ImageImageImageImageImage

9-man rotation (minutes/stats/notes) over last 15 games

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

ctorres
RealGM
And1: 3,556

9-man rotation (minutes/stats/notes) over last 15 games 

Post#1 » by ctorres » Thu Apr 3, 2014 7:23 pm

Ever since our win against Minnesota on March 5th, Woodson has been running a tight 8-man rotation with the rest of the roster only playing spot minutes or making guest appearances. Knicks are 12 and 3 during this span of games. This is the estimated minutes distrubtion for the 9-man rotation over the last 15 games...

G: Felton - 30 / Prigioni - 18
G: Smith - 23 / Hardaway - 25
F: Anthony - 12 / Shumpert 26 / Smith - 10
F: Stoudemire - 22 / Anthony - 26
C: Chandler - 32 / Stoudemire - 6 / Aldrich - 10

I expect Woodson to stick with this rotation regardless if we face the Pacers or the Heat.

Originally I had Aldrich listed under Spot Minutes. However, when I added up the minutes, there were too many left over in the frontcourt. Aldrich has played 13 games just like Amar'e and Tyson over the last 15, while Tyler has played 11 games and less minutes than Aldrich. Due to Aldrich getting played above Tyler, I wouldn't consider Tyler a rotation player. Brown and Murry each play less than 5 minutes each per game, so I wouldn't consider them rotation players at all.

K-Mart hasn't played since February 1st. Bargnani last played on January 22nd. I don't see either of them being utilized at all at this point.

Here are all the individual stats from the last run of 15 games as calculated on basketball reference game logs.

STARTERS
Raymond Felton: 15 games, 27.3 mpg, 8.3 ppg, 42.7% FG's, 37.1% 3PT FG's, 71.9% FT's, 3.3 rpg, 5.3 apg, 1.4 spg
JR Smith: 15 games, 32.5 mpg, 16.2 ppg, 47.2% FG's, 42.3% 3PT FG's, 82.4% FT's, 4.3 rpg, 3.3 apg, 0.7 spg
Carmelo Anthony: 15 games, 37.8 mpg, 27.7 ppg, 46.0% FG's, 36.3% 3PT FG's, 88.2% FT's, 7.2 rpg, 3.5 apg, 1.5 spg, 0.9 bpg
Amar'e Stoudemire: 13 games, 27.9 mpg, 16.4 ppg, 54.0% FG's, 78.0% FT's, 6.6 rpg, 0.9 apg, 0.9 bpg
Tyson Chandler: 13 games, 31.3 mpg, 9.5 ppg, 66.2% FG's, 61.1% FT's, 8.6 rpg, 1.0 spg, 0.8 bpg

KEY RESERVES
Tim Hardaway Jr: 15 games, 25.1 mpg, 12.1 ppg, 44.8% FG's, 34.2% 3PT FG's, 78.1% FT's, 1.6 rpg, 0.8 apg, 0.7 spg
Iman Shumpert: 14 games, 25.5 mpg, 5.6 ppg, 41.0% FG's, 34.4% 3PT FG's, 80.0% FT's, 2.6 rpg, 1.8 apg, 1.2 spg
Pablo Prigioni: 15 games, 18.1 mpg, 3.9 ppg, 50.0% FG's, 60.7% 3PT FG's, 80.0% FT's, 1.6 rpg, 3.6 apg, 0.8 spg
Cole Aldrich: 13 games, 9.1 mpg, 2.9 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 0.8 bpg

SPOT MINUTES
Jeremy Tyler: 11 games, 8.4 mpg, 2.4 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 0.8 bpg
Toure Murry: 10 games, 4.1 mpg, 1.8 ppg, 0.5 rpg, 0.4 apg
Shannon Brown: 13 games, 4.7 mpg, 1.5 ppg, 0.7 rpg, 0.5 spg
MeloNY
Bench Warmer
And1: 469

Re: 9-man rotation (minutes and stats) over last 15 games 

Post#2 » by MeloNY » Thu Apr 3, 2014 7:32 pm

One thing I can say about Woodson is he knows how to finish the regular season strong. This has definitely been the case the last three seasons.

2012- 2013 season we finished 16 -2
2011 -2012 season we finished 18 - 6
Knicks_Fan2
RealGM
And1: 4,648

Post#3 » by Knicks_Fan2 » Thu Apr 3, 2014 7:35 pm

Forget it. Edit
ctorres
RealGM

Post#4 » by ctorres » Thu Apr 3, 2014 7:42 pm

MeloNY wrote:One thing I can say about Woodson is he knows how to finish the regular season strong. This has definitely been the case the last three seasons.

