ImageImageImageImageImage

Health, Fitness, and Workout Thread

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Nostrand Ave
Pro Prospect
And1: 295

Health, Fitness, and Workout Thread 

Post#1 » by Nostrand Ave » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:55 pm

Ive been doing pull-ups and push ups for 4 days in a row.

I can barely lift my arms up. If I sit down on the floor I have trouble pushing myself off the ground.

Is this normal and it will go away? Or am I doing something wrong?
offense
RealGM
And1: 4,361

Re: OT: My body feels tight and sore from working out 

Post#2 » by offense » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:01 pm

First of all you aren't suppose to do exercise each day in a row. You need to take a one day rest in between. You do feel sore usually when you first start to work out in particular, although it can still happen to experienced people. Choose one day to workout and then the next day rest, then workout again and then rest,etc
Knicks_Fan2
RealGM
And1: 4,648

Post#3 » by Knicks_Fan2 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:03 pm

offense wrote:First of all you aren't suppose to do exercise each day in a row. You need to take a one day rest in between. You do feel sore usually when you first start to work out in particular, although it can still happen to experienced people. Choose one day to workout and then the next day rest, then workout again and then rest,etc

Lol to this advice.
prophet_of_rage
RealGM
And1: 6,650

Post#4 » by prophet_of_rage » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:07 pm

You have burned yourself out. The point of working out is to damage your muscles. When they repair themselves they form bigger stronger muscles. You are not letting yourself recover which is the main part of exercise. Without it you're just breaking down your body. Stretch, take a nice hot soak, get a muscle stripping massage and call it a day for a couple days before you go back to the workout.
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#5 » by Thugger HBC » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:07 pm

probably just overworked and sounds like your're just beginning.

Exercising everyday is perfectly fine and recommended, but if you do become as sore as you say you are just do some light exercises while you recover, otherwise you might stay sore even longer.
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
Michael_Scott
Rookie
And1: 64

Post#6 » by Michael_Scott » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:08 pm

When you first start working out, or if you haven't worked out in a long time, you will get sore in the given part of your body you work out. The advice given above is incorrect. You should have 1-2 days of rest per week. I like to go to the gym on a cycle of 1-2-3,1-2-3, then have an off day on sunday (or whatever the 7th day of your rotation is). Lately I've been slacking a bit and taking 2-3 days off per week however. As long as you stick with it, the soreness and tightness will go away with time.
frogfood
Suspended
And1: 1,609

Post#7 » by frogfood » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:09 pm

Nostrand Ave wrote:Ive been doing pull-ups and push ups for 4 days in a row.

I can barely lift my arms up. If I sit down on the floor I have trouble pushing myself off the ground.

Is this normal and it will go away? Or am I doing something wrong?

Sorry OP. This crippling condition is for life.
spree2kawhi
RealGM
And1: 3,820

Post#8 » by spree2kawhi » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:18 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9IZDInBv1M[/youtube]
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Re: Health, Fitness, and Workout Thread 

Post#9 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:47 pm

i edited the title -- making it a general health, fitness, and workout thread. hope that's ok...i couldn't find the other one. figured this would be best (instead of having multiple people make threads, we can use this one).

anyways, i have no issue doing the same workouts 2 days in a row. it won't help build size, but it's exercise. if you're too tired to do it, then stop and take a rest day.

anyways, i'm working out 6-7 days a week (7th day is usually just cardio, but sometimes i add in a light full body circuit or something). feel great and looking great.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Post#10 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:49 pm

offense wrote:First of all you aren't suppose to do exercise each day in a row. You need to take a one day rest in between. You do feel sore usually when you first start to work out in particular, although it can still happen to experienced people. Choose one day to workout and then the next day rest, then workout again and then rest,etc

not necessarily true. you're not supposed to work the same muscle group two days in a row (unless if you focus on muscle group one day that may also a secondary muscle group that you would work out the following day) -- i.e., chest monday, tuesday triceps, etc...
Grinditout
RealGM
And1: 2,365

Post#11 » by Grinditout » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:50 pm

