ImageImageImageImageImage

Howdy Fellas...SLow time so - info on guards

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Knicksman780
Lead Assistant
And1: 899

Howdy Fellas...SLow time so - info on guards 

Post#1 » by Knicksman780 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:26 pm

Things are a bit slow right now. The latest has us putting JR, Iman & Shane on the block. Well, I can tell you all this...

Phil operates in silence. He has put a strict gag order on all NY Knicks personnel...anything "leaked" out is due to media assumption, player agents or other team leaks. Nothing from the NY side of things. Robert Randolph also IS NOT Knicks personnel, and most of his info is just him saying stuff out of the blue...I wonder how long before he draws an ire from Knicks brass.
Phil also has a "media transparency" rule with himself and Mills, but they are systematically and strategically relaying info. They give good stuff, but very careful not to give too much...(such as Mills the other day not guaranteeing Tyler a roster spot, saying he's fighting for a spot like everyone else...saying that they would like to balance out the roster...saying that Early will back up Melo - interesting) but endorsing Aldrich as a smart player who will help this year.

That said, my info has become limited, but I do get info from some people. Most of it is BS (they are Robert Randolph-like with their info at times), so I don't even bother with it. But while some of the stuff is questionable, I figured to let you in on it just for discussion sake (because there's nothing else going on anyway right now)

1. Iman seems to be the name that keeps getting mentioned, but we won't part with him just to make space. Phil values him highly (which is why he's rejected at least 2 real trades for Iman). They say that Phil and Fisher want to see him in the triangle and training camp before they consider moving him. They are very pleased with his offseason workouts that they told him to do, and he's done it all religiously. For the most part, he's here until we see if he can play in our system.

2. JR is on the block...has been all summer. But the market for him is slim. Very slim. Other teams think that he's a head case, which is why after his stint in China he had very limited suitors. He's our most talented 2 guard as far as all around game, but he also has enough size to play the 3 as well. I heard a crazy rumor about Bargs & JR for Rudy Gay...It was right around the time when Robert Randolph said Stat for Gay was a rumor too. I think that Phil wants to see Bargs in the triangle first, just like Shump. Phil also endorsed Bargs in an interview, but that could be Phil driving up value (like he did with Kerr lol)

3. Larkin has been endorsed by Phil and Fisher as a change of pace guard that we didn't have on the roster last year. They love his defensive intensity and the way he pushes the pace. He does have value around the league, however. I think they hold onto him for now.

4. Pablo seems like the odd man out and an easy dump to clear out a roster spot. I was speaking with a buddy who brought up a good team for Pablo...the Spurs. They are without Mills for a while, and Pablo fits the mold of super intelligent ball handler that would thrive in the Spurs system. I would love for him to go there and possibly win a ring before he retires.

5. THJ is someone that Phil, Mills and Fish are very high on. They fully expect him to thrive this year and compete for the starting 2 guard spot is what Mills said. Very interesting to me, because I don't think that he's "better" than JR yet, and in the summer league his chucking was kind of annoying at times.

6. Thanasis is someone that they are giving a full chance to make the roster. If not, then they will try to get him in the dleague before they send him to Europe.

That's the guards info and opinions for now. Later in the week, I'll see what's up with the bigs (unless something comes up sooner)
NYKinMIA
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,989

Re: Howdy Fellas...SLow time so - info on guards 

Post#2 » by NYKinMIA » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:32 pm

LJ4pointplay
Knicks Forum GM King
And1: 1,324

Post#3 » by LJ4pointplay » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:53 pm

but WHERE IS CARL????

red VW????
Knicksfan20
RealGM
And1: 5,759

Post#4 » by Knicksfan20 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:59 pm

Really want Iman to thrive in this system. Just a shame he will be gone next season. If he has a great season, he will prob get some big offers and we prob won't match.

or we match and cut into our cap space. And you know with his knees, he's taking the Money.
OminousEther
Pro Prospect
And1: 36

Post#5 » by OminousEther » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:00 am

Happy to hear that Iman is sticking around for awhile. These goram nincompoops on this board seem be giddy by the thought of throwing him in the bushes :noway: :banghead:
BeagleBoss
General Manager
And1: 4,331

Post#6 » by BeagleBoss » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:01 am

I just want Iman to defend like his rookie season and hit close to 40% from three.
bigfnjoe96
General Manager
And1: 3,948

Post#7 » by bigfnjoe96 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:14 am

Sent from my G2 via Tapatalk
Knicksman780
Lead Assistant

Post#8 » by Knicksman780 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:15 am

LJ4pointplay wrote:but WHERE IS CARL????

red VW????

