ImageImageImageImageImage

Greg Monroe and the Triangle

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

brooklynoxy
Senior
And1: 121

Re: Greg Monroe and the Triangle 

Post#41 » by brooklynoxy » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:27 pm

BLACKFEET 2010 wrote:
Boarder Patrol wrote:There are a few problems with Monroe. On defense as a C he's bad. And being bad as a C on defense can kill a team and seriously hampers that team's ceiling unless you have a generational wing cast like Miami. As a PF he's even worse, to the point where it's hardly even worth it to have him on the floor.

Offensively he's a threat, but I don't think plodding post up defenders are really in high demand. Monroe is a no for me at this point.

His upside is that he seems very coachable, values winning/character (not wanting to stay in Detroit for the money right now), and is very durable.

Again, like the above poster stated, most 24 year old big men are gonna have defensive issues. Most are foul magnets that don't understand how to make individual adjustments dictated by the way the game is being officiated that particular night. And then the game moves so fast that the team principles likely stressed over and over in practice go out the window in the heat of the moment and they instinctively rely on what got them by on other levels, strength, size and athleticism. But everybody on the NBA level is strong, big and athletic. So they are usually neutralized by experience. Fouls get called, substitutions made, coach's eyes roll, player pouts, teammates encourage (hopefully).
But eventually they get a grasp of the terminology and the concepts. The good ones anyway. If the coach allows him to learn on the fly eventually the reps pay off. Thanks Detroit. The thing with Greg is that he's already a very productive player despite the flaws. And we can only imagine what their locker room is like with the personalities on that Piston team. We just gotta plug him in to what we are doing here, get his conditioning up, refine his already good footwork, work on a jump shot, etc. Phil and Fish will be huge for him. Very few big men "get it" right out the gate. He's further along than most.
It takes good coaching and patience.

The real question is what would his price be? We are gonna have to overpay, that's a given. But by how much?

I obviously agree with BLACKFEET 2010' points, especially the fact that most young players are foul magnets, their defense is not up to par, and an initial difficulty in keeping up with terminology as well as their own team-mates in practice. Greg is only 24 years old and we all know the axiom that "Big guys take 5 years of NBA experience to develop…" Obviously, players like Ewing, Olajuwon, Jabbar and Russell were exceptions to the rule—there were others and one guy comes to my mind immediately who needed a change of scenery to get his game up to its highest level and this was Robert Parish. I bring Parish up, since he posted decent statistics after 3 or 4 years in Golden State—but became a Hall Of Fame "Big" and 9 time all-star while in Boston.

There is no need for me to reiterate what was highlighted in the quoted post so I'll add one other little point which another poster here made. If the Knicks acquired Greg Monroe as an UFA, I am seeing him as a front-court player. This kid is not a plodding type center nor do I see him at that position. I see him with a defensive-minded center e.g. Cole Aldrich or Jason Smith. Monroe is an excellent passer already at age 24 and the defense will come since the Knicks will need to over-pay and they aren't going to max Greg Monroe out unless they see his potential across the board.

What will Greg Monroe cost New York? He will not cost the Max, IMHO, since 30 NBA teams were either cap-strapped or had a plethora of cap money available and have First Round Picks on their minds rather than winning games. Case in point. I was literally shocked that two other NBA teams e.g. the Lakers or Philly (who has approximately $30 million in Salary Cap Room) were unable to acquire Monroe for the salary I proposed in one of my recent posts, which was 4 years at $14.5 million. There is no way that the Pistons are going to match this figure or ever approach a 5 year $72.5 million dollar package.

Since winning games is not a priority at this time for Philadelphia and gathering as many high Top 4 First Rounders is, one has to wonder how many other franchises are following suit? I suppose that once the NBA Salary Cap goes up to $80 million dollars in 2016-17, the NBA and its fans will know.

There is something about Detroit and the Pistons organization which doesn't jive with Greg Monroe and I suspect that him signing the Q.O. now right after refusing Detroit's offer may mean several things to many people in the inner circle of Greg Monroe.

If Phil offers Greg Monroe $15 Million for 4 years, I think that he hits Monroe's Current Market Value.

