ImageImageImageImageImage

Fire Mike Woodson, plz

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,881

Re: Fire Mike Woodson, plz 

Post#121 » by nykballa2k4 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:41 am

Butch718 wrote:
Thugger HBC wrote:Sounds like this squad to me.

Not really. This squad overachieved to start the season. That 99 team underachieved during the regular season and didn't find their footing during the playoffs. Whether this team gets it together for the postseason remains to be seen. I would love to be wrong about Woodson if that happens to be the case.

99 team had reason not to be on the same page though.

What is our excuse? Kidd, Chandler, Melo, Felton were part of the 'winning" version of our squad. The difference is that the team is playing entirely uninspired.

Houston Spree never lacked effort. Melo has already admitted to dogging it.
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
Butch718
RealGM
And1: 6,543

Post#122 » by Butch718 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:49 am

The team was playing inspired for the first month and a half. Then again it's hard not to be inspired when you're shooting at a ridiculously high percentage.
Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,044

Post#123 » by Sark » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:52 am

The 1999 team had a lot of injuries, but even so only finished 6 games behind the #1 seed. The compacted season skewed everything. They were one of the best 8 seeds of all time. In fact they probably are.
SportsGuy8
Starter
And1: 1,050

Post#124 » by SportsGuy8 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:01 am

The biggest problem is that when shots stopped falling, team made a knee-jerk reaction and transitioned to ISO play. This team was fun to watch at the beginning of the season, with lots of ball movement, but most of it is just gone now.

Sadly, that's being results-oriented. You don't change your system just because you're experiencing a rough stretch of variance ... It's just not a rational, logical, intelligent thing to do.

Now it's back to the ISO-bball and it's painful to watch. Woodson is sadly going back to his Atlanta years, coaching-wise.

I still think the vets can turn it around, though. Someone just needs to put them back on track, the track that's leading AWAY from ISO-bball. :)
Butch718
RealGM

Post#125 » by Butch718 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:13 am

Sark wrote:The 1999 team had a lot of injuries, but even so only finished 6 games behind the #1 seed. The compacted season skewed everything. They were one of the best 8 seeds of all time. In fact they probably are.

Yeah, you can't really compare that team to this current team.

Like I said, the 95-96 team is a better comparison when you look at how this team started compared to that one, and how this team is currently trending downwards like that team did too. There are differences, but also a lot of similarities as well.
Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Post#126 » by Greenie » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:45 am

HawthorneWingo wrote:
greenhughes wrote:
NYKat wrote:It's cute to see some of the haters come out the woodwork, now that we're slumping, guys that ain't been around in months all of sudden have feel validated...smh...

Sad ain't it

Slumping? It's been the last 29 games.

That's not the point. The point is some people only show up when we doing bad (and we are doing bad). In the beginning of the season where were all of these posters?
Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Post#127 » by Greenie » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:00 am

Nostrand Ave wrote:
bfpri wrote:Not Woodson's fault, he was overachieving the beginning of the season. The Knicks don't really have much talent. Its basically Melo, Chandler and scrubs.

Knicks dont have more talent than Pacers and Bulls?

Look at the Pacers team from top to bottom. They have better OVERALL talent on that roster.
Granger(injured)
George
Hibbert
Hill
West
Green
Augustin
Stephenson

Now look at the Bulls roster. I say we are about even talent wise with them (but even that is a stretch).
Rose(injured)
Noah
Boozer
Deng
Hinrich
Gibson
Robinson
Butler

The Knicks are a top heavy roster
Anthony
Stoudemire
Chandler
Smith
Felton
Kidd
Shumpert
Camby(injured)
Novak

On the Knicks roster there is a huge drop-off in either talent, age, or I.Q after the main guys (STAT, Melo, and Tyson). Those other teams are a little better balanced.
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#128 » by Thugger HBC » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:07 am

The Pacers and Bulls have a set formula which is pinned on effort on defensive end, neither team can score a lick.

It took a collapse of the Knicks for them to catch up.

They are not more talented at all.

