ImageImageImageImageImage

Health, Fitness, and Workout Thread

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Meat
Head Coach
And1: 4,549

Re: Health, Fitness, and Workout Thread 

Post#1041 » by Meat » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:28 am

outside of poor form most people hurt themselves doing movements that will never suit their physiology. Pain is pretty good indication that you shouldn't be doing something. that's why there's 900 different movements\machines at the gym, do the **** that doesnt cause pain
frogfood
Suspended
And1: 1,609

Post#1042 » by frogfood » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:09 pm

oldscho0led wrote:
frogfood wrote:Lately, I found getting your body fully warmed up and a little sweaty (not just a warm up set) really helps.

I'm on a slow cut. 1800 calories a day for the past 2 months. Yesterday, I broke down and ate an entire pizza pie and a lot of cheap crap beer. I'm not gonna make it bros.

You can do it man. Just what Knicksfan20 is sayin...PUSH UPS.

I myself had 6 years of hiatus from gym. I'm just doing push ups 2-3x a week. Heck, I'm still not back into training mode. Can't get past 60 pushups (20 reps/set). So its push ups for my upper body, and biking for my lower body. If you're kinda lazy, this will do the trick imo.

Thanks bruh. I've been doin boot camp to supplement my weight training and it's doin wonders. I love fitness. The dieting part is by far the hardest. Last week, I was thinking of pizza 24/7 for a week until I broke down.
frogfood
Suspended
And1: 1,609

Post#1043 » by frogfood » Thu Nov 6, 2014 1:20 am

Uuuuoooaaaaahhhh gentlemen, last post was from Sept 25th?

Starting my winter bulk a little early.
Boarder Patrol
Head Coach
And1: 3,743

Post#1044 » by Boarder Patrol » Thu Nov 6, 2014 3:03 am

Cross country is over, shed a solid amount of weight (14 lbs in 2 1/2 months) but a lot of that was probably muscle as I didn't have THAT much fat to lose to begin with. Now I'm getting into lifting, going to try to go 5 times a week, while doing some cardio everyday.

Before I start putting on a lot of weight I want to get as lean as possible, cut another 5 pounds or so but while lifting heavily so I can keep it mostly fat. Here's the workout I did yesterday for upper, look good to you guys as a base?

1. Bench 5x5
2. Bent over row 5x5
3. Over-head press 5x5
4. Bicep Curl 3x8
5. Tricep Pushdown 3x8
Knicksfan20
RealGM
And1: 5,759

Post#1045 » by Knicksfan20 » Thu Nov 6, 2014 3:41 am

Boarder Patrol wrote:Cross country is over, shed a solid amount of weight (14 lbs in 2 1/2 months) but a lot of that was probably muscle as I didn't have THAT much fat to lose to begin with. Now I'm getting into lifting, going to try to go 5 times a week, while doing some cardio everyday.

Before I start putting on a lot of weight I want to get as lean as possible, cut another 5 pounds or so but while lifting heavily so I can keep it mostly fat. Here's the workout I did yesterday for upper, look good to you guys as a base?

1. Bench 5x5
2. Bent over row 5x5
3. Over-head press 5x5
4. Bicep Curl 3x8
5. Tricep Pushdown 3x8

This makes no sense. If you want to add strength and are going to add weight, why would you want to lose weight first? If anything just stay at your current weight and lift heavy. Why would you lose 5 lbs to gain 20 lbs when you can just add 15 lbs.

If you stay at your current weight and keep lifting, you will still reach your goal of getting leaner looking. Just dont eat crap foods. BUt if you are going to put the weight on anyways, just put the weight on now. It will help you lift more. Or at least stay at your same weight. You are just delaying your strength goals.

Add pullups to your workout. Do them before your bent over rows. I always start my back/bi day with 3-4 sets of pullups. I dont like mixing back/bi/chest/tri day into one, but you can if thats what you do or dont have time to commit to the gym to be there 4 days a week.
BigShot Bojan
General Manager
And1: 7,815

Post#1046 » by BigShot Bojan » Thu Nov 6, 2014 4:14 am

Boarder Patrol wrote:Cross country is over, shed a solid amount of weight (14 lbs in 2 1/2 months) but a lot of that was probably muscle as I didn't have THAT much fat to lose to begin with. Now I'm getting into lifting, going to try to go 5 times a week, while doing some cardio everyday.

1. Bench 5x5
2. Bent over row 5x5
3. Over-head press 5x5
4. Bicep Curl 3x8
5. Tricep Pushdown 3x8
how about some full body splits...
Formerly Knicks85

Capn'O wrote:I wonder what Paul Reed's feelings are about metal bats.
Boarder Patrol
Head Coach

Post#1047 » by Boarder Patrol » Thu Nov 6, 2014 4:51 am

knicks85 wrote:

1. Bench 5x5
2. Bent over row 5x5
3. Over-head press 5x5
4. Bicep Curl 3x8
5. Tricep Pushdown 3x8
how about some full body splits...