Monroe at $15,000,000 per year may be considered overpaying by some, yet his contract will probably be structured like LeBron James', Kevin Love's (when it is signed, of course), LaMarcus Aldrich's, etc, and have an ETO for the player after 2 years.

Monroe can opt out when the salaries go up to $80 million and he proves himself to be what some folks project him to be. And, in typical Knick fashion, Phil will re-sign him as well as a few other guys I have in mind.

PMFJ always wins 8-)
"You have to respect your coach. I know LeBron's a great player, but I think he stepped over the line." Walt "Clyde" Frazier
brooklynoxy
Senior
And1: 121

Post#42 » by brooklynoxy » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:31 pm

BasicBall wrote:He'd be a good fit, can play facing the basket or back to the basket. Plus he can handle the ball. Not sure how good a passer he is, but he'd be a good fit alongside Carmelo. NO doubt in my mind.

Monroe is considered an excellent passer. This kid needs to hone his defensive skills in order to be a MAX player and I strongly believe that he will. He is only 24 years old.
"You have to respect your coach. I know LeBron's a great player, but I think he stepped over the line." Walt "Clyde" Frazier
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Post#43 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:32 pm

Why is there a belief that his defense will definitely improve? I mean, he can learn how to rotate properly (something he has never shown the ability to do), but he's not going to improve his lateral quickness or his vertical jump enough to become a good defender. With his athleticism, he basically is a plodding center...he's as slow, if not slower / less athletic, than Zach Randolph (who at least has a second jump that isn't horrible and knows how to get post position and keep it).

You guys really need to watch some more film on him from the last few years...or you can just watch the DX scouting video that I posted in this thread.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,642

Post#44 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:18 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:Why is there a belief that his defense will definitely improve? I mean, he can learn how to rotate properly (something he has never shown the ability to do), but he's not going to improve his lateral quickness or his vertical jump enough to become a good defender. With his athleticism, he basically is a plodding center...he's as slow, if not slower / less athletic, than Zach Randolph (who at least has a second jump that isn't horrible and knows how to get post position and keep it).

You guys really need to watch some more film on him from the last few years...or you can just watch the DX scouting video that I posted in this thread.

:lol: You're back moderating! Didn't take long, did it? Fuq law school. This is much more fun! :lol:

We need a thread on this to celebrate! :rockon:
Free Palestine
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#45 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:22 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:Why is there a belief that his defense will definitely improve? I mean, he can learn how to rotate properly (something he has never shown the ability to do), but he's not going to improve his lateral quickness or his vertical jump enough to become a good defender. With his athleticism, he basically is a plodding center...he's as slow, if not slower / less athletic, than Zach Randolph (who at least has a second jump that isn't horrible and knows how to get post position and keep it).

:lol: You're back moderating! Didn't take long, did it? Fuq law school. This is much more fun! :lol:

:lol: Still staying in law school. Fewer classes though each term because I started early, so more time not in class = more time to study, lift, hang with friends, etc. Figured I might as well come back because I liked it and I'm going to be posting again anyway :lol:
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 91,034

Post#46 » by Capn'O » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:28 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

:lol: Still staying in law school. Fewer classes though each term because I started early, so more time not in class = more time to study, lift, hang with friends, etc. Figured I might as well come back because I liked it and I'm going to be posting again anyway :lol:

LOL!

I told you that you'd be back in the send off thread. Didn't buy it for a minute.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,128

Post#47 » by moocow007 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:31 pm

RGM Modding is a Helluvadrug.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,642

Post#48 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:49 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

Great idea!

Your temptation is to study, study, study. I would just study, study and leave some time for the things you like to do. For me, it was playing basketball, playing my guitar, napping and going out on Friday nights. Sounds like you figured it out already. :D
Free Palestine
gavran
RealGM
And1: 7,312

Post#49 » by gavran » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:10 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:

If you have withdrawal symptoms from banning people, I can hook you up with a nice list.
RealNy
Sophomore
And1: 62

Post#50 » by RealNy » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:46 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:Tell you this much, the Knicks have a much, much greater shot at landing Greg Monroe than Marc Gasol.

True all i know is that the knicks/lakers are gonna go at it for Marc next year.. Pablo/Calderon are going to try to lure him here though
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#51 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:50 pm

RealNy wrote:
Dr. Detfink wrote:Tell you this much, the Knicks have a much, much greater shot at landing Greg Monroe than Marc Gasol.

