ImageImageImageImageImage

Anyone optimistic regarding JR Smith?

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,431

Anyone optimistic regarding JR Smith? 

Post#1 » by RHODEY » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:44 am

I like his production when healthy, and somewhat of a bargain at 6 mil per....
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Re: Anyone optimistic regarding JR Smith? 

Post#2 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:47 am

No.

Takes too many crap shots / doesn't pay attention defensively. As a spot up shooter? Sure.
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,490

Post#3 » by Fat Kat » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:48 am

Sure. We've seen Phil crack tougher nuts.

#inphilitrust
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
Buggin Out
Banned User
And1: 1,459

Post#4 » by Buggin Out » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:49 am

I've been saying this all season. When he is healthy he can give you 16/5/4 on average efficiency. Off the bench he can create for himself and others, rebound and just flat out score. All he needs is a coach to keep him in control like Karl did in Denver and a offensive system to follow. He will post the occasional stupid tweet or do some stupid action but IMO it's worth it for that price.

That being said incoming JR hate in 3.....2......1....
Buggin Out
Banned User

Post#5 » by Buggin Out » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:51 am

Fat Kat wrote:Sure. We've seen Phil crack tougher nuts.

#inphilitrust

Exactly Phil has had to contain Dennis Rodman and Ron Artest the two most crazy, unpredictable and violent players in league history. It would be easy to make JR a more productive player.
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,913

Post#6 » by god shammgod » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:52 am

i'm optimistic that we won't have one of these threads for everyone on the team. who am i kidding, no i'm not.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#7 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:53 am

Buggin Out wrote:

#inphilitrust

Exactly Phil has had to contain Dennis Rodman and Ron Artest the two most crazy, unpredictable and violent players in league history. It would be easy to make JR a more productive player.

They were also fantastic defenders who knew their roles / limitations on offense.
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God
And1: 14,451

Post#8 » by ibraheim718 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:53 am

#inphilitrust

As a coach. I don't know.. Rodman was a nut but he was a smart basketball layer who lost his cool on occasion.

Artest would be the only other one.. but by then he was on medication. :lol:

I can safely say... that JR Smith I know for damn sure won't ever be on a championship winning team.. and that's what I'd like to see. I guess maybe playing 5-8 minutes a game every now and then.
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God

Post#9 » by ibraheim718 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:56 am

Buggin Out wrote:

#inphilitrust

They weren't crazy in games though.. unless they had an outburst.. like a T or a flagrant. Other than that they were incredibly smart players.. and Rodman specifically was. Jr is an incredibly dumb player.

Smith is known for committing untimely fouls, untimely turnovers, and taking untimely shots. Those things prevent a coach from playing you in important games or during important parts of games.
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God

Post#10 » by ibraheim718 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:57 am

Buggin Out wrote:I've been saying this all season. When he is healthy he can give you 16/5/4 on average efficiency. Off the bench he can create for himself and others, rebound and just flat out score. All he needs is a coach to keep him in control like Karl did in Denver and a offensive system to follow. He will post the occasional stupid tweet or do some stupid action but IMO it's worth it for that price.

That being said incoming JR hate in 3.....2......1....

Fcuk that BUM.
Buggin Out
Banned User

Post#11 » by Buggin Out » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:59 am

Knickstape1214 wrote:
Buggin Out wrote:

#inphilitrust

They were also fantastic defenders who knew their roles / limitations on offense.

What does being a great defender have to do with being how coachable the player is? They also got paid a lot more than JR did an were expected to do more.

Also Ron is just as chuck happy as JR is if not more. Only reason he was kind of contained in LA was because Kobe and Phil would get on him if he stepped out of line. You saw the kind of shots he was taking here when he had Woody as coach right?
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,490

Post#12 » by Fat Kat » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:03 am

Abe_505 wrote:

#inphilitrust

As a coach. I don't know.. Rodman was a nut but he was a smart basketball layer who lost his cool on occasion.

I can safely say... that JR Smith I know for damn sure won't ever be on a championship winning team.. and that's what I'd like to see. I guess maybe playing 5-8 minutes a game every now and then.

IMO, Twitter is JR's biggest problem. His issues are blown out of proportion here. As far as playing on a championship team, that's just silly talk. Eddy Curry has a ring. I'd take JR over Shump any day.
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
Buggin Out
Banned User

Post#13 » by Buggin Out » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:06 am

Abe_505 wrote:
Buggin Out wrote:

#inphilitrust

They weren't crazy in games though.. unless they had an outburst.. like a T or a flagrant. Other than that they were incredibly smart players.. and Rodman specifically was. Jr is an incredibly dumb player.

Smith is known for committing untimely fouls, untimely turnovers, and taking untimely shots. Those things prevent a coach from playing you in important games or during important parts of games.