I'm planning on 5 days a week, so I thought I'd do two upper days, two lower days (1 heavy, 1 light as I run and at least once a week do a very hilly/tough resistance run) and then on the 5th day I'd work on form or patch up whatever muscle group needs work, like a flex day. On the light lower day I could also work on some upper stuff, since right now I've got a lot of work to do on my back and shoulders.

Would full body be beneficial? As far as exercises go right now I'm just trying to figure out what works and lift as heavy as possible, I doubt I'll have a set routine for a few weeks yet.
Boarder Patrol
Head Coach

Post#1048 » by Boarder Patrol » Thu Nov 6, 2014 4:54 am

Knicksfan20 wrote:

1. Bench 5x5
2. Bent over row 5x5
3. Over-head press 5x5
4. Bicep Curl 3x8
5. Tricep Pushdown 3x8

This makes no sense. If you want to add strength and are going to add weight, why would you want to lose weight first? If anything just stay at your current weight and lift heavy. Why would you lose 5 lbs to gain 20 lbs when you can just add 15 lbs.

If you stay at your current weight and keep lifting, you will still reach your goal of getting leaner looking. Just dont eat crap foods. BUt if you are going to put the weight on anyways, just put the weight on now. It will help you lift more. Or at least stay at your same weight. You are just delaying your strength goals.

Add pullups to your workout. Do them before your bent over rows. I always start my back/bi day with 3-4 sets of pullups. I dont like mixing back/bi/chest/tri day into one, but you can if thats what you do or dont have time to commit to the gym to be there 4 days a week.

As I lose weight, I want to keep the loss to as much fat as possible while losing as little muscle as possible. As a gain, I want to gain as much muscle as possible while gaining as little fat as possible. So in the end I'd come out leaner than had I kept my flab and then decided to gain 15. Just a mini 'cut' followed by a bulk.
Knicksfan20
RealGM
And1: 5,759

Post#1049 » by Knicksfan20 » Thu Nov 6, 2014 11:08 am

Boarder Patrol wrote:
Knicksfan20 wrote:

1. Bench 5x5
2. Bent over row 5x5
3. Over-head press 5x5
4. Bicep Curl 3x8
5. Tricep Pushdown 3x8

As I lose weight, I want to keep the loss to as much fat as possible while losing as little muscle as possible. As a gain, I want to gain as much muscle as possible while gaining as little fat as possible. So in the end I'd come out leaner than had I kept my flab and then decided to gain 15. Just a mini 'cut' followed by a bulk.

Which is what every weightlifters goal is. You can gain weight and lost fat. You can stay at the same weight and gain muscle/lose fat.

If you were to gain 10-15 lbs now... you would look a lil softer then normal.. but if you stayed at that weight for a month and as long as you arnt knocking down a buncha hotdogs and dorritos you will lean up.

It all depends i guess what your current weight/height is. IF you consider yourself already on the "Soft" side... just stay at that weight and keep training. If you cut weight you are only going to hurt your strength gains in the mean time. If you plan to put the weight on anyways, it makes no sense to cut 5 lbs just to regain it.

Just stay at your current weight and keep working. Also look into intermittent fasting. I was able to put on 10 lbs while fasting and barely gained any fat at all in the process.
ReturnofMVP3
RealGM
And1: 11,580

Post#1050 » by ReturnofMVP3 » Sat Feb 7, 2015 12:54 am

Been working out hard this last month, reached personal goals in my bench, squat, deadlift, rowes, and military press. I got a workout partner now so at the end of each exercise I am going to max weight and doing 1 rep just to give that last big burn to the muscle. Seeing great results from that.
Donald Trump is an idiot.
Meat
Head Coach

Post#1051 » by Meat » Sat Feb 7, 2015 3:10 am

ReturnofMVP3 wrote:Been working out hard this last month, reached personal goals in my bench, squat, deadlift, rowes, and military press. I got a workout partner now so at the end of each exercise I am going to max weight and doing 1 rep just to give that last big burn to the muscle. Seeing great results from that.

dont do that, you want to do your max once you're fresh. i don't know what your poundages are but at heavier weights going for a max when you're already at the point\pass the point of fatigue is a sure fire way to snap your **** up(get injured, snap city ect). if you're going to max out warm up and do singles, dont go through a hypertrophy workout then throw in maxes, certainly not at the end. you also cant really gauge your true 1rm because if you're doing it at the end you're not giving it your all

you also dont want to max out every week\every workout, some movements like deadlifts take weeks to fully recover from. in all reality you should only try to max out once every month-6 weeks. you can still hit pr's in other ways(reps, new movments) a 5,3 or 2 rep pr is just as important as a 1rm.
ReturnofMVP3
RealGM

