Whether he wanted people to talk about him, thought it'd help his Heismen chances with this story of triumph circulating etc.

But even that, I think came after he was initially hoaxed into this... Not something he set off to create himself with that endgame in mind.
MaseInYourFace
RealGM

Post#96 » by MaseInYourFace » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:04 pm

We won't really know the truth unless he opens up about it. Mike and Mike are idiots. I can't believe people listen to that drivel. ND is just trying to make the story go away and protect their image.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#97 » by mpharris36 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:08 pm

MaseInYourFace wrote:
GoodAzzGame_NYK wrote:

Why go through all that trouble to cover up being gay? It seems ridiculous to me. Okay one thing is making up the fake girlfriend but then having her die tragically on top of it. He could have just as easily just "been alone", some people might have found it odd that a famous young guy like him didn't have a girlfriend but it wouldn't have gone past that.

Because unfortunetely it is not accepted that male athlete especially a football player in a team contact sport is allowed to be gay. The pressure and attention that story would have gotten would have been enormous and maybe he wasn't ready to deal with that.

every opponent he plays would be asked these questions and it would be a sh*tstorm for him and now would he own teammates be comfortable playing and sharing a lockerroom with him? There is a reason the men and women sports don't share lockerrooms.

Its the perfect cover up. You say you are in a "long distance relationship"...no one will question him. You know for a fact he could not go around saying he was dating anyone and that he liked being alone if he was gay. That story would come out to easily.

Enough girls probably threw themselves at Teo in school...he then created up a fake girlfriend to give him a reason not to do anything with those girls...it just makes too much sense...no other explination fits IMO unless he is a loony

ROSTER

mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#98 » by mpharris36 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:10 pm

Knicker23 wrote:No sane person would go to such lengths to cover up being gay. Hell, it would have been easier and more convincing for him to find some groupie after a game and bring her home / drag her around for a few weeks than this... Or do nothing.

If anything, I think he's guilty of trying to stir up a "heartwarming" "inspirational" story about himself for recognition... Whether he wanted people to talk about him, thought it'd help his Heismen chances with this story of triumph circulating etc.

But even that, I think came after he was initially hoaxed into this... Not something he set off to create himself with that endgame in mind.

i don't by the "heartwarming" "inspirational" story because he created this fake person his sophomore year. That was well before he was a dominant college player and well known throughout college as one of the best players. It wasn't until this year that he finally started playing as one of the best defensive players in college football. Before he was just a good player on Notre Dame...she was created 2 whole years prior to that.

That just doesn't make any sense.

ROSTER

Jetset
RealGM
And1: 162

Post#99 » by Jetset » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:10 pm

Matt Miller ‏@nfldraftscout
NFL exec. this morning, "We'll draft criminals, but lie to my face and you're off our board." Some don't believe Te'o's story.

and apparently rumors that he may be gay is hurting his draft stock. either way, some damage has been done.

but i'll say i don't believe he's gay because he's a devout mormon. mormonism is against homosexuality.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#100 » by mpharris36 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:14 pm

destro wrote:
Matt Miller ‏@nfldraftscout
NFL exec. this morning, "We'll draft criminals, but lie to my face and you're off our board." Some don't believe Te'o's story.

and apparently rumors that he may be gay is hurting his draft stock. either way, some damage has been done.

but i'll say i don't believe he's gay because he's a devout mormon. mormonism is against homosexuality.

bro u serious with this?

are you insinuating being gay is a choice?

ROSTER

Return to New York Knicks