yardbarker

OT: Does D'Antoni have to fear losing his job already?

Moderators: moocow007, magnumt, mrpoetryNmotion, j4remi, Brooklyn_Yards, Knickstape1214, GONYK, Thugger HBC, NoLayupRule, Thorn

Post#16 Re: OT: Does D'Antoni have to fear losing his
Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:34 pm by seren

basketboule wrote:I'm fine with that. I'd put him next to Howard or Gasol in a small ball line up in a heartbeat though. Also I would try and play Howard and Gasol next to each other and reduce that small ball BS...


Well they have been playing together for half of the season. Results are self-evident.
seren
RealGM
Posts: 19,811
And1: 619
Joined: Jul 20, 2002
Top

Post#17 Re: OT: Does D'Antoni have to fear losing his
Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:37 pm by Knicker23

Hate to say it, but Lakers doing poorly only serves to make Dwight for Lopez more appealing for LA... And as much as people want to root for Dwight to go to Brooklyn to 'screw it all up,' Deron Howard Joe in Brooklyn would be a headache for the next couple of seasons...

Even if Dwight doesn't get completely healthy for the remainder of this entire year. He's still a franchise talent that will regain form sooner or later.

Don't see Dantoni going anywhere.. Maybe Lakers look to turn both Gasol and Howard into other players and revamp.. who knows.
Image
Knicker23
General Manager
User avatar
Posts: 9,472
And1: 126
Joined: Apr 24, 2010
Top

Post#18 Re: OT: Does D'Antoni have to fear losing his
Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:38 pm by seren

Red Vines wrote:Kobe: "This isn't working."

"We need to go back to basics," Bryant said. "We need to put guys in positions to do what they do best. We need to strip it down. Steve is best in pick-and-roll. Pau is best in the post. I'm best from the free-throw line extended down. Let's go back to basics.

"We've got to evaluate what's going on. Management is looking at it. The players are looking at it. I'm looking at myself.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--kobe- ... 30224.html

Can't believe it's taken this long for everyone to see what we went through...he doesn't maximize his talent.


Problem with the Lakers team is threefold: 1) They don't have enough talent. 2) Their talent is not complementary. 3) They have way too many agendas.

Kobe is going for the all-time scoring record. At the very least he wants to get into top three.

They want to make Howard happy so that he signs.

They want to keep 2014 Cap open.
seren
RealGM
Posts: 19,811
And1: 619
Joined: Jul 20, 2002
Top

Post#19 Re: OT: Does D'Antoni have to fear losing his
Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:39 pm by seren

Knicker23 wrote:Hate to say it, but Lakers doing poorly only serves to make Dwight for Lopez more appealing for LA... And as much as people want to root for Dwight to go to Brooklyn to 'screw it all up,' Deron Howard Joe in Brooklyn would be a headache for the next couple of seasons...

Even if Dwight doesn't get completely healthy for the remainder of this entire year. He's still a franchise talent that will regain form sooner or later.

Don't see Dantoni going anywhere.. Maybe Lakers look to turn both Gasol and Howard into other players and revamp.. who knows.


Good thing Lakers would never trade for Lopez.
seren
RealGM
Posts: 19,811
And1: 619
Joined: Jul 20, 2002
Top

Post#20 Re: OT: Does D'Antoni have to fear losing his
Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:54 pm by kane2021

Its all the same story. Best team he has ever had and he has his guy. Not only is his philosophy wack but its him as a person that makes him a bad coach. The lakers made a huge mistake hiring him. Dealing for love is a great idea. But making any trades to try and make it work for Dantoni will set them back for a very long time. This has got to be the only coach I have ever seen that constantly needs a trade. If you look at his history as a head coach there is no justification for it. He has not been good enough for long enough.

This is all the same crap we went through. Not that I have any say in it. But if the lakers were smart they would ignore the bad press they would get and fire this guy before making any trades. Good players decline under this guy and regular role players shine. First move they should make is dump the coach already. The only trade that had any hope of saving this guy was already made with the suns.
Image

Never underestimate the strength of knowledge.

Bring back the physical game and send the softies home.
kane2021
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
User avatar
Posts: 13,756
And1: 1,862
Joined: Oct 3, 2008
Location: It's OK to feel that way. Just sick of hearing about it all the time.
Top

Post#21 Re: OT: Does D'Antoni have to fear losing his
Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:07 pm by basketboule

seren wrote:
Knicker23 wrote:Hate to say it, but Lakers doing poorly only serves to make Dwight for Lopez more appealing for LA... And as much as people want to root for Dwight to go to Brooklyn to 'screw it all up,' Deron Howard Joe in Brooklyn would be a headache for the next couple of seasons...

