ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Pitching an idea for a TV show - anyone ever done it?

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

D-HarpersNose
Banned User
And1: 92

OT: Pitching an idea for a TV show - anyone ever done it? 

Post#1 » by D-HarpersNose » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:10 pm

Hey guys, I am starting a new business in the coming months and my partners and I just got approved for financing last Friday. It's a pretty big venture and it's in an industry that is booming and interesting at the same time. We are starting a waterfront craft brewery in Florida. Anyways, I have been thinking about trying to pitch this idea to different TV stations to see if we could generate any kind of interest. There seems to be quite an interest in the ever-expanding craft beer market and we all know reality TV is here to stay unfortunately. So my question for the board is if anyone has ever had any experience in something like this or if you have any suggestions that may help take this idea to the next level. Compensation would certainly be considered if you can help push this forward. I'd like to think we all (my partners and I) have somewhat interesting lives outside of work and it could potentially make for good TV. Any advice or opinions would be appreciated!
poeman
General Manager
And1: 7,066

Re: OT: Pitching an idea for a TV show - anyone ever done it 

Post#2 » by poeman » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:14 pm

Lol, you got suspended.
King of Canada
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,011

Post#3 » by King of Canada » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:27 pm

poeman wrote:Lol, you got suspended.

:rofl: That's the ultimate GTFO and STFU wow
BAF Pacers

F. Campazzo/ J. Clarkson/ K. Lewis Jr
D. Mitchell/ J. Richardson/S. Merrill
Luka/Melo
Zion/Gay/Gabriel
KAT/Kabengele

F. Mason, Jontay, J. Harris

RIP mags :beer:
D-HarpersNose
Banned User

Post#4 » by D-HarpersNose » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:30 pm

Yes, I have to really watch what I say here. Others.....not so much. Anyways, back on topic....
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,214

Post#5 » by Deeeez Knicks » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:43 pm

A reality show about how following the Knicks have turned me into a raging alcoholic over the years. This may be too depressing for network TV.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,491

Post#6 » by j4remi » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:58 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:A reality show about how following the Knicks have turned me into a raging alcoholic over the years. This may be too depressing for network TV.

They could follow around multiple people in different mindsets...mainly depressed, but throw in one guy who's over optimistic and delusional every year, he'd have to be young though so that his greying hair can show everyone the stress beneath his happy demeanor.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
JSmooth93
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,844

Post#7 » by JSmooth93 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:21 pm

j4remi wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:A reality show about how following the Knicks have turned me into a raging alcoholic over the years. This may be too depressing for network TV.

They could follow around multiple people in different mindsets...mainly depressed, but throw in one guy who's over optimistic and delusional every year, he'd have to be young though so that his greying hair can show everyone the stress beneath his happy demeanor.

Sign me up.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,112

Post#8 » by moocow007 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:50 pm

There's a site called www.castmyreality.com.

It steps you through what to do to try to get your reality TV show idea pitched. I'm not a representative of the site nor have I had personal experience but its pretty detailed.
bleedblue3303
Sixth Man
And1: 1,126

Post#9 » by bleedblue3303 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:58 pm

Ok. I'll be honest with you and have quite a bit of experience in this field. Here is how you need to approach something like this.

THis is the most important piece. DO YOUR RESEARCH!!!!!

1. reality shows aobut businessses are all about the characters. You need to film yourselfs in an interview seperately and together. Showing how you interact and how you are as individuals.

2. have camera guy show business and concept

3. create sizzle reel. Look up online what is a sizzle real..

4. write up a one sheet. Desctibing your idea and exactly whats going to happen over the course of the season. Reality has alot of scripted in the reality. So you need to plan an arch as to whats going to happen and eventually resolve from beginning of season to end.

Once you have done all this forget tv stations. you need to research production companys that specialize in these types of shows. No station or network is EVER going to give you your own show. A production company with a track record and connection can partner with you and get your show made. No one is going to give you a show based on just an idea. YOU MUST GVIE THEM VISUALS. Its not expensive but does take time and money. But if you truly believe the business and your characters are unique enough then you may have somehting.

The other option I would look up bar rescue on spike tv and find the application. Maybe they would send the guy from the beginning of your process with you and you guys would get 1 episode.
poeman
General Manager
And1: 7,066

Post#10 » by poeman » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:06 pm

I saw a piece on how Mike from American Pickers was constantly going on the road making home videos so he could pitch to History Channel...That is a sucess story of a guy trying to pitch something and it getting picked up and being successful.

