ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Fight Club getting comic book sequel *record scratches*

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

OT: Fight Club getting comic book sequel *record scratches* 

Post#1 » by Dr. Detfink » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:00 pm

I lost nearly lost my mind when I first read Chuck Palahniuk green lit a comic book sequel to one of my favorite books and/or films, Fight Club. Question is, which interpretation? The book or the movie?

The endings for each one are very different from the other. Both are masterpieces in terms of an ideological discussion about the modern times and the mental decay that results from the demasculinization of men. What more needs to be said?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfDVLsBXYcM[/youtube]

As a man, I never take anything personally. That doesn't mean I don't agree with every one nor accept what is thrown at me like a bone. I'm certainly not afraid to fight for what I want.

I've lost every thing in my life a few times. Rebuilt it each time without malice.

What brings me back to this movie is how catty society has made men. Used to be kids would have a fist fight at school, you give them a grounding. Today they need counseling...every one gets an award at school...academic prozac is in.

I DO believe you learn a lot about yourself when you get your ass kicked. It's like failing at anything the first time. You are forced to look and breakdown the situation. As a result you become more confident in how you present, interact, and function as a man.

We're all going to bullied MANY, MANY times by authority. If you're not ready to handle that don't go outside your door.

But enough with life experiences...I don't know if I feel the need to find out what comes next. I am comfortable where both end.
H_20
RealGM
And1: 769

Re: OT: Fight Club getting comic book sequel *record scratch 

Post#2 » by H_20 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:04 pm

One of my favorite movies of all time, I'm not sure what to think of this yet but I put my trust in Chuck!
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,496

Post#3 » by j4remi » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:18 pm

The movie ending left plenty to wonder about...the book ending really felt like a perfect conclusion,

Spoiler:
He's locked up in what I'd presume is an asylum and his crazy mind thinks he's died and gone to heaven. I love the calling Marla and saying nothing part too.

If Chuck okayed the sequel and is having direct input, I'll have to look into it though. I've read every Palahniuk book except Pygmy and his non-fiction stuff.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
jwise44
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 9,341

Post#4 » by jwise44 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:42 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:I lost nearly lost my mind when I first read Chuck Palahniuk green lit a comic book sequel to one of my favorite books and/or films, Fight Club. Question is, which interpretation? The book or the movie?

The endings for each one are very different from the other. Both are masterpieces in terms of an ideological discussion about the modern times and the mental decay that results from the demasculinization of men. What more needs to be said?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfDVLsBXYcM[/youtube]

As a man, I never take anything personally. That doesn't mean I don't agree with every one nor accept what is thrown at me like a bone. I'm certainly not afraid to fight for what I want.

I've lost every thing in my life a few times. Rebuilt it each time without malice.

What brings me back to this movie is how catty society has made men. Used to be kids would have a fist fight at school, you give them a grounding. Today they need counseling...every one gets an award at school...academic prozac is in.

I DO believe you learn a lot about yourself when you get your ass kicked. It's like failing at anything the first time. You are forced to look and breakdown the situation. As a result you become more confident in how you present, interact, and function as a man.

We're all going to bullied MANY, MANY times by authority. If you're not ready to handle that don't go outside your door.

But enough with life experiences...I don't know if I feel the need to find out what comes next. I am comfortable where both end.

Fight club is probably the only movie that I have ever liked more than the book it was based on...I think I remember even chuck said he thought the movie was better

I love palahnuik and have read just about all of his books

After I finish this Vonnegut book I'm reading I'm starting his book Tell-All my dad got me, has anyone read it? (And it's not his book stranger than fiction, it's titled tell-all)

But to the point of the thread I will be excited for this for sure. I think a comic book sequel could be epic depending on how they handle it, and I don't think palahnuik would do something half-assed
jwise44
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#5 » by jwise44 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:50 pm

j4remi wrote:The movie ending left plenty to wonder about...the book ending really felt like a perfect conclusion,

Spoiler:
He's locked up in what I'd presume is an asylum and his crazy mind thinks he's died and gone to heaven. I love the calling Marla and saying nothing part too.

If Chuck okayed the sequel and is having direct input, I'll have to look into it though. I've read every Palahniuk book except Pygmy and his non-fiction stuff.

Pygmy is worth the read man I loved it

Still survivor is my favorite of his books
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#6 » by j4remi » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:28 pm

jwise44 wrote:
j4remi wrote:The movie ending left plenty to wonder about...the book ending really felt like a perfect conclusion,

Spoiler:

Since my Nook broke, I've been seriously slacking on reading. I was halfway through Damned (I think...whichever the sequel is in the Hell series) and Pygmy was a title I'd put off for a long time.

