ImageImageImageImageImage

We Need to Sign Shawn Marion...

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Johnny Hoops
RealGM
And1: 2,212

Re: We Need to Sign Shawn Marion... 

Post#41 » by Johnny Hoops » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:58 pm

dakomish23 wrote:[youtube]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnQ3aFudBLg[/youtube]

Thought I'd share this video. Some good play from Dalembert and Calderon, but also some good play from Marion that you can see working well in the triangle.

Man - Dirk still a beast in that particular game.

Jose-C --- very smart / purest of shooters.

Too bad we couldn't have snagged Brandon Wright along with the rest of that package from Dallas. He'd really help with our length and youthiness :D
Johnny Hoops
RealGM
And1: 2,212

Post#42 » by Johnny Hoops » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:00 pm

Being optimistic but maybe Phil has been in convo with Matrix representation and asking them to give him time to try and free up some space. Would be a nice late add.
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,923

Post#43 » by god shammgod » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:04 pm

Dwain Price ‏@DwainPrice 3h

#Mavs FA Shawn Marion on his free agency status: "I'm just chilling. I ain't talked to anybody. I ain't got nothing going on right now.''

you all do realize that swaggy just likes to start threads right
MelosSoreWrist
Analyst
And1: 1,565

Post#44 » by MelosSoreWrist » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:38 pm

so... we have to give up an asset to get rid of Bargs contract, then we give up another asset in the sign and trade for Marion....
NYK 455 wrote:
greenhughes wrote:I hope Melo leaves and wins a championship and rubs it all in our face.

How does that make you better than the Lin, Gallo, and Wil fans who root for them over NY?
ORANGEandBLUE
RealGM
And1: 1,334

Post#45 » by ORANGEandBLUE » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:40 am

There are a lot teams out there who would love to have Marion and could offer him a better combination of minutes/money/winning.

He would fit well in OKC as a replacement for Thabo.

Or how about Minnesota? Could fit alongside Love similarly to Dirk and would improve their playoff chances.
LJ4pointplay
Knicks Forum GM King
And1: 1,324

Post#46 » by LJ4pointplay » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:18 am

lol we would be the New York Mavs.

Dalambert=Dalambert
Marion=Marion
Calderon= Calderon
Melo=Dirk
JR=Monta

I guess the Mavs probably would have won the east last year, so..
NY2TheBay
General Manager
And1: 4,164

Post#47 » by NY2TheBay » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:43 am

Dont want, would rather give that PT to Early. Have him learn the triangle and get comfortable playing with shane, thj and melo.
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,109

Post#48 » by ozwizard8 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:39 am

if we'll sign him he'll be next MWP for this year.
i would rather sign beasley.

marioon cant shoot. his atleticism regressed too much. so we dont need him. i would rather give minutes to early and shumpert to play 3. and melo to play 4.

melo need another forward who can create space. beasley's shooting is little better than marion but also he can drive and finish against pf or post up against sf.
RealKnicks18
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#49 » by RealKnicks18 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:54 am

Not sure if he's still good defender due to his age even if he is still considered as good by fans' biased opinions.

Sent from my SHV-E250L using RealGM Forums mobile app
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,126

Post#50 » by moocow007 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:34 pm

RealKnicks18 wrote:Not sure if he's still good defender due to his age even if he is still considered as good by fans' biased opinions.

By no means is it what it used to be and his defensive win shares have dropped in each of the last 4 seasons. Other than a brief 20 game stint in Toronto his DWS last season was the lowest of his career.

But it still would be higher than every Knick on the team last season (with the exception of Carmelo Anthony <-- Anthony actually had the highest DWS on the Knicks last season). More than Tyson Chandler, more than Iman Shumpert.

Plus his other assets -- experienced winners, veteran leadership, toughness, team play and professionalism -- also are in short supply right now for the Knicks heading into 2014-2015. Reminder...the biggest difference between the 54 win team in 2012-2013 and the 37 win team in 2013-2014? Experienced winners, veteran leadership, toughness, team play and professionalism.

You're not bringing in a guy like Marion just for his stats and what he can physically do on the court. You're brining him in for that and everything else, all the intangibles he would bring.
Grover
Rookie
And1: 81

Post#51 » by Grover » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:09 pm

Though the chances are slim the Sixers do represent the best possible trade partner that could conceivably open enough space to fit Marion and his salary demands. I circled the 25th of August as the day the players from the Chandler trade can be combined. Mathematically possible before, trading for example Bargnani for Vornado and separately trading Shumpert for Ware would likely be viewed by the league office as circumventing the rules regarding trades. The Jason Smith signing actually plays in to the idea of of giving away Dalembert to the team willing to absorb Ellington. Whether it gets to the extreme of Stoudemire and Hardaway is certainly difficult but I could see the logic of opening considerable salary cap and adding several minimum salary vets to fill the vacancies. Throwing Dolan the luxury tax savings wouldn't hurt Jackson in the future when he wants to blow a hole through the cap.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,396

Post#52 » by dakomish23 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:21 pm

moocow007 wrote:
RealKnicks18 wrote:Not sure if he's still good defender due to his age even if he is still considered as good by fans' biased opinions.

