ImageImageImageImageImage

MLK DAY: Booklyn vs New York Knicks 1/21 3:30 PM

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 28,566

Re: MLK DAY: Booklyn vs New York Knicks 1/21 3:30 PM 

Post#81 » by Fat Kat » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:16 pm

mrpoetryNmotion wrote:
Brooklyn_Yards wrote:All signs point to Felton rejoining the starting lineup in a three-guard alignment with Jason Kidd and Shumpert. That keeps Anthony at power forward, Tyson Chandler at center and the improving Stoudemire as a key bench ingredient

Shumpert’s 15-minute London debut boosted the Knicks defense, especially at the outset, curing their recent slow beginnings.

“It’ll help when we get Raymond and Iman both,’’ Woodson said. “It starts with them up front in terms of applying pressure.’’

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knicks/u ... u4Oi7Ff6IP

At some point in the season, I would like to see a Tyson/Amar'e/Carmelo/Shumpert/Felton lineup because I never had faith that the small-ball lineup could keep up their hot shooting/ball-movement that made them so effective to begin the year and, well, just because...

But if playing Melo at the 4 means he'll start posting up more frequently instead of settling for contested mid-range jumpers, I'll take it. Though it'll be interesting to see how STAT develops from here on out. If he looks more like his 2010-11 self (vs. his 2011-12 self)--maybe not in terms of production since he won't be used as heavily, but ability and energy--it might be hard to keep him on the bench. But we shall see.

Why woud Melo being defended by PFs lead to him posting up more? The only advantage to Melo playing the 4 is floor spacing, and that he is quicker than the man defending him.

Brooklyn is likely to use Wallace to defend Melo, no matter what. Interested to see if the Nets change their lineup.
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
mrpoetryNmotion
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,118

Post#82 » by mrpoetryNmotion » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:49 pm

Fat Kat wrote:
mrpoetryNmotion wrote:
Brooklyn_Yards wrote:All signs point to Felton rejoining the starting lineup in a three-guard alignment with Jason Kidd and Shumpert. That keeps Anthony at power forward, Tyson Chandler at center and the improving Stoudemire as a key bench ingredient

Shumpert’s 15-minute London debut boosted the Knicks defense, especially at the outset, curing their recent slow beginnings.

“It’ll help when we get Raymond and Iman both,’’ Woodson said. “It starts with them up front in terms of applying pressure.’’

At some point in the season, I would like to see a Tyson/Amar'e/Carmelo/Shumpert/Felton lineup because I never had faith that the small-ball lineup could keep up their hot shooting/ball-movement that made them so effective to begin the year and, well, just because...

But if playing Melo at the 4 means he'll start posting up more frequently instead of settling for contested mid-range jumpers, I'll take it. Though it'll be interesting to see how STAT develops from here on out. If he looks more like his 2010-11 self (vs. his 2011-12 self)--maybe not in terms of production since he won't be used as heavily, but ability and energy--it might be hard to keep him on the bench. But we shall see.

Why woud Melo being defended by PFs lead to him posting up more? The only advantage to Melo playing the 4 is floor spacing, and that he is quicker than the man defending him.

Brooklyn is likely to use Wallace to defend Melo, no matter what. Interested to see if the Nets change their lineup.

?

Melo has been guarded by SF all season even when playing the "4" position earlier in the year (The other big would always be guarding Brewer). So I have no clue what you're talking about unless you're misunderstanding my post. I want Melo to post more against these SF because he has gotten away from that as of late. With Shump as a SF in the starting lineup, things get a lot more difficult for the opposing defenses because Shump is better offensively than Brewer is.
Signature NYK
Sixth Man
And1: 551

Post#83 » by Signature NYK » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:56 pm

Ray
Shump
Copeland
Melo
Tyson

Should be the lineup until sheed gets back

Ray
Shump
Melo
Sheed
Tyson

When/if sheed comes back
Grinditout
RealGM
And1: 2,349

Post#84 » by Grinditout » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:22 pm

Signature NYK wrote:Ray
Shump
Copeland
Melo
Tyson

Should be the lineup until sheed gets back

Ray
Shump
Melo
Sheed
Tyson

When/if sheed comes back

What if he doesn't, would you be just as comfortable with Camby in that same spot?
Signature NYK
Sixth Man
And1: 551

Post#85 » by Signature NYK » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:21 pm

Well ideally amare would start but thats assuming he can hit those 18 footers and play consistent defense.

If not then play kurt or camby. I just dont really like melo at the 4. It works on offense but on defense it causes melo to bang down low and is one of the reasons why we get out rebounded

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
AllanHoustonFan
RealGM
And1: 6,966

Post#86 » by AllanHoustonFan » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:29 pm

Thugger HBC wrote:

I know Tyson is smiling from ear to ear to know those two dogs will be starting in the backcourt.

