HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,648

Re: OT: New York Mets 

Post#81 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Aug 1, 2014 9:06 pm

newyorker4ever wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
knickabocker88 wrote:Sandy Alderson vs the Mets Fans

1) Crying over Stephen Drew all Spring Training, Stephen Drew got traded for a bag of balls to the Yankees. He's hitting .175 this year

2) Since Wheeler wasn't as good as Harvey (Harvey put this unrealistic expectation of what a 1st year pitcher should be), Y'all wanted him to be traded for an Outfielder. Look at Wheeler now, Every Start he's gaining more and more command of all his pitches

3) Duda vs Ike, I know who the Majority of Mets fans wanted

Mets got next for the next 3-5 years and this is coming from a Yankees fan, Just let Alderson do his job. The Big Bats are coming this off-season.

Agreed. Sandy is patient to a fault, but I like his non-moves so far. :lol: I'm glad he's not jumping to trade Thor, deGrom or Wheeler. They need to stay put.

He's gonna have to trade some of this pitching this offseason cause we have too many guys ready to start and not enough spots. We have J.Niese,D.Gee,B.Colon,M.Harvey,J.DeGrom,Z.Wheeler,N.Syndergaurd,R.Montero and then we have a few guys coming up behind those guys like S.Matz,G.Ynoa and others that i can't think of right now. We absolutely have to get a big bat that we can rely on every day for the outfield.

We could probably sign Melky Cabrera to play LF during the off season without too much pain. He would actually be a big upgrade there and he wouldn't cost us anything except money.
Free Palestine
Shemy
Head Coach
And1: 460

Post#82 » by Shemy » Fri Aug 1, 2014 9:07 pm

NYKnickerbocker wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
2010 wrote:
Yes, their splits differential are a red flag. I think if anyone can entice the Marlins to part ways with Stanton it's us. Our minor league talent pool is deep as detailed in my previous post. We could give up a nice package and still have reinforcements ready in the stable.

We might have to overwhelm them to get them to trade them to a team in their Division. I wouldn't want to have to face Stanton all those games (18?) if I were them. If we had to face Thor 3 or 4 times a year that wouldn't be so bad.

They traded us piazza and Delgado, although those guys weren't their own homegrown prospects. But both of those guys were better hitters then Stanton.

Marlis are most likely not gunna wanna pay him. Might as welll take a Thor, Montero, plawecki, nimmo type package. And a power hitter like Stanton with the way it's hard to find power ( especially if the owner are cheap) u do that trade

Lol I remember being so pissed when the mets traded yusemiro petit and mike Jacobs for
Delgado :lol: think I might've been more pissed then when they gave kazmir up for fvkn victor zambrano
"They scared now"
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#83 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Aug 1, 2014 9:07 pm

NYKnickerbocker wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
NYKnickerbocker wrote:They traded us piazza and Delgado, although those guys weren't their own homegrown prospects. But both of those guys were better hitters then Stanton.

Marlis are most likely not gunna wanna pay him. Might as welll take a Thor, Montero, plawecki, nimmo type package. And a power hitter like Stanton with the way it's hard to find power ( especially if the owner are cheap) u do that trade

Can we substitute Wheeler for Thor?

I'd rather keep the guy who is already showing he can do it at the majors

Don't wanna trade wheeler and Thor turns out to be a brian matusz or Andrew miller top prospect bust.

Yeah, I hear you and it's hard to argue with that - until Thor comes up in September and pitches lights out. :lol:
Free Palestine
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,966

Post#84 » by Manhattan Project » Fri Aug 1, 2014 9:52 pm

newyorker4ever wrote:S.Alderson is definitely building this team to be a strong pitching team which is really close to being a top rotation in the league but i wouldn't say we don't have zero hitting cause we have Wright who's not having his best season but he'll still be a 280/300 hitter every year and we have Murphy who's also a 280/300 hitter. Then we have Duda starting to look like he'll be a decent 1st baseman who won't hit for average (maybe a 250 hitter) but will hit 25/30 hr's and it's looking like T.DarNaud is turning into the catcher we thought he was and then we have J.Lagaraus who's one of the best defensive center fielders in the game and we got the Grandy man who also won't hit for huge average but should be a 25 home run guy. So we need another outfielder and a short stop we need to make sure we get two really good players for those two positions whether we have to trade some of our top pitching for them or pay the money in free agency but if we can get two good players to play those spots we can be a pretty good team.