I made this point before about the tortoise and the hare.

The hare ran fast and then took a nap, the tortoise didn't do squat.
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
Butch718
RealGM

Post#129 » by Butch718 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:10 am

Thugger HBC wrote:The Pacers and Bulls have a set formula which is pinned on effort on defensive end, neither team can score a lick.

Whether they're more talented is debatable. But give me a nucleus that's well balanced and that's more suited for defensive, grind it out basketball any day of the week.
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#130 » by Thugger HBC » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:14 am

Butch718 wrote:
Thugger HBC wrote:The Pacers and Bulls have a set formula which is pinned on effort on defensive end, neither team can score a lick.

Whether they're more talented is debatable. But give me a nucleus that's well balanced and that's more suited for defensive, grind it out basketball any day of the week.

Nah, stars win.

How exactly are they well balanced when they are dismal on one side of the court?
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
Butch718
RealGM

Post#131 » by Butch718 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:21 am

I'm talking about in terms of talent. Personally I love the way that current Pacers team is constructed. Same with Chicago. On top of that those two teams are playing without their best scorers. I don't care what anyone says, losing Granger and Rose makes a huge difference. Those two will only make them better come playoff time. Just imagine how this team would look if Melo were out for the year. I think we would be fighting for the last playoff spot instead of being in the middle of the pack like Indiana and Chicago.
Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,044

Post#132 » by Sark » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:27 am

Pacers and Bulls are much better coached than us. That's the only reason they are close to us. Our roster blows them out top to bottom. If Woodson were coaching the Bulls, they'd be under .500.
TheToothFairy
Banned User
And1: 297

Post#133 » by TheToothFairy » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:29 am

What a stupid thread
wellpact
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#134 » by wellpact » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:26 am

Bill Bradley wrote:Woodson isn't the Knicks' problem, at least in terms of gametime decisions. The problem with the Knicks is their personnel. Some of you thinking that a lineup change will solve the problem don't realize it is like rearranging the chairs on the titanic.

The Knicks lack two things that will prevent them from being a true contender: (a) they lack young talent; and (b) they lack unselfish players with good character. The Knicks came out of the gate hot because they were lucky to avoid injuries and they were playing like they had something to prove. Usually bad character comes out over the course of the season, and such an old team will rarely stay healthy.

The Knicks' offseason was a joke. Letting Lin go and bringing in Felton and a bunch of washed up players was ridiculous. Some of you who bought into it were fooled big time and will continue to be fooled every season.

HARSH! Hey but sometimes the truth hurts. I'd hate to say this but until the right GM is brought in, I can't see the knicks even winning a trophy. Man its tough being a Knick fan.
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God
And1: 14,404

Post#135 » by ibraheim718 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:34 am

Butch718 wrote:I'm talking about in terms of talent. Personally I love the way that current Pacers team is constructed. Same with Chicago. On top of that those two teams are playing without their best scorers. I don't care what anyone says, losing Granger and Rose makes a huge difference. Those two will only make them better come playoff time. Just imagine how this team would look if Melo were out for the year. I think we would be fighting for the last playoff spot instead of being in the middle of the pack like Indiana and Chicago.

You know what's ironic.. Chicago can afford to let Rose fully heal from ACL and still play well.. their best player.. but we had to throw Shumpert in the starting line up... a bit player.. and are struggling. You figure it would be the other way around.
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God
And1: 14,404

Post#136 » by ibraheim718 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:36 am

wellpact wrote:
Bill Bradley wrote:Woodson isn't the Knicks' problem, at least in terms of gametime decisions. The problem with the Knicks is their personnel. Some of you thinking that a lineup change will solve the problem don't realize it is like rearranging the chairs on the titanic.

The Knicks lack two things that will prevent them from being a true contender: (a) they lack young talent; and (b) they lack unselfish players with good character. The Knicks came out of the gate hot because they were lucky to avoid injuries and they were playing like they had something to prove. Usually bad character comes out over the course of the season, and such an old team will rarely stay healthy.