Yeah now he can finally contest shots instead of worrying about getting into foul trouble.
#MKGA
-Ducky-
Starter
And1: 6

Post#87 » by -Ducky- » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:11 pm

Melo has been unreal against the Nets so far. 37/7 on 53.5% in 3 games.
fdr2012
Banned User
And1: 70

Post#88 » by fdr2012 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:43 pm

Both Sheed (if and when he comes back) and Camby need to be on a strict 15 MPG limit. If Woodson would have kept that limit, neither would have gotten hurt.
adjacent2bench
RealGM
And1: 7,476

Post#89 » by adjacent2bench » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:56 pm

-Ducky- wrote:Melo has been unreal against the Nets so far. 37/7 on 53.5% in 3 games.

Both STAT and Melo are Net killers. Love that about those 2.
JSmooth93
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,844

Post#90 » by JSmooth93 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:39 pm

This talk of Melo at the 4 as a game changer has got to stop. Regardless of what position he plays, Melo posts up regularly, I would say about every 4th shot of his is a drive or post position shot.

When he plays the 4, he's still guarded by 3's, a rare exception would be the recent Orlando game, you know the one where he dominated his defender. So teams know what to do, I think regardless of "spacing issues" (which are nearly non existant on this team during PnR offense) and his position, Carmelo Anthony dominates.
Fury
RealGM
And1: 14,850

Post#91 » by Fury » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:42 pm

It's not that Melo can get by the 4 or whatever, you're right. He's still guarded by 3s. But the 4s defend whoever the worst offensive player on the floor, and with Shump back, it's gonna be Shump or Kidd. Seeing a 4 defend Shump or Kidd gives us a huge advantage and has more positives than Melo defending the 4 on the other end.
Knicker23
General Manager
And1: 139

Post#92 » by Knicker23 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:46 pm

A 3 guard alignment means Kidd or Iman are guarding a 3... Which considering Kidds slowness i'd guess means Iman will be.. Not sure I see that working all that great.
Fury
RealGM
And1: 14,850

Post#93 » by Fury » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:51 pm

Knicker23 wrote:A 3 guard alignment means Kidd or Iman are guarding a 3... Which considering Kidds slowness i'd guess means Iman will be.. Not sure I see that working all that great.

If JR Smith could do it, Iman Shumpert can. I think Kidd would do find there anyway, as long as it's not LeBron. In doses.
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 19,884

Post#94 » by blueNorange » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:58 pm

LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
Butch718
RealGM
And1: 6,485

Post#95 » by Butch718 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:59 pm

Jared Zwerling ‏@JaredZwerling
No update on Rasheed Wallace. Some players say they're not sure, or are they just keeping quiet? Unclear about his health situation. #Knicks

This situation has gone on far too long. Is he going to play or isn't he? Some full disclosure from the team would be nice. There are too many conflicting reports out there. Some say he's done, and others are saying he's going to play sometime down the line. I'd like to move on so we could make a move on K-Mart or something.
mrpoetryNmotion
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,118

Post#96 » by mrpoetryNmotion » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:00 pm

JSmooth93 wrote:This talk of Melo at the 4 as a game changer has got to stop. Regardless of what position he plays, Melo posts up regularly, I would say about every 4th shot of his is a drive or post position shot.

When he plays the 4, he's still guarded by 3's, a rare exception would be the recent Orlando game, you know the one where he dominated his defender. So teams know what to do, I think regardless of "spacing issues" (which are nearly non existant on this team during PnR offense) and his position, Carmelo Anthony dominates.

Not on the low block, which is what I'm referring to. He has rarely done so recently and good things happen when he does. So with him occupying a possible post position, he needs to punish these small forwards in the post and kick out when doubled to find the open man again.
Tron Carter
RealGM
And1: 19,055

Post#97 » by Tron Carter » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:43 pm

We need Shump to play a solid 20 minutes this game.

He needs to bring his defensive energy but he also needs to be aggressive on offense because Williams has just been a liability on defense. Nets opponents are averaging 108.7 points per possession with Williams on the floor, and 100.6 points per 100 possessions when he sits.

That's worse then Stoudemire folks.
R.I.P Black Mamba
ctorres
RealGM
And1: 3,540

Post#98 » by ctorres » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:13 pm

Fury wrote:
Knicker23 wrote:A 3 guard alignment means Kidd or Iman are guarding a 3... Which considering Kidds slowness i'd guess means Iman will be.. Not sure I see that working all that great.

If JR Smith could do it, Iman Shumpert can. I think Kidd would do find there anyway, as long as it's not LeBron. In doses.