All in large part to one guy's motivation.

P.S. i love American Pickers
King of Canada
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,011

Post#11 » by King of Canada » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:09 pm

poeman wrote:I saw a piece on how Mike from American Pickers was constantly going on the road making home videos so he could pitch to History Channel...That is a sucess story of a guy trying to pitch something and it getting picked up and being successful.

All in large part to one guy's motivation.

P.S. i love American Pickers

I love American Pickers too! There is a crappy Canadian version. Don't waste your time.
BAF Pacers

F. Campazzo/ J. Clarkson/ K. Lewis Jr
D. Mitchell/ J. Richardson/S. Merrill
Luka/Melo
Zion/Gay/Gabriel
KAT/Kabengele

F. Mason, Jontay, J. Harris

RIP mags :beer:
DE FENSE
RealGM
And1: 2,631

Post#12 » by DE FENSE » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:13 pm

Here's a great instructional video:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofOSlsNz5I8[/youtube]
D-HarpersNose
Banned User

Post#13 » by D-HarpersNose » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:25 pm

bleedblue3303 wrote:Ok. I'll be honest with you and have quite a bit of experience in this field. Here is how you need to approach something like this.

THis is the most important piece. DO YOUR RESEARCH!!!!!

1. reality shows aobut businessses are all about the characters. You need to film yourselfs in an interview seperately and together. Showing how you interact and how you are as individuals.

2. have camera guy show business and concept

3. create sizzle reel. Look up online what is a sizzle real..

4. write up a one sheet. Desctibing your idea and exactly whats going to happen over the course of the season. Reality has alot of scripted in the reality. So you need to plan an arch as to whats going to happen and eventually resolve from beginning of season to end.

Once you have done all this forget tv stations. you need to research production companys that specialize in these types of shows. No station or network is EVER going to give you your own show. A production company with a track record and connection can partner with you and get your show made. No one is going to give you a show based on just an idea. YOU MUST GVIE THEM VISUALS. Its not expensive but does take time and money. But if you truly believe the business and your characters are unique enough then you may have somehting.

The other option I would look up bar rescue on spike tv and find the application. Maybe they would send the guy from the beginning of your process with you and you guys would get 1 episode.

I have researched some local production companies and want to email them the basics to see if they would be interested. Is this something they could potentially think has a chance and work with me as a partner? Or am I going to have to come out of pocket with them from day 1? I don't even know if it's appropriate for me to ask that question without coming off as a dick :lol: Truth is, I got just about everything wrapped up in this loan. It's a pretty big project. I don't have a whole lot of money to throw around chasing some tv idea, but I do think it's got a boatload of potential.
BKAY
Analyst
And1: 1,396

Post#14 » by BKAY » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:18 pm

You need to write a pilot episode, first and foremost. You'll get extra looks if you film said episode on your own dime. It is much easier to shop a done pilot episode that it is to pitch an idea for a TV show. The more you can show that you bring to the table, the more comfortable the production companies will be with getting in bed with you. All else fails, youtube and other internet mediums are great ways to get something going nowadays.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,112

Post#15 » by moocow007 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:40 pm

I was thinking about a reality show about the lives of folks who spend most of their times on a internet board (like a basketball board) and then follow them through their every day life. Each episode would be a different internet blogger.
D-HarpersNose
Banned User

Post#16 » by D-HarpersNose » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:48 pm

moocow007 wrote:I was thinking about a reality show about the lives of folks who spend most of their times on a internet board (like a basketball board) and then follow them through their every day life. Each episode would be a different internet blogger.

I honestly think that would be incredibly interesting. Follow the trolls, the geniuses, the one-uppers, the fake tough guys, the wildly successful folks you never knew participated in message boards, etc. I'm sure you'd run across some real pieces of work, hahaha!
simmons21
Junior
And1: 472

Post#17 » by simmons21 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:28 pm

King of Canada wrote:I love American Pickers too! There is a crappy Canadian version. Don't waste your time.

I used to say the same thing but it's because I just assumed like most canadian versions of reality shows it would suck by comparison.

After watching it though... dead wrong. Wayyyyyy better.
melo mvp 15
Assistant Coach
And1: 393

Post#18 » by melo mvp 15 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:04 pm

I thought this was going to be a joke about the episode of Nathan For You from last night where he pitched a reality show about a security guard who gets distracted by woman with big breasts. If you think that sounds funny, you should check out what they actually made.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvrcHpipzmA[/youtube]

Return to New York Knicks