ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Does D'Antoni have to fear losing his job already?

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

spree2kawhi
General Manager
And1: 3,806

OT: Does D'Antoni have to fear losing his job already? 

Post#1 » by spree2kawhi » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:44 pm

collected this on HoopsHype within the last two days. Maybe it is not thread worthy but I just thought it was absolutely hilarious.

Monday:

Dave McMenamin: After his best game of the season, Pau is back to the bench. Clark starting. D'Antoni: "We gotta go small" Twitter @mcten

:o :lol:

Sam Amico: Lakers are said to have a strong interest in Cavs' Daniel Gibson, a natural in D'Antoni's system, but have nothing to offer. Twitter

Tuesday:

It wasn't just that the Lakers lost again. It was how they did it, where they did it, and he was simply seething. He even put out a call to ditch Mike D'Antoni's up-tempo style and post up more after Pau Gasol got moved into a reserve role. "We're going to have to look at some things," Bryant said after Los Angeles lost 95-83 at Chicago on Monday. "We're going to have to change something. Probably going to have to post the ball a lot more, slow the game down a lot more. That's just my intuition, but that's my gut right now. I have to take a look at the film again, but we're definitely going to have to change something." USA Today Sports

D'Antoni in trouble again... Sitting on easily one of the best big men of the last 20 years (Gasol) as well as an All Star stretch PF in Antawn Jamison, the Lakers and Pringles are now looking for real saviors in Earl Clark and Boobie Gibson. This is spectacular! And Kobe ain't buying it... D'Antoni even proposed to play Artest at PF earlier in the year. What the hell?! They have two All Star seven footers, two All Star stretch 4s, a top three player of all time who has unlimited range, a sharp shooting two-time-MVP point guard and he wants to go SMALL! I used to feel kind of bad for him when he was a Knick because I argued there was no real PG available in Lin (which I would still back) but by now, he simply needs to be fired again it's absolutely unbelievable....
Knox
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,299

Re: OT: Does D'Antoni have to fear losing his job already? 

Post#2 » by Knox » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:10 pm

College game is calling Antoni...its irritating because that level fits him more then the pros do
Globo Gym

Coach David Joerger
PG Jrue Hollday | T.Burke
SG D.DeRozan | Tony Snell | Glen Rice Jr
SF Nick Young | Omri Caspi |Glen Rice Jr
PF Markieff Morris |Ryan Kelly / Joel Freeland
C A.Varejao | Byron Mullens
sol537
RealGM
And1: 5,022

Post#3 » by sol537 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:11 pm

lol, kobe's gonna coach the team
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 41,898

Post#4 » by GONYK » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:11 pm

basketboule wrote:
D'Antoni in trouble again... Sitting on easily one of the best big men of the last 20 years (Gasol) as well as an All Star stretch PF in Antawn Jamison, the Lakers and Pringles are now looking for real saviors in Earl Clark and Boobie Gibson. This is spectacular! And Kobe ain't buying it... D'Antoni even proposed to play Artest at PF earlier in the year. What the hell?! They have two All Star seven footers, two All Star stretch 4s, a top three player of all time who has unlimited range, a sharp shooting two-time-MVP point guard and he wants to go SMALL! I used to feel kind of bad for him when he was a Knick because I argued there was no real PG available in Lin (which I would still back) but by now, he simply needs to be fired again it's absolutely unbelievable....

I get what you are saying, and agree with it for the most part, but the Lakers don't have any all-star stretch 4's.

D'Antoni should have feared losing his job before he took it. Kobe doesn't have time to play around and learn your system.
seren
RealGM
And1: 4,195

Post#5 » by seren » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:19 pm

Obviously, he should. But I have been saying this over and over again. That Lakers team is not good. Their roster sucks. The seasons Gasol had success, he played center. Two championships they got Bynum averaged 24 and 17 mpg in the post-season. Those are backup minutes. You can't play both Howard and Gasol to 35+ minutes and expect to win. One of them has to go.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,071

Post#6 » by moocow007 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:32 pm

:lol: I posted late last week that I'd give Kobe another week to week and a half before he starts prepping D'Antoni up for the firing squad. Guess Kobe got an early jump.

