ImageImageImageImageImage

GONYK Game Notes: Wasted Effort

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,396

Re: GONYK Game Notes: Wasted Effort 

Post#241 » by dakomish23 » Sat Apr 5, 2014 6:41 am

Why don't we ever run that weave play at the end of games? Pretty sure it has a 100% completion rate. Even if the defense is wise to it, they'll scramble towards Chandler to prevent the dunk and get Melo one on one coverage.

Damn you Woodson!! If you put as much work in play calling as you do on your goatee we wouldn't be fighting to make the playoffs right now!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#242 » by Dr. Detfink » Sat Apr 5, 2014 7:11 am

Those turnovers down the close were exactly what Phil was forewarning when he was talking about Melo doing the Lion's share. Guys standing around not getting open, leaving it all to him. That is a coaching problem, I am sorry. But don't blame the bald headed twerp who ALWAYS defends his PG.

Hey, the writing is on the wall. Phil knows what he wants to do already. This is just a formality.
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,109

Post#243 » by ozwizard8 » Sat Apr 5, 2014 9:46 am

10 points 9 turnovers..
MELO wasnt focused at all. he didnt came to the game last night.
shame on him.

it was a key game for getting playoff spot and we lost.
now on its so tough to get it.
even paul milsap playing better than melo.
jr plays well, Stat played well but melo goes for welo...
BallSacBounce
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,411

Post#244 » by BallSacBounce » Sat Apr 5, 2014 10:45 am

It looked possible for a minute.

BallSacBounce
Lead Assistant

Post#245 » by BallSacBounce » Sat Apr 5, 2014 11:09 am

god shammgod wrote:Chris Herring ‏@HerringWSJ 26s

Carmelo says he sustained the shoulder injury in the Brooklyn game.

that's bad then

Chris Herring ‏@HerringWSJ 31s

Carmelo says his arm "just gave out" at one point in the 2nd quarter. Had to call timeout, bc he couldn't use it.

1) Season is over then.

2) Whatdafuqareyoudoinginthegameafterthatpoint?
BallSacBounce
Lead Assistant

Post#246 » by BallSacBounce » Sat Apr 5, 2014 11:24 am

[Spock]: “Fascinating is a word I use for the unexpected, in this case I would think interesting would suffice.”
H20FAN
Bench Warmer
And1: 389

Post#247 » by H20FAN » Sat Apr 5, 2014 12:35 pm

this game was on woody. His subbing in the 4th qtr was stupid. STAT was holding us down and he took him out in the middle of the qtr. Then the final play, there was non as always. just give the ball to melo literally. At least run a play to free up melo. Felton had to literally hand him the ball cuz ariza was all over him.

when heat lost to indiana last week, everyone hated on lebron for passing to an open bosh. I would kill for the knicks to run a play like that to get an open shot
They call me hadoken because i'm down right fierce
H20FAN
Bench Warmer
And1: 389

Post#248 » by H20FAN » Sat Apr 5, 2014 12:44 pm

i still dont get why melo is always the only option for the last shot. Hes like zero percent this year for the final shot. Once beal made that shot i knew the game was over. Everyone in MSG and in the stands knew what was going to happen. Why even bother having shooters out there? I'm still pissed about this game. Melo needs to see a shrink or something. Clearly when the game is on the line his mind is out of focus
They call me hadoken because i'm down right fierce
Vash
Rookie
And1: 129

Post#249 » by Vash » Sat Apr 5, 2014 1:35 pm

draftbarnes wrote:Woody vs Melo saga
HerringWSJ
Woodson says the last play was designed to be a "two-man game" between Carmelo and Stoudemire. But he says Melo split the pick and roll...

HerringWSJ
... and brought the ball down the middle of the lane, which seemingly killed that option.

Yeah, it looked like Mello broke the play. He ran toward Felton and Felton looked shocked what had occurred. Not sure again why many knick watchers didn't catch that.

That was so awful again by Mello, to me that play is indicative of why many smart guys dislike Mello.
prophet_of_rage
RealGM
And1: 6,650

Post#250 » by prophet_of_rage » Sat Apr 5, 2014 1:44 pm

Woodson is trying to cater to Melo to hold onto a job. So no matter what he's letting Melo do his thing.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using RealGM Forums mobile app
duetta
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,429

Post#251 » by duetta » Sat Apr 5, 2014 1:46 pm

Kept switching last night between the Yankees and the Knicks, but every time I looked in on the Knicks, JR was sinking a three. I figured it must be their night.

I saw the ending, however. No attempt at running a play. And the Wizards bailed them out by fouling too early.
TrueWarrior
RealGM
And1: 8,161

Post#252 » by TrueWarrior » Sat Apr 5, 2014 2:09 pm

We can blame Woody for not holding him more accountable but Melo does seem to break off a lot of plays at the end of games, and the other players let him. I've never seen such horrible end of game execution and I'm not sure if I believe Woodson really is just calling Iso Melo every time. Melo had the same tendencies in Denver which is why Karl had his bouts with him. At least then he was pretty clutch though. He's been terrible here for a while now.

