ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: All Things Hip Hop thread (bringin' it back)

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Iron Mantis
RealGM
And1: 18,368

Re: OT: All Things Hip Hop thread (bringin' it back) 

Post#441 » by Iron Mantis » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:16 pm

KnickswiththeKnack wrote:
Iron Mantis wrote:
Knicky Barnes wrote:[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-Nlz8ot2FI[/youtube]
Speculation on Your Old Droog actually being Nas...
What you think?

I'll be finding out Sept 3rd. I'm going to his debut in NYC

Looks like we found out a bit early :D

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0-Wf_jurZ4[/youtube]

Dude's nice as hell. A lotta cats try to imitate the old school, but this dude definitely got it.

Yes! saw that vid. I'm still going to hear this cat. Dude is absolutely sick with the pen! Encouraging that we have a new artist who can deliver amazing hip hop for years to come!
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,481

Post#442 » by j4remi » Tue Sep 2, 2014 2:43 pm

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omaeCo_YwIw[/youtube]
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
LifeLongKNICK
Veteran
And1: 651

Post#443 » by LifeLongKNICK » Wed Sep 3, 2014 1:28 am

mix **** up a bit...not sure if anyone enjoys some dancehall riddims like i do.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7G_K9Nwy68&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#444 » by j4remi » Wed Sep 3, 2014 11:54 am

Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Fury
RealGM
And1: 14,934

Post#445 » by Fury » Wed Sep 3, 2014 3:50 pm

kane2021
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,067
Location: It's OK to feel that way. Just sick of hearing about it all the time.

Post#446 » by kane2021 » Wed Sep 3, 2014 4:58 pm

hundreth wrote:To all you hip hop lovers, I wanted to introduce you to an app I built called Rhymer's Block. Gives you real time rhyme suggestions as you type and a cloud based rhyme book to keep them safe in. There's even a social network to share your work and get feedback.

Mods, please let me know if I'm violating any terms. Thanks.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/rhymers ... 84182?mt=8

Please let me know what you think!

No offense to you. I think its really cool that you built this. But this makes me feel worse than fruity loops did. Its like a pinch runner. If you cant complete the task you out the game for someone else that can. An artist using a computer or app to do the actual "creative" part, is not an artist. Ghost writers are bad enough. A dude gets caught spitting a rhyme his smart phone made for him is fraud.

Back when I used to do my music thing, if you in a cypher and catch a dude claiming to free style, spitting familiar rhymes, he got clowned out of the cypher in shame. Things have changed so much that now a free style is just something they wrote but havnt put to wax yet. Its acceptable now unfortunately.

But if computers are going to do the thinking and creating might as well stop signing "artists" and let the computers have music sense its the machine that is actually the artist.

Nothing personal. I hope you have great success with your app. I really do. Thats really clever and I would not have the slightest idea where to even begin to build something like you did. Its just that I have always had a issue emcees deceiving people.

Of the 5 original elements of hip hop only one remains. Rapping. So if the computers are making the rhymes take the rappers out back and put them down. I would rather the computers took whats left of my culture and get credit for it than some poser connecting the dots on his iphone.

Either that or you need to look into getting a album credit and collecting royalties if your app writes a hit song (s) for somebody posing as the creator.

Never underestimate the strength of knowledge.

Bring back the physical game and send the softies home.
hundreth
Senior
And1: 373

Post#447 » by hundreth » Wed Sep 3, 2014 5:56 pm

kane2021 wrote:
hundreth wrote:To all you hip hop lovers, I wanted to introduce you to an app I built called Rhymer's Block. Gives you real time rhyme suggestions as you type and a cloud based rhyme book to keep them safe in. There's even a social network to share your work and get feedback.

Mods, please let me know if I'm violating any terms. Thanks.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/rhymers ... 84182?mt=8

Please let me know what you think!

No offense to you. I think its really cool that you built this. But this makes me feel worse than fruity loops did. Its like a pinch runner. If you cant complete the task you out the game for someone else that can. An artist using a computer or app to do the actual "creative" part, is not an artist. Ghost writers are bad enough. A dude gets caught spitting a rhyme his smart phone made for him is fraud.

Back when I used to do my music thing, if you in a cypher and catch a dude claiming to free style, spitting familiar rhymes, he got clowned out of the cypher in shame. Things have changed so much that now a free style is just something they wrote but havnt put to wax yet. Its acceptable now unfortunately.

But if computers are going to do the thinking and creating might as well stop signing "artists" and let the computers have music sense its the machine that is actually the artist.

Nothing personal. I hope you have great success with your app. I really do. Thats really clever and I would not have the slightest idea where to even begin to build something like you did. Its just that I have always had a issue emcees deceiving people.

