ImageImageImageImageImage

OT NYC Cops Choke Man Resulting in Death

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Ignitowsky
General Manager
And1: 2,494

Re: OT NYC Cops Choke Man Resulting in Death 

Post#121 » by Ignitowsky » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:28 pm

Sprewell4Three wrote:The race hustlers are out in full force. From Al Sharpton to those that spew " the white man's the devil"

I really want to know what happened to the outrage or the marches for Officer Melvin Santiago when he was murdered? I didn't hear a peep from Sharpton over the death of Santiago. Why? Because he wasn't quote on quote black? He's a minority like you , Sharpton..you freaking race hustler.

Sharpton is an opportunistic piece of scum. All anyone needs to remember about him is the Tawana Brawley case and the fact that he never apologized or in any way tried to make amends for the way he vilified any of the people falsely accused.
All in all he's just another prick with no wall
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,636

Post#122 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:56 am

Sprewell4Three wrote:The race hustlers are out in full force. From Al Sharpton to those that spew " the white man's the devil"

I really want to know what happened to the outrage or the marches for Officer Melvin Santiago when he was murdered? I didn't hear a peep from Sharpton over the death of Santiago. Why? Because he wasn't quote on quote black? He's a minority like you , Sharpton..you freaking race hustler.

I agree with you re all the venom spewing from either sides extremists. Completely uncalled for and takes away from the legitimate arguments to be made here.

But moving on to Officer Santiago, there is a big difference when an officer dies in the line of duty and when an officer illegally uses his authority as an officer to kill a citizen. We all mourn the loss of a fallen officers and firefighters (my brother in law is FDNY) who die in the line of duty, but this is what they signed up for. But when an officer whose oath is to "Protect and Serve" instead murders, that justifiably causes a lot of outrage.

By the way, the "crime" of selling "loosies," carries NO JAIL TIME.

Bill Maher's new rule re police brutality from last week's show. He didn't even mention the Garner case.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bs9LNAI0nBc[/youtube]
Free Palestine
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#123 » by Dr. Detfink » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:23 am

It's true, selling "loosies" carries no jail time BUT every time you sell, you can be arrested and fined up to $500 especially if you sold to under aged kids (which would be the only age group stupid enough to buy from a guy on the street unlicensed).

NOW...arrested 30 times for selling...depending on the fine each time upwards $100-500 for multiple offense, you CAN go to jail for failing to pay a fine over a period of time.

Still doesn't overshadow what a disgusting move it was putting this guy in a chokehold. One would think with all of the city's troubles that would be a very low priority.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#124 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:30 am

Welp, the entire NYPD - 35,000 police officers - will be re-trained on the use of force policy, i.e. from verbal commands to deadly force.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc ... -1.1876096

NYPD Commissioner Bill Bratton orders all 35,000 cops to be retrained in using force after chokehold was used on Eric Garner
An autopsy on Eric Garner proved 'inconclusive,' but further tests will be performed. As protests and cries for justice resounded on the steps of City Hall, Bratton ordered an investigation on the use of force.

BY ROCCO PARASCANDOLA , ERIN DURKIN , BILL HUTCHINSON NEW YORK DAILY NEWS Published: Tuesday, July 22, 2014, 2:52 PM Updated: Wednesday, July 23, 2014, 1:00 AM

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc ... z38GpuwHCj
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#125 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:34 am

Dr. Detfink wrote:It's true, selling "loosies" carries no jail time BUT every time you sell, you can be arrested and fined up to $500 especially if you sold to under aged kids (which would be the only age group stupid enough to buy from a guy on the street unlicensed).

NOW...arrested 30 times for selling...depending on the fine each time upwards $100-500 for multiple offense, you CAN go to jail for failing to pay a fine over a period of time.

Still doesn't overshadow what a disgusting move it was putting this guy in a chokehold. One would think with all of the city's troubles that would be a very low priority.

Arrests don't equal convictions, Doc. I don't even know that Garner was in fact "under arrest" at the time. I can't make that out from the video. And even if he was "under arrest," it's a summary offense (i.e. not even a misdemeanor) and the cops just give you a ticket for the fine.
Free Palestine
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#126 » by Dr. Detfink » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:32 am

Well I realize that about arrests vs convictions but I am talking about failing to pay over a long period of time.

Hmm. So no matter how much money you owe in fines like traffic tickets or any other infraction and never pay but continue to accrue...you can't be summoned to court? Was always under the impression if you contain to be fined and don't pay, you have to eventually go to court.

I am not disputing anything said, just curious for clarification.
H_20
RealGM
And1: 769

Post#127 » by H_20 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:38 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:

I agree with you re all the venom spewing from either sides extremists. Completely uncalled for and takes away from the legitimate arguments to be made here.

But moving on to Officer Santiago, there is a big difference when an officer dies in the line of duty and when an officer illegally uses his authority as an officer to kill a citizen. We all mourn the loss of a fallen officers and firefighters (my brother in law is FDNY) who die in the line of duty, but this is what they signed up for. But when an officer whose oath is to "Protect and Serve" instead murders, that justifiably causes a lot of outrage.

By the way, the "crime" of selling "loosies," carries NO JAIL TIME.

Bill Maher's new rule re police brutality from last week's show. He didn't even mention the Garner case.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bs9LNAI0nBc[/youtube]

I never would have thought that a liberal like Bill Maher would ever talk about the expanding militarization of the police in this country. Guys, this will only get worse...
NYKAL
General Manager
And1: 2,157

Post#128 » by NYKAL » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:09 pm

So, ANYTIME someone is unjustly killed, Sharpton is supposed to make an appearance. Not defending him because I think he is trash but, some of these comments are just unreasonable. Maybe he was otherwise engaged that day.