True all i know is that the knicks/lakers are gonna go at it for Marc next year.. Pablo/Calderon are going to try to lure him here though

Why Pablo? He's never played a minute with Gasol before. Calderon should theoretically help, but I think it's going to be more on Jackson selling the triangle and potentially championship(s).
BugginOut
Head Coach
And1: 7,829

Post#52 » by BugginOut » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:59 pm

For the people who want to max out Monroe, do you think he can be the 2nd best player on a championship team? Cause in my opinion it is not even close. Plus if we use all our cap space on monroe who are we going to sign to start at C?

Jose/Larkin
Hardaway/Shump?
Melo/Early
Monroe/Acy
Aldrich?/???

Is this the team that people think are going to take out the Cavs? LOL if that is the case then fire Phil now
Dantares
Head Coach
And1: 2,754

Post#53 » by Dantares » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:26 am

David Blaine wrote:For the people who want to max out Monroe, do you think he can be the 2nd best player on a championship team? Cause in my opinion it is not even close. Plus if we use all our cap space on monroe who are we going to sign to start at C?

Jose/Larkin
Hardaway/Shump?
Melo/Early
Monroe/Acy
Aldrich?/???

Is this the team that people think are going to take out the Cavs? LOL if that is the case then fire Phil now

How about that team plus kevin durant? Knicks sign monroe and save 4 million instead of signing gasol. Jr's 6.4 million comes off the books and the cap increases to 80 million which leaves a nice max slot for 2016.
"No protectors here. No Lanterns. No Kryptonian. This world will fall like all the others."

siar617
Analyst
And1: 457

Post#54 » by siar617 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:26 am

If you describe him as plodding, what is Gasol? Molasses?
Fact is investing in him as our future center would be good for now great for later. Next step would be shot blocking pogo stick for him to play next to. That's what our draft pick should be used for. Even though next year is to be a big fa year I only anticipate adding three key pieces. Shot blocker and utility player. Wilson fits the utility Monroe or if god wills it Aldridge as our main big.
siar617
Analyst
And1: 457

Post#55 » by siar617 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:29 am

David Blaine wrote:For the people who want to max out Monroe, do you think he can be the 2nd best player on a championship team? Cause in my opinion it is not even close. Plus if we use all our cap space on monroe who are we going to sign to start at C?

Jose/Larkin
Hardaway/Shump?
Melo/Early
Monroe/Acy
Aldrich?/???

Need him to be our P.Gasol who was not considered a top ten big at the time.
BasicBall
RealGM
And1: 448

Post#56 » by BasicBall » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:31 am

brooklynoxy wrote:
BasicBall wrote:He'd be a good fit, can play facing the basket or back to the basket. Plus he can handle the ball. Not sure how good a passer he is, but he'd be a good fit alongside Carmelo. NO doubt in my mind.

Monroe is considered an excellent passer. This kid needs to hone his defensive skills in order to be a MAX player and I strongly believe that he will. He is only 24 years old.

I think he'd be a good fit next to Melo then.....perfect
Don't raise your voice, improve your argument :nod:
isiah_thomas
Analyst
And1: 1,154

Post#57 » by isiah_thomas » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:33 am

Dantares wrote:

Jose/Larkin
Hardaway/Shump?
Melo/Early
Monroe/Acy
Aldrich?/???

How about that team plus kevin durant? Knicks sign monroe and save 4 million instead of signing gasol. Jr's 6.4 million comes off the books and the cap increases to 80 million which leaves a nice max slot for 2016.

kd is not coming here
isiah_thomas
Analyst

Post#58 » by isiah_thomas » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:38 am

marc gasol please, dont understand the monroe hype
isiah_thomas
Analyst

Post#59 » by isiah_thomas » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:41 am

BasicBall wrote:
brooklynoxy wrote:

I think he'd be a good fit next to Melo then.....perfect

yay for terrible defense
Meat
Head Coach
And1: 4,588

Post#60 » by Meat » Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:01 am

isiah_thomas wrote:marc gasol please, dont understand the monroe hype

it's one of the better legit options, gasol probably aint leaving memphis. all he's done is go on and on about how much he loves the city

Return to New York Knicks