ImageImageImageImageImage

"Realistic" Predictions for the NY Knicks 2014-5 season

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

melo mvp 15
Assistant Coach
And1: 393

Re: "Realistic" Predictions for the NY Knicks 2014-5 season 

Post#61 » by melo mvp 15 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:58 pm

I'm just really excited for this season. Seeing what should be a functional TEAM will be amazing after what we all had to suffer through last season. Even if we don't make the playoffs (still think and hope that we do though), we could look at this season as a foundation for the future- plus we'd get a pretty good pick. Then again, being in the playoffs and only getting a pick that's like 4-5 spots lower would be infinitely better IMO.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,478

Post#62 » by j4remi » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:29 pm

6-8 seed.

Shumpert will be in consideration for most improved player as the system will fit him like a glove.

Cole Aldrich will get a surprising amount of minutes (nothing crazy but he'll be a legit rotation player) and prove himself a valuable piece to have.

Melo's scoring numbers will dip but he'll push for a top five in MVP voting thanks to rebounding and assists coupled with the Knicks making the post season.

JR gets dealt at the deadline and the Knicks will be a big name drop for the sources and rumors as it approaches.

Early has a late impact with solid numbers as he becomes a back-up Forward thanks to injuries to our expiring overpaid PF/C's.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
Zooropa
Veteran
And1: 1,881

Post#63 » by Zooropa » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:06 am

For all the flak Woodson caught on here last season, it seems people are seriously undervaluing the impact of a new coach and established offensive system. Furthermore, a lot of fat has been trimmed off the roster (literally and figuratively), and we have addressed our single biggest need from a roster point of view (a suitable starting point guard).

For how hard we crumbled under relatively high expectations last year, I think that we rebound hard under the low expectations in 14-15: 44-49 wins, beat out the Raptors for the Atlantic, get out of the first round, and reestablish credibility going into next year's key off-season.
"The Jeff Hornacek Experience"
drj
Analyst
And1: 71

Post#64 » by drj » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:22 am

A lot depends on how fast our guys pick up the system. I predict that we'll struggle out of the gate and face some early season adversity. Then things will stabilize, maybe we get to .500 and challenge for a low playoff seed. But in the end I still see us as too limited offensively (is JR still our second option?) and too flawed defensively to go anywhere.
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,274

Post#65 » by Clyde Frazier » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:05 am

I'd like to re-visit this as we get closer to the season. Jackson doesn't have a TON of flexibility right now, but there may be more moves made before opening night.

As currently constructed, I think we can make the playoffs. Not comfortable with saying much more than that.
AJ Valliant
Rookie
And1: 629

Post#66 » by AJ Valliant » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:41 am

40 wins.

I see them stumbling out of the gates as they adjust to a new coach, new talent, and new system. They will be playing hard but that is a lot to adjust too no matter how much you want to win. I can see the Knicks being pretty good by the end of year when the machine starting moving in synch, but the hole will be deep enough .500 will be just out of reach.

Mind all of that is based on the roster as constructed and I suspect there is still a few significant moves to be made.
seren
RealGM
And1: 4,202

Post#67 » by seren » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:53 am

Difficult to assess. We have a boatload of expiring contracts. Awfully similar to 09-10 season. Granted with more talent and hopefully a better coach. Still it won't be easy to get this group work for a common goal. I woukd say anywhere between 30 to 45 wins.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using RealGM Forums mobile app
alwaysaknick
Pro Prospect
And1: 423

Post#68 » by alwaysaknick » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:49 am

The bottom line is, we have to win 37 games at least.
aj49689
Rookie
And1: 119

Post#69 » by aj49689 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:49 am

:oops: I'll do my best to guess what will come at the end of next season. Knicks will win 47-52 games, being better then the Nets. Cleveland will be good but I believe it will take them a year to Gel. Miami will still be good but I believe they won't win it all. I see a Kevin Love injury sometime in the season. Wizards are better this coming year and the bulls will coast at times. I believe D-Rose will play in the playoffs next season and he will be unstoppable if healthy.