The truth is that Blacks don't see him as a leader at least no one I have ever met would claim he is but, he is very good at garnering attention when needed. Those who see him as a leader in the Black community are mainly church leaders and white (I shouldn't say white, I'll go with Non-Black folk). Its also what got him a gig on TV....I think the media secretly Loves him or, they wouldn't cover him so heavily.

I will say this about him....the time he ran for president, he sounded like one of the most intelligent person in those debates.
mrtease
Sophomore
And1: 220

Post#129 » by mrtease » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:28 pm

Strange how you get more outraged about Al Sharpton saying things, than you do about someone being choked to death for selling loose cigarettes. What's that about?
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#130 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:56 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:Well I realize that about arrests vs convictions but I am talking about failing to pay over a long period of time.

Hmm. So no matter how much money you owe in fines like traffic tickets or any other infraction and never pay but continue to accrue...you can't be summoned to court? Was always under the impression if you contain to be fined and don't pay, you have to eventually go to court.

Like a scofflaw or something? Then there be an arrest warrant issued, which wasn't done in this case.

Did Garner owe a lot of money in fines?
Free Palestine
boomann21
RealGM
And1: 2,777

Post#131 » by boomann21 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:39 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Dr. Detfink wrote:Well I realize that about arrests vs convictions but I am talking about failing to pay over a long period of time.

Like a scofflaw or something? Then there be an arrest warrant issued, which wasn't done in this case.

From the research I've don on this case it seems as if Garner had it set up where they were bring in cigs from places further south for the lower price. They would then sell the Cigs as loosies to make even more of a profit. I watched a video where one of his associates says it's more money in the Cig game than the dope game. Let me see if I can find that video..here it is. Either way I don't think the cops ever told him he was under arrest. The witnesses even said he was trying to stop a fight that took place before the cops arrived.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt0JHD7YGsw[/youtube]
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,303

Post#132 » by thebuzzardman » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:22 pm

It's funny how used to the police state we've become that so many accept the fact that this guy should be "taken down" because he's been busted a lot.

Busted a lot, for basically black marketing stuff.

It's criminal activity, yes, but not like the guy is some violent felon.

Who really gives a sh*t about black market cigarettes? NY State Tax department? Phillip Morris? Bloomberg and other smoke nazis? But regular citizens get mad over this stuff?

Meanwhile, on wall street, dozens upon dozens of crimes are committed to the tune of billions of dollars, almost no one (or actually no one) has done jail time and collectively we don't bat an eye

Interesting state of mind in the USA
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#133 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:38 pm

boomann21 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

From the research I've don on this case it seems as if Garner had it set up where they were bring in cigs from places further south for the lower price. They would then sell the Cigs as loosies to make even more of a profit. I watched a video where one of his associates says it's more money in the Cig game than the dope game. Let me see if I can find that video..here it is. Either way I don't think the cops ever told him he was under arrest. The witnesses even said he was trying to stop a fight that took place before the cops arrived.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt0JHD7YGsw[/youtube]

That's my understanding too.
Free Palestine
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,499

Post#134 » by Fat Kat » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:13 pm

http://www.theroot.com/articles/culture ... d_cop.html

More evidence of New York City Police Department officers appearing to use illegal choke holds are popping up since the death of Staten Island dad Eric Garner.

In the latest incident, an officer was caught on film seeming to use the illegal move to restrain a seven-months-pregnant Brooklyn woman, the New York Daily News reports.

According to the news site, an advocacy group based in the Brooklyn neighborhood of East New York released photos of 27-year-old Rosan Miller being restrained by a cop who seemingly has his arm around her neck. Miller had apparently gotten into the dispute after being caught grilling on a public sidewalk.
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
Ignitowsky
General Manager
And1: 2,494

Post#135 » by Ignitowsky » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:58 am

There was an interesting article in the Times a few days ago about the "Broken Windows" policy that Bratton implemented in the 90s and is going strong today. My opinion is that NYC cops going Zero Dark 30 on people selling loosies or grilling on the sidewalk is just wrong

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/25/nyregion/safer-era-tests-wisdom-of-broken-windows-focus-on-minor-crime-in-new-york-city.html?_r=0
All in all he's just another prick with no wall
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#136 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:39 am

Jahmiel Cuffee - this incident happened shortly after Garner. Props to the cameraman for being a stand up guy, not to mention his excellent color commentary. Wait a second, is that SAS?

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1WYWvqvg8A[/youtube]
Free Palestine
godkingleonidas
Banned User
And1: 2,215

Post#137 » by godkingleonidas » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:52 am

MikeXL wrote:Nothing will ever change until cops are subjected to the law and not above it.

Should be a murder charge, will probably be a paid suspension.

#paycation
godkingleonidas
Banned User
And1: 2,215

Post#138 » by godkingleonidas » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:55 am

Stop, frisk, assault, choke and kill. Serve and protect, once in a while.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/pregnant-woman-apparently-put-chokehold-article-1.1882755
kerry kittles
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,198

Post#139 » by kerry kittles » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:57 am

NowWHYcee7 wrote:This is why I dont give a **** when cops get killed. **** cops.

This is **** disgusting post. It's a shame there's people like this out there.
emo
RealGM
And1: 4,732

Post#140 » by emo » Sun Aug 3, 2014 7:49 am

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc ... -1.1888808

Eric Garner, the Staten Island dad who complained that he couldn’t breathe as he was subdued by cops, died from compression of the neck, the medical examiner said Friday.

The autopsy also found that compressions to the chest and “prone positioning during physical restraint by police” killed Garner. The manner of death, according to the medical examiner, was homicide.
Guano wrote:Will be interesting to see how this place transitions from killing Melo to turning on KP. I'm hoping Frank shows out so we can divide into Frank vs KP factions. That should be fun.

Return to New York Knicks