ImageImageImageImageImage

The Curious Case of Carmelo Anthony & The New York Knicks

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 38,197

Re: The Curious Case of Carmelo Anthony & The New York Knick 

Post#61 » by KnicksGod » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:41 pm

vdfebduderocks wrote:one important paragraph in the article:

Bill Simmons wrote:All in all, that was a catastrophic trade considering Denver didn’t have any leverage whatsoever. And it happened because Carmelo wanted more money — the same choice he made last weekend, again, and the same choice you and I would probably make too. Carmelo inadvertently created the narrative that threatens to defines him. There’s a good chance he will play his entire career, then retire, without ever finding the right team. Unless the Knicks miraculously strike oil next summer, his own version of the 2011 Mavericks can’t happen. His prime will come and go, and that will be that.

Now let me ask you this:

If I take everyone on the RealGM board from Rasho to the corpse of TKF & dk7th, Shammgod, Thugger, GoNYK, KT, Thorn, Yardie, Greenie, MoneySnitch, Stats, and everyone else, put yourselves back into Carmelo Anthony's shoes in 2011.

Yes, your agents might have been dumb in extending your contract one more year, but still, it's 2011. There's an impending lockout. The country is in the midst of an soso economy. You can potentially secure yourself in a nice contract for 3 more years. Or you wait until free agency, wait until the lockout ends, or doesn't, and then you wait for the new CBA which could have any random effects on your salary.

Would anyone say no to the money? I would like someone to admit that they would actually hold out till free agency. I dare someone to stand up to that.

Much harder to do when it's your wallet on the line, but I honestly did not think they were going to reduce Maxes much at all, and said so here a million times, and they didn't.

But if I had risk, I'd be extra cautious. The problem is that the NBA stars all completely believed that they were going to let the best players under contract stay at a high number over $20M and make the guys signing new contracts dip considerably. I called B.S. on it. Didn't happen. NBA would never have had such an asymmetrical system, so maybe if reason ruled the day a little more than panic did, Melo might've come cheaper.

By the way, the salary cap experts like Coon said it was going to happen too.
playboy jeanie
Sophomore
And1: 77

Post#62 » by playboy jeanie » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:13 pm

1) Good article but it isnt something new. We've been reading this about Carmelo, about his strengths and flaws, MeloDrama I, his situation on this site and this very board (from the objective members anyway) for years.

2) The Bulls are absolutely better than the Knicks. The Bulls finished 11 games ahead of the Knicks. Bulls did not have Rose last year. The Knicks had Carmelo at his best. Its easy to see, even without Rose, a similar Carmelo might push the Bulls over the top.
Starbury316
Bench Warmer
And1: 111

Post#63 » by Starbury316 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:07 pm

Peelboy wrote:
Starbury316 wrote:
He doesn't give credit to the fact that the last 2 dynasties(Bulls Lakers) have been constructed by the same man whose running the show now in NY. It's all good tho. For the next 2-3 yrs the East is WIDE OPEN.

THE TIME IS NOW

Phil didn't construct either of those dynasties. He coached them, got them to play as a team, turned the rosters into champions, but he had little to nothing to do with constructing the rosters/putting the teams together.

He's a master at getting guys to fill roles on the court and play together/within a system, but his ability to get guys onto the team and get guys that fit together well is TBD. More to the point, the same things working against the Bulls/Lakers/Rockets wrt Melo will be working against Phil - players will be able to get more money elsewhere and potentially in better competitive situations.

Phil had a hand in finding and picking talent in both places. That was said by both Shaq and MJ. No he wasn't the GM but he had a hand in the process.
[GR]
RealGM
And1: 1,947

Simmons on Melo 

Post#64 » by [GR] » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:19 pm

delvec19
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,920

Re: Simmons on Melo 

Post#65 » by delvec19 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:22 pm

old
Jstarks3
General Manager
And1: 740

Post#66 » by Jstarks3 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:33 pm

GREAT FIND OMGGGGGZZZZZZZZ
by IllmaticHandler

I just got off the Phone with NAS. He said if you listen closely to the intro he not saying **** Jayz. He knew one day a cat name Joey would play himself on realgm. Ether was meant to be used in the future. :o
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,704

Post#67 » by F N 11 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:04 pm

I dont read Simmons pieces on Melo. He's worse than Barkley. Str8 hater.
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
nykfan42
Head Coach
And1: 3,077

Post#68 » by nykfan42 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:12 pm

Make the Knicks great again!
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,162

Post#69 » by mpharris36 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:15 pm

[GR] wrote:http://grantland.com/features/carmelo-anthony-new-york-knicks-legacy/

B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
Marty McFly
RealGM
And1: 9,343

Post#70 » by Marty McFly » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:34 pm

JayKnicKz11 wrote:I dont read Simmons pieces on Melo. He's worse than Barkley. Str8 hater.

it was a good piece though. i wouldn't take Simmons hate too seriously.
Guano wrote:Fourni3r forgetting he has Bob cousy handles

Woodsanity wrote:Imagine trusting a team with World B Flat on it without Lebron keeping him in check.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,483

Post#71 » by Capn'O » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:35 pm

JayKnicKz11 wrote:I dont read Simmons pieces on Melo. He's worse than Barkley. Str8 hater.

Actually, the article is extremely complimentary to Melo. Harsh on NYK.

I hadn't read it.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,704

Post#72 » by F N 11 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:41 pm

Capn'O wrote:

Actually, the article is extremely complimentary to Melo. Harsh on NYK.

I hadn't read it.

CEO of the not trading RJ club.
Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,044

Post#73 » by Sark » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:52 pm

Bill Simmons is a douche. Every time I try to read his stuff, I get through the first paragraph and say to myself, "This guy is a douche. Why am I reading this?". The proceed to close the page.
liknicks7
Rookie
And1: 431

Post#74 » by liknicks7 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:12 pm

The article is good but I'm sick of the Melo isn't quite a superstar argument. If he's not, who is? Using the criteria they seem to use to draw that conclusion, no one aside from Lebron is a superstar.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,483

Post#75 » by Capn'O » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:34 pm

GREAT read on Melo but Bill Simmons needs to learn to respect PMFJ. The "B" is coming for you Bill. It's coming.

PMFJ is going to build a very good team here.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
TraSoul82
Junior
And1: 182

Post#76 » by TraSoul82 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:12 pm

One can only imagine the amount of points Carmelo would have, not to mention how offensively efficient he would be, if he flopped and/or got superstar calls.

Phil Jackson can really tap into Melo's psyche and make him the big cog in a proven system, then the entire league is in for a huge surprise. I don't expect to see MJ or Bean, but I do expect to see a significant elevation in Melo's play. Things could get very interesting. The potential is clearly there, and I don't think PMFJB could sleep well knowing he couldn't do any better Karl, D'Antoni, or Woodson at tapping that potential. At the same time, I hope Melo doesn't blow the opportunity to take it to that next level. It's on him to buy in.
hatnlvr
General Manager
And1: 1,117

Post#77 » by hatnlvr » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:38 am

The article was a great read but makes a lot of assumptions. Basically saying Melo is doomed to mediocrity playing for the Knicks isn't giving Phil much credit at all. After seeing the moves he's made in such a short amount of time (getting rid of supposedly the worse starting PG in the league, and a complete malcontent who Simmons admits mailed in more games than anyone else on the team) showed me enough in a short amount of time to at least give Phil the benefit of the doubt to build a contender.

Tons of cap space next year, a new coach and system this year, and improved PG play at a minimum says let's wait and see how this team develops. Phil may be able to put the right pieces in place around Melo and build a legit contender.
ImageImage

Return to New York Knicks