By no means is it what it used to be and his defensive win shares have dropped in each of the last 4 seasons. Other than a brief 20 game stint in Toronto his DWS last season was the lowest of his career.

But it still would be higher than every Knick on the team last season (with the exception of Carmelo Anthony <-- Anthony actually had the highest DWS on the Knicks last season). More than Tyson Chandler, more than Iman Shumpert.

Plus his other assets -- experienced winners, veteran leadership, toughness, team play and professionalism -- also are in short supply right now for the Knicks heading into 2014-2015. Reminder...the biggest difference between the 54 win team in 2012-2013 and the 37 win team in 2013-2014? Experienced winners, veteran leadership, toughness, team play and professionalism.

You're not bringing in a guy like Marion just for his stats and what he can physically do on the court. You're brining him in for that and everything else, all the intangibles he would bring.

Great post. Everything u mentioned is exactly why I'm on board with the Matrix. That and I think Early will be a lat bloomer
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,639

Post#53 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:41 pm

Just sign somebody. Anybody. Sign some no name from Europe or South America or China or Mars to some non-guarenteed contact so that we have something to do.

I'll even take a rumor from almost any source other than Carl.
Free Palestine
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,126

Post#54 » by moocow007 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:06 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:Just sign somebody. Anybody. Sign some no name from Europe or South America or China or Mars to some non-guarenteed contact so that we have something to do.

The Knicks apparently are still interested in Ding Dong Choo Choo a decade later. Talks are finally materializing regarding the 7'13" shotblocker finally becoming a Knick and the two sides are closer than they have ever been. "Just finalizing the number of goats changing hands and the size of the dowry" according to Adrian Wojnarowski. "Possibly by the end of the week."
AmareNY
Banned User
And1: 167

Post#55 » by AmareNY » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:53 pm

Ding Dong Choo Coo is well past his prime, not sure we should make a run at him now almost 35. Great defender & strong leader on & off the court. Use his 7'11" frame well and got a 38" vertical jump. But father time catches up with everyone, Manute Bol called him the greatest player in the history of Dung Poo Tribe. In the Africa Games in 2012 he averaged 64.5 points & 24.4 rebounds with 14.8 blocks. Nice 3pt shooter [flat footed, but hits over 46%] But there a huge difference from the NBA to the Africa Pro League. Thin strong body, but very athletic player. Has trouble off the dribble, but has a nasty sky hook & strong passer. Afraid of flying, plus his tribe Chief refuses to let him leave the country. So I doubt we sign him to a contract now. There a nice video of him on the net, of Choo Coo schooling Hakeem Olajuwon, few year's back. But the Dream is way past his prime and Choo Coo is so quick up & down the court. Olajuwon could not keep pace with him. Still impressive to watch, so hit you tube & see for yourself.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,639

Post#56 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:34 pm

moocow007 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:Just sign somebody. Anybody. Sign some no name from Europe or South America or China or Mars to some non-guarenteed contact so that we have something to do.

The Knicks apparently are still interested in Ding Dong Choo Choo a decade later. Talks are finally materializing regarding the 7'13" shotblocker finally becoming a Knick and the two sides are closer than they have ever been. "Just finalizing the number of goats changing hands and the size of the dowry" according to Adrian Wojnarowski. "Possibly by the end of the week."

I always wanted someone on our team who was over 7'12". I'd put him right into the starting line-up.
Free Palestine
SF_Warriors
General Manager
And1: 3,794

Post#57 » by SF_Warriors » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:21 pm

AmazingJason wrote:Aldrich = Chandler
Melo = Dirk
Marion = Marion
Shumpert = Stevenson
Calderon = Kidd

Dalembert = Haywood
Bargnani = Stojakovic
Hardaway = Terry
Larkin = Barea

Fisher = Carlisle

What
FutureKnicksGM
Head Coach
And1: 1,505

Post#58 » by FutureKnicksGM » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:44 pm

It looks like he's holding out for money, so we have no shot
siar617
Analyst
And1: 457

Post#59 » by siar617 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:50 pm

FutureKnicksGM wrote:It looks like he's holding out for money, so we have no shot

Source
RealKnicks18
Ballboy
And1: 1

Re: ??: We Need to Sign Shawn Marion... 

Post#60 » by RealKnicks18 » Fri Aug 1, 2014 1:56 am

dakomish23 wrote:
moocow007 wrote:

Great post. Everything u mentioned is exactly why I'm on board with the Matrix. That and I think Early will be a lat bloomer

I'm not negative for landing him at all. If he comes it means he would accept vet. Minimum. I just wanted to be focus on his defense, and for rest of things I totally agree that we need some veterans.

Return to New York Knicks