For someone who come across so incompetent, how the hell does Woodson do it? I will give him credit for a few things though:

- Rookies' minutes gradually increase as the season goes along under Woodson. Guys lie Shumpert, Prigioni, Copeland, Hardaway all got plenty of minutes during their rookie seasons, particularly towards the end.
- Woodson is not afraid to play a younger player over a veteran. Metta, Udrih, even Kmart to an extent got the same treatment this season that Camby got last season.
- Woodson is loyal to a fault with some players. He allows players to play through their slumps rather than completely bench them. JR, Felton, and Shump are playing their best ball now after being really bad throughout the first half of the season.
- Woodson limited Amar'e's minutes for as long as he could. Now, Amar'e gets a fairly consistent 28 mpg and is looking amazing.
IMAN5
General Manager
And1: 5,666

Re: 9-man rotation (minutes/stats/notes) over last 15 games 

Post#5 » by IMAN5 » Thu Apr 3, 2014 8:20 pm

happy we got tyler.
instagram.com/510movement
MetaKnick13
General Manager
And1: 343

Post#6 » by MetaKnick13 » Thu Apr 3, 2014 8:47 pm

ctorres wrote:
MeloNY wrote:One thing I can say about Woodson is he knows how to finish the regular season strong. This has definitely been the case the last three seasons.

For someone who come across so incompetent, how the hell does Woodson do it? I will give him credit for a few things though:

- Rookies' minutes gradually increase as the season goes along under Woodson. Guys lie Shumpert, Prigioni, Copeland, Hardaway all got plenty of minutes during their rookie seasons, particularly towards the end.
- Woodson is not afraid to play a younger player over a veteran. Metta, Udrih, even Kmart to an extent got the same treatment this season that Camby got last season.
- Woodson is loyal to a fault with some players. He allows players to play through their slumps rather than completely bench them. JR, Felton, and Shump are playing their best ball now after being really bad throughout the first half of the season.
- Woodson limited Amar'e's minutes for as long as he could. Now, Amar'e gets a fairly consistent 28 mpg and is looking amazing.

Let's slow down on Shumpert. He had one good game, a few ok ones, a mostly pretty crappy ones.
Buggin Out
Banned User
And1: 1,459

Post#7 » by Buggin Out » Thu Apr 3, 2014 9:29 pm

These are great numbers, seems like everyone is playing above the level they were earlier this season.
cmoney24x
Junior
And1: 71

Post#8 » by cmoney24x » Thu Apr 3, 2014 9:43 pm

For all of Woodson's ineptitude this season this has been one of his better adjustments. The players know what their roles are and for the most part have been thriving in them.
cibili
Junior
And1: 128

Post#9 » by cibili » Thu Apr 3, 2014 9:47 pm

ctorres wrote:

I'm sorry but I don't agree with this. Woodson doesn't really give chance to anyone. When one of his rotation players go down and he has no other option, he plays rookies and new signings. ThJr might be playing 10 minutes right now if it doesn't for jr suspensions and horrible performance in the beginning of the season, and also shump's underperforming.

If the team is winning few games he doesn't change the thing that we win in spite of. The guy cut udrih and continued playing felton over 30 facking minutes. I am not saying toure is answer or anything like that but if you cut udrih and your pg still sucks you sign someone or reduce his minutes, just to make the guy pick up his game. But thanks to his awful coaching abilities felton doesn't even know how badly he suck, and he does suck, no one noticing this, because we are winning games despite him and he is still getting 30 something minutes.

So as consequently he just makes the right decisions when there is no other option to choose and he doesn't deserve getting credit for the most of the stuff you listed above.
If you're just tuning in, tune out -JVG

2016 ECF Game 5
ctorres
RealGM

Post#10 » by ctorres » Thu Apr 3, 2014 10:13 pm

cibili wrote:I'm sorry but I don't agree with this. Woodson doesn't really give chance to anyone. When one of his rotation players go down and he has no other option, he plays rookies and new signings. ThJr might be playing 10 minutes right now if it doesn't for jr suspensions and horrible performance in the beginning of the season, and also shump's underperforming.

If the team is winning few games he doesn't change the thing that we win in spite of. The guy cut udrih and continued playing felton over 30 facking minutes. I am not saying toure is answer or anything like that but if you cut udrih and your pg still sucks you sign someone or reduce his minutes, just to make the guy pick up his game. But thanks to his awful coaching abilities felton doesn't even know how badly he suck, and he does suck, no one noticing this, because we are winning games despite him and he is still getting 30 something minutes.

So as consequently he just makes the right decisions when there is no other option to choose and he doesn't deserve getting credit for the most of the stuff you listed above.

Ok, then fine. There is really nothing of merit in anything Woodson has done over the past 3 seasons. It is an absolute miracle he managed to go 18-6 at the end of his 1st year, 16-2 in his 2nd year, and 12-3 so far during this late stretch at the end of his 3rd year.