Pretty sure Woody gives JR the green light to do whatever the f*ck he wants. Also JR's shot selection is not that terrible during crunch time. We usually defer to Melo since ISO Melo is the only thing we run down the strentch and if that breaks down then JR forces the issue. Get a good coach then there wouldn't be any problem

Also this is way worse than anything JR has ever done.:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLUbycSKAqY[/youtube]
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God

Post#14 » by ibraheim718 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:06 am

And bear in mind.. some of the BUMS on this team have their claws sunk deep into the owner. Thems **** need to be cut off. I could easily see a guy like JR who perpetrates to be buddy-buddy with the owner running to him to bitch and moan if he doesn't get to play or the new coach is treating him badly.

That's why all these BUMS except the younger guys and Shump might be too far gone now because he's been around these SELFISH SCRUBS for too long need to be exterminated. I having to imagine the pecking order and chain of command within the organization is all EFFED up. It probably goes.. Dolan, Melo, Stat, GM, Smiff, Herb, Smiff's dad, Chandler, Coach. :lol:
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God

Post#15 » by ibraheim718 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:08 am

Buggin Out wrote:
Abe_505 wrote:
Buggin Out wrote:Exactly Phil has had to contain Dennis Rodman and Ron Artest the two most crazy, unpredictable and violent players in league history. It would be easy to make JR a more productive player.

Pretty sure Woody gives JR the green light to do whatever the f*ck he wants. Also JR's shot selection is not that terrible during crunch time. We usually defer to Melo since ISO Melo is the only thing we run down the strentch and if that breaks down then JR forces the issue. Get a good coach then there wouldn't be any problem

Also this is way worse than anything JR has ever done.:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLUbycSKAqY[/youtube]

Seriously bro? Smiff drove recklessly and his friend died because of it.
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God

Post#16 » by ibraheim718 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:08 am

Fat Kat wrote:
Abe_505 wrote:

#inphilitrust

IMO, Twitter is JR's biggest problem. His issues are blown out of proportion here. As far as playing on a championship team, that's just silly talk. Eddy Curry has a ring. I'd take JR over Shump any day.

How much did Curry play?

He played in 14 games and averaged 5 minutes a game.

Let me edit my post to say "play meaningful minutes on a championship team".]

That SCRUB can sit on the bench.. I'm cool wit that. I'd rather not see his mouth-breathing self anywhere near a Knick uniform. But I might have to wait a little while for that thanks to dumb ass Glen Grunwald.

Now that the season is over I'm not mincing any words about any of these overpaid big talking scrubs so you might want to put me on ignore.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#17 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:09 am

Buggin Out wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:
Buggin Out wrote:Exactly Phil has had to contain Dennis Rodman and Ron Artest the two most crazy, unpredictable and violent players in league history. It would be easy to make JR a more productive player.

What does being a great defender have to do with being how coachable the player is? They also got paid a lot more than JR did an were expected to do more.

Also Ron is just as chuck happy as JR is if not more. Only reason he was kind of contained in LA was because Kobe and Phil would get on him if he stepped out of line. You saw the kind of shots he was taking here when he had Woody as coach right?

Being a great defender has everything to do with being a good basketball player -- which is my point that was apparently too veiled. As for their salaries -- I'm not sure how much each was paid (relative to salary cap), but their on court production was easily outproducing their salary - thus, salary is completely irrelevant. They were elite defenders who knew their roles on offense. JR, on the other hand, doesn't.

Ron WAS a chucker when he was forced to be the number 1 or 2 option. When he got to LAL, he was basically an afterthought and knew how to pick his spots. He wasn't the same player he was in Houston / Indiana because he also recognized his limitations on offense. There were still instances when he tried to do something he did pre-Lakers, but it wasn't that often.

Artest took 5 shots in 13 minutes per game -- which is a lot. However, most of his minutes came during blowouts when nobody gives a **** what shots are put up.

MWP/Rodman had BBIQs that are WAY higher than JR.

JR is a good spot up shooter that has horrible shot selection most of the time and is a bad defender. Unless JR learns how to play defense and stops taking bad shots then it's simple -- there is no hope for him. That is my point.

I get it. You, and others, like JR. I do not. I'm not having this debate again because, let's be honest, there isn't going to be anyone changing opinions here.
TrueWarrior
RealGM
And1: 8,161

Post#18 » by TrueWarrior » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:14 am

If only JR didn't pull that shoelace crap. Even after Woody and the league talked to and fined him he still went for the laces. That undermined his whole season even if he's played very well since that time. His image is just broken at this point and I can't see anybody trading for him.

With that said he's by far our best SG, and maybe under a new coach, Phil, and some new teammates/vets he will behave enough if we're stuck with him in a role that won't ask as much from him. You can't count on him mentally when it matters right now though.
Nostrand Ave
Pro Prospect
And1: 295

Post#19 » by Nostrand Ave » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:18 am

I'm actually more optimistic about Shumpert than JR.
ctorres
RealGM
And1: 3,563

Post#20 » by ctorres » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:26 am

He shot a crazy good percentage from the 3 point line to end the season. Would it kill him to do it for a whole season? 11 games prior to tonight's game, JR was shooting at a 46% clip from the 3pt line on 11 attempts per game.

Return to New York Knicks