Everything you say is logical, but at the end of the day the Mets have a way of being the Mets. The moves that need to be taken usually aren't and we just have some bad karma around us it seems. You saw when Harvey was healthy the whispers of a 200 million dollar contract, they started to turn on him and paint him into a villain. I really like Lagares, like really like him. However in my eyes we still have two glaring holes in the corner spots, neither Young nor Granderson are really doing it for me.

It comes down to this, we need to make a move for something eventually. We got the deep pitching farm system, we need hitters. It's been this way for two years now, make that move Sandy.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
KnIcKsYaNkSmEtS1127
Starter
And1: 646

Post#85 » by KnIcKsYaNkSmEtS1127 » Fri Aug 1, 2014 10:20 pm

nykballa2k4 wrote:
KnicksManiac wrote:
I hate to say it, but you're lost.

1. The contract on Tulo is why the Mets won't make this deal??? It's below market value -- I cannot make that clearer. Don't use the argument that "Well the Mets have given other players big contracts and it hasn't worked out so there's no way they'd spend money on the best SS in baseball." That's a terrible attitude to have.

2. He's not just the best shortstop in the NL. He'd probably be the league's MVP if the season ended today.

3. You're just way off base with the "gelling." Turning the double play knowing the other fielders around you? These are big leaguers. They can turn routine double players in their sleep. You don't need to "gel" to turn a double play. And yes, I do think a guy like Wheeler will be better in two years. That's not gelling though. That's just when he's likely to enter his prime.

In 1998, did you not want to give up Preston Wilson in the trade for Piazza? Players like Tulo do not grow on trees. If you have the opportunity to land the best SS in baseball (especially when SS is the weakest position on the Mets right now), you do it.

The real reason not to go after Tulo is because he is often injured and his power numbers are skewed by his ball park. The same reasons to not go after a Jason Bay, a Granderson and other guys whose spray zone is in your home-fields warning track. Mets spent wisely on Johan. Mets would do well to spend on pitchers and bonafide power. I would even be more amenable to Cargo who has other tools to compensate for a power slip at CITI. Mets need two substantial "big boppers" to be the HR threat and then a series of solid guys around those two. Tulo is not going to contribute 40 HR. Not even 30 in a Mets uni. I'd say we need a guy who can safely produce 35 a season. With Duda establishing himself at a near 30 HR/yr level, Wright himself being a low 20's guy, and the possibility that our catcher could have some pop, that one addition is meaningful.

That's what I brought up originally he ignored it and brought up my 13 year old screen name cause you know when people counter point your opinion instead of answering with reason and logic just bring up something that has nothing to do with anything.
RealGM
And1: 39,217

Post#86 » by 2010 » Sat Aug 2, 2014 12:41 am

Where's my main man Daaaarryl?

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#87 » by Dr. Detfink » Sat Aug 2, 2014 1:02 am

How's Syndergaard doing? He wasn't doing too hot last Spring and was sent down. If he can get it together, the Mets will have the 1-2 that they have dreamed of.

As for DArnaud, Toronto fans couldn't wait for this guy to get out of town. They labeled him a bust and a jerk.
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,942

Post#88 » by Stannis » Sat Aug 2, 2014 2:00 am

Dr. Detfink wrote:How's Syndergaard doing? He wasn't doing too hot last Spring and was sent down. If he can get it together, the Mets will have the 1-2 that they have dreamed of.

As for DArnaud, Toronto fans couldn't wait for this guy to get out of town. They labeled him a bust and a jerk.
I really never knew this. Makes sense though. Blue Jays wouldn't give up 2 very good prospects for RA Dickey.

What about Becerra they got in the deal?
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#89 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Aug 2, 2014 2:14 am

Dr. Detfink wrote:How's Syndergaard doing? He wasn't doing too hot last Spring and was sent down. If he can get it together, the Mets will have the 1-2 that they have dreamed of.

He's had an up and down year. He admittedly let some things get "to his head" in Vegas, had some minor injuries, but seems to be settling down recently from what I read. A September call-up is still a good possibility.
Free Palestine
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#90 » by Dr. Detfink » Sat Aug 2, 2014 2:18 am

Travis Knight wrote:What about Becerra they got in the deal?

I didn't hear anything about him that hasn't been said already. :)
Daaaarryyl
Starter
And1: 502
Location: Eddie's house wondering why he wants to get me and Dave drunk.

Post#91 » by Daaaarryyl » Sat Aug 2, 2014 2:39 am

Travis Knight wrote:
I'm more into pitching. Anyone know if they have some batters coming into the ranks

They have used each of their last 3 1st round picks and their biggest international signing bonus in their history on bats the past 3 years.