The Knicks' offseason was a joke. Letting Lin go and bringing in Felton and a bunch of washed up players was ridiculous. Some of you who bought into it were fooled big time and will continue to be fooled every season.

HARSH! Hey but sometimes the truth hurts. I'd hate to say this but until the right GM is brought in, I can't see the knicks even winning a trophy. Man its tough being a Knick fan.

Even if you brought the right GM in that doesn't mean that schmuck of an owner will let him do his job... this peckerhead would probably veto Jerry West because Isiah thomas didn't agree with him. But hey it's his team and he pays the checks. And Knicks fans will feed the beast anyway.
GettinitDone
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,867

Post#137 » by GettinitDone » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:56 am

We're old, that's why we cannot expect to beat opposition with our physical attributes. It's asinine!

A passed ball still travels faster from point A to point B than Usain Bolt sprinting without the ball. We have to play smart, pass the frickin ball, and bodies will start to move.

This can still work.

Somebody, with balls, get in the face of Melo and tell him to start moving the ball, because all this talk about ball movement and player movement are useless if the best player doesn't buy it. Majority of role players who make $1mil - 4mil are too intimidated to talk to their franchise teammate who makes $15mil per to change their game... that's why most don't bother.

It starts from the top, the owner, the GM, the coach who realizes ball-stopping is no formula for winning a championship. They have to have this awareness and decide that winning is more important, and too important to let their franchise player's ego stand in the way. We can always buy Carmelo merchandises in any shop, if we're his fan, but we cannot buy a championship trophy for the Knicks. This is about the Knicks, not about Melo, unless the name is "The New York Carmelos". The Knicks were here first, the Knicks are our first prize, not Melo, we don't owe nothing to Melo. Ask ourselves this: "am I a Knick fan for the Knicks or am I a Knick fan for Carmelo Anthony?" He has to be a part of "the collective effort in bringing the New York Knicks a championship". If not, then he shouldn't be on the team, he can be on the All Star team, smiling when his team is being blown out by 30-40, or Shanghai Sharks dropping 50ppg in a season, but if you don "New York" orange and blue, you better play for the Knicks, the Knicks fans, the city, and the people who care.

Doggone it! This is not about Lin but the thing that I like about Lin, and the reason why I am his fan is because he moves the ball and promotes team ball. He is genuine about putting team win ahead of his individual stats... whether he's getting paid 800K per or $8mil per. When he played for New York he played for New York. Linsanity was Linsanity because he played for "New York" and we felt a part of it and he made us all proud. Why? Because his game, again, promotes team and team work. He has a knack for making EVERYone (his teammates, us although we're not playing) involved in and for a cause: together we are stronger, and together we're victorious, no matter the result. It's not about supporting Lin or hating Melo, but it's about supporting ANY player who supports this "team" vision. Lin could be Indian, asian, Hispanic, caucasian, black, or orangutan, for all I care, we have to support players who buy this vision. Lin not only buys it, he embodies it. Driving out a player with that embodiment says a lot that the people at the top have other priorities more important other than "winning" or team".

Our situation is like financial crisis in Spain. We are going nowhere without Dolan stepping down or admitting his mistake and changing himself (which is a longggg shot).
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#138 » by Dr. Detfink » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:21 am

Fire Woodson? He said, "YES." To every thing Melo wanted. NO ONE else is going to do that. And who would replace him? NOT Phil Jackson who looked at that roster and looked the other way.

ENJOY this run...hope for the best. There are WORSE fates than being in top 4 of the EC.
Knick Swisher
Head Coach
And1: 334

Post#139 » by Knick Swisher » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:33 pm

There are alot things Woodson does that frustrate me, but no the point that I think he should be fired.
Xekana
Senior
And1: 12

Post#140 » by Xekana » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:50 pm

TheToothFairy wrote:What a stupid thread

What a Constructive, helpful post.

I think we should at least let Woodson finish the season before we call for his head. Let's not forget how much we were praising him last season, and even earlier this season.

Return to New York Knicks