Even if Dwight doesn't get completely healthy for the remainder of this entire year. He's still a franchise talent that will regain form sooner or later.

Don't see Dantoni going anywhere.. Maybe Lakers look to turn both Gasol and Howard into other players and revamp.. who knows.


Good thing Lakers would never trade for Lopez.


If you want to win championships the next decade you need Howard / Bynum / Durant / LeBron / Melo / possibly Drummond and a somewhat athletic and/or smart Point Guard. Forget Blopez and the rest. Also, Kobe needs major help by now even though he is still crazy good.

While I see how it makes sense dealing Gasol with Howard there it
a) certainly does not help your championship chances dealing Howard away
b) should be able to work it out on offense to feed Gasol in the low post like the Knicks do with Melo and have Dwight in Chandler's role. Add Bryant at SG who would be deadly from mid range á la RIP Hamilton or on the low block as well if need be. This is a very tall, slow paced and savvy half court team with some really good spacing actually and could be the best in the league at that. --> the real problem is the coach and some athleticism and slashing at the SF position (well now they have Clark)
basketboule
Bench Warmer
User avatar
Posts: 1,476
And1: 30
Joined: Mar 1, 2005
Top

Post#22 Re: OT: Does D'Antoni have to fear losing his
Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:15 pm by basketboule

And even more on the wiretap now:

Dwight Howard attempted just five shots in the Los Angeles Lakers' 95-83 loss to the Chicago Bulls on Monday.

Howard expressed his frustration with his lack of touches.

"Look at the stat sheet," Howard said. "Look at the stat sheet."

Howard also proposed a solution for the Lakers' offense.

"It's simple. Play inside-out."

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/225721/Howard_Expresses_Frustration_With_Lack_Of_Touches_Wants_Lakers_To_Play_Inside_Out


The Los Angeles Lakers are seven games under .500 and four games out of the playoffs, forcing Kobe Bryant to see the reality of the situation.

"Obviously, this isn't working," Bryant said.

Pau Gasol is currently coming off a bench, a move that Bryant seemingly doesn't believe helps the Lakers.

Dwight Howard is expressing frustration with his lack of touches on offense.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/225724/Kobe_Ive_Constantly_Tried_To_Help_Dwight


basketboule
Bench Warmer
User avatar
Posts: 1,476
And1: 30
Joined: Mar 1, 2005
Top

Post#23 Re: OT: Does D'Antoni have to fear losing his
Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:17 pm by Pharmcat

mike d is the worst coach ever
Pharmcat
Global Mod
Global Mod
User avatar
Posts: 43,336
And1: 1,159
Joined: Oct 4, 2002
Top

Post#24 Re: OT: Does D'Antoni have to fear losing his
Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:20 pm by Knicker23

Why would the Lakers never trade Howard for Lopez? If Howard gives no indication he'll reup with LA, they have to trade him within the month or lose him for zip. At this point, I think Dwight is willing to go through free agency even if it means less $.

That means you send him where he wants for pieces or ship him wherever and get what you can.

Lopez isn't a franchise talent, but his play has definitely upped his value thus far. The Nets are definitely in more of a position of power right now. They don't need LA or Dwight like they did prior to season... however the Lakers are plummeting and the clock is ticking... You have one big man who may bounce, one big man who is coming off the bench, an old PG and a frustrated Kobe...

It's time they make a swift move.
Image
Knicker23
General Manager
User avatar
Posts: 9,472
And1: 126
Joined: Apr 24, 2010
Top

Post#25 Re: OT: Does D'Antoni have to fear losing his
Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:23 pm by seren

kane2021 wrote:Its all the same story. Best team he has ever had and he has his guy. Not only is his philosophy wack but its him as a person that makes him a bad coach. The lakers made a huge mistake hiring him. Dealing for love is a great idea. But making any trades to try and make it work for Dantoni will set them back for a very long time. This has got to be the only coach I have ever seen that constantly needs a trade. If you look at his history as a head coach there is no justification for it. He has not been good enough for long enough.

This is all the same crap we went through. Not that I have any say in it. But if the lakers were smart they would ignore the bad press they would get and fire this guy before making any trades. Good players decline under this guy and regular role players shine. First move they should make is dump the coach already. The only trade that had any hope of saving this guy was already made with the suns.


Lakers made many mistakes this season. I think firing Mike Brown was the worst of all. Fact is Brown did try to make this unworkable match (Gasol/Howard) work with Princeton offense. And it was to an extent working despite the bad start. With a bit more time, I believe he could have made this work meaning he could get them in the playoffs. Fact is that team is at most a 45-48 win team if everything goes well.

With DAntoni, things are totally out of whack.