Knicks will have to go threw a few teams in order to survive the East. Indiana will fall off the horse this coming year and I believe Roy H. will want to be traded again.

My guess for Easter conference standings:

1. Miami-1 or 2
2. Cleveland 1 or 2
3. Chicago 1-3
4. Washington 4 or 5
5. Knicks 4 - 6 :nod:
6. Milwaukee 6 - 8
7. Brooklyn/Indiana 5 - 8 :noway:
8. Detroit/Atlanta/Toronto/Indiana 6-8 :banghead:

I know I got multiple possible standings. You never know what will happen but I think Milwaukee will take half the season to get on track. I think Cleveland can be number 1 but it takes some Gel-in and if any team can do it in a short amount of time it will be Lebrons team. Chicago will compete for the number 1 threw 3 spot, its only a matter of time that those draft picks they acquired start playing well together this season. D-rose could come out blazing with an incredible season. Washington and Milwaukee kinda remind me of each other in the standings when I look ahead. Knicks have potential but it all depends on Amare's health being a number one factor. Secondly, the Knicks won't be switching on D with woody on the side lines so it brings me more hope in the coming season. Although I would like to think the Knicks can have another 50+ win season, Its more likely that they will get into the high 40s. Brooklyn: I have them not being as good as the Knicks and where ever the Knicks fall in the standings the Nets will be right behind them somewhere. J-kidd coaching MIL gives good vib's towards their chances of competing in the playoffs with the second round draft pick. I believe it will take J. Parker a few months to get his game together and after he does, look out for him to become something great. The last playoff spot is a big ? mark as always. I feel as if their will be a few teams that will battle for it. Detroit will be better this season then the last but I am not sure if they will be better then Toronto or Atlanta. Hard to say what Toronto is going to show this coming season. I just feel that they will take a step back wards. Not sure but I guess this could be wrong since no one is telling me the future when it comes to this stuff. :crazy:
If you want, to destroy my sweater. Pull this "Thread" as I walk away.

CARROT SOUP!
Hijinks
Analyst
And1: 1,327

Post#70 » by Hijinks » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:24 am

i am with you guys on the 6th / 7th seed predcition with around 45 wins. one big reason, will be bargs and amare because of their contract situations. both are playing for a new contract and in amare's case maybe even his last contract. that motivates people. we've seen it all the time in this league.

just don't got to the gb and tell those guys our predictions. they'll be calling you crazy.
too many urkels on your team, that's why your wins low
Skoolboy
Freshman
And1: 4

Post#71 » by Skoolboy » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:35 pm

blueNorange wrote:35ish wins.

its still anthony and a bunch of nothing.

marc gasol + lottery pick next year along with melo is a good offseason.

a better point, more range from our bigs (if smith stays healthy) and a system to follow.

45+wins
Why do the Yankees win every year? 'Cause they can't keep their eyes off the pinstripes
Skoolboy
Freshman
And1: 4

Post#72 » by Skoolboy » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:41 pm

aj49689 wrote::oops: I'll do my best to guess what will come at the end of next season. Knicks will win 47-52 games, being better then the Nets. Cleveland will be good but I believe it will take them a year to Gel. Miami will still be good but I believe they won't win it all. I see a Kevin Love injury sometime in the season. Wizards are better this coming year and the bulls will coast at times. I believe D-Rose will play in the playoffs next season and he will be unstoppable if healthy.

Knicks will have to go threw a few teams in order to survive the East. Indiana will fall off the horse this coming year and I believe Roy H. will want to be traded again.