Of the 5 original elements of hip hop only one remains. Rapping. So if the computers are making the rhymes take the rappers out back and put them down. I would rather the computers took whats left of my culture and get credit for it than some poser connecting the dots on his iphone.

Either that or you need to look into getting a album credit and collecting royalties if your app writes a hit song (s) for somebody posing as the creator.

I hear you kane, it's actually a compliment that you think this has the ability to do the thinking and creating for someone. The reality is that these tools already exist in different forms, and professionals use them. Finding rhymes is simply the busy work. There is no replacement for concepts, emotions, themes, wordplay, and creativity. There's no possible way I could write something to bridge the gap between the talented and talentless. The best rappers are always going to rise to the top.

The way I see it, I'm raising the playing field for everyone. The sharpest MCs will be a bit sharper, and the wackest MCs are going to be a little bit less wack. I'm just taking the busy work out of the equation. I'm also giving people a platform to share some ideas and get constructive feedback.

There are so many words in the English language, and the combinations are endless. Every generation is going to build upon the previous. I'm optimistic technologies like this will only make hip hop stronger. Cheers.
emo
RealGM
And1: 4,732

Post#448 » by emo » Sun Sep 7, 2014 6:16 am

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbxWj1UCXZw[/youtube]

Aiiight, Murda! I'm riding with this one.

In the rotation it goes.
Guano wrote:Will be interesting to see how this place transitions from killing Melo to turning on KP. I'm hoping Frank shows out so we can divide into Frank vs KP factions. That should be fun.
21 Hussle
Sixth Man
And1: 1,628

Post#449 » by 21 Hussle » Sun Sep 7, 2014 11:01 am

Now that my episodic insomnia is kicking I have time to think a lot and one topic that dawned on me was music and how it shapes our lives. I started to think about albums that helped me become the person I am today and since this is a hip-hop thread I'm going to stick with the genre and say the albums that helped me were...( Note I'm relatively young at 19, I know you old heads would look at my list and say wth but w.e)
Ranked
1. Kid Cudi- Man on the Moon: The End of Day
2. Lupe Fiasco- Food and Liquor
3. Kanye West- 808's

Aside from F&L these albums I wouldn't consider being classics or anything but I felt they had a huge impact on the way I live and view things and now I ask you what yours?
:meditate: Patience :meditate:
UnderdogRaptors
RealGM
And1: 44,305

Post#450 » by UnderdogRaptors » Mon Sep 8, 2014 12:47 am

Orange21 wrote:Now that my episodic insomnia is kicking I have time to think a lot and one topic that dawned on me was music and how it shapes our lives. I started to think about albums that helped me become the person I am today and since this is a hip-hop thread I'm going to stick with the genre and say the albums that helped me were...( Note I'm relatively young at 19, I know you old heads would look at my list and say wth but w.e)
Ranked
3. Kanye West- 808's

Aside from F&L these albums I wouldn't consider being classics or anything but I felt they had a huge impact on the way I live and view things and now I ask you what yours?

TES, GRODT, beg for mercy and CD come to mind :D
BC_IS_A_PLAYA wrote:jonas sucks, his dad should have got a vasectomy
21 Hussle
Sixth Man

Post#451 » by 21 Hussle » Mon Sep 8, 2014 1:32 am

UnderdogRaptors wrote:TES, GRODT, beg for mercy and CD come to mind :D

Haha big 50 fan. Did you see his interview with G-Unit on the breakfast club?? Him talking about Missy banging out Olivia was hilarious.
Also what's TES?
UnderdogRaptors
RealGM
And1: 44,305

Post#452 » by UnderdogRaptors » Mon Sep 8, 2014 1:36 am

Orange21 wrote:
UnderdogRaptors wrote:TES, GRODT, beg for mercy and CD come to mind :D

Haha big 50 fan. Did you see his interview with G-Unit on the breakfast club?? Him talking about Missy banging out Olivia was hilarious.
Also what's TES?

The Eminem Show (slept on classic IMO), yea lmao 50 always straight forward in his interviews and is never politically correct :lol: :lol:
BC_IS_A_PLAYA wrote:jonas sucks, his dad should have got a vasectomy
Knicksfan20
RealGM
And1: 5,759

Post#453 » by Knicksfan20 » Mon Sep 8, 2014 1:39 am

emo wrote:[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbxWj1UCXZw[/youtube]

Aiiight, Murda! I'm riding with this one.

In the rotation it goes.