'11 1st rounder Brandon Nimmo currently in AA can play CF better bet in a corner OF spot. Scouts unsure if he profiles as a very good hitter with some power or a guy who hits for a moderate average but hits for power. Personally, I love the fact that he draws a ton of walks. He could be up next year but most likely the year after.

'12 1st rounder Gavin Cechinni is pretty meh as a prospect IMHO. Some experts like him but most think he's probably an average everyday SS at best, say 3 years from now.

'13 1st rounder Dominic Smith is a ways away but could be an above average everyday 1B. Some think his questionable power potential make him a suspect prospect while others think he can be a star in 3-4 years.

Ahmed Rosario was signed 2 years ago as a 16 yr old out of the Dominican and some have predicted stardom as a 5-tool SS.

'14 1st rounder Michael Conforto was a college pick who could come quick as a middle of the order bat.

They also used the 2 picks for losing Jose Reyes on bats: C Kevin Plawecki near readyy at AAA and someone d'Arnoud may be fighting for a job with soon and SS Matt Reynolds who's maybe a Jefff Keppinger type- very good backup but not a regular.

And they dealt Marlon Bryd last August for Vic Black, but also a kid, Dilson Herrera, who is tearing up AA as a 20 year old and may be the 2b of the future...soon. Whih is why dealing Murphy makes sense.

They have acknowledged their weakness is hitting and have tried to address it the past few years.
Bulls69 wrote:The think about the Bulls we realizes we sucks but the Knicks on the other hand think everyone wants to play a garbage a** team. get real a team who has not won a win in over thirty -five years

Less Bulls, MORE books!!
Daaaarryyl
Starter

Post#92 » by Daaaarryyl » Sat Aug 2, 2014 3:38 am

nykballa2k4 wrote:
poeman wrote:Only team worse then the Knicks are the Jets in New York.

FIFY

I'm a Knicks, Mets and Jets fan and the Jets have had more success than the other two the past 10 years.

By a country mile.

But I do find it humorous how the media can actually make some fans believe things...
Bulls69 wrote:The think about the Bulls we realizes we sucks but the Knicks on the other hand think everyone wants to play a garbage a** team. get real a team who has not won a win in over thirty -five years

Less Bulls, MORE books!!
Daaaarryyl
Starter

Post#93 » by Daaaarryyl » Sat Aug 2, 2014 3:53 am

Travis Knight wrote:

I really never knew this. Makes sense though. Blue Jays wouldn't give up 2 very good prospects for RA Dickey.

What about Becerra they got in the deal?

Got busted last month for drag racing (with teammate Vicento Lupo).

Completely idiotic or just dumb teenager shyt, IDK.

But he's been raking ever since. Hopefully moves up a level before the end of the year.

Less Bulls, MORE books!!
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,942

Post#94 » by Stannis » Sat Aug 2, 2014 4:35 am

Daryl, I know your're a screwball, so you might like this:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PWE9sLkSLY[/youtube]
Free Palestine
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,901

Post#95 » by nykballa2k4 » Sat Aug 2, 2014 4:41 am

Daaaarryyl wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:
poeman wrote:Only team worse then the Knicks are the Jets in New York.

FIFY

I'm a Knicks, Mets and Jets fan and the Jets have had more success than the other two the past 10 years.

By a country mile.

But I do find it humorous how the media can actually make some fans believe things...

It depend on how you measure success. Johans achievement was HUGE for the Mets as a franchise. Has anything like that happened for the Jets like that recently? Also, I probably would have agreed back in the Jerry Manuel days. Those were brutal with Castillo getting injured by a dugout. Oli Perez, John Maine getting imasculated on a daily basis, Pelf being Pelf. There were a few bright spots like FERNANDO TATIS but other than that very horrid. Then we changed over and legitimately have been rebuilding for the last few years.

Remember what we said about "hope" for the knicks. Mets, we know were not making anything. Jets were always angling TO make the playoffs or superbowl and always fell short. choking is worse than tanking.
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
Bklyn&company
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,051

Post#96 » by Bklyn&company » Sat Aug 2, 2014 6:56 pm

If im the Mets I not trading my pitching prospects for non-allstars... Dont want inflated Tulo or Carlos Gon. Only will trade for AllStar type maybe ...ex. Matt Kemp.. Who might love the bright lights of NYC...

We should be buyers Im not trading Murphy my best hitter for anything, im rather resign him to a 3-4 yr deal.. And inquire about a big bat for the OF. Our pitching is fine especially with Harvey coming back. We need a better hitting LF and SS.