Aren't SF's slower than PG's and SG's? Height and bulk would be the issue at SF playing either Kidd or Shump there. I still I like our chances more often than not though. Most teams in the NBA aren't going to expose the Knicks at SF if we're playing Kidd or Shump there defensively. I'll give a quick look around the league.

Miami: Lebron (obviously an issue)
Indiana: Paul George (he miiight be an issue)
Chicago: Luol Deng (he's an issue regardless who plays him)
Atlanta: Kyle Korver (not a problem for Kidd or Shump)
Milwaukee: Marquis Daniels/Luc Mbah a Moute (not offensive threats)
Boston: Paul Pierce (a threat regardless of who is matched up, but you can put Kidd or Shump on him)
Philadelphia: Evan Turner (I'm sure either Kidd or Shump can guard him)
Toronto: Landry Fields (....)
Orlando: A bunch of no names sharing the SF spot
Detroit: Tayshaun Prince (Shump can take him)
Charlotte: Michael Kidd Gilchrist (Kidd and Shump can both take him)
Cleveland: Alonzo GEe (not much of an offensive threat)
Washington: .... (whoever they have starting, Kidd and Shump can guard)

In the East, the ONLY guys that would be physically imposing on Kidd or Shump are Lebron, Paul George, and Luol Deng, THAT IS IT!

Now let's go to the West....

OKC: Kevin Durant (he'll go off on anyone you put on him, whether it's Melo, Kidd, Shump, Brewer, White, Copeland)
Memphis: Rudy Gay (He plays more out in the perimeter and doesn't play in a physically imposing matter, therefore he's a guy that Shump can guard or even Kidd)
San Antonio: ... (Shump and Kidd can guard anyone they put at SG or SF)
Golden State: Harrison Barnes (doesn't do anything offensively to where Kidd or Shump wouldn't be able to guard him)
Denver: Danilo Gallinari (Like Durant, he's a matchup problem regardless due to his height. You could maybe put Novak on him, but then he'll take it to the hoop against Novak. However, he is not physically imposing on Shumpert)
Utah: ... (none of their guys at SF are major matchup problems for either Shump or Kidd)
Portland: Nicolas Batum (you maybe but James White or Ronnie Brewer if you need someone to physically matchup with him. Even then, we only got one game against the Blazers left right?)
Houston: We already lost to them twice right? Moving on...
Minnesota: Andrei Kirilenko (if he was a matchup problem worth worrying about, I think he would average more than 13.6 ppg)
LA Lakers: Metta World Peace (Lakers don't even take advantage of him at SF how they should. If Kobe let Metta have more shot, Metta would average 16-18 ppg.
Dallas: Shawn Marion (not an offensive threat)
Sacramento: ... (I don't think anyone plays for them at SF that is a threat to either Kidd or Shump)
New Orleans: We just beat them right? Anyways, they do not have threats at SF.
Phoenix: Shump can guard Dudley and Beasley doesn't do anything.

So there you go. Out of all 30 teams in the NBA, the ONLY legitimate threats at SF to start games against us are Lebron James, Paul George, Luol Deng, Kevin Durant, and Nicolas Batum. Those are the only guys that I'd worry about having Shump and Kidd start games against.

Felton, Kidd, and Shump could be the starting PG, SG, and SF's with Melo at PF. If you want to see how every PF matchup in the NBA against Melo, well that's another argument. However, at SG and SF, my argument stands. There are only 5 teams in the entire league where we would struggle starting Felton/Kidd/Shump together.
blumatic
Assistant Coach
And1: 787

Post#99 » by blumatic » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:13 pm

I still believe our best line up is Felton, SHump, Melo, Amare, and Tyson.

STAT is not a real bench player as the media and fans want him to be.

I am in favor of him on the bench mainly because Melo is just so good at the start of games that it would just be a misuse of resources to have Amare at the start of games when Melo just goes off when the ball tips. It would just have Amare run up and down just there to play defense, which of course is not his specialty, even with his focus there.

Even when Melo is at the 3 he is still so effective. But interm of finishing games especially against big teams Amare should be finishing.

But all of the is like 5-6 weeks from now for me. Right now STAT is still rehabbing. Not so much physically but timing and game shape wise.
carmelo115
Rookie
And1: 95

Post#100 » by carmelo115 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:17 pm

This is a bit ot but the Lakers are 17-23 right now after losing to the Raptors. That Christmas day loss to them had me thinking that they finally figured out how to implement that talent on their team.

Now I realized that we lost to an incredibly incompetent team. I know the past is the past but still, that team stinks and I was ok with the loss because I thought Nash, Kobe, Pau and Howard were gonna dominate the league. Boy was I wrong.

Return to New York Knicks