Dont get it twisted Woody is still a moron and should be fired. Putting Melo at center ha. Melo should just be held accountable for his own actions some too. I don't care if he injured himself because most of his bad play was mental. Cross court passes and awful shots.

JR with another very good game. Like we said last year it's not his fault we rely on him so much. Just like it wasnt Jamal's or Zach's or Lee's or Nate's when they were here. If we had a legit 2nd scorer and just rode him when he's feeling it we'd be fine. He's not paid like some 2nd star. He's paid like a 6th man. Amare has been better but he's still on a restriction and could go down any minute. When Amare is scoring well JR falls into place as a good 3rd option who can concentrate more on facilitating. JR is still a bonehead who made some dumb decisions down the stretch, and even though he's hitting them settles for too many jumpers, but that's what you get when you rely on JR Smith. He did his job but Melo and Woody stanked up the bed.
Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,340

Post#253 » by Phish Tank » Sat Apr 5, 2014 2:28 pm

Note to melo: when you're 0-50 in last minute clutch shots this season, don't break off plays.
cibili
Junior
And1: 128

Post#254 » by cibili » Sat Apr 5, 2014 2:28 pm

ElTuco84 wrote:I want to print a Woodson face on a boxing bag and punch it until my hands bleed.

You sir, just made my evening plan for me. Thank you.
If you're just tuning in, tune out -JVG

2016 ECF Game 5
Bklyn&company
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,051

Post#255 » by Bklyn&company » Sat Apr 5, 2014 2:29 pm

Woodson is full of sh*t... Period! Bye Bye Dumbson! Phil should just disrespect Woodson dumb as* and fire Woodson after the Miami game... Please. Fu*k the coaches club and they protecting each other.. Bullsh*t.... Fire this Fool now!

Think Phil needs to make an early statement that stupid coach and bullsh*t is no longer allowed here. Fu*k exit interviews.

Sent from my SPH-D710BST using RealGM Forums mobile app
kane
Head Coach
And1: 2,350

Post#256 » by kane » Sat Apr 5, 2014 3:19 pm

i cant believe im saying this but we probably would of won that game with amare on the floor for the last 5 min over melo... ether melo was hurt and if he was hurt that bad why force the ball to him that much or hes already checked out of NY
blumatic
Assistant Coach
And1: 787

Post#257 » by blumatic » Sat Apr 5, 2014 3:32 pm

vdfebduderocks wrote:FYI I don't buy the nonsense that Melos injury causes all these turnovers... That's really melo being dumb and a pussy. You got to bout your big boy pants on and not do stupid things like throw cross court passes or passes to no one. That's all brain, not body. Spend more time playing chess and less time getting stupid tattoos and maybe he'd understand.

Maybe zen will teach him this, maybe not. I'm losing a bit of hope

A pussy? Stop playing chess? Tattoos?

He had a bad game after carrying this sorry cast for most of the season. The whole world saw how bad he was playing. But Woody put him in the game.

He made mistakes. Still rebounded. He tried to make the pass but read the defense wrong. But he still made big plays towards the end. Big basket. Pass to Felton. Couple of steals. He was playing hard. But things went wrong for him.

Woody should have seen that.
blumatic
Assistant Coach

Post#258 » by blumatic » Sat Apr 5, 2014 3:35 pm

kane wrote:i cant believe im saying this but we probably would of won that game with amare on the floor for the last 5 min over melo... ether melo was hurt and if he was hurt that bad why force the ball to him that much or hes already checked out of NY

Your right though. Ain't nothing wrong with that.

It wasn't just Amare. It was Pablo, Timmy, Shump and JR as well. That unit was the best for that particular night.

You got to ride with that team until they're dead tired. Most nights you go with Melo but all signs pointed to keep that team on the floor. But Woody ruined it.
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,914

Post#259 » by god shammgod » Sat Apr 5, 2014 3:37 pm

blumatic wrote:
vdfebduderocks wrote:FYI I don't buy the nonsense that Melos injury causes all these turnovers... That's really melo being dumb and a pussy. You got to bout your big boy pants on and not do stupid things like throw cross court passes or passes to no one. That's all brain, not body. Spend more time playing chess and less time getting stupid tattoos and maybe he'd understand.

Maybe zen will teach him this, maybe not. I'm losing a bit of hope

A pussy? Stop playing chess? Tattoos?

He had a bad game after carrying this sorry cast for most of the season. The whole world saw how bad he was playing. But Woody put him in the game.

He made mistakes. Still rebounded. He tried to make the pass but read the defense wrong. But he still made big plays towards the end. Big basket. Pass to Felton. Couple of steals. He was playing hard. But things went wrong for him.

Woody should have seen that.

yep. he's supposed to try to play through injury when we're fighting for the playoffs. it's up to the coach to figure out how much he can do.
blumatic
Assistant Coach

Post#260 » by blumatic » Sat Apr 5, 2014 3:37 pm

prophet_of_rage wrote:Woodson is trying to cater to Melo to hold onto a job. So no matter what he's letting Melo do his thing.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using RealGM Forums mobile app

That's why he will get fired. It's not Melo's team. It's Phil Jackson's.

Return to New York Knicks