ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Ice Bucket over the Head challenge for ALS

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

OT: Ice Bucket over the Head challenge for ALS 

Post#1 » by Dr. Detfink » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:47 am

Is it me or does this version of KONY 2012, feel a bit UN-challenging? Like what's the big deal...athletes do the ice bucket thing since Gatorade was born.

What do you think would make this lame fundraising gimmick more challenging?

I'll tell you what will make my wallet will loosen, if that sniveling twat Mark Zuckerberg dumped a bucket full of boiling water over his head.

*BAM making it rain PAC Man Jones Style*

Remember, this is all for charity and fun.

#saveourgirls
Moose
Analyst
And1: 1,299

Re: OT: Ice Bucket over the Head challenge for ALS 

Post#2 » by Moose » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:06 am

I mean, maybe mark zuckerberg is a snivelling twat...but what's making you say that exactly?
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#3 » by Dr. Detfink » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:11 am

That was just my example of a celeb ingratiating you into believing they are earning your dollars by doing something that is beneath them.

When it's really not a big deal by any stretch of the imagination.
N8isScofield
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,498

Post#4 » by N8isScofield » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:14 am

Mark Zuckerberg may well be a tremendous douche. I don't know him personally. I can however confidently say that he's done more good with his money than you will likely ever do. In 2 weeks, in large part because of people like Mark Zuckerberg and Bill Gates and other celebrities this "challenge" has raised about 300 times the amount of funding for Lou Gehrigs disease that it got this time last year. 300 times. You can call it lame if you want to but every single one of those people no matter how great or small their contribution has done more to help eradicate a truly awful disease than you. Whether it's an actual challenge or not is irrelevant. And it's not about celebs earning your dollars. It's about using their profiles to bring awareness to a debilitating illness and encouraging people to have fun amongst their friends and colleagues for a good cause. It's brought awareness and money to something that ruins the lives of those unfortunate enough to be afflicted with it and destroys families. How you could look down your nose at something like that is beyond me.
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#5 » by br7knicks » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:26 pm

last year, they raised about $22,000.

last week they were up to $1.35 million.
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#6 » by Dr. Detfink » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:41 pm

How about just writing a check like any honorable person instead of making a spectacle? It's about as sincere as a selfie?

I don't know about you but I donate one pay cheque per year to the red cross. Used to be more when I was a young, single man without a family to raise. I didn't NEED some celebrity to motivate me.

SO I don't understand the fashion of these guys who btw are billionaires and $1.35 million is a tax write off for them.

It's right up there with Kickstarter as an incentive....to give.

Well, an ice bucket is cheap action for something that could be far more creative.
denterprise
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,021

Post#7 » by denterprise » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:42 pm

br7knicks wrote:last year, they raised about $22,000.

In anyone's book, that is called success, end of story.
N8isScofield
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,498

Post#8 » by N8isScofield » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:49 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:How about just writing a check like any honorable person instead of making a spectacle? It's about as sincere as a selfie?

I don't know about you but I donate one pay cheque per year to the red cross. Used to be more when I was a young, single man without a family to raise. I didn't NEED some celebrity to motivate me.

SO I don't understand the fashion of these guys who btw are billionaires and $1.35 million is a tax write off for them.

It's right up there with Kickstarter as an incentive....to give.

Well, an ice bucket is cheap action for something that could be far more creative.

You don't seem to get it. It's about raising money AND awareness. The vast majority of people who have kickstarted these events are college students without a ton of money to donate. You may not like the fact that celebrities are more influential than the average joe but that's not going to change anything. These people are helping. That's all that should matter but of course there are miserable people like yourself who are bitter for whatever reason who find something to bitch about. You should be ashamed of yourself but you don't seem to comprehend how petty and ridiculous this topic is so I'll leave it alone now.
br7knicks

Post#9 » by br7knicks » Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:42 pm

we do BAT to raise money, let's start another one :D
RIP, magnumt '19

Hijinks
Analyst
And1: 1,327

Post#10 » by Hijinks » Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:49 pm

lighten the mood fellas. i know, what you want. Here's a soaking wet tina cervasio for ya. enjoy, you pervs :-) :

full video:
http://www.msg.com/videos.html?vid=2488756478
too many urkels on your team, that's why your wins low
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Post#11 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:55 pm

I think they were closing in 2 million. I did the challenge and donated because I wanted to do both.

@Detfink, it's not about it being challenging...it's about raising awareness, which, it definitely has. You're trying to find a problem where there isn't one.
giantsx6
Banned User
And1: 336

Post#12 » by giantsx6 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:00 pm

Zuckerberg and Gates, donate a lot of money to charity. I have no doubt about it, that they donated a lot more than 100 bucks to the ALS Association also.
DrCoach
General Manager
And1: 4,307

Post#13 » by DrCoach » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:09 pm

Genius marketing
LBnySuaveJav23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,217

Post#14 » by LBnySuaveJav23 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:31 pm

The NBA needs to donate more free throws to Melo.
"Yeah, you are. You right, bro" - Joe Dumars telling every PG on the roster they are starting.
br7knicks

Post#15 » by br7knicks » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:53 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:

I think they were closing in 2 million. I did the challenge and donated because I wanted to do both.

@Detfink, it's not about it being challenging...it's about raising awareness, which, it definitely has. You're trying to find a problem where there isn't one.

yeah, that's what i did. i tried to make it funny, and my brother put it up on his website. i would've donated anyway because it's stupid NOT to, which is how they set up this "challenge."

awesome to hear they're at $2 million though.
RIP, magnumt '19

Dave_Dinero_23
Junior
And1: 74

Post#16 » by Dave_Dinero_23 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:44 pm

They're at 4 million
~Wheeling & Dealing Across The Baseline~
livintoolive
Head Coach
And1: 173

Post#17 » by livintoolive » Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:20 pm

Jealousy over money is a powerful thing. OP can't even explain why he doesn't like the challenge. First it's easy because athletes do it then the example used is Zuckerberg. Some people just can't stand other people's success and every time successful people use their money, these haters think it's being flaunted over them.

People like Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg have spent a lot more on charity with much less publicity. So what's the harm in them doing this too? This is another way to raise money and awareness.

The following quote is the central problem; Jealousy so strong that OP believes he has a right to money earned by other people :

Dr. Detfink wrote:That was just my example of a celeb ingratiating you into believing they are earning your dollars by doing something that is beneath them.

When it's really not a big deal by any stretch of the imagination.
R-DAWG wrote:i'd rather have the pick to package with Amare's contract next offseason, but hey, I'm just an MBA student at NYU what do I know about business.
BugginOut
Head Coach
And1: 7,829

Post#18 » by BugginOut » Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:46 pm

Where the hell did this hate for Zuckerberg come from? So random

And who cares if celebrities do this. It's raising awareness and money for a good cause. Athletes like CP3 and KD already gave away 10,000 for the cause.
AllanHoustonFan
RealGM
And1: 6,966

Post#19 » by AllanHoustonFan » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:09 pm

I don't understand where the venom is coming from, Detfink. It's bringing awareness to a serious disease while at the same time people are having fun doing it. Stop looking for something that's not there.
#MKGA
laploutocratie
Lead Assistant
And1: 12,273

Post#20 » by laploutocratie » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:11 pm

Feels ridiculously contrived for me. I see a new person on FB doing it by the minute and wonder if they even know what ALS is...
x XVII

6ixth_Man wrote:When I die, I want the Raptors to lower me into my grave, so they can let me down one last time

Return to New York Knicks