ImageImageImageImageImage

Can we sign and trade Melo.....?

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Americafkya
Bench Warmer
And1: 308

Can we sign and trade Melo.....? 

Post#1 » by Americafkya » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:06 pm

First, I want to preface this with this statement:

I want to keep Melo. I think Melo is one of the best players in the league. I think he played his heart for us. I think he is an elite, top 3 offensive player and an underrated all around guy. The Knicks, in the short run at least, are better off with him.

However, I don't think the Knicks are in the best spot to keep him. By the time the rebuild is complete, I don't think there will be a very big window for him to compete for a title. This has already been said so I don't need to bore everyone with that.

What are the rules for sign and trade under the new CBA? would it be better for the team to sign and trade him for some young guys and lotto picks? are there teams that he would want/accept that would also benefit us. The Lakers maybe?? is that possible?

The Suns? etc etc
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Asso ... 5194596478

my bball news agency's facebook page
Ignitowsky
General Manager
And1: 2,494

Re: Can we sign and trade Melo.....? 

Post#2 » by Ignitowsky » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:30 pm

Yes, we can.

Hopefully we won't have to.
All in all he's just another prick with no wall
louieOrr
Sixth Man
And1: 474

Post#3 » by louieOrr » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:32 pm

If it isint worth our while then heck no. I would say Houston and Chi before LAL or Phoenix. I would rather let him walk then enable Houston to get him, same for Chicago. Unless we are fleecing them, we should not be doing business with them based on our past dealings with those franchises.

I would say you should accommodate melo if he wants to leave based on his level of play, except for the fact he just had to have his $$ at the expense of all of our assets at the time of the trade to get him here. He/We would have likely enjoyed more success had he made it clear the Nets were not an option and he was signing with the Knicks. If he wants to leave now then yes it will cost us....but it will cost him too. Let him give up some $$$ if he believes the grass is greener. Let him put his $$ where his mouth is. So we do have that little bit of leverage. Melo needs us to get that Max deal. I am sure that is important to him, despite what he says about financial security.

With that being said, my personal belief is that he does not want to go. I think this is different then Denver. I do believe Phil can lay out a plan to show how we can be a winner.
dantian
Starter
And1: 27

Post#4 » by dantian » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:48 pm

I thought it was said to be impossible under the new CBA, due to Knicks way over the lux tax level.
ReturnofMVP3
RealGM
And1: 11,580

Post#5 » by ReturnofMVP3 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:52 pm

dantian wrote:I thought it was said to be impossible under the new CBA, due to Knicks way over the lux tax level.

I believe the team receiving Melo would need to be under the luxury tax.
Donald Trump is an idiot.
CashMoney604
Junior
And1: 528

Post#6 » by CashMoney604 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:29 am

If Melo wanted to go elsewhere and play i dont think he would do a sign and trade and gut the other team of key pieces again (IE. NY) Its time he will take less money to win like Dwight or be in a better situation.
dantian
Starter

Post#7 » by dantian » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:43 am

CashMoney604 wrote:If Melo wanted to go elsewhere and play i dont think he would do a sign and trade and gut the other team of key pieces again (IE. NY) Its time he will take less money to win like Dwight or be in a better situation.

yet in that case, his option is limited to bad teams he wouldn't want to go to. no Bulls, no Rockets.
dantian
Starter

Post#8 » by dantian » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:46 am

ReturnofMVP3 wrote:
dantian wrote:I thought it was said to be impossible under the new CBA, due to Knicks way over the lux tax level.

How about a 3-way with Melo to Rockets, LBJ/Asik/Parsons to Knicks, Tyson/Lin to Miami, where both Melo and LBJ get sign and trade? Rockets are below luxury tax for sure.
Nutty Nats Fan
General Manager
And1: 4,947

Post#9 » by Nutty Nats Fan » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:03 am

louieOrr wrote:I would say you should accommodate melo if he wants to leave based on his level of play, except for the fact he just had to have his $$ at the expense of all of our assets at the time of the trade to get him here.

I can't believe this falsehood is still being repeated.