1. Miami-1 or 2
2. Cleveland 1 or 2
3. Chicago 1-3
4. Washington 4 or 5
6. Milwaukee 6 - 8

I know I got multiple possible standings. You never know what will happen but I think Milwaukee will take half the season to get on track. I think Cleveland can be number 1 but it takes some Gel-in and if any team can do it in a short amount of time it will be Lebrons team. Chicago will compete for the number 1 threw 3 spot, its only a matter of time that those draft picks they acquired start playing well together this season. D-rose could come out blazing with an incredible season. Washington and Milwaukee kinda remind me of each other in the standings when I look ahead. Knicks have potential but it all depends on Amare's health being a number one factor. Secondly, the Knicks won't be switching on D with woody on the side lines so it brings me more hope in the coming season. Although I would like to think the Knicks can have another 50+ win season, Its more likely that they will get into the high 40s. Brooklyn: I have them not being as good as the Knicks and where ever the Knicks fall in the standings the Nets will be right behind them somewhere. J-kidd coaching MIL gives good vib's towards their chances of competing in the playoffs with the second round draft pick. I believe it will take J. Parker a few months to get his game together and after he does, look out for him to become something great. The last playoff spot is a big ? mark as always. I feel as if their will be a few teams that will battle for it. Detroit will be better this season then the last but I am not sure if they will be better then Toronto or Atlanta. Hard to say what Toronto is going to show this coming season. I just feel that they will take a step back wards. Not sure but I guess this could be wrong since no one is telling me the future when it comes to this stuff. :crazy:

So you have the bucs making the playoffs over the hawks(who did it without Horford last yr) and bobcats(who added Stephenson) :crazy:
Why do the Yankees win every year? 'Cause they can't keep their eyes off the pinstripes
jstudabaka
Bench Warmer
And1: 681

Post#73 » by jstudabaka » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:05 pm

This team's goal should be to win the division. It's wide-open. If we have good coaching and an actual system this year, Melo + a handful of decent supporting pieces should be enough to win a weak Atlantic division. Win the division, and then you get a manageable first-round opponent -- If we pull an upset Rd 1, and seem like legitimately only a move or two away from real contention, it will probably be easier to get people here in 2015. I think what I just outlined is the most realistic optimistic scenario for this year.
aj49689
Rookie
And1: 119

Post#74 » by aj49689 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:50 pm

Skoolboy wrote:
aj49689 wrote::oops: I'll do my best to guess what will come at the end of next season. Knicks will win 47-52 games, being better then the Nets. Cleveland will be good but I believe it will take them a year to Gel. Miami will still be good but I believe they won't win it all. I see a Kevin Love injury sometime in the season. Wizards are better this coming year and the bulls will coast at times. I believe D-Rose will play in the playoffs next season and he will be unstoppable if healthy.

1. Miami-1 or 2
2. Cleveland 1 or 2
3. Chicago 1-3
4. Washington 4 or 5
6. Milwaukee 6 - 8

So you have the bucs making the playoffs over the hawks(who did it without Horford last yr) and bobcats(who added Stephenson) :crazy:

I figured you would wonder more about Indiana then the Hawks. Bucks just picked up a good point guard that was 5th in turn over ratio. They also added J-Kidd as head coach, I believe he will help get the Bucks a playoff berth. Not to mention, they have the 2nd draft pick.

If anything, Toronto or Indiana will beat out the bucks in the standings. Atlanta was slipping in the standings near the end of the season. If you remember, the Hawks started the season as one of the best teams after the 1/3rd of the season. That team isn't the same team showing up this coming season. Same goes for Jr. Smith, he came off of knee surgery last season and wasn't fully in shape to start. He should come out more ready this season and I can see him having a better year due to it being his opt out year to follow. Anyone playing for contract knows its now or never and you get better results out of those types then you do with a "Melo" that signed a 5 year contract. I don't see Melo averaging over 25 points this coming season. He would likely end up with 23-24 points a game and claim he trust his teammates more. Unless Jose is able to help Anthony get easier buckets and Melo isn't played way too many min's, then I could be wrong.
If you want, to destroy my sweater. Pull this "Thread" as I walk away.

CARROT SOUP!

Return to New York Knicks