My personal favorite is tough to choose between Rant and Survivor with Choke being not far behind. I think Chuck's brilliant, the only book I didn't like was Diary.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Marty McFly
RealGM
And1: 9,343

Post#7 » by Marty McFly » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:36 pm

you should check out the prequel comics...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calvin_and_Hobbes

8-)
Guano wrote:Fourni3r forgetting he has Bob cousy handles

Woodsanity wrote:Imagine trusting a team with World B Flat on it without Lebron keeping him in check.
jwise44
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#8 » by jwise44 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:42 pm

j4remi wrote:
jwise44 wrote:

Spoiler:

Since my Nook broke, I've been seriously slacking on reading. I was halfway through Damned (I think...whichever the sequel is in the Hell series) and Pygmy was a title I'd put off for a long time.

My personal favorite is tough to choose between Rant and Survivor with Choke being not far behind. I think Chuck's brilliant, the only book I didn't like was Diary.

I read damned last year and I liked it a lot. His description of hell was funny to me

Rant was easily my number 2 behind survivor

I liked Pygmy a lot, hell it might be my number 3 from him. Next time you need a book to read try it.

I never read diary (I often get sidetracked by other authors like Christopher Moore [favorite author ever], Kurt Vonnegut, Tom Robbins, etc.), but if chuck wrote it I'm going to give it a try at least, eventually

Also, I have never read those nook things, I always like having the actual books....I probably need to invest in one though because my book shelf is overflowing hahah
kane
Head Coach
And1: 2,350

Post#9 » by kane » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:06 pm

i agree the movie was better then the book especially the ending, after i saw the movie i went back and read the book along with a bunch of other chuck novels. i wish they made some of his other work into movies but that being said i thought choke the movie version was a letdown :(
Slackstring701
Starter
And1: 1,963

Post#10 » by Slackstring701 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:21 pm

Chuck Palahniuk is waaaaaaaay past his prime.
DE FENSE
RealGM
And1: 2,631

Post#11 » by DE FENSE » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:43 pm

The last Chuck book I read was Pygmy which was pretty good, but I've left his recent stuff alone after the mess that was Snuff. I think he lost his touch, or maybe his formula just got stale. Still interested to see any type of Fight Club continuation.

Speaking of Chuck Palahniuk, what ever happened to the Invisible Monsters movie? I remember hearing they were making one years ago...??
jwise44
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#12 » by jwise44 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:13 pm

kane wrote:i agree the movie was better then the book especially the ending, after i saw the movie i went back and read the book along with a bunch of other chuck novels. i wish they made some of his other work into movies but that being said i thought choke the movie version was a letdown :(

Ya choke the movie sucked compared to the book

But I did like rockwells acting in it
jwise44
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#13 » by jwise44 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:16 pm

DE FENSE wrote:The last Chuck book I read was Pygmy which was pretty good, but I've left his recent stuff alone after the mess that was Snuff. I think he lost his touch, or maybe his formula just got stale. Still interested to see any type of Fight Club continuation.

Speaking of Chuck Palahniuk, what ever happened to the Invisible Monsters movie? I remember hearing they were making one years ago...??

Damn I never heard they were making that into a movie...I could see that working pretty well as a movie...not fight club well, but well
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#14 » by j4remi » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:46 pm

DE FENSE wrote:The last Chuck book I read was Pygmy which was pretty good, but I've left his recent stuff alone after the mess that was Snuff. I think he lost his touch, or maybe his formula just got stale. Still interested to see any type of Fight Club continuation.

I forgot all about Invisible Monsters, that's top 3 for sure (Lullaby in fourth). He's definitely not hitting as hard as he used to, but he's still a joy to read imo. Snuff was one of his weakest books, he's had better work since that dropped...namely the Damned books (it's a two book series). I really have to check out Pygmy.

Never knew Invisible Monsters was getting a movie, I'd love to see that but I can't see a major studio taking on that risk. It'd be a controversial movie for damn sure. I do remember Panic at the Disco having a song inspired by the book though (It's Time to Dance), just as a fun tidbit about the book.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

kane
Head Coach
And1: 2,350

Post#15 » by kane » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:11 pm

im pretty sure the Invisible Monsters movie got scrapped, alot of his stuff was being developed into movies/shows and they all seem to fall apart snuff/rant/survivor/Invisible Monsters were all optioned for years and nothing has happen

Brent easton Ellis is another guy in the same situation I always wanted to see a lunar park movie
DE FENSE
RealGM
And1: 2,631

Post#16 » by DE FENSE » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:47 pm

kane wrote:im pretty sure the Invisible Monsters movie got scrapped, alot of his stuff was being developed into movies/shows and they all seem to fall apart snuff/rant/survivor/Invisible Monsters were all optioned for years and nothing has happen

Brent easton Ellis is another guy in the same situation I always wanted to see a lunar park movie

Funny you mention Bret Easton Ellis...I also remember hearing that HBO or someone similar was doing a miniseries based on Glamorama. Seems like that fell apart somewhere along the line as well.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,967

Post#17 » by Manhattan Project » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:38 pm

I want Invisible Monsters and Rant... that would be entertaining. I do agree however that Chuck has lost it to a degree now a days, but he still had a great run.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones

Return to New York Knicks