Now hows about Novak for Artest, then we waive White and Thomas and bring in West and Martin and we become the official "Don't F*k with Us" team? :D
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,864

Post#7 » by nykballa2k4 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:38 pm

Well it is Kobe's team. Mike is not going to rift with Kobe, therefore if Kobe wants a slow post up team that is what will happen. Unfortunately D'Antoni might be having some of the right ideas for once. Kobe is BLIND to Gasol's lack of ability to play defensively at the 4. Gasol USED TO BE a tremendous power forward because having two 7 footers is hell for opposing teams. Sadly, he is now too slow.

Lakers would be better served to go fast/athletic. They lack the personnel to do so, but overall, with Howard, it would be better to be uptempo. Howard can initiate fast breaks with his defense.

Anyhow, Lakers appear stuck between a rock and a hard place. The Western Conference smiles at their misfortunes.
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
spree2kawhi
General Manager

Post#8 » by spree2kawhi » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:39 pm

GONYK wrote:I get what you are saying, and agree with it for the most part, but the Lakers don't have any all-star stretch 4's.

D'Antoni should have feared losing his job before he took it. Kobe doesn't have time to play around and learn your system.

Jamison has always looked very, very good when given a chance and he was an All Star already. He's averaging 19ppg, 8rpg on his career, 17ppg, 6rpg last season. Not a single season has he been underwhelming in a 29+ minute role. I also get what you're saying but next to Howard and Nash, he really should look like an All Star this year. Instead, he's not even playing.
http://espn.go.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/385/antawn-jamison

Instead of going small any reasonable coach would most definitely go super big for extended stretches. Seriously, Jamison needs to play, it's not like he can't score! Same with Gasol. Clark is also often deemed a 6'10 small forward. So many tall yet well balanced rotations come to mind. What a bad coach...
seren
RealGM

Post#9 » by seren » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:49 pm

Jamison did not have a good moment for nearly three years. He can't guard anyone. He can put up numbers on bad teams though.
duetta
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,313

Post#10 » by duetta » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:50 pm

Nothing quite like getting paid $12 million or so for a couple of months work...
spree2kawhi
General Manager

Post#11 » by spree2kawhi » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:56 pm

seren wrote:Jamison did not have a good moment for nearly three years. He can't guard anyone. He can put up numbers on bad teams though.

Really not trying to be a dick but this should at least somewhat give him a break in what you're saying... He's exactly the kind of plyer who would be a devastating tool if he was playing on the Spurs/Heat/Knicks :lol: /Clippers and also Boston.
seren
RealGM

Post#12 » by seren » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:01 pm

basketboule wrote:
seren wrote:Jamison did not have a good moment for nearly three years. He can't guard anyone. He can put up numbers on bad teams though.

Really not trying to be a dick but this should at least somewhat give him a break in what you're saying... He's exactly the kind of plyer who would be a devastating tool if he was playing on the Spurs/Heat/Knicks :lol: /Clippers and also Boston.

More like a hot/cold veteran that you bring off the bench, ride him when he is doing fine and bench him when he is not. Which is his role in L.A. and what would be in all the teams you mentioned. Say a rich man's Rashard Lewis or a poor man's Ray Allen or a middle class man's Lamar Odom.
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,864

Post#13 » by nykballa2k4 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:05 pm

basketboule wrote:

Jamison would be alright on a team that didn't have Kobe and Gasol.

The Lakers are TOO DAMN OLD. This is this issue. If Jamison were playing any sort of transition offense/defense he would get playing time.
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
spree2kawhi
General Manager

Post#14 » by spree2kawhi » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:14 pm

seren wrote:
basketboule wrote:

More like a hot/cold veteran that you bring off the bench, ride him when he is doing fine and bench him when he is not. Which is his role in L.A. and what would be in all the teams you mentioned. Say a rich man's Rashard Lewis or a poor man's Ray Allen or a middle class man's Lamar Odom.