It starts from Nash. He is averaging more than 34 mpg under Dantoni. Big mistake. He is a total liability on the defensive end. He is trying to preserve energy for offense. The way he should be used is the way Stockton was used at the end of his career.
seren
RealGM
Posts: 19,811
And1: 619
Joined: Jul 20, 2002
Top

Post#26 Re: OT: Does D'Antoni have to fear losing his
Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:55 pm by basketboule

Dallas won with two seven footers (Dirk, Chandler) and an old team
Lakers won with two seven footers (Gasol, Bynum) and an old team
Boston won with two near seven footers (Perkins, Garnett) and n old team
Spurs won with two seven footers (Robinson 2x, Duncan and later Horry who was a 6'10 defensive beast) and old teams
Lakers won with Shaq and Horry and relatively old, well at least fairly unathletic teams
Pistons won with Sheed and Ben Wallace and fairly unathletic personnel

Where is that small ball? Miami is the lone exception in one and a half decades of championship teams.

The Lakers as constructed have one version of Ben Wallace and one version of Rasheed. You could go on. They have one incredible defensive center in Howard and one immensely efficient low post scorer in Gasol, plus hes long which helps on D too.

They have Kobe Bryant who also clearly excells in the half court set. Nash can spread the floor as well as anyone.

What is there not to understand, Pringles? He just needs to play according to the personnel, it should be easy.
basketboule
Bench Warmer
User avatar
Posts: 1,476
And1: 30
Joined: Mar 1, 2005
Top

Post#27 Re: OT: Does D'Antoni have to fear losing his
Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:04 pm by Starks1994

Until its proven that the small ball three point barrage offense wins a chip, I think D'antoni's legacy has taken a turn for the worse. An emphasis in three point shooting has been rampant ever since his Suns days but what does any team really have to show for it?
Image
Starks1994
Veteran
User avatar
Posts: 2,544
And1: 175
Joined: Dec 8, 2007
Top

Post#28 Re: OT: Does D'Antoni have to fear losing his
Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:24 pm by seren

basketboule wrote:Dallas won with two seven footers (Dirk, Chandler) and an old team
Lakers won with two seven footers (Gasol, Bynum) and an old team
Boston won with two near seven footers (Perkins, Garnett) and n old team
Spurs won with two seven footers (Robinson 2x, Duncan and later Horry who was a 6'10 defensive beast) and old teams
Lakers won with Shaq and Horry and relatively old, well at least fairly unathletic teams
Pistons won with Sheed and Ben Wallace and fairly unathletic personnel

Where is that small ball? Miami is the lone exception in one and a half decades of championship teams.

The Lakers as constructed have one version of Ben Wallace and one version of Rasheed. You could go on. They have one incredible defensive center in Howard and one immensely efficient low post scorer in Gasol, plus hes long which helps on D too.

They have Kobe Bryant who also clearly excells in the half court set. Nash can spread the floor as well as anyone.

What is there not to understand, Pringles? He just needs to play according to the personnel, it should be easy.


Don't want to nitpick, but Bynum averaged 24 mpg and 17 mpg respectively during two championship post-seasons. Those are backup minutes.

The bigger Bynum's role was expanded to the worse the Lakers got.
seren
RealGM
Posts: 19,811
And1: 619
Joined: Jul 20, 2002
Top

Post#29 Re: OT: Does D'Antoni have to fear losing his
Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:25 pm by seren

Starks1994 wrote:Until its proven that the small ball three point barrage offense wins a chip, I think D'antoni's legacy has taken a turn for the worse. An emphasis in three point shooting has been rampant ever since his Suns days but what does any team really have to show for it?


We are currently starting Melo at the four. That is what we did whole season. We are also shooting a pretty large number of threes. So as OKC and every other contender.
seren
RealGM
Posts: 19,811
And1: 619
Joined: Jul 20, 2002
Top

Post#30 Re: OT: Does D'Antoni have to fear losing his
Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:29 pm by nykballa2k4

basketboule wrote:Dallas won with two seven footers (Dirk, Chandler) and an old team
Lakers won with two seven footers (Gasol, Bynum) and an old team
Boston won with two near seven footers (Perkins, Garnett) and n old team
Spurs won with two seven footers (Robinson 2x, Duncan and later Horry who was a 6'10 defensive beast) and old teams
Lakers won with Shaq and Horry and relatively old, well at least fairly unathletic teams
Pistons won with Sheed and Ben Wallace and fairly unathletic personnel

Where is that small ball? Miami is the lone exception in one and a half decades of championship teams.

The Lakers as constructed have one version of Ben Wallace and one version of Rasheed. You could go on. They have one incredible defensive center in Howard and one immensely efficient low post scorer in Gasol, plus hes long which helps on D too.

