ImageImageImageImageImage

Cut Some1, Sign DELONTE, Sooner Rather Than Later Please.

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,020

Re: Cut Some1, Sign DELONTE, Sooner Rather Than Later Please 

Post#141 » by moocow007 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:23 pm

Come on, do it. Bring in West. Time to take the crazy out of the closet and start flaunting it. West would be their best backcourt defender. Their toughest backcourt player. If he can shoot like he shot in recent years, their most accurate shooter (from 2 and 3) in the backcourt. He's actually still young enough to not get winded running up and down the floor for more than 5-8 minutes. He rebounds well (come on W-o-o-d-y, it'll allow you to keep playing smallll) for a guard. He can pass. He's experienced.
shmeakone
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,423

Post#142 » by shmeakone » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:26 pm

Just think about this...

We'd have Delonte, K-Mart, JR, & Sheed on the same team. That's not a recipe for success.
My lifetime better have a Knicks championship.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#143 » by moocow007 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:29 pm

shmeakone wrote:Just think about this...

We'd have Delonte, K-Mart, JR, & Sheed on the same team. That's not a recipe for success.

Why's that? All these guys have played on terrific teams for most of their careers.
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,004

Post#144 » by god shammgod » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:30 pm

i wonder who they cut then ? james white is kind of worthless but he's the only guy who can play the 3 currently. unless this means they're gonna end melo at the 4.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#145 » by moocow007 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:33 pm

god shammgod wrote:i wonder who they cut then ? james white is kind of worthless but he's the only guy who can play the 3 currently. unless this means they're gonna end melo at the 4.

If true, that deserves double fist pump. White right now is basically the least productive guy on the team. He's got more of the deer-in-the-headlights look about him than even Copeland. If they cut White and try West and West doesn't work, it's not too hard to find someone to replace White. I mean athletic wings without any real basketball skills are probably the easiest position to fill in the NBA. Mo Evans is right there waiting if that's what they pine for if West doesn't work out (and Mo actually has some skills, is a great lockerroom guy and has plenty of experience). Really does no harm right now to at least try West.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,436

Post#146 » by j4remi » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:34 pm

god shammgod wrote:i wonder who they cut then ? james white is kind of worthless but he's the only guy who can play the 3 currently. unless this means they're gonna end melo at the 4.

Oh sweet Jesus, if that's the case I'll be so damned happy!
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
JBreezeNY
RealGM
And1: 10,713

Post#147 » by JBreezeNY » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:35 pm

I kept changing my mind on Delonte but fu*k it, like the others said just bring Delonte in. We seriously have nothing else to lose, our backs are starting to get against the walls & we need fresh bodies.
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 37,861

Post#148 » by KnicksGod » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:36 pm

I'm cautiously thrilled. But it seems like speculation on Zwerling's part doesn't it? The question mark gives it away.

Delonte is a game changer potentially. Mental issues aside, I think he's more likely to help the Knicks in the playoffs than EVEN you know who ... which says a lot coming from me and you know why.

Pargo and Gaines ... blah. Who cares.

Get Delonte. He's experienced, defends well, can knock down shots. If he's mentally healthy, he is better than Felton.

But isn't this guy speculating pretty obviously?
god shammgod
RealGM

Post#149 » by god shammgod » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:39 pm

KnicksGod wrote:I'm cautiously thrilled. But it seems like speculation on Zwerling's part doesn't it? The question mark gives it away.

Delonte is a game changer potentially. Mental issues aside, I think he's more likely to help the Knicks in the playoffs than EVEN you know who ... which says a lot coming from me and you know why.

