ImageImageImageImageImage

Knicks @ Raptors PG Thread

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God
And1: 14,404

Re: Knicks @ Raptors PG Thread 

Post#241 » by ibraheim718 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:09 am

greenhughes wrote:I will not believe that Woodson wants guards switch off to Novak one on one. Not ever.

Yeah I think people are seeing certain little clips here and there and are thinking he means it's okay to switch for instance on baseline screens instead of chase... or that it's ok to not bust your ass and find a way to switch back or switch with another player behind the ball that is a better matchup.
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 38,214

Post#242 » by KnicksGod » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:10 am

Probably doesn't matter if we're the 2nd seed or the 5th seed. Won't matter a helluva lot come playoff time really, if you think about it.

Meantime, we may move up a few draft spots.
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#243 » by Thugger HBC » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:10 am

Clyde_Style wrote:Remember how Sheed was credited with getting the guys to vocalize their positions on the floor? That's how we started the season, actually playing the switches actively. Do it half-heartedly and you get burned repeatedly.

Yup, Sheed actually can see the entire floor, and he communicates.

Tyson did it last year, but seems to not talk at all, and the team needs him to.

Especially if their are guys on the floor that dont have even basic concepts.
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
StephNYKurry
General Manager
And1: 2,198

Post#244 » by StephNYKurry » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:10 am

kNicksGmen wrote:even if you switch properly it leads to mismatches. it leads to amare or chandler guarding a perimeter player or felton/jr/kidd guarding a big in the post. i'm sick of it.

i was watching the end of the thunder game and saw the thunder defend the pick n roll properly. trap the ball handler and force him out. then the big recovers back to his guy. i'd rather take the risk of leaving the big open for a second rather than giving up a mismatch.

it's not even pick n roll defense half the time. lots of times players will just walk by and we'll switch just for the hell of it.

I LOATHE the switching for the hell of it and I don't agree with switching every pick and roll. Side pick and rolls going toward the baseline are fine, but for the most part, you need to help and recover. I don't think I've seen Amare properly hedge a screen and roll. Dude is just lost.
What do I care...it's rigged anyway
AllanHoustonFan
RealGM
And1: 6,966

Post#245 » by AllanHoustonFan » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:11 am

Thugger HBC wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:Remember how Sheed was credited with getting the guys to vocalize their positions on the floor? That's how we started the season, actually playing the switches actively. Do it half-heartedly and you get burned repeatedly.

Tyson did it last year, but seems to not talk at all, and the team needs him to.

Tyson has really pissed me off this year with his laziness. I think he got big headed with all the accolades he has achieved over the last 2 years.
#MKGA
Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Post#246 » by Greenie » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:13 am

ibraheim718 wrote:
greenhughes wrote:I will not believe that Woodson wants guards switch off to Novak one on one. Not ever.

Yeah I think people are seeing certain little clips here and there and are thinking he means it's okay to switch for instance on baseline screens instead of chase... or that it's ok to not bust your ass and find a way to switch back or switch with another player behind the ball that is a better matchup.

This.

Amare and Novak are not supposed to switch to perimeter players. I can see big to big or guard to guard. Heck I can even see big to a SF type. Never a Novak switched to a Lowry.
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#247 » by KnicksGod » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:13 am

I hate switching too. Lowry hit a lucky shot but Tyson shouldn't be chasing him. Makes little sense, the whole thing.

Woodson looks like D'Antoni by an amount that is too much for my liking.
MeloTime
Sixth Man
And1: 409

Post#248 » by MeloTime » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:14 am

We needed to make deadline moves and we didn't.

Our targets should've been Artest and Blair.

We could''ve pulled off both trades.

3 way with OKC and Spurs.

OKC- Brewer
SPURS - 2nd round pick ( thats all they really wanted)
Knicks - Blair

KNICKS- Artest
LAKERS - Kurt Thomas, Novak & Copeland ( Both MDA ideal players)

Line up

Felton/Kidd
Shump/JR
Melo/ Artest
Stat/Blair
Tyson/ K-Mart

Bench- sheed & camby

Second unit would be tough as nails !

Artest/Blair/K-mart

These moves were possible and worked for all teams. I dont know why we stood pat.
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#249 » by Thugger HBC » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:16 am

ibraheim718 wrote:But wait, wait.. you need to have certain personnel to do this successfully.. personnel this team certainly doesn't have... you need to have big guards, tons of athleticism, and guys that are long and known for defending.

Wrong guys are playing alot of minutes....mainly Kidd, if the team is gonna switch like this.

But the guys switch almost immediately and that just isn't how it should work.

Someone should be pressuring the ball, but it looks like they try to beat the inital screen, and without fail someone gets caught looking.

He actually want Novak to foul :lol:

Woodson exact words is "makes no sense to take those fouls to the bench with you".

KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#250 » by KnicksGod » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:17 am

One final thought: K-Mart will help. We need a big with athleticism and experience who can clean up around the basket a little.
StephNYKurry
General Manager
And1: 2,198

Post#251 » by StephNYKurry » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:17 am

Last point of the night from me,

People who are truly concerned about where we finish in the East are clueless unless we're talking about Home Court for the Eastern portion of the playoffs. It ain't important. If we ain't winning a championship, we're just the first loser. At some point, whether it be the first round or the Conference Finals, we're going to have to play the Heat. I won't take any solace in getting past teams not named the Heat only to lose to the Heat in the conference finals. The focus should be on playing good basketball at some point close to the playoffs. I could care less about seeding. If this team gets back to playing as they did at the beginning of the season, it doesn't matter where we play. They can beat any team in the league when they are right.
What do I care...it's rigged anyway
Butch718
RealGM
And1: 6,542

Post#252 » by Butch718 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:17 am

MeloTime wrote:We needed to make deadline moves and we didn't.

Our targets should've been Artest and Blair.

We could''ve pulled off both trades.

3 way with OKC and Spurs.

OKC- Brewer
SPURS - 2nd round pick ( thats all they really wanted)
Knicks - Blair

KNICKS- Artest
LAKERS - Kurt Thomas, Novak & Copeland ( Both MDA ideal players)

Line up

Felton/Kidd
Shump/JR
Melo/ Artest
Stat/Blair
Tyson/ K-Mart

Bench- sheed & camby

Second unit would be tough as nails !

Artest/Blair/K-mart

These moves were possible and worked for all teams. I dont know why we stood pat.

Just because you would have made those trades, doesn't mean other GM's are dumb enough to do it.
Butch718
RealGM

Post#253 » by Butch718 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:18 am

KnicksGod wrote:One final thought: K-Mart will help. We need a big with athleticism and experience who can clean up around the basket a little.

He's not going to help with our perimeter defense, which is an even bigger problem than lacking a quality backup big ATM.
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#254 » by KnicksGod » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:19 am

StephNYKurry wrote:Last point of the night from me,

People who are truly concerned about where we finish in the East are clueless unless we're talking about Home Court for the Eastern portion of the playoffs. It ain't important. If we ain't winning a championship, we're just the first loser. At some point, whether it be the first round or the Conference Finals, we're going to have to play the Heat. I won't take any solace in getting past teams not named the Heat only to lose to the Heat in the conference finals. The focus should be on playing good basketball at some point close to the playoffs. I could care less about seeding. If this team gets back to playing as they did at the beginning of the season, it doesn't matter where we play. They can beat any team in the league when they are right.

I strongly agree. I would take being healthy AND peaking at the right time over being the 2nd seed but being out of sync or hurt. I'd rather be the 5th seed and moving in the right direction than hanging my hat on a high seed that guarantees you nothing.

And as I said, we may be moving up a couple of draft spots. We need to finally grab the player we want at the draft position we get and a few times we missed a really good player by a single or two draft spots.
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#255 » by Thugger HBC » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:19 am

AllanHoustonFan wrote:
Thugger HBC wrote:

Tyson has really pissed me off this year with his laziness. I think he got big headed with all the accolades he has achieved over the last 2 years.

Just imagine what it would look like without him.

Just my opinion, I think this season Tyson has slight regrets about coming here, his demeanor has changed quite a bit.

I betcha he's watching Golden State, but he wont admit that.

KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#256 » by KnicksGod » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:20 am

Butch718 wrote:
KnicksGod wrote:One final thought: K-Mart will help. We need a big with athleticism and experience who can clean up around the basket a little.

He's not going to help with our perimeter defense, which is an even bigger problem than lacking a quality backup big ATM.

Maybe not. But shoring up your interior D actually should make your perimeter D a lot more aggressive.

That said, Felton seems totally incapable of staying in front of his man. It's a bit scary to see. It's like he's 42.

OK maybe I wasn't ready for my final thought.
seren
RealGM
And1: 4,204

Post#257 » by seren » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:21 am

StephNYKurry wrote:Last point of the night from me,

If this is the case, we and 28 other teams should fold. :roll:
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#258 » by Thugger HBC » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:23 am

It wont be a layup drill, I' agree with that.

But he's gonna be involved in a measure of that switching thinking too, he wont be just weakside or manning the paint.

Butch718
RealGM

Post#259 » by Butch718 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:26 am

Thugger HBC wrote:Just my opinion, I think this season Tyson has slight regrets about coming here, his demeanor has changed quite a bit.

That's stretching it. His demeanor has been the same all year long. He was playing inconsistent defense even when we were winning at a high percentage that first month and a half of the season. He's had the same attitude all year round.

Honestly, I just think he got complacent.
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#260 » by Thugger HBC » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:29 am

Butch718 wrote:
Thugger HBC wrote:Just my opinion, I think this season Tyson has slight regrets about coming here, his demeanor has changed quite a bit.

That's stretching it. His demeanor has been the same all year long. He was playing inconsistent defense even when we were winning at a high percentage that first month and a half of the season. He's had the same attitude all year round.

Honestly, I just think he got complacent.

I'm actually referring all the way back when the seaon began, not sure what part you're disagreeing with.

Return to New York Knicks