They have Kobe Bryant who also clearly excells in the half court set. Nash can spread the floor as well as anyone.

What is there not to understand, Pringles? He just needs to play according to the personnel, it should be easy.


Dirk is athletic, Chandler is very athletic


Gasol was 2 years younger, and more athletic

Duncan was athletic until about 5 seasons ago, and now is paired with more athletic players who can chase around perimeter players
There is no asterisk on ANY N.B.A. titles.

Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
nykballa2k4




RealGM
User avatar
Posts: 17,016
And1: 1,134
Joined: Jul 25, 2004
Location: There are good players and there are bad players... Then...there's the other guys
Top

Post#31 Re: OT: Does D'Antoni have to fear losing his
Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:31 pm by NYKat

Dantoni has had rosters with cores of Melo, Amare, Chandler, Dwight, Kobe, Pau and hasn't been able to win with any of them.

His reputation is destroyed
NYKat
Head Coach
User avatar
Posts: 6,976
And1: 1,016
Joined: Sep 30, 2009
Top

Post#32 Re: OT: Does D'Antoni have to fear losing his
Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:50 pm by kane2021

Not only can he not win with great teams. He cant even get them to resemble a unit. His teams are split up into a 2 man group or individuals scoring the ball. There is no "team" with this guy. And the worst of it is he is a awful manager of personalities. His teams not only lose and play individually. But there is no plan. No discipline. No harmony. His best guys play below what they can. His role players take on larger roles. And they just dont get along very well. I said this when he was here and nothing will ever change my mind. When Dantoni is the coach you have no coach. Its all up to the players to make the team successful. D'antoni the players coach is a fraud. He has no idea what to do and is not at all a leader. He is a cheer leader. And thats not in the sense of a insult. Its in the sense of his presence. In the NBA he is a easy going assistant coach that took a few offensive plays out of a playbook he read once. Shows the spacing. Tells the PG to run free. Then stands back and cheers.
Image

Never underestimate the strength of knowledge.

Bring back the physical game and send the softies home.
kane2021
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
User avatar
Posts: 13,756
And1: 1,862
Joined: Oct 3, 2008
Location: It's OK to feel that way. Just sick of hearing about it all the time.
Top

Post#33 Re: OT: Does D'Antoni have to fear losing his
Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:02 pm by Red Vines

What has made the situation worse is that MDA came back after seeing Woodson have success and wanted to prove how good his system really is. He came back with an attitude and you could tell there was going to be no compromise and he'd make everyone buy in. That's fine if you get results but...
Red Vines



RealGM
User avatar
Posts: 21,113
And1: 1,332
Joined: Jun 26, 2005
Location: MKE
Top

Post#34 Re: OT: Does D'Antoni have to fear losing his
Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:11 pm by seren

kane2021 wrote:Not only can he not win with great teams. He cant even get them to resemble a unit. His teams are split up into a 2 man group or individuals scoring the ball. There is no "team" with this guy. And the worst of it is he is a awful manager of personalities. His teams not only lose and play individually. But there is no plan. No discipline. No harmony. His best guys play below what they can. His role players take on larger roles. And they just dont get along very well. I said this when he was here and nothing will ever change my mind. When Dantoni is the coach you have no coach. Its all up to the players to make the team successful. D'antoni the players coach is a fraud. He has no idea what to do and is not at all a leader. He is a cheer leader. And thats not in the sense of a insult. Its in the sense of his presence. In the NBA he is a easy going assistant coach that took a few offensive plays out of a playbook he read once. Shows the spacing. Tells the PG to run free. Then stands back and cheers.


I disagree. Lakers had a cheerleader for a short span of time and they were actually winning games.
seren
RealGM
Posts: 19,811
And1: 619
Joined: Jul 20, 2002
Top

Post#35 Re: OT: Does D'Antoni have to fear losing his
Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:24 pm by N8isScofield

The Lakers' biggest problem, even before having a savant as their coach is that they literally have no defenders and not a single player has any lateral quickness. There is nobody on that team who you worry about defensively. Dwight still isn't 100% and might never be and nobody can move their feet on the perimeter. Kobe and Artest are too old to move laterally anymore and Nash never could.
ARSENAL FC 2014 FA Cup Champions
N8isScofield





Assistant Coach
User avatar
Posts: 3,981
And1: 633
Joined: Jul 1, 2010
Location: Gotham
Top

Next

Return to New York Knicks


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Are We Ther Yet, EMG518, EricAnderson, LifeLongKNICK, livintoolive, MelosSoreWrist, Mr Rabbit, Nyphantom, Sentenza199, Slimpack, Workforce250, Zooropa