Get Delonte. He's experienced, defends well, can knock down shots. If he's mentally healthy, he is better than Felton.

it definitely is speculation as to the targets but he must know something to suggest we're looking for backcourt help. nobody else has suggested that yet. personally i don't see the knicks bringing anyone too young in either. it would have to be a veteran.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#150 » by moocow007 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:41 pm

And there really aren't a whole lot of choices left in the backcourt to be had...that's the other good thing. West right now is clearly the best avaialble backcourt player. CLEARLY.
boomann21
RealGM
And1: 2,777

Post#151 » by boomann21 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:42 pm

Hey Grunnie,

KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#152 » by KnicksGod » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:45 pm

god shammgod wrote:
KnicksGod wrote:I'm cautiously thrilled. But it seems like speculation on Zwerling's part doesn't it? The question mark gives it away.

it definitely is speculation as to the targets but he must know something to suggest we're looking for backcourt help. nobody else has suggested that yet. personally i don't see the knicks bringing anyone too young in either. it would have to be a veteran.

Makes sense.

Obviously Delonte is a wildcard because of his mental health but he's a really good player.

Anybody who doubts Delonte's potential value ... just look at what he does well IF he can actually stay healthy for the playoffs. He defends aggressively and smartly, including the PNR. He is an accurate shooter.

Dribble penetration, no. But the guy is savvy on a basketball court. He will keep the ball moving and hit shots. He can operate from the wings with skilled footwork, and uses the glass well. How many 1-2's can say that? Not many. How many are available? One.
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#153 » by KnicksGod » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:48 pm

... And NYC does really well incorporating discarded headcases. Across all sports, there is something about New York that really absorbs these guys well ... they thrive here.

Don't show me a picture of Marbury. He devolved only AFTER arriving in New York. And his skills disappeared. Different story.
Tron Carter
RealGM
And1: 19,055

Post#154 » by Tron Carter » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:48 pm

actual guards are pure speculation, even though west is head and shoulders above every available guard.

i think i can trust zwerling's sources that woodson and grunnie are meeting to discuss possible making a move to improve our backcourt. he was specific in it being our backcourt.
R.I.P Black Mamba
Never Wrong
Banned User
And1: 496

Post#155 » by Never Wrong » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:49 pm

He's not better than Felton. I don't understand the Felton hate here.
StephNYKurry
General Manager
And1: 2,198

Post#156 » by StephNYKurry » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:52 pm

Never Wrong wrote:He's not better than Felton. I don't understand the Felton hate here.

Felton is one of the worst defenders in the league
What do I care...it's rigged anyway
god shammgod
RealGM

Post#157 » by god shammgod » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:54 pm

Never Wrong wrote:He's not better than Felton. I don't understand the Felton hate here.

he's not replacing him. did someone say something about felton ? i must have missed it.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#158 » by Dr. Detfink » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:57 pm

Am I missing something here? If Delonte West was THAT much of a game changer how come the masters of sleeper picks, the Spurs haven't signed this guy? Or Houston, Memphis, etc?

Look at those post season numbers they are not that special but what is missing from those stats are the little off-camera plays that Pierce, Garnett, Rondo, Lebron, etc make setting up his scene stealing moment.

This has been such a skipping record. Knicks got Camby. We all thought that was the answer. Then we wanted Sheed. Then we wanted K-Mart. We keep getting these chips that are supposed to change our fortunes. They've been alright but nothing to write home about.

That's because our big 3 have become really, the big ONE. Tyson Chandler has been a machine. No matter what signing you make...unless the stars are there to do what they do, it's not going to have that intangible effect you desire.

But go ahead. Put another coin in the Atlantic City slot machine. It's only a quarter.
boomann21
RealGM
And1: 2,777

Post#159 » by boomann21 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:57 pm

god shammgod wrote:

he's not replacing him. did someone say something about felton ? i must have missed it.

I looked back and didn't see any mention of that.
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#160 » by KnicksGod » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:58 pm

StephNYKurry wrote:

Felton is one of the worst defenders in the league

Much better defender, career 38% shooter from 3 (to Felton's 33%), uses footwork to score and has an in-between game, higher steals per minute, tons of playoff experience, savvier than Felton IMO.

But yeah, he won't replace him, he'll just bolster the backcourt. I think he'll perform here and help the team. So I'll try to forget about Felton for a minute. :oops:

Return to New York Knicks