I'm fine with that. I'd put him next to Howard or Gasol in a small ball line up in a heartbeat though. Also I would try and play Howard and Gasol next to each other and reduce that small ball BS...
Red Vines
RealGM
And1: 8,575

Post#15 » by Red Vines » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:29 pm

Kobe: "This isn't working."

"We need to go back to basics," Bryant said. "We need to put guys in positions to do what they do best. We need to strip it down. Steve is best in pick-and-roll. Pau is best in the post. I'm best from the free-throw line extended down. Let's go back to basics.

"We've got to evaluate what's going on. Management is looking at it. The players are looking at it. I'm looking at myself.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--kobe- ... 30224.html

Can't believe it's taken this long for everyone to see what we went through...he doesn't maximize his talent.
seren
RealGM

Post#16 » by seren » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:34 pm

basketboule wrote:I'm fine with that. I'd put him next to Howard or Gasol in a small ball line up in a heartbeat though. Also I would try and play Howard and Gasol next to each other and reduce that small ball BS...

Well they have been playing together for half of the season. Results are self-evident.
Knicker23
General Manager
And1: 139

Post#17 » by Knicker23 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:37 pm

Hate to say it, but Lakers doing poorly only serves to make Dwight for Lopez more appealing for LA... And as much as people want to root for Dwight to go to Brooklyn to 'screw it all up,' Deron Howard Joe in Brooklyn would be a headache for the next couple of seasons...

Even if Dwight doesn't get completely healthy for the remainder of this entire year. He's still a franchise talent that will regain form sooner or later.

Don't see Dantoni going anywhere.. Maybe Lakers look to turn both Gasol and Howard into other players and revamp.. who knows.
seren
RealGM

Post#18 » by seren » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:38 pm

Red Vines wrote:Kobe: "This isn't working."

"We need to go back to basics," Bryant said. "We need to put guys in positions to do what they do best. We need to strip it down. Steve is best in pick-and-roll. Pau is best in the post. I'm best from the free-throw line extended down. Let's go back to basics.

"We've got to evaluate what's going on. Management is looking at it. The players are looking at it. I'm looking at myself.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--kobe- ... 30224.html

Can't believe it's taken this long for everyone to see what we went through...he doesn't maximize his talent.

Problem with the Lakers team is threefold: 1) They don't have enough talent. 2) Their talent is not complementary. 3) They have way too many agendas.

Kobe is going for the all-time scoring record. At the very least he wants to get into top three.

They want to make Howard happy so that he signs.

They want to keep 2014 Cap open.
seren
RealGM

Post#19 » by seren » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:39 pm

Knicker23 wrote:Hate to say it, but Lakers doing poorly only serves to make Dwight for Lopez more appealing for LA... And as much as people want to root for Dwight to go to Brooklyn to 'screw it all up,' Deron Howard Joe in Brooklyn would be a headache for the next couple of seasons...

Even if Dwight doesn't get completely healthy for the remainder of this entire year. He's still a franchise talent that will regain form sooner or later.

Don't see Dantoni going anywhere.. Maybe Lakers look to turn both Gasol and Howard into other players and revamp.. who knows.

Good thing Lakers would never trade for Lopez.
kane2021
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,067
Location: It's OK to feel that way. Just sick of hearing about it all the time.

Post#20 » by kane2021 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:54 pm

Its all the same story. Best team he has ever had and he has his guy. Not only is his philosophy wack but its him as a person that makes him a bad coach. The lakers made a huge mistake hiring him. Dealing for love is a great idea. But making any trades to try and make it work for Dantoni will set them back for a very long time. This has got to be the only coach I have ever seen that constantly needs a trade. If you look at his history as a head coach there is no justification for it. He has not been good enough for long enough.

This is all the same crap we went through. Not that I have any say in it. But if the lakers were smart they would ignore the bad press they would get and fire this guy before making any trades. Good players decline under this guy and regular role players shine. First move they should make is dump the coach already. The only trade that had any hope of saving this guy was already made with the suns.

Never underestimate the strength of knowledge.

Bring back the physical game and send the softies home.

Return to New York Knicks