I didnt like the 1 min singing intro . Uncle murder had a pretty good verse. Jada's i didnt dig at all and im a huge Jada fan. Uncle Murda and Jada coulda came harder on this. I clicked this hoping to hear something like

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHd2me8JfaU[/youtube]

Song is so dope.
Knicksfan20
RealGM

Post#454 » by Knicksfan20 » Mon Sep 8, 2014 1:45 am

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5QRkcyUq2Y[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5VWZ60DypQ[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS6H61raR8M[/youtube]

Found this by accident... But Uncle Murda and Bobby Smurda just did a song together

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ox7rmDvlQQ[/youtube]
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#455 » by j4remi » Mon Sep 8, 2014 1:03 pm

Orange21 wrote:Now that my episodic insomnia is kicking I have time to think a lot and one topic that dawned on me was music and how it shapes our lives. I started to think about albums that helped me become the person I am today and since this is a hip-hop thread I'm going to stick with the genre and say the albums that helped me were...( Note I'm relatively young at 19, I know you old heads would look at my list and say wth but w.e)
Ranked
3. Kanye West- 808's

1. Nas - Illmatic by a long shot
2. Eminem - Slim Shady Show
3. Common - Be
4. Immortal Technique - Revolutionary Volume 2
5. Tribe - Midnight Marauders
6. Outkast - Aquemini/ATLiens
7. Jay Z - Blueprint (original)
8. Kanye West - College Dropout
9. Big Pun - Capital Punishment
10. Lupe - Food and Liquor

The soundtrack to 8-Mile had a big influence on my writing too.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

21 Hussle
Sixth Man

Post#456 » by 21 Hussle » Mon Sep 8, 2014 2:41 pm

j4remi wrote:1. Nas - Illmatic by a long shot
3. Common - Be

Dope list but I'm curious on one thing. Being that you had Illmatic on your list which came out in 94 how come you don'tt have Southernplayalistic on the list when it came out the same year. Were southern artists not looked at much back then? I'm just basing this question off my belief that these made your list because of immediate impact.
dpgcdr
Pro Prospect
And1: 298

Post#457 » by dpgcdr » Mon Sep 8, 2014 3:38 pm

Some of you 90's hip hop fans, got a question. Remember when they use to have Nobody Beats the Wiz? How come a lot of them I went to had all the rap albums behind the counter? They would also have an empty case with a black and white copy of the album cover out in the open that you had to take to the cash register. Were these albums high theft items, or did the Wiz not want to sell these to minors? What was the deal with that? Thanks.
Knicksfan20
RealGM

Post#458 » by Knicksfan20 » Mon Sep 8, 2014 5:44 pm

dpgcdr wrote:Some of you 90's hip hop fans, got a question. Remember when they use to have Nobody Beats the Wiz? How come a lot of them I went to had all the rap albums behind the counter? They would also have an empty case with a black and white copy of the album cover out in the open that you had to take to the cash register. Were these albums high theft items, or did the Wiz not want to sell these to minors? What was the deal with that? Thanks.

Prob cuz of the parental advisory.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#459 » by j4remi » Mon Sep 8, 2014 5:53 pm

Orange21 wrote:
j4remi wrote:1. Nas - Illmatic by a long shot
3. Common - Be

Dope list but I'm curious on one thing. Being that you had Illmatic on your list which came out in 94 how come you don'tt have Southernplayalistic on the list when it came out the same year. Were southern artists not looked at much back then? I'm just basing this question off my belief that these made your list because of immediate impact.

I was too young to fully appreciate the early 90's stuff when it dropped tbh. The older joints I listed were albums I visited when i was developing my own voice and writing techniques. So even though 36 Chambers is one of my all time favorite albums, I really couldn't list it because it didn't impact my own voice as much as the above 90's drops. So Southernplayalistic gets docked points just off being my third favorite from them and therefore having less affect on what I wanted to do with my own creative voice.

The first unwrapped and instant hit my soul albums on the list are Capital Punishment and SSLP (to a lesser extent "I Am" also).
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,964

Post#460 » by Manhattan Project » Mon Sep 8, 2014 10:07 pm

36 Chambers, being from Shaolin definitely played a huge role.
Liquid Swords, huge GZA fan.
College Dropout, what Kanye was doing back then was far more impressive.
Disposable Arts, a true classic.
Below the Heavens, shame he couldn't follow it up.
Food & Liquor and early Lupe music.
Early Eminem albums/soundbombing.
Ghost entire catalog.
Beat Tapes spoke to me.

I was a huge stan of rappers that can truly write, tell stories. I love me some DMX/LOX/Mobb Deep/G-Unit and so on, but there comes a point in time in which I can get bored with coke and guns rhymes.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones

Return to New York Knicks