Get ready for a million different opinions lol
Brooklyn_Yards
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,322

Post#12 » by Brooklyn_Yards » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:58 pm

Try stretching before you excercise and cut your excercise time to 45-60 minutes, you'll get better results that way. By workingout everyday in small intervals instead doing it for long periods of time which will exhaust your body and require a longer recovery time.
LBnySuaveJav23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,217

Post#13 » by LBnySuaveJav23 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:36 pm

Squats, cologne (aqua di Gio for the summer, farenheit for the winter), hydrate (coconut water), and after fap (arms,wrist and abs). Do it brah.
"Yeah, you are. You right, bro" - Joe Dumars telling every PG on the roster they are starting.
NYKinMIA
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,989

Post#14 » by NYKinMIA » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:42 pm

Personally, I feel a little ashamed if I don't get some good DOMS from my strength training.

I lift heavy and hard 4 days a week, and I do HIIT on a stationary bike coupled with mobility training and stretching the other 3.

Diet is the most important aspect of training. When you get that dialed-in you can go from Tank Swole to Gandhi Lean at will if you adjust your caloric intake and macros. After diet, it's consistency, determination, and avoiding training stagnation. #Broscience.

Also, don't stretch BEFORE you strength train, it decreases strength...google it. Stretching is great on off-days or as a cool-down.

Lastly, you have to find what works for you and keeps you motivated. Most people hate exercise, but when you start looking forward to workouts...it's like magic! Most people I know swear I've found the fountain of youth and won't share the magical elixir. 8-)
J0rdan4life42o
General Manager
And1: 263

Post#15 » by J0rdan4life42o » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:01 pm

NYKinMIA wrote:Also, don't stretch BEFORE you strength train, it decreases strength...google it. Stretching is great on off-days or as a cool-down.

This is actually pretty good advice. There's a common misconception that if you don't stretch before weight training, you increase the likelihood of pulling or straining a muscle. More myth than fact. I would recommend doing core exercises or even warming up on the treadmill for 7-10 minutes before lifting. Stretch post work out.
Little Italia
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,134

Post#16 » by Little Italia » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:18 pm

Yeah i've noticed when i stretch it does sacrifice some important reps in the end. I hate that.

Instead of stretching i just start with a light weight and do 12-15 reps.

"New York Knicks will never win a championship with James Dolan at the helm. Off with his head!!"

WELCOME TO MEDIOCRE HELL
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,492

Post#17 » by j4remi » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:39 pm

I do a real quick light stretch before a work out but not a serious stretch, I think a warm up set is way more important any way.

Anyway, give us some details into what you're trying to do and you can get more than just the general tips in here. I've been doing upper-lower splits for a two months now and it's really showing strength gains in short intervals and I can get away with missing a day once in a while.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
Fat
RealGM
And1: 23,741

Post#18 » by Fat » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:50 pm

Thread needs to be burned

Spoiler:
Miami Heat Baf

Markelle Fultz
Donovan Mitchell
Gary Trent Jr
Al Horford
Steven Adams
Brooklyn_Yards
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,322

Post#19 » by Brooklyn_Yards » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:51 pm

Yeah I didnt read the strength training part but stretching has never limited me in my workouts but then again my body is completely different than yours lol
AmazingJason
RealGM
And1: 6,142

Post#20 » by AmazingJason » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:05 am

Recovery is really underrated. I used to work out 3-4x/week, but then I read about Tim Ferriss' suggestion of having longer recovery periods. I've gotten superior results with 2x/week, and sometimes I'll get lazy and work out 1x a week. Hasn't affected me negatively at all.
BAT 18.0 - MINNESOTA TIMBERWOLVES

El Poochio - POBO
Amazing Jason - Assistant to the VPOBO

PG: Lonzo Ball/Dennis Smith Jr.
SG: Donovan Mitchell/R. McGruder
SF: Jaylen Brown/Josh Jackson
PF: Jayson Tatum/T. Booker
C: Joel Embiid/McGee

Return to New York Knicks