Sent from my SPH-D710BST using RealGM Forums mobile app
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#97 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Aug 2, 2014 7:00 pm

Bklyn&company wrote:If im the Mets I not trading my pitching prospects for non-allstars... Dont want inflated Tulo or Carlos Gon. Only will trade for AllStar type maybe ...ex. Matt Kemp.. Who might love the bright lights of NYC...

We should be buyers Im not trading Murphy my best hitter for anything, im rather resign him to a 3-4 yr deal.. And inquire about a big bat for the OF. Our pitching is fine especially with Harvey coming back. We need a better hitting LF and SS.

I'm on the Melk-man's bandwagon right now. We can sign him as a FA, improve our production out of LF significantly without giving up anybody.
Free Palestine
KnicksManiac
RealGM
And1: 952

Post#98 » by KnicksManiac » Sat Aug 2, 2014 9:45 pm

AmazingJason wrote:Is it worth it to check out a game at Citi this summer? Are there any good ticket deals? I was looking at StubHub and the lowest prices seem to be $20, which is too much, IMO. I saw an online promo for $10 Student Rush tickets, can I just use a college ID from 10 years ago?

www.mets.com/donuts

50% off tickets to any game. Enjoy.
KnicksManiac
RealGM

Post#99 » by KnicksManiac » Sat Aug 2, 2014 10:19 pm

Bklyn&company wrote:If im the Mets I not trading my pitching prospects for non-allstars... Dont want inflated Tulo or Carlos Gon. Only will trade for AllStar type maybe ...ex. Matt Kemp.. Who might love the bright lights of NYC...

:lol:

In one post, you managed to say:

1. You want Matt Kemp, who literally has negative value. Speaking of negative, his WAR is a -0.7.
2. You don't want Tulo or CarGo because they're non-allstars. CarGo was an all-star in 2012 and 2013. Tulo was an all-star in 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014.
3. You said we need a better hitting hitting LF and SS, the positions that CarGo and Tulo play. But you don't want them. Because they're "non-allstars." Factually speaking, however, they are all-stars. If the season ended today, Tulo would likely be the MVP.

If you're trolling, good job. If you're serious...I really hope you're not serious.

I really need to go back to my Mets message board to discuss the Mets. Can't do this on Real GM.
KnicksManiac
RealGM

Post#100 » by KnicksManiac » Sat Aug 2, 2014 10:34 pm

KnIcKsYaNkSmEtS1127 wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:
KnicksManiac wrote:
I hate to say it, but you're lost.

1. The contract on Tulo is why the Mets won't make this deal??? It's below market value -- I cannot make that clearer. Don't use the argument that "Well the Mets have given other players big contracts and it hasn't worked out so there's no way they'd spend money on the best SS in baseball." That's a terrible attitude to have.

2. He's not just the best shortstop in the NL. He'd probably be the league's MVP if the season ended today.

3. You're just way off base with the "gelling." Turning the double play knowing the other fielders around you? These are big leaguers. They can turn routine double players in their sleep. You don't need to "gel" to turn a double play. And yes, I do think a guy like Wheeler will be better in two years. That's not gelling though. That's just when he's likely to enter his prime.

In 1998, did you not want to give up Preston Wilson in the trade for Piazza? Players like Tulo do not grow on trees. If you have the opportunity to land the best SS in baseball (especially when SS is the weakest position on the Mets right now), you do it.

The real reason not to go after Tulo is because he is often injured and his power numbers are skewed by his ball park. The same reasons to not go after a Jason Bay, a Granderson and other guys whose spray zone is in your home-fields warning track. Mets spent wisely on Johan. Mets would do well to spend on pitchers and bonafide power. I would even be more amenable to Cargo who has other tools to compensate for a power slip at CITI. Mets need two substantial "big boppers" to be the HR threat and then a series of solid guys around those two. Tulo is not going to contribute 40 HR. Not even 30 in a Mets uni. I'd say we need a guy who can safely produce 35 a season. With Duda establishing himself at a near 30 HR/yr level, Wright himself being a low 20's guy, and the possibility that our catcher could have some pop, that one addition is meaningful.

That's what I brought up originally he ignored it and brought up my 13 year old screen name cause you know when people counter point your opinion instead of answering with reason and logic just bring up something that has nothing to do with anything.

I responded to every single point you attempted to make. Again, Tulo's road stats STILL make him the best SS in the league.

It's a small sample size, but he sure enjoys hitting at Citi Field. Might want to check out his numbers there over the past three years. He hits better at Citi than any ballpark in the majors...including Coors Field. :)

Return to New York Mets