It's clear that Woodson has angels on his side just like that movie Angels In The Outfield. Otherwise, those win-loss records are too much of an anomaly for a team with a completely inept basketball coach. A team can maybe go .500 or a few games better in spite of coaching. I don't know how a team can go through stretches where they win 75% of games without any sort of involvement whatsoever from a coach. Three years straight and Woodson gets the team to do the same thing.

Maybe I haven't found something that Woodson's done right, but I rather take on the challenge of at least trying than taking the easy route of shooting down every single idea that could be suggested.
cibili
Junior
And1: 128

Post#11 » by cibili » Thu Apr 3, 2014 10:30 pm

ctorres wrote:
cibili wrote:I'm sorry but I don't agree with this. Woodson doesn't really give chance to anyone. When one of his rotation players go down and he has no other option, he plays rookies and new signings. ThJr might be playing 10 minutes right now if it doesn't for jr suspensions and horrible performance in the beginning of the season, and also shump's underperforming.

Ok, then fine. There is really nothing of merit in anything Woodson has done over the past 3 seasons. It is an absolute miracle he managed to go 18-6 at the end of his 1st year, 16-2 in his 2nd year, and 12-3 so far during this late stretch at the end of his 3rd year.

It's clear that Woodson has angels on his side just like that movie Angels In The Outfield. Otherwise, those win-loss records are too much of an anomaly for a team with a completely inept basketball coach. A team can maybe go .500 or a few games better in spite of coaching. I don't know how a team can go through stretches where they win 75% of games without any sort of involvement whatsoever from a coach. Three years straight and Woodson gets the team to do the same thing.

Maybe I haven't found something that Woodson's done right, but I rather take on the challenge of at least trying than taking the easy route of shooting down every single idea that could be suggested.

That's what you get from that? Do you really think that I implied that he helped the team less than a mascot, or you just don't want to discuss these?
If you're just tuning in, tune out -JVG

2016 ECF Game 5
ctorres
RealGM

Post#12 » by ctorres » Thu Apr 3, 2014 10:50 pm

cibili wrote:That's what you get from that? Do you really think that I implied that he helped the team less than a mascot, or you just don't want to discuss these?

What would there be to discuss if you had a counterpoint for every single one of my points? It would mean that I have to come up with other points. I didn't say I disagreed with you.

All I'm saying is, what good does it do to be left with almost no explanation as to how Woodson has been the Knicks' coach during 3 consecutive season ending hot streaks.

Outside of your counterpoints, the only explanation I got from your post on how Woodson wins games is by making right decisions only when he's left with no other options to choose. I mean, I guess I could see it as Woodson being a better coach when his back is against the wall and he's not stacked with a full deck. Otherwise, if Woodson has every weapon at his disposal, his coaching sucks.
Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,044

Post#13 » by Sark » Thu Apr 3, 2014 10:56 pm

Woodson didn't really make an adjustment. The schedule just got easier. He's been playing the same guys most of the year.
ctorres
RealGM

Post#14 » by ctorres » Sat Apr 5, 2014 2:57 am

Tonight it was an 8 man rotation. I'll have updated stats tomorrow when they go up on basketball reference.

Minutes from tonight...

Raymond Felton - 28 / Pablo Prigioni - 20
JR Smith - 44 / Tim Hardaway - 4
Carmelo Anthony - 38 / Tim Hardaway Jr - 10
Amar'e Stoudemire - 30 / Iman Shumper - 11 / Tim Hardaway Jr - 7
Tyson Chandler- 31 / Iman Shumpert - 17

Felton and Prigs play only at PG
THjr plays only at SG
JR and Shump play at both SG and SF
Melo plays minutes at SF and PF
Stat plays minutes at PF and C
Tyson only plays at C
Thorn
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,162

Post#15 » by Thorn » Sat Apr 5, 2014 9:55 am

ctorres wrote:Tonight it was an 8 man rotation. I'll have updated stats tomorrow when they go up on basketball reference.

Minutes from tonight...

Raymond Felton - 28 / Pablo Prigioni - 20
JR Smith - 44 / Tim Hardaway - 4
Carmelo Anthony - 38 / Tim Hardaway Jr - 10
Amar'e Stoudemire - 30 / Iman Shumper - 11 / Tim Hardaway Jr - 7
Tyson Chandler- 31 / Iman Shumpert - 17

Felton and Prigs play only at PG
THjr plays only at SG
JR and Shump play at both SG and SF
Melo plays minutes at SF and PF
Stat plays minutes at PF and C
Tyson only plays at C

I figure this will be our playoff roster and approach, the only thing is we need to watch JR Smith, if he is off we have to cut his minutes down. We can't let him continue to fire up bad shots.

Return to New York Knicks