I don't want to ruin people's jobs or lives, so I'll leave this one alone.
AllanHoustonFan
RealGM
And1: 6,966

Post#9 » by AllanHoustonFan » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:17 am

Thanks for the info as always
#MKGA
The Boss Speaks
Banned User
And1: 70

Post#10 » by The Boss Speaks » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:25 am

Forget the guards because either way we're set. What about the backup SF spot? A guy like Chris Singleton may be worth a look.
ctorres
RealGM
And1: 3,561

Post#11 » by ctorres » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:35 am

What I think Phil sees...

Andrea Bargnani -> Luc Longley, Toni Kukoc, Robert Horry, Pau Gasol
Iman Shumpert -> Ron Harper, Lindsey Hunter
Shane Larkin -> BJ Armstrong, Jordan Farmar
Thanasis Antetokounmpo -> Devean George, Sasha Vujacic, Trevor Ariza
Tim Hardaway Jr -> John Paxson, Steve Kerr

If Pablo gets traded, it better be to the Spurs or somewhere Pablo would be happy to play. Pablo has too much class to deserve anything less. He barely makes more than minimum salary. Don't disrespect him and his family.
ctorres
RealGM
And1: 3,561

Post#12 » by ctorres » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:40 am

The Boss Speaks wrote:Forget the guards because either way we're set. What about the backup SF spot? A guy like Chris Singleton may be worth a look.

I honestly think JR and Shump are fine at SF.
The Boss Speaks
Banned User
And1: 70

Post#13 » by The Boss Speaks » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:41 am

ctorres wrote:What I think Phil sees...

If Pablo gets traded, it better be to the Spurs or somewhere Pablo would be happy to play. Pablo has too much class to deserve anything less. He barely makes more than minimum salary. Don't disrespect him and his family.

Well tbh, Pablo should be the odd man out!

He doesn't do it for me on O' (doesn't drive or looks to shoot) and keep in mind that this is a business; if they can trade my main man Ewing/Clyde, they can do it to anybody else. Period! :wink:
Dantares
Head Coach
And1: 2,754

Post#14 » by Dantares » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:44 am

Knicksfan20 wrote:Really want Iman to thrive in this system. Just a shame he will be gone next season. If he has a great season, he will prob get some big offers and we prob won't match.

or we match and cut into our cap space. And you know with his knees, he's taking the Money.

we can sign a max player next summer and go over the cap to match shumpert if he has a breakout season.
"No protectors here. No Lanterns. No Kryptonian. This world will fall like all the others."

Dantares
Head Coach
And1: 2,754

Post#15 » by Dantares » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:49 am

ctorres wrote:What I think Phil sees...

um toni kukoc does not play like any of the other guys you compare him too. I don't even think luc Longley does either. but Horry, Pau, Bargnani are all versatile stretch 4's that can put the ball on the deck for a straight line drive.
"No protectors here. No Lanterns. No Kryptonian. This world will fall like all the others."

HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,608

Post#16 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:50 am

I'm all Carl-ed out, so yeah, whatever you say.
Free Palestine
newyorker4ever
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Post#17 » by newyorker4ever » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:01 am

The Boss Speaks wrote:Forget the guards because either way we're set. What about the backup SF spot? A guy like Chris Singleton may be worth a look.

The only way we can get a SF that can actually help us is by trade cause all we have is the vet min contracts to hand out and we won't be getting guys like Singleton or Marion with it unless we get lucky and find one still sitting out there in another month or two and they just want to sign it to get on a team.
Knicksman780
Lead Assistant

Post#18 » by Knicksman780 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:04 am

LJ4pointplay wrote:but WHERE IS CARL????

red VW????

I don't want to ruin people's jobs or lives, so I'll leave this one alone.
newyorker4ever
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Post#19 » by newyorker4ever » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:05 am

Dantares wrote:
Knicksfan20 wrote:Really want Iman to thrive in this system. Just a shame he will be gone next season. If he has a great season, he will prob get some big offers and we prob won't match.

we can sign a max player next summer and go over the cap to match shumpert if he has a breakout season.

Exactly. It will be up to us first on how much we want him and Jimmy doesn't mind paying the luxury tax if that's what has to happen.
Red Vines
RealGM
And1: 8,575

Post#20 » by Red Vines » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:09 am

Going to be a long two months before training camp.

Return to New York Knicks