Melo would have been fine waiting till the offseason, but the CBW was ending. No one knew when a new one was going to be signed or what the player salaries would be like. He could have got injured during that wait too. So it wasn't about the money, it was about signing an extension before the CBA expired.
Marty McFly
RealGM
And1: 9,343

Post#10 » by Marty McFly » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:05 am

dantian wrote:
ReturnofMVP3 wrote:

How about a 3-way with Melo to Rockets, LBJ/Asik/Parsons to Knicks, Tyson/Lin to Miami, where both Melo and LBJ get sign and trade? Rockets are below luxury tax for sure.

c'mon man.
Guano wrote:Fourni3r forgetting he has Bob cousy handles

Woodsanity wrote:Imagine trusting a team with World B Flat on it without Lebron keeping him in check.
Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,340

Post#11 » by Phish Tank » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:10 am

dantian wrote:
ReturnofMVP3 wrote:

Yo provide us with the hookup of that dope you got
louieOrr
Sixth Man
And1: 474

Post#12 » by louieOrr » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:21 am

Nutty Nats Fan wrote:
louieOrr wrote:I would say you should accommodate melo if he wants to leave based on his level of play, except for the fact he just had to have his $$ at the expense of all of our assets at the time of the trade to get him here.

I can't believe this falsehood is still being repeated.

Melo would have been fine waiting till the offseason, but the CBW was ending. No one knew when a new one was going to be signed or what the player salaries would be like. He could have got injured during that wait too. So it wasn't about the money, it was about signing an extension before the CBA expired.

Right, it was about signing the extension before the CBA expired, because he wanted to get his $$$$
Oscirus
RealGM
And1: 9,267

Post#13 » by Oscirus » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:32 am

If a team is doing a sign and trade then they're likely not going to be giving up anything remotely good since they're at the advantage. If whoever wants Melo really wants him then they can clear their own crap the Knicks aren't around to make signing melo easy on anybody.
Jimmit79 wrote:At this point I want RJ to get paid
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,049

Post#14 » by GONYK » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:34 am

Oscirus wrote:If a team is doing a sign and trade then they're likely not going to be giving up anything remotely good since they're at the advantage. If whoever wants Melo really wants him then they can clear their own crap the Knicks aren't around to make signing melo easy on anybody.

Bingo
fabio
Veteran
And1: 173

Post#15 » by fabio » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:36 am

quite honestly, if the deal is right, Melo should go. Just not for any crap or crazy deal, dealing him should be the cornerstone of a rebuilding team, not just dealing him just because
Knicks Universe
Banned User
And1: 403

Post#16 » by Knicks Universe » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:48 am

Seriously? No way! Guys, have some faith that he will stay. This shouldn't even be a discussion topic right now.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#17 » by GONYK » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:13 am

fabio wrote:quite honestly, if the deal is right, Melo should go. Just not for any crap or crazy deal, dealing him should be the cornerstone of a rebuilding team, not just dealing him just because

No teams that he's willing to play for can offer a deal that is worth it to us at this time though
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,642

Post#18 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:24 am

GONYK wrote:
fabio wrote:quite honestly, if the deal is right, Melo should go. Just not for any crap or crazy deal, dealing him should be the cornerstone of a rebuilding team, not just dealing him just because

No teams that he's willing to play for can offer a deal that is worth it to us at this time though

When you trade a star for multiple players, the team trading the star NEVER gets equal value. But what the team trading the star does get, hopefully, is flexibility to rebuild the team and draft picks and/or (hopefully "and") some young players to build with. With the added cap space you target your next so-called star or stars.
Free Palestine
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#19 » by GONYK » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:25 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
GONYK wrote:

When you trade a star for multiple players, the team trading the star NEVER gets equal value. But what the team trading the star does get, hopefully, is flexibility to rebuild the team and draft picks and/or (hopefully "and") some young players to build with. With the added cap space you target your next so-called star or stars.

The teams Melo wants to play for can't even offer that.

We can gain flexibility simply by letting him walk

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,642

Post#20 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:29 am

GONYK wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
GONYK wrote:

The teams Melo wants to play for can't even offer that.

We can gain flexibility simply by letting him walk

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

We need to get back some first round picks/young talent if we want to rebuild.
Free Palestine

Return to New York Knicks