Post#1052 » by ReturnofMVP3 » Sat Feb 7, 2015 3:25 am

Meat wrote:
ReturnofMVP3 wrote:Been working out hard this last month, reached personal goals in my bench, squat, deadlift, rowes, and military press. I got a workout partner now so at the end of each exercise I am going to max weight and doing 1 rep just to give that last big burn to the muscle. Seeing great results from that.

dont do that, you want to do your max once you're fresh. i don't know what your poundages are but at heavier weights going for a max when you're already at the point\pass the point of fatigue is a sure fire way to snap your **** up(get injured, snap city ect). if you're going to max out warm up and do singles, dont go through a hypertrophy workout then throw in maxes, certainly not at the end. you also cant really gauge your true 1rm because if you're doing it at the end you're not giving it your all

you also dont want to max out every week\every workout, some movements like deadlifts take weeks to fully recover from. in all reality you should only try to max out once every month-6 weeks. you can still hit pr's in other ways(reps, new movments) a 5,3 or 2 rep pr is just as important as a 1rm.

Interesting, I usually do them at the end of the week (like today), but of course preventing injury is the biggest factor on how I do/when I do my exercises. I'll stop.

My biggest issue is that prior to doing max outs I was hitting plateaus on my typical 5 set 5 reps of heavy weights. Is there anything you'd suggest? I hear some people do supersets.
robbie_886
Sophomore
And1: 104

Post#1053 » by robbie_886 » Sat Feb 7, 2015 3:46 am

Don't forget to work on your flexibility, and legit cardio. Do you want to be the swole guy who gets winded after running two minutes? I despise cardio - Did squats today, and then did sprints until my lungs felt like they were on fire, and then some. Weights, and general muscle development is pretty easy.
Meat
Head Coach

Post#1054 » by Meat » Sat Feb 7, 2015 8:46 pm

ReturnofMVP3 wrote:
Meat wrote:

Interesting, I usually do them at the end of the week (like today), but of course preventing injury is the biggest factor on how I do/when I do my exercises. I'll stop.

My biggest issue is that prior to doing max outs I was hitting plateaus on my typical 5 set 5 reps of heavy weights. Is there anything you'd suggest? I hear some people do supersets.

Are you looking to specially get bigger or stronger? if stronger, best i can suggest is to find a program(5,3,1 cube and west side are my favourites) and stick to it no matter how stupid it seems. starting strength 5x5 is outgrown rather easily.

http://www.powerliftingtowin.com/powerlifting-programs/

has a lot of programs listed, pick one and give it a shot, the should all work off a % of your 1rm.
ReturnofMVP3
RealGM

Post#1055 » by ReturnofMVP3 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:02 pm

Trying to increase my deadlift, rounding back a lot, any advice on correcting this?
ReturnofMVP3
RealGM

Post#1056 » by ReturnofMVP3 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:04 pm

Meat wrote:
ReturnofMVP3 wrote:
Meat wrote:

Are you looking to specially get bigger or stronger? if stronger, best i can suggest is to find a program(5,3,1 cube and west side are my favourites) and stick to it no matter how stupid it seems. starting strength 5x5 is outgrown rather easily.

http://www.powerliftingtowin.com/powerlifting-programs/

has a lot of programs listed, pick one and give it a shot, the should all work off a % of your 1rm.

Thanks, and I am looking to get bigger, I figured that correlated with getting stronger (heavy weight low reps is what I normally do). I did take out the max outs. I'll look into those programs was doing a 5x5.
NYKinMIA
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,970

Post#1057 » by NYKinMIA » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:30 pm

ReturnofMVP3 wrote:Trying to increase my deadlift, rounding back a lot, any advice on correcting this?

Yes, drop weight on the bar until perfect form returns. If your technique is suffering...it's too much weight. Simple.
Meat
Head Coach

Post#1058 » by Meat » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:43 pm

ReturnofMVP3 wrote:Trying to increase my deadlift, rounding back a lot, any advice on correcting this?

drop the weights a bit, and work on mobility,
Sometimes it's as simple as your hams are too tight and you round your back to compensate
Nostrand Ave
Pro Prospect
And1: 294

Post#1059 » by Nostrand Ave » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:33 am

I just joined Planet Fitness. Can someone help me on a workout plan for gaining mass muscle?

I wonder if I should even be on treadmill/bicycle machine. I'm basically just going in twice a week trying new things. But I want to get more organized.
Meat
Head Coach

Post#1060 » by Meat » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:35 am

Nostrand Ave wrote:I just joined Planet Fitness. Can someone help me on a workout plan for gaining mass muscle?

I wonder if I should even be on treadmill/bicycle machine. I'm basically just going in twice a week trying new things. But I want to get more organized.

well do you want to be strong or look strong. also step 1 is not